• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Dangers of 1.0.4 Patch

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Are you still able to test 1.0.3? Before updating I got TL's attack percentages and his dair did 17%, and now it does 16%. Not really the biggest change, but I'm curious if his dair really was nerfed or if I made a mistake somewhere.
:170:
Yeah I can, It was 16% before and now.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

Seriously guys, Toon Link loses 1 AT and you all start finding new characters to main. Do you guys have no courage?

(P.S not trolling)

Jet Set Smash

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0662-4082-0172
Warning Received
[THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR FRIENDCODES]

Love
The Mod Squad

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Seriously guys, Toon Link loses 1 AT and you all start finding new characters to main. Do you guys have no courage?

(P.S not trolling)
Honestly, I can't say I blame people for dropping him. If I remember correctly he was only C tier in Brawl, yet was nerfed extremely badly and had almost everything going for him removed in Smash 4. BLC was the only real improvement he got and only hope for TL being viable besides customs, and it made him really fun to play. That doesn't leave much reason to main him. Personally, the only reason I still main him is because I like his playstyle more than any of the other characters. Overall, Sakurai really screwed up on TL, and not only removing BLC but giving no buffs to make up for it just makes the problem even worse.

mush21

Smash Rookie
That's the thing, it was -fun- to use, and made him fun/unique to play. As he stands now, he's a faster version of Link, with way less KO power, priority, and camping ability.

I really like the character b/c I loved Wind Waker; such a shame.

Cyre

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much what artemis said. I can't drop tink due to loving his aesthetic and his playstyle. Losing Blc was huge though. Its much harder to approach without it and if you get knocked into the air, your main option to space is now zair. Zair isn't very good in my opinion since you need to be very precise and it really depends on the character you are facing, defines how hard it will be to land it.

I don't know honestly. This is just really disheartening to be honest. Lil mac gets a buff to his KO punch to make it KO earlier. Why this attention and love was given to a character that was already strong and didn't need it, while toon link is left with nothing to show is beyond me.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I will agree Toon Link does need some buffs here and there, but as he stands at the moment, it's really not that many, most lag reductions and better up b in air

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
After finally getting a chance to download the patch and play a little online, I found myself having to play Toon Link more evasively now that BLC is gone. I still think he's a great character, and one I'm going to continue playing regularly, but I definitely see that he could use some buffs in the future. Personally I'm hoping for a little more knockback given to his Smash Attacks, and of course a little reduced landing lag here and there. I feel as if Toon Link's Smashes are hard enough to nail so that when we do, we should be granted a little more knockback than what we get at the moment in order to earn a K.O. a little earlier. Hopefully we'll get some significant updates that will give Toon Link a better meta game in the future. I know things are looking grim, but let's not give up hope just yet. Maybe even the Wii U version will have something new to offer Toon Link mains.

deech

Smash Cadet
I would still play Toon Link if he still had lagless arrow, or the play-style offered in Brawl.
I played him in Brawl because of his relentless barrage of projectiles style, which is what BLC offered in Smash 4.

Without BLC, he just feels like a half-assed version of other characters in this game.
We need more options other than projectile-damage into melee-kill modes.
BLC gave us an option to be aggressive without being punished every time the other person manages to throw up a shield to completely stop any of our aerials.

Kunai KazeKun

Smash Apprentice
Guys, TL is a really good char. You can easily do 40% out of uptilt + follow up Uair.

Also he got a buff in projectile game, i feel like boomerang to Fair is true now, also you can do a lot with bombs, especially to land on the ground. BLC was good after all but its gone, so go back to the basics und TL is really good there.
I mean he got really good buffs like:

- bomb doesnt hurt us, if we hit the opponent, means you can hit your opponent after it
- his projectile combo works great (Returning boomerang to arrow to bomb to fair or up-smash)
- boomerang is faster, but doesnt fly as far as it was in brawl (It feels like this for me)
- uptilt is a annoying tool and its range, speed + prio is good as it was in Brawl. Uptilt to Uair is not really true but it hits 90% time I perform it, even in high procent
- Up-Smash doesnt have a weak hitbox behind him!
- Better Grab < And this point was so important to improve him. I mean you can pressure your opponent and grab if you coordinate it good, also his back-throw can kill now. Also Shield-Grab is so strong, one of the strongest in game and you can grab your opponent when he is in air, especially when he is offstage. I couldnt test his pivot grab on 3DS cause I´m to bad, but if he got additional range i will laugh hard in wii U version, if he got more range xD
- Up-B is really difficult to escape, its possibly but I dont see this very often. Its really go to catch your opponent spotdodge or roll! I like this move now! It can even catch in the air if you opponent try to land near you!

