• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The De-Sync/AI Thread

Som

Smash Cadet
thats right its back and L at the exact same time if your using a gamecube controller . Use it when your opponent is in the air and coming straight down on you.

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion, this is the easiest way to desynch: pressing start! This only works online though, as pressing start in offline would be disruptive.

Anyways, after pressing start JUST TAP A(!!) to exit out of the pop-up window. Not only will this exit out, but this will also make ONLY Nana jab, and boom desynched IC! You can also test it in the practice stage while waiting for a match.

Remember this works best when you're not being attacked.

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
Alright, just tried it out again. I got lucky the last few times I guess, as this isn't as easy anymore. It seems you need to quickly release A- basically as if you were doing an IC SH in Melee. But once you get used to it, it's a breeze. Be careful not to accidentally press "No Contest"!

Also to the Side+B desynch: there are many attacks that have the effect that enables a chance to desynch, for example u-tilt works the same way.

KazenoZ

Smash Apprentice
Found another De-synch.
If you press Z(Or just grab on w/e controller setting you're using) and tap back at the same time, Nana will initiate a grab while Popo rolls back, pretty easy to do, but Nana can re-synch pretty fast.
The best way to implement this would probably be when doing this facing away from your opponent with a bit more than a roll distance between you.
I guess this could be called the Reverse Grab De-synch, seeing as there's already one called Grab De-synch that's different entirely =P

Again, has this been known already?

Edit:
I've experimented with this a little more, and found a few uses more than what I thought at first.
This isn't good just for De-synching, it's a technique of it's own!
First, if you Reverse Grab Roll in about a character's distance between you and the opponent, no matter what direction your facing Nana would teleport into a grab on the enemy! This is awsome in so many ways, it lets you set up for grab combos and can land an easy finisher.
Second, if you RGR and land with Popo right into the enemy, you can quickly initiate an Utilt(Very hard with Tap Jump turned on btw) and while the opponent is still stuck in the attack, command an Usmash, Nana will slide to you and smash the opponent out of the Utilt. This is very hard to pull off, as the timing is really strict, but if you land it correctly, it cannot be avoided, it happens too fast to give the opponent time to DI out of it.

There are probably ALOT more ways to use this, and I'm going to keep looking, if anyone finds something, let us know.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Not sure if this has been found or not but you can desynch if you buffer a turnaround/Pivot after an aerial. I'd say the timing in comparable to L-cancelling in Melee where you do it right before you hit the ground. Basically, you press the opposite direction that you're facing and Popo will turn while Nana dashes forward. I've managed to toss a block into a nana Blizzard into a grab from a reversed Bair.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Initial Dash Desynch (I can do this consistently now): Dash in the opposite direction that you are standing in, using the initial dash animation. As it ends, input a move, and only Nana will react to it. Alternatively, you can press and release shield, and input a move, and Popo will perform the move as Nana releases her shield. The timing on either is tricky.

Turnaround Desynch: I believe I read something about this in Melee, but I'm not sure if this is the same thing. Quickly tap the control stick in the opposite direction that you are standing in, and Nana will do a short dash forward, as Popo merely turns around. Input a 'B' move, and you will desynch.

Landing Desynch!: Somehow this actually works (around the annoying buffering stuff). Short-hop, b-air as soon as you can, and after it ends, b-air again. The second b-air only comes out for Popo, and as he lags, you can desynch with any move. (still needs testing)

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Initial Dash Desynch (I can do this consistently now): Dash in the opposite direction that you are standing in, using the initial dash animation. As it ends, input a move, and only Nana will react to it. Alternatively, you can press and release shield, and input a move, and Popo will perform the move as Nana releases her shield. The timing on either is tricky.

Turnaround Desynch: I believe I read something about this in Melee, but I'm not sure if this is the same thing. Quickly tap the control stick in the opposite direction that you are standing in, and Nana will do a short dash forward, as Popo merely turns around. Input a 'B' move, and you will desynch.

Landing Desynch!: Somehow this actually works (around the annoying buffering stuff). Short-hop, b-air as soon as you can, and after it ends, b-air again. The second b-air only comes out for Popo, and as he lags, you can desynch with any move. (still needs testing)
Your desynch mastery never ceases to amaze me. :(

Som

Smash Cadet
Not sure if this has been found or not but you can desynch if you buffer a turnaround/Pivot after an aerial. I'd say the timing in comparable to L-cancelling in Melee where you do it right before you hit the ground. Basically, you press the opposite direction that you're facing and Popo will turn while Nana dashes forward. I've managed to toss a block into a Nana Blizzard into a grab from a reversed Bair.

amazing first new desync in a long time. It works well is easy (I just tried it) and is going to add allot to the Icy's approach for the air. good find ! :)

rklamer

Smash Cadet
Haha, Wobbles. When it comes down to it, smashbros.com was the first place to confirm that ICs will down+B in the same direction if done in midair, back in September. :p

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/iceclimbers.html

"Use it in the air and both climbers will face the same direction for double the power!"

