• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definitive Lloyd Irving Thread - fall down seven times, stand up eight (Mii costume confirmed)

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
This is a bit weird to ask in this thread, but what are you opinions about Yuri?

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
I’m sure you all heard about the ARMS presentation coming Monday, while I’m excited to see who it is I’m also keeping an eye out for the mii costumes and hoping our boy is absent.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I’m sure you all heard about the ARMS presentation coming Monday, while I’m excited to see who it is I’m also keeping an eye out for the mii costumes and hoping our boy is absent.
If it's anything like Banjo and Byleth.

I expect:

- The remaining Capcom costumes
- Another 1st party one
- From another company
- A premium indie costume

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice
OUR BOY SURVIVED. I was so worried when I saw the Heihachi costume. Also, his greatest competitor within the company is gone, so things are looking quiet a lot better for him/Tales of nows. (knocks on wood)

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Yeah heihachi mii puts Lloyd in a better spot, just worried about how he didn't come with music and his costume didn't change at all or get updated, I thought we'd get old man heihachi as well but fingers crossed Lloyd is announced next.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
WE LIIIIIVE!!!!! :D
God this presentation was good, we got upgrades now finally confirmed (doesn't matter the type nor how much naysayers want to twist it, upgrades are upgrades and they will happen if nintendo wants it in particular cases, period), heihachi is out of the way and Lloyd is still alive. Now we wait in anxiety hoping he doesn't get deconfirmed in any other mii costume section or during spirit events in between fighter packs… lol

Misuta

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4574-4296-7309
My heart was beating like crazy when Heihachi was revealed and I thought "Oh, oh, no Lloyd Mii costume please".
BUT HE IS ALIVE!

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
You know, Now that neutral b is an option for smash attacks and also inputs in the air. Lloyd’s ascended Artes or enhanced arts could be a thing. Sword rain and sword rain alpha or tempest/psi tempest could all be viable things

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
You know, Now that neutral b is an option for smash attacks and also inputs in the air. Lloyd’s ascended Artes or enhanced arts could be a thing. Sword rain and sword rain alpha or tempest/psi tempest could all be viable things
That is actually a very nice catch. Lloyd's moveset potentially could be very interesting and fun beyond what we were thinking so far. Sakurai definitely surprised us with a few things we never predicted for an Arms moveset already.

Ypsen

Smash Apprentice
That's amazing ! I was already quite surprised Tales manage to steal the N°1 place from LoZ once, but staying on top is even less expected ! Tells you a lot about Tales of popularity.

I know right ?! Could be a simple way to input his two fighting style from ToS with two different sets of artes ! Would even be better if it changes his normal moves or Smash attacks. But I may be too greedy... The only thing I want, it's that he has a moveset that stands out with other characters. I didn't find Banjo and Byleth so special, they're quite plain to be honest. Would be a disaster if Lloyd "stands out" only by his stats or his range... I really don't want him to be the paragon of the "generic swordman" and being the target of all the haters.

Anyway, same reaction with Heihachi. I was starting sweating bullets. I can't help to feel more positive about Lloyd. I still think his chance are low, but I can't argue that's definitively a good news that he didn't appears with Heihachi. I guess it's still possible that he appears as a Mii, but less likely.

I swear, if he doesn't appear as a playable fighter nor as a Mii... It would be a crime indeed.

IWantMyBurd

Smash Apprentice
That's amazing ! I was already quite surprised Tales manage to steal the N°1 place from LoZ once, but staying on top is even less expected ! Tells you a lot about Tales of popularity.

I know right ?! Could be a simple way to input his two fighting style from ToS with two different sets of artes ! Would even be better if it changes his normal moves or Smash attacks. But I may be too greedy... The only thing I want, it's that he has a moveset that stands out with other characters. I didn't find Banjo and Byleth so special, they're quite plain to be honest. Would be a disaster if Lloyd "stands out" only by his stats or his range... I really don't want him to be the paragon of the "generic swordman" and being the target of all the haters.

Anyway, same reaction with Heihachi. I was starting sweating bullets. I can't help to feel more positive about Lloyd. I still think his chance are low, but I can't argue that's definitively a good news that he didn't appears with Heihachi. I guess it's still possible that he appears as a Mii, but less likely.

I swear, if he doesn't appear as a playable fighter nor as a Mii... It would be a crime indeed.
I actually found Banjo and Byleth refreshing. After Joker and Hero, it was nice to get some more straightforward characters. A well-integrated gimmick is still a gimmick, and they're not needed to stand out. Look at Daisy and Dark Samus - they don't stand out because of their unique moves, they stand out because they're unique characters. Even being basically copy-paste fighters, they still have their fans and they both made a lot of people happy. Just like Lloyd will if/when he gets in, haters or no haters.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
This is a bit weird to ask in this thread, but what are you opinions about Yuri?
Yuri is a great character, but I think Lloyd would represent Tales far better with his "Demonic" fighting style, which is the original fighting style of the first game's protagonist. He's also more interesting conceptually as a dual-wielding sword fighter.

