• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The difference between adults ands students...

Zealot2120

Smash Lord
There are many differences between the young and old, and here is a very interesting one.

http://www.sonypictures.com/mobile/messengers/

The young can hear the ring tone, the old cannot.

Try it. It's insane. My parents can't hear it with my speakers going full blast (killing my ear drums).

EDIT: So far I know of seven youths who tried it, and all of them could hear it. It's been tested on at least six adults, and none of them could hear it so far.

SOME adults WILL hear it, and some youth won't. Post your results.

Rubbish

Smash Journeyman
There are many differences between the young and old, and here is a very interesting one.

http://www.sonypictures.com/mobile/messengers/

The young can hear the ring tone, the old cannot.

Try it. It's insane. My parents can't hear it with my speakers going full blast (killing my ear drums).

EDIT: So far I know of seven youths who tried it, and all of them could hear it. It's been tested on at least six adults, and none of them could hear it so far.

SOME adults WILL hear it, and some youth won't. Post your results.
Here are my results,out of 3 tests.

1st Time
Me,13-Heard
Brother,14-Heard,but only a little
Other Brother,30-Heard

2nd time
Me-Heard
Brother-Didnt hear
Other brother-Head faintly

3rd Time
Me-Heard
Brother heard
Older Brother heard

In between 1 and 2 my Mom heard it.
IN between 2 and 3 my Dad didnt hear it.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Very old, but I cannot hear it. It's just has to deal with how well your hearing is, nothing more.

Zealot2120

Smash Lord
Well no doubt, but from what i've seen so far, that corresponds very well with age.

Rubbish seems to have different results, but from every other person i've talked to, it corresponds perfectly to age.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
it doesn't really have to do with how old you are; it, like Eorlingas said, has to do with how well you can hear. I, 17, can't hear it while several of my teachers, some 30+, can. This is because I listen to my iPod fairly loud (enough to drown out most of the noise around me), I work in a place where pressure cookers go off instantaneously at an incredible volume and when someone asks if they can look at my iPod while I'm listening to it, the first thing they do is turn the volume up full blast.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
"Vibrate" is just as discrete but more fun.

Most schools dont allow their students to use cell phones in class anyway so why not keep it on silent?

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Most schools dont allow their students to use cell phones in class anyway so why not keep it on silent?
Because people like to text message under their desks and don't want to be caught doing it. Personally, I think it's fricking stupid, but whatever.

Anyway, my mom could hear it, and she's over 50. So yeah, it isn't wholly dependent on age.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Because people like to text message under their desks and don't want to be caught doing it. Personally, I think it's fricking stupid, but whatever.
That was me in High School... some classes just get boring, so why not talk to people?

As for those ringtones, I can't hear an actual tone-- I just barely hear a high pitched ringing and crackling.

It might be my laptop speakers though.

If not, I feel bad that I have bad hearing at 18.

Fantasia

BRoomer
BRoomer
Switch FC
SW-3476-8294-6601
I have one of those on my phone, and I played it today, and just about everyone covered their ears. One girl practically begged me to stop. A couple got headaches and one got a stomach ache. Then again, mine was on very loud. I don't know if the teachers heard it, but I know my mom can hear it.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
It is indirectly age dependent, because as you age, your ears become less and less sensitive.

It's not going to be a direct correlation though, because of several factors. Some people just have better "hearing genes" than others and their hearing will last longer.
Others might spend their time listening to loud music or work around loud equipment all day, while others live in a more quiet environment.

Either way it's cool and all but there's really nothing surprising about it.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
22 and I can hear them just fine--they sound awful!

I read that this was developed originally as a way to deter kids from fancy stores.

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
My mom at 43 could hear it, as well as I at 17 and my brother at 15.

I haven't tried my father though...

Zealot2120

Smash Lord
This is really interesting, because for everyone I know, it's worked as it's supposed to.

Of course it is only indirectly related, but it's still a rather strong relation, from what i've seen.

Matt

Banned via Administration
22 and I can hear them just fine--they sound awful!

I read that this was developed originally as a way to deter kids from fancy stores.
Yeah, I read the same thing. I also read that monkeys don't like techno.

Heard it, winced at it, don't have any "older" people around here to test it on, but what's already been stated is true. Your senses dull when you're older (taste and smell, for certain), but the process is slowed depending on how well you take care of yourself.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Yeah, I read the same thing. I also read that monkeys don't like techno.

Heard it, winced at it, don't have any "older" people around here to test it on, but what's already been stated is true. Your senses dull when you're older (taste and smell, for certain), but the process is slowed depending on how well you take care of yourself.
You heard about monkeys not liking techno too!?

Mrs. Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ah that freaking hurt. How bout just turn the phone on silent, pay attention in class and call them back later. That's what I do and it works for me. It will make your grades go up, well, hotdog! How bout that!

Top Bottom