• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

『SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI』Protagonists Support Thread. (Awaiting Reincarnation...)

Hmm, give me a LIFE STONE and I might consider joining you...

• Give LIFE STONE x1

• Refuse

• Trick

• Say you don't have

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
All the SMT protagonists have cool designs, it'd be really great to see any of them in Smash. I've been hoping for the SMT 1 protagonist because I like the retro sci-fi look, with the eyepiece and the computer they hold on their waist, but Flynn is a real cool-looking guy as well.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
On this day 6 years ago SMTIV was released to the Americas. Happy Anniversary for the 10 year long return to form that is this 3DS title!
(Technically I should've celebrated this in May where it came out in Japan, but alas, here we are)

flynn feeding jack frost cookie.jpg

Hopefully, one of these days we'll see Flynn on a big budget console game of some sort.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Figured I'd finally give this franchise a shot due to Joker getting my attention and checking out the lore a bit.
Using Devil Survivor as my starting point since it seems to be a fave amongst that fandom, then gonna play P3FES after that's done.
Bummer that the first 2 Personas are on the high price end, and I'm kinda skeptical of going full triple digits on a game beyond Chrono Trigger on the SNES (maybe P2 If I get lucky at a local retro shop, but Revelations seems to be getting more expensive with age(saw full case at 200 once then saw it again at 300)....rough man.)

osby

Smash Obsessed
Figured I'd finally give this franchise a shot due to Joker getting my attention and checking out the lore a bit.
Using Devil Survivor as my starting point since it seems to be a fave amongst that fandom, then gonna play P3FES after that's done.
Bummer that the first 2 Personas are on the high price end, and I'm kinda skeptical of going full triple digits on a game beyond Chrono Trigger on the SNES (maybe P2 If I get lucky at a local retro shop, but Revelations seems to be getting more expensive with age(saw full case at 200 once then saw it again at 300)....rough man.)
I heavily recommend Devil Survivor, its story is super underrated in MegaTen fandom.

P3 FES didn't age perfectly, but it's still worth your money if you can get through the end.

And not sure if you should bother with first three games. I'd just watch a playthrough.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Though people generally agree that the Persona 2 duology is pretty great, it's
  1. Hard to track down (the only way to play them in English is playing one part's PSP version and one part's PS1 version, which, whaaaaAAaaA???) and
  2. Hard to play, as it's pretty slow and the random encounters are pretty high.
I do want to sit down with Persona 1, 2IS, and 2EP someday but it's not a priority for me right now as I'm more curious of other Shin Megami Tensei games. I wouldn't blame you for watching a playthrough of these games.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne is probably the best mainline SMT game to start with, there's no traditional equipment to manage so there's less of a hassle there, instead you find very rare creatures that bestow powers upon you.

I haven't played Devil Survivor, but I've only heard good things, I say go for it. It's also a given that any of the modern Persona games (3, 4, and 5) are all great starting points if you plan on playing more than just Persona as they teach the basic spell names (Agi = fire spell, Zio = electric, etc).

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
SMT and the 3ds were close friends I'd say check out soul hackers and 4 but devil survivor 1/2 is pretty good too

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Revelations Persona is not worth playing due to its butchered localization including the difficulty being lowered to a laughable level and an entire chunk of the game (the best part of the game) being cut. It's only expensive because it didn't sell well. If you're going to play Persona 1 in English it'll have to be the PSP version, butchered soundtrack and all. The ideal way to play it would be if there was a fan translation of the original because there are irreversible problems with that PSP version, but alas.

I do highly recommend the PSP version of 2 Innocent Sin though as there isn't much wrong with it, along with the original localization of 2 Eternal Punishment for PSX which is solid. The PSP Eternal Punishment should have its fan translation done within the next year? Last I heard they got a new hacker so the patch is making progress.

Also if you're looking for something easily obtainable and accessible I recommend Shin Megami Tensei IV for the 3DS. It's been permanently slashed to $20 on the eShop and that's a super good price for an amazing game.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Devil Survivor 2 is a classic. 1 is also good but either play it first or not at all because 2 does everything better really.

If you have a 3ds check out SMT IV as well. You could easily put 100 hours in that game. And then there’s the sequel, IV: Apocalypse if you like it.