Probably something you knew though, and were only joking.

vipercaleb1

Smash Cadet
im not leaving them ive been playing brawl everyday and love them ill post some vids after final round and ill tell u what i discovered..u just have to approach different and play them more defensive but there are some insane combos u can still do..wobbles i will keep u posted
THANK YOU!!!! I died when wobbles said he was leaving the ICs, but atleast some ppl r staying true to them!!

KazenoZ

Smash Apprentice
So I suppose the techinque I found was already known seeing as no one even cares about it? =\

dukelion

Smash Rookie
i can get the desynch down, but whenever i try to run across the map, if i dont use attacks or w/e, they resynch, ideally whats the best way to keep them desynched and move?

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Kaze, I like that desynch. It seems to be one of the faster ways to desynch in Brawl.

OK listen up everyone. You can desynch out of Up Smash. I'm not sure on the details yet though. It seems like it can only be done on a slanted floor or platform. I've done it on the top platform of the Great Sea and on the slants on Halberd. Also, both times I charged it at least a bit, and fully charged on the Great Sea. I suggest everyone experiment with this and find out when/how it works. ^_^

edit: dukelion, I think short hops w/Ice blocks/blizzards or just walking around and pivoting with smashes or tilts will work.

ShortAssassin

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I'm new to the Ice Climbers and never faced any competent IC players in melee, so although I knew about de-syncing, I never really experimented with it or saw it in action.

However, in Brawl ICs are looking like one of my better options. I've learned the various grab combos and am doing will with them, so now I'm focusing on de-syncing and its uses. Can anyone give me a run down of when good times to de-sync are and what to try to accomplish through de-syncing? Thanks.

KazenoZ

Smash Apprentice
Sure thing.
The best way to explain it to someone who's trying to get the concept of it would probably be this; A de-synch is a way to give you the ability to use both climbers as 2 seperate characters for a short time. This means, you can make the climbers be at different places on the stage and attack differently, like, having Popo jump at your opponent with a Nair and then follow up with a jump with Nana into a meteor into oblivion(Considering you're far enough away from the stage), instead of having both jump in and do either of the 2.
Basicly, you said you managed to master the grab comboes, so you should be familiar with the Dthrow into Nana Fair, that's a form of having both characters act differently, but I wouldn't consider it as a proper de-synch, unless you carry off from there keeping there de-synched.
Like you've seen there are many ways to desynch the climbers, each one varies in it's uses, some are better for special move spamming and some for aerial comboing, some even for ground comboing, but all in all, every desynch can do any of the above.
One thing about the desynch though, you've gotta be fast on your fingers, if you don't make constant stalling movements with both, or just aren't fast enough, they'll just resynch when they get the chance.
Things you should watch out for;
SideB when too close to Nana.
UpB when anywhere near Nana.
And UpB for real recovery if you're desynched while falling.

I hope this helps pass you the main idea.

Ultimatum479

Smash Apprentice
This is a rather unorthodox and very situational desynch, but footstool jumping seems to be pretty effective as a desynch because Nana almost never attempts it with Popo. However, if you then try to air-dodge while Nana is above your falling enemy, she usually _will_ footstool jump while Popo airdodges, for some reason. So you get a double-FSJ on your opponent and you're desynched. It's pretty fun if you can land it.

ShortAssassin

Smash Journeyman
Sure thing.
The best way to explain it to someone who's trying to get the concept of it would probably be this; A de-synch is a way to give you the ability to use both climbers as 2 seperate characters for a short time. This means, you can make the climbers be at different places on the stage and attack differently, like, having Popo jump at your opponent with a Nair and then follow up with a jump with Nana into a meteor into oblivion(Considering you're far enough away from the stage), instead of having both jump in and do either of the 2.
Basicly, you said you managed to master the grab comboes, so you should be familiar with the Dthrow into Nana Fair, that's a form of having both characters act differently, but I wouldn't consider it as a proper de-synch, unless you carry off from there keeping there de-synched.
Like you've seen there are many ways to desynch the climbers, each one varies in it's uses, some are better for special move spamming and some for aerial comboing, some even for ground comboing, but all in all, every desynch can do any of the above.
One thing about the desynch though, you've gotta be fast on your fingers, if you don't make constant stalling movements with both, or just aren't fast enough, they'll just resynch when they get the chance.
Things you should watch out for;
SideB when too close to Nana.
UpB when anywhere near Nana.
And UpB for real recovery if you're desynched while falling.

I hope this helps pass you the main idea.
Thanks Kaze. This, and some supplementary reading from the melee IC boards have helped me get the idea. Now just to start implementing it.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Ultimatum that is one of the best desynchs I've heard of so far. The reason she WILL FS jump them when you airdodge prolly has something to do with the fact that you temporarily lose control of Popo.