I mean he got serious nerfs like Bair is a killmove and have amazing lag now or he cant zair if he have an item cause dropping the bomb and Tl is a bit different now, but in my opinion he got more buffed than nerfed. BLC was a bit over the top I guess. I will make TL top tier you will see ;)

One Nerf is annoying me really hard and I hope they will change it. I mean footstool dair it was one of my sign moves but your opponent can tech it now and punish you immediately. I hope they will fix it, so if your hit your opponent you wont have much lag. ... Nintendo please... otherwise the move is only for spiking your opponent if he trys to recovery on the edge, but this is stupid, cause its a wonderful move... with good damage ...

So Far
Kunai KazeKun

P. S.
Dont cry about BLC, he is pretty good now even without! Zone as **** and if your oppponents come into shieldgrab if you can.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

*****, what?
His bthrow is an absolutely amazing kill move. It usually ends up killing around 125% if you're on the end of the stage you're throwing towards, and seems to often kill around 150%-160% even on the edge of FD farthest from where you're throwing from. Personally, it's one of the main ways I rely on killing besides baiting airborne opponents into a uair or fair.

♫ Zura ♫

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KatsuraRapYo
3DS FC
4914-3426-2583
i've gotten it to kill at 160, and I've gotten non DIed bair kills at like 130 if they're high up, so it's not really a good kill move
Well the follow up after the recovery of your opponent has a lot to do as well. It's a good Kill move and a nice way to set up a plan before your opponents recovery. I've gotten many kills this way doing boomerang arrows and bomb gimmicks afterwards off stage.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Has anyone else been lagging out when going from boomerang to bow? It seems like I'll toss one out and try to follow it up with an arrow but the game refuses to recognize my input.

♫ Zura ♫

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KatsuraRapYo
3DS FC
4914-3426-2583
Has anyone else been lagging out when going from boomerang to bow? It seems like I'll toss one out and try to follow it up with an arrow but the game refuses to recognize my input.
What do you mean?
I just threw a boomerang and did arrow afterwards. Does your bow not come out completely?

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
What do you mean?
I just threw a boomerang and did arrow afterwards. Does your bow not come out completely?
Yeah. At least online, and it's not due to lag, it just does not come out when I hit B afterwards.

Yackabean

"He's shooting arrows out his butt" ~ Scotland
NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Once everyone has stopped grieving over the loss of BLC and crying about how good it was, can we all start actually discussing what we have now? To be honest I'm more glad it's gone now. It'll actually have us discuss basic fundamentals within Toon Link now instead of 90% of the community just relying on this one AT. If you're not gonna main Toon Link because of one stupid tech then fine that is your choice but he's still got fundamentals from brawl surprisingly and a lot of new stuff.

Most of the stuff @ Kunai KazeKun Kunai KazeKun listed are indeed most of the tools we can greatly use now. I need to work on a thread in a bit about something newish and important I have discovered. (No it's not as game breakingly god like that the BLC was so do not get your hopes up) However it is a somewhat alternative to ibomb. More to discuss in the future...

One thing though, I feel like everyone here is somewhat underestimating Airdodge Zair bomb. It's still a good mix up and laning option as long as you don't abuse the hell out of it. And speaking of zair it's not as bad as people claim it to be. You just have to get used to using it without an airdodge now. The problem people have with Toon Links zair in this game is there used to timing it with an airdodge before. Believe me when I say this but Zair > Nair and Zair > Grab are still super good now. Dunoo why people are forgetting about this. Zair > Nair was like our B&B in brawl too as an approach. Sure it's a little more difficult to connect now but it still works.

Also JV Bomb > FH Nair > Fast falled nair. They never see it coming. Dunoo why but damn is it sweet to use.

On the note of patches though; I haven't really noticed any percentage differences. I also noticed the jab still does 9%. This confuses the crap out of me right now. I've even seen Wii U footage of it doing it at 9% now.

D

Deleted member

Believe me when I say this but Zair > Nair and Zair > Grab are still super good now. Dunoo why people are forgetting about this. Zair > Nair was like our B&B in brawl too as an approach. Sure it's a little more difficult to connect now but it still works.
Sometimes it does, but most of the time it doesn't. Trying other approaches instead would probably be a better idea.