Of course Person 5 is a masterpiece. And you’ll play as Joker.

And of course of course Jack Bros is the best game ever, ho.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I was rethinking how an SMT moveset could work that isn't already covered by other characters. Let's call them Messiah and assume they're SMT1/2/if/SJ/IV esque in inspiration.

Here's the short version
  • Messiah has Magnetite as a mechanic, at a max of 100 similar to Hero's MP as well as "enemy icons" next to his name while he's summoned a demon
  • Neutral, Side and Down Special summon a demon who stays nearby similar to Arsene. The actual demon is random but generally Neutral is a neutral aligned demon, Side is Law and Down is Chaos. There's "common" demon like Jack Frost (neutral), Angel (side) or Melchom (down) and rarer but stronger demons like Titania (neutral), Michael (side) or Belial (down).
  • Summoning uses a set amount of Magnetite and you use Magnetite on each attack when a demon is summoned. In return, your attacks gain extra effects such as disjointed range, projectiles, or even things like better dodges, countering on perfect shields via -karn spells, etc
  • You can summon one, two, three or none, with scaling magnetite uses depending on how many demons are out when you attack.
  • Not all demons affect all moves; Chaos demons mostly affect defensive options for instance, so spamming smash attacks with one out isn't very useful. Generally, Neutral demons add disjoints or projectiles, Law demons improve aerials and movement and chaos demons improve defensive options and durability
  • You gain magnetite back by landing attacks and over time
  • Demons are damaged if you are hit during an attack that uses them and if you get hit too many times they die, preventing you from resummoning them for a while
So in essence, you're turning on and off extra effects that require careful resource management. Messiah themselves is a rather plain sword-and-gun fighter who relies on careful demon usage.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I was rethinking how an SMT moveset could work that isn't already covered by other characters. Let's call them Messiah and assume they're SMT1/2/if/SJ/IV esque in inspiration.

Here's the short version
  • Messiah has Magnetite as a mechanic, at a max of 100 similar to Hero's MP as well as "enemy icons" next to his name while he's summoned a demon
  • Neutral, Side and Down Special summon a demon who stays nearby similar to Arsene. The actual demon is random but generally Neutral is a neutral aligned demon, Side is Law and Down is Chaos. There's "common" demon like Jack Frost (neutral), Angel (side) or Melchom (down) and rarer but stronger demons like Titania (neutral), Michael (side) or Belial (down).
  • Summoning uses a set amount of Magnetite and you use Magnetite on each attack when a demon is summoned. In return, your attacks gain extra effects such as disjointed range, projectiles, or even things like
  • You can summon one, two, three or none, with scaling magnetite uses depending on how many demons are out when you attack.
  • Not all demons affect all moves; Chaos demons mostly affect defensive options for instance, so spamming smash attacks with one out isn't very useful. Generally, Neutral demons add disjoints, Law demons improve aerials and movement and chaos demons improve defensive options and durability
  • You gain magnetite back by landing attacks and over time
  • Demons are damaged if you are hit during an attack that uses them and if you get hit too many times they die, preventing you from resummoning them for a while
So in essence, you're turning on and off extra effects that require careful resource management. Messiah themselves is a rather plain sword-and-gun fighter who relies on careful demon usage.
This is a really cool mix of the central ideas behind Joker and Hero's movesets, mixed with unique SMT elements, nice work.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Let's hope this direct is the one, guys.

EDIT: God ****ing dammit.

Last edited:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Sort of off topic, but we have not heard of SMT V since the first Switch presentation in Japan.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
What would y'all think of a Shin Megami Tensei hero in Smash (Not Referring to Persona) and they did something like Hero were they give them alts and stuff

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
What would y'all think of a Shin Megami Tensei hero in Smash (Not Referring to Persona) and they did something like Hero were they give them alts and stuff
It could work! Most of them have very similar stature and they all don't really have much of an established difference in personality. SMTI Hero, Aleph, Demi-fiend, and Flynn could all work in one. I would think Nintendo might want to promote V though, so perhaps one of those can be swapped out for whoever the V protagonist is.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Actually, that was the original idea for this thread.

However, I changed it to Demi-fiend when it was clear that Sakurai much prefers picking the most popular character from a franchise as opposed to the one that's most "indicative" of it.