But how can you get her to FS jump if she also airdodges when you do?

ShortAssassin: Look at my Melee vids on Youtube and the TAG (Tan Army Gaming) videos on Google Video. I usually desynch aggressively, using the lack of lag to get better combos and to pressure my enemy, forcing a mistake. I personally think I am one of the best users of Melee desynching, although I am not a very good player compared to some.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Another new one - SH, FF, and right as Popo lands, input Blizzard/any smash. Blizzard causes Nana to Blizzard as Popo lands. If you smash at the right time, Nana is still in the air/landing, and Popo will do a solo smash. In short, SH -> FF -> Nana-Blizzard or Popo-Smash.

These new desynchs are fast, but I doubt any of them are as useful as the pivot. Truthfully, Pivot Desynch is the only one I bother using. It's the fastest, the easiest, and accomplishes any kind of desynch you could possibly need.

Purple Black

Smash Rookie
Another new one - SH, FF, and right as Popo lands, input Blizzard/any smash. Blizzard causes Nana to Blizzard as Popo lands. If you smash at the right time, Nana is still in the air/landing, and Popo will do a solo smash. In short, SH -> FF -> Nana-Blizzard or Popo-Smash.

These new desynchs are fast, but I doubt any of them are as useful as the pivot. Truthfully, Pivot Desynch is the only one I bother using. It's the fastest, the easiest, and accomplishes any kind of desynch you could possibly need.
Agreed... although, I did manage to find good use of the 'Reverse Grab Roll'

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
I think the z plus back was posted in the first page. Ive beeen using this one a lot. I find its the quickest way to de-synch. I've never tried actually grabbing someone with it. Ill experiment later.

Noel aka Sexy

Smash Rookie
Another way to desync them is when you up b to the ledge simply get on the stage right away with popo and nana will stay on the ledge and she'll get on after you do another input so they'll be desynced.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
ah yeah, Z roll desynch... is ultimate.

best desynch right here guys. whoever discovered it, much love.

SuperSmasher962

Smash Cadet
I want to main IC but i understand none of this can anyone tell me a combo that shows the climbers de-synched so i can see what it is like or at least tell me what it would look like

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
Why has the first page not been updated since 2-13-08? Can someone please PM the OP so we can keep all these desynch techniques organized into one post?

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
if i do de-sync them how do i input stuff for nana to do and different stuff for popo
When you initially desynch one IC will be performing an action while the other will be free. Which ever command you input will go to the IC that is free, then the next command you input will go to the other IC, and so on.

SuperSmasher962

Smash Cadet
ahh ok i think i got it then. so if the ice blocks aren't right next to each other but their spread apart like
__^__^
instead of
__^^__
that would be a de-sync?

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
Yup, As would nana and popo doing squall hammer w/o the white shiny things, or doing blizzard alternately.

Basically, If they do different things, or the same thing at different times, they are desynched.

KazenoZ

Smash Apprentice
ahh ok i think i got it then. so if the ice blocks aren't right next to each other but their spread apart like
__^__^
instead of
__^^__
that would be a de-sync?
Not always actually.
Sometimes they shoot out the blocks at different times, but if you try to move afterwards you'll see they're actually synched.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I think this was the desynch I was talking about when I talked about accidentally doing the Bair -> Blizzard thing. I'm gonna test this out. It has potential. I like it.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
^ lol

Wobbles decided against maining the ICs in Brawl, so it looks like he forgot about this thread.

I think this was the desynch I was talking about when I talked about accidentally doing the Bair -> Blizzard thing. I'm gonna test this out. It has potential. I like it.
Actually, what I thought was a landing desynch is what you described. If you connect with a b-air, Nana can desynch with any move afterwards. Pretty cool.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Wtf, Wobbles really banned? That'd be a seriously sad day in history. Gotta find out what happened. Guess it's Popo and Nana's way of saying "**** you" for dropping them, if that is in fact true, LoL. Maybe some1 else PM a mod to ask for control of the thread now, or something? That would be a lot better than making another one, IMO. What's this landing bair desynch, now? Some1 explain. And sorry if it's in one of the past few pages; I don't have time to read atm. Thanks...

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
It's just a custom title guys... don't worry. He did stop maining the ICs, though. :(

For the b-air desynch, simply SH a b-air. If it connects with someone, you can desynch with Nana immediately after, with any move. Ice Shot and Blizzard both work, as does any aerial (which you can follow up with Popo after he lands, because Nana suffers landing lag).

Edit - Apparently, it works with any aerial.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Hmm, did I read that on a earlier stage or did I just read and got inspiration for something kinda broken, what if you grab a FS and desynchs so only Nana performs it, does popo keep it or does Nana just use iceblock ? XD

Top Bottom