On the note of patches though; I haven't really noticed any percentage differences. I also noticed the jab still does 9%. This confuses the crap out of me right now. I've even seen Wii U footage of it doing it at 9% now.
I mentioned it because a friend tested TL's jab a few times and got 10%, and a few other people said they got 10%, too. After I updated I still got 9%, though, and the Wii U version is also giving me 9%. I have no idea where anyone ever got 10% from. That'll teach me to count on other people for giving a correct answer on how much damage a jab does, lol... I'm definitely never trusting what anyone tells me about these things ever again. Unfortunately, that 1% extra damage on the jab thing somehow seems to have spread all over the internet.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Once everyone has stopped grieving over the loss of BLC and crying about how good it was, can we all start actually discussing what we have now? To be honest I'm more glad it's gone now. It'll actually have us discuss basic fundamentals within Toon Link now instead of 90% of the community just relying on this one AT. If you're not gonna main Toon Link because of one stupid tech then fine that is your choice but he's still got fundamentals from brawl surprisingly and a lot of new stuff.

Most of the stuff @ Kunai KazeKun Kunai KazeKun listed are indeed most of the tools we can greatly use now. I need to work on a thread in a bit about something newish and important I have discovered. (No it's not as game breakingly god like that the BLC was so do not get your hopes up) However it is a somewhat alternative to ibomb. More to discuss in the future...

One thing though, I feel like everyone here is somewhat underestimating Airdodge Zair bomb. It's still a good mix up and laning option as long as you don't abuse the hell out of it. And speaking of zair it's not as bad as people claim it to be. You just have to get used to using it without an airdodge now. The problem people have with Toon Links zair in this game is there used to timing it with an airdodge before. Believe me when I say this but Zair > Nair and Zair > Grab are still super good now. Dunoo why people are forgetting about this. Zair > Nair was like our B&B in brawl too as an approach. Sure it's a little more difficult to connect now but it still works.

Also JV Bomb > FH Nair > Fast falled nair. They never see it coming. Dunoo why but damn is it sweet to use.

I LOVE YOU MAN XD. At least there is still a toon link main who has given up yet.

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714

I LOVE YOU MAN XD. At least there is still a toon link main who has given up yet.
Glad I got some sort of approval here. I need to spark some kind of motivation around here. I find the Toon Link community here losing all hope and turning in to emo's over the loss of BLC. It's hilarious if you look at the Peach boards though. They do not care whatsoever that this AT is gone. They act as if it didn't even scratch them. Seriously, go look over there and see how drastically different there reactions were when they realised it was patched. We need to act similarly instead of dreading over how crap we're going to be. We'll be crap if we certainly don't do anything about it. I can guarantee everyone here that Toon Link still has an incredibly easy chance of being above Tier C again. Not that tiers will matter to me with this character anyway, I play him because I am just a huge Wind Waker fan and love the characters playstyle in general. But for any "tier fanatics" around here, don't worry. He'll be tier C at minimum even if official tier lists say otherwise. It's going to take a long time to get Toon Link noticed since not a lot of people in the America's are actually maining other characters after this. I saw Lunchables recently switching over to Sonic but he already said somewhere around here before he probably won't be playing Toon Link competitively in Smash 4.

There was mention of a "Hylian" at TourneyLocator but I never got the chance to see him but I swear the night before Wii U release I played him on For Glory and it wasn't a pretty match for his Toon Link let's just say. And it was clear that he was one of the users of BLC and relied on it 90% of his playstyle.

If you ask me, the main problem with Toon Link mains right now is not having enough match up experience OR experience with this character at all yet. I was a Toon Link main in brawl for 5 years and arguably the best Toon Link within the UK (Yeah it's nothing big considering the UK primarly only cares for Project Melee wannabe scrub tier reward system) Throughout my experiences in brawl and how similar Toon Link still is to his Brawl counterpart. He's still incredible in this game even if he does seem somewhat heavier and slower. The general point is though - EVERY character now plays like this. No character can freely airdodge and play a super safe ariel and landing game. This game has become even more reliant on frame traps and airdodge baits which Toon Link certainly doesn't do too bad at. And with our new bomb mehcanics and z-dops our landing options are actually going to be a lot better than most characters than we orginally thought. iBomb won't be needed I am quite glad to admit.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Glad I got some sort of approval here. I need to spark some kind of motivation around here. I find the Toon Link community here losing all hope and turning in to emo's over the loss of BLC. It's hilarious if you look at the Peach boards though. They do not care whatsoever that this AT is gone. They act as if it didn't even scratch them. Seriously, go look over there and see how drastically different there reactions were when they realised it was patched. We need to act similarly instead of dreading over how crap we're going to be. We'll be crap if we certainly don't do anything about it. I can guarantee everyone here that Toon Link still has an incredibly easy chance of being above Tier C again. Not that tiers will matter to me with this character anyway, I play him because I am just a huge Wind Waker fan and love the characters playstyle in general. But for any "tier fanatics" around here, don't worry. He'll be tier C at minimum even if official tier lists say otherwise. It's going to take a long time to get Toon Link noticed since not a lot of people in the America's are actually maining other characters after this. I saw Lunchables recently switching over to Sonic but he already said somewhere around here before he probably won't be playing Toon Link competitively in Smash 4.