I believe originally, I was using SMT1 Hero, Aleph, Flynn, and Nanashi. Maybe substitute the last one for SMTV Hero whenever he decides he wants to exist.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Honestly I kinda want Flynn mostly because Nintendo fans would actually know who he is at least some would and I feel it would help fill the gap that Joker left because to me he's just persona and not Shin Megami Tensei which is fine but I want both in not one lol plus I want to hear the grunge dirty Rock/Metal of SMT and who ever is willing to remix it

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Honestly I kinda want Flynn mostly because Nintendo fans would actually know who he is at least some would and I feel it would help fill the gap that Joker left because to me he's just persona and not Shin Megami Tensei which is fine but I want both in not one lol plus I want to hear the grunge dirty Rock/Metal of SMT and who ever is willing to remix it
Here we have a Camp Ichigaya remix from the Devil May Cry 2/3/4 composer, Tetsuya Shibata, who has also done remixes for Smash Bros. He's a good fit.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
just out of curiosity i started hearing the shin megami tensei IV OST... and dayum.. any chane of that game pulling a "Xenoblade chronicles definitive edition" on the switch?

While i think due to the teaser that gameplay wise won't derive too much of regular JRPG with alittle of dungeon crawling, i feel that the little i ve seen of this games tends to creep me a little in a good way... i wonder if the series could benefit of leaving the JRPG elements to Persona, and try to go a little more into an Horror genre?

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
The Messiah in Smash would be extra dope, so long as they all have Jack Frost as an available demon. Or even just in their taunts. Honestly, Atlus giving no love to SMT at all when they had Joker in kinda sucks, but at the same time it does make me wonder if that means SMT is planned for later(TM).

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I just want SMT anything joker was nice but he doesn't even have SMT music just Themes from his series I want the same treatment for SMT

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I had an idea for a SMT rep although it's kinda meh what if let's say we get Flynn he's a fusion on Joker and Hero only it's a demon with him and no RNG he can switch which demons are with him like Jack Frost etc

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
While i think due to the teaser that gameplay wise won't derive too much of regular JRPG with alittle of dungeon crawling, i feel that the little i ve seen of this games tends to creep me a little in a good way... i wonder if the series could benefit of leaving the JRPG elements to Persona, and try to go a little more into an Horror genre?
SMT is about exploring a destroyed world. As of SMTIV the "dungeon crawling" is exploring actual city wastelands and not just hallways and the like. SMTIV is incredible at generating dread, so I don't doubt SMTV will as well. By comparison, the Persona method of dungeon crawling is much less organic and more abstract.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
just out of curiosity i started hearing the shin megami tensei IV OST... and dayum.. any chane of that game pulling a "Xenoblade chronicles definitive edition" on the switch?

I don't think so. SMT isn't a "horror" game nor does it want to be or will be improved in doing so.

Sure, some of its most potent settings are off-putting, unpleasant, and all-around uncomfortable to explore, but that's what makes it great. Its objective isn't to scare you, but to draw you into its bleak setting. Exploring the wide open ruins of Tokyo with no one besides you but the company of your demons and struggling every moment to find the next rest spot while managing your resources and stamina? That's peak SMT tone, and it would be ruined if it turned into a scare simulator where you're confined to a building or something.

Persona's RPG elements are honestly relatively light in comparison and dungeon-crawling is treated as only something slightly more dire than an extra-curricular activity to do with your friends occasionally. 70% of the time, you'll be at school socializing then you'd actually be "dungeon-crawling." Unlike crafting a "world" per se, it's more effective at being a theme park attraction with lots of varied disjointed settings.

Basically, being an RPG is SMT's meat n potatoes, while for Persona it shares the spotlight with the social sim aspect of the game. If anything, Persona should lean more into the social elements, because that's the stuff that's popularized it.

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Besides like, SMT's battle system is the best in the industry, if it went away I'd be very upset. Nothing else compares.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Here we have a Camp Ichigaya remix from the Devil May Cry 2/3/4 composer, Tetsuya Shibata, who has also done remixes for Smash Bros. He's a good fit.
Oh yeah, some banging tracks kinda just... get lost to time unfortunately.