My heart was beating like crazy when Heihachi was revealed and I thought "Oh, oh, no Lloyd Mii costume please".
BUT HE IS ALIVE!
Honestly, going into the presentation, I was so ready to see my dreams crushed, and when I saw Heihachi, I was like, "Yep. The rest are inevitable." But after it ended, I was like, "Wow... Lloyd is still alive... LLOYD IS STILL ALIVE!" Now, I'm more hyped than ever! I'm just praying to the video game gods that Scott Menville will reprise his role. PLEASE!

DEMON FANG!
SWORD RAIN!
TIGER BLADE!
SONIC THRUST!
TEMPEST!
RISING FALCON!

I need it!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I feel horrible for the Heihachi fans my best to him he will happen one day.

Glad things are still looking good for Lloyd.

andree123

Smash Ace
Yuri is a great character, but I think Lloyd would represent Tales far better with his "Demonic" fighting style, which is the original fighting style of the first game's protagonist. He's also more interesting conceptually as a dual-wielding sword fighter.

Honestly, going into the presentation, I was so ready to see my dreams crushed, and when I saw Heihachi, I was like, "Yep. The rest are inevitable." But after it ended, I was like, "Wow... Lloyd is still alive... LLOYD IS STILL ALIVE!" Now, I'm more hyped than ever! I'm just praying to the video game gods that Scott Menville will reprise his role. PLEASE!

DEMON FANG!
SWORD RAIN!
TIGER BLADE!
SONIC THRUST!
TEMPEST!
RISING FALCON!

I need it!
Don't forget his Japanese voice.
As expected, Japanese voice actors usually always reprise their roles as the same character.

Last edited:

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
So far the only 3rd party mii costumes missing are Geno, Lloyd, the monster hunter costumes and Gill.

I see this going down one of the following ways-

1. All costumes are brought back periodically throughout the fighters pass (worse case scenario)

2. Geno and Lloyd become playable characters and get new mii costumes along with them

3. Lloyd becomes playable and along with him returns the Gill costume (seeing as they’re both Namco properties)
1592928333356.jpeg

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
So far the only 3rd party mii costumes missing are Geno, Lloyd, the monster hunter costumes and Gill.

1. All costumes are brought back periodically throughout the fighters pass (worse case scenario)

2. Geno and Lloyd become playable characters and get new mii costumes along with them

3. Lloyd becomes playable and along with him returns the Gill costume (seeing as they’re both Namco properties)
View attachment 275952
4. Somehow Gil ends up being playable

MattX20

Smash Hero
Lloyd is by far the Namco frontrunner right now. Possibly as early or late as FP9 we might see him if the rumors about Crash bein FP8 turn out to be true

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

View attachment 275952
4. Somehow Gil ends up being playable
5. Somehow it's not even one of them but another Namco character. Be it something obscure like Klonoa or something else :laugh:

But of course I just hope Lloyd finally makes it in, it's been long enough… let us just have it already.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The only real obstacle for Lloyd left at this point is whether or not there will be a 2nd Bandai Namco rep, but the odds of a 2nd rep are pretty high right now

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice
Basically, Heihachi’s mii costume returning Is either a blessing, or a red herring.
I'm kinda in the same boat right now. On one hand, Heihachi no longer being the picture is an objective good thing for Lloyd, as he up to this point was Lloyd's main competition. On the other hand, like you said, it could also signify that his costume might be dropped randomly in a presentation or with another Bamco character (or with a different Tales character for that matter). Whether it is a good or bad thing is to be seen, especially since we currently are working off of one data point for this fighter pass (for example, if next presentation there are no returning costumes, that heavily favors us). Honestly, its kinda the same place we were before Heihachi got dropped, he is either being upgraded as a playable character or he is returning as a mii costume. Only unlike before, all eyes are now on Lloyd instead of Heihachi. We can only hope Nintendo finally has decided to throw Bamco/ the Tales of team a bone with this pass and finally add him.
A bit late to the party, but I like him, he probably is my favorite part of Vesperia (even if I'm not the biggest fan of Tales of Vesperia compared to other Tales of games). I definitely prefer Lloyd over Yuri if we are talking about smash bro reps, but at the same time I wouldn't be completely mad if Yuri got the slot.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Tales of Arise got delayed.

On topic, I'm hoping Lloyd makes it in this time.

Last edited:

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
Tales of Arise got delayed.

On topic, I'm hoping Lloyd makes it in this time.
Well that sucks, understandable though.

I think we’ll have a clearer idea of where Lloyd stands by the time the next character is released.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Damn, no Tales game this year is gonna suck… unless there was a miracle port or remaster coming of another Tales game, that would be nice… So far we haven't gotten a single new game this year composed by Motoi Sakuraba, and each year we see multiple of them with his music. Hopefully we get that Golden Sun HD happening and/or a Tales game.
unnamed.jpg

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Came across this moveset. It's unique. I would change the down B into Sonic Thrust, but anyways if Lloyd gets in like this he could be really technical.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Here's praying Lloyd / Tales keeps avoiding spirit events as well as the mii coming back, we've done well for 2 years so far! lol
lloyd.jpg

Top Bottom