The Messiah in Smash would be extra dope, so long as they all have Jack Frost as an available demon. Or even just in their taunts. Honestly, Atlus giving no love to SMT at all when they had Joker in kinda sucks, but at the same time it does make me wonder if that means SMT is planned for later(TM).
Yeah, you'd think Joker would summon Jack Frost for at least ONE taunt, instead of... Morgana 3 times. Hell, he didn't even get a spirit, and frankly that's a bit insulting when he's an easily acquired .png file, and Dragon Quest got loads of their iconic monsters. Jack Frost is the Atlus company mascot for Pete's sake.

Besides like, SMT's battle system is the best in the industry, if it went away I'd be very upset. Nothing else compares.
Oh I absolutely adore the press-turn. It's volatile, tense, and engaging, but also very easy to pick up and understand. It's a master-class of good game design and I'd love to see it return for more games than just SMT3, 4/4A, and DDS1/2.

Now if only smt v could come out of hiding
Ha, one day, it will. Whether it'll be because they finally developed enough to make a trailer or to announce that it's been cancelled, it's coming into the light one way or another...

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

Yeah, you'd think Joker would summon Jack Frost for at least ONE taunt, instead of... Morgana 3 times. Hell, he didn't even get a spirit, and frankly that's a bit insulting when he's just a .png file, and Dragon Quest god loads of their iconic monsters. Jack Frost is the Atlus company mascot for pete's sake.

Oh I absolutely adore the press-turn. It's volatile, tense, and engaging, but also very easy to pick up and understand. It's a master-class of good game design and I'd love to see it return for more games than just SMT3, 4, 4A, and DDS1 and 2.

Ha, one day, it will. Whether it'll be because they finally developed enough to make a trailer or to announce that it's been cancelled, it's coming into the light one way or another...
That's why I hope we see a smt character and I think it could happen but after this pass I don't wanna wait for a new game as smash fans I want to drop well this company got 1 character already so it doesn't need anymore and replace it with this franchise doesn't need representation

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
That's me with the entire Persona soundtrack, since it's been overwritten by the PSP remake. A Lone Prayer is nowhere near as baller as the original theme.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
That's me with the entire Persona soundtrack, since it's been overwritten by the PSP remake. A Lone Prayer is nowhere near as baller as the original theme.
I like how we're talking about Persona 1, 2IS and 2EP in the SMT thread because they've also been forgotten by Atlus /s

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I like how we're talking about Persona 1, 2IS and 2EP in the SMT thread because they've also been forgotten by Atlus /s
I wouldn't say forgotten I'd say respectfully not touched they at least have the protags in anniversary artwork and drop references here and there

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say forgotten I'd say respectfully not touched they at least have the protags in anniversary artwork and drop references here and there
Yeah that's why I put the /s at the end. It stands for "sarcasm" and denotes the previous sentence as not really meaning what it seems to at first glance.

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Look they're basically honorary SMT games at this point with how far the later games have removed the series from that dark existential dread and palpable atmosphere.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to celebrate a national Holiday.

I've had so many spur-of-the-moment feelings of "I wanna replay this" the past year or so. I don't have much time to sit in front of a TV anymore though, so I haven't acted on them.

Still waiting for a single mainline SMT game to come to Switch. It would really help with the wait for SMT V...right, Atlus?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to celebrate a national Holiday.

A reminder of Atlus being so stubborn with their habits that not even Capcom bringing back that game's main selling point in the West is enough to incite them for a port, never mind an HD remaster.

Not that it would happen anyway, seeing as the rerelease of Maniax nixed Dante for Raidou...

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Pop the champagne boys, it's a special day today.
It's the Two year anniversary of the latest SMTV Trailer.

And about 1013 days since it was first teased on January 2017.
Time sure flies when you're having fun, huh?

A reminder of Atlus being so stubborn with their habits that not even Capcom bringing back that game's main selling point in the West is enough to incite them for a port, never mind an HD remaster.

Not that it would happen anyway, seeing as the rerelease of Maniax nixed Dante for Raidou...
Nocturne remake with a combination of Demi-fiend, Dante, Raidou, and a bonus Bayonetta would be the sickest thing.

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Oh christ it's really been that long huh, that's sorta depressing.

hopefully it doesn't come back as tokyo mirage sessions 2

Top Bottom