There was mention of a "Hylian" at TourneyLocator but I never got the chance to see him but I swear the night before Wii U release I played him on For Glory and it wasn't a pretty match for his Toon Link let's just say. And it was clear that he was one of the users of BLC and relied on it 90% of his playstyle.

If you ask me, the main problem with Toon Link mains right now is not having enough match up experience OR experience with this character at all yet. I was a Toon Link main in brawl for 5 years and arguably the best Toon Link within the UK (Yeah it's nothing big considering the UK primarly only cares for Project Melee wannabe scrub tier reward system) Throughout my experiences in brawl and how similar Toon Link still is to his Brawl counterpart. He's still incredible in this game even if he does seem somewhat heavier and slower. The general point is though - EVERY character now plays like this. No character can freely airdodge and play a super safe ariel and landing game. This game has become even more reliant on frame traps and airdodge baits which Toon Link certainly doesn't do too bad at. And with our new bomb mehcanics and z-dops our landing options are actually going to be a lot better than most characters than we orginally thought. iBomb won't be needed I am quite glad to admit.
I also think that the Tink main's are mopping because of all the changes to him (ie short hop double bair) If I am honest, I do agree with the other mains in that Tink does need a buff in a few places. But even as it stands, I still love the guy and I'm going to stick with him. Seriously if the Link mains can make it through Brawl, we can make through this. Also I never really use BLC, only really once or twice if I remembered Tink had it.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660

Damn this was like a "snap out of it!" slap to the back of my head lol. I was one of those that relied on BLC for 95% of my TLink gameplay. And I was one of those that has debated dropping him and finding another main. But you are right. I'm gonna stock to him and learn to implement more things like JC Bomb Throw and Zair strings. I used to ignore all of that with BLC but now its like a New adventure lol. :)

Hanman

Smash Rookie

Orite pal! i'm also a TL main, also from Scotland (Inverness), also brawled relentlessly on AIB for years... We should play sometime man. My 3DS fc: 4957-2721-8895 & NNID is hanman9 if u have a Wii U. Be good to play another good TL from UK sometime.... Not many around. Let me know, cheers!

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
For Zair
Orite pal! i'm also a TL main, also from Scotland (Inverness), also brawled relentlessly on AIB for years... We should play sometime man. My 3DS fc: 4957-2721-8895 & NNID is hanman9 if u have a Wii U. Be good to play another good TL from UK sometime.... Not many around. Let me know, cheers!
We should play also. I will be getting my Wii U and Smash this week soon so we should add each other :) Ill let you know when i get it

D

Deleted member

I have both versions, so if any of you want to play then just shoot me a message.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
BTW something i noticed that still lets you do BFO to BLC tech efficiently:

So before, i would do BFO > Dair/Fair > BLC > Fair/Nair/etc. The point of this wasn't to Dair an opponent and safely get out of the lag, the point of it was to use the BLC to chuck your bomb at someone and then Fair them.
However, since there is no more BLC, this is now useless and shouldn't be done anymore with the lag Dair has.

BUT, i have found it to still work efficiently with Nair instead of Dair.
Nair doesn't have very much landing lag to begin with. Therefore, you can still do this technique to set up a kill or Fairs on your opponent:
BFO > Nair > Bomb Throw > Fair

This allows you to still do what you used to do, still achieve the same objective as before, but now doesn't rely on BLC. This is incredibly useful for those that relied on BLC for a lot of their Tink game play. Now you can go back to using that old tactic, but with Nair. :)

PS: I have only tested this with SH BFO. Haven't tried FH. Will edit once tested.

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

I don't play TL, never have.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I play Link in Project M, not in any other smash games.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Not even SSB4? :/. Honestly, I kind of find that a little silly.
I find it silly to tie yourself to a character just because you enjoy a particular series. TLoZ is my favorite series ever, but that doesn't influence my character choice at all. I simply play the characters I have the most fun with.

64: Ness
Melee: Fox
Brawl: ICs/G&W
PM: IC's/Lucario/Link
Smash 4: Pac-Man/Bowser Jr

I'm also not a fan of smash's interpretation of Link as a character.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I find it silly to tie yourself to a character just because you enjoy a particular series. TLoZ is my favorite series ever, but that doesn't influence my character choice at all. I simply play the characters I have the most fun with.

64: Ness
Melee: Fox
Brawl: ICs/G&W
PM: IC's/Lucario/Link
Smash 4: Pac-Man/Bowser Jr

I'm also not a fan of smash's interpretation of Link as a character.
Yeah, I guess your right. opinions and all that stuff. Being a huge Zelda fan, however, wasn't really my only reason fro picking up like. In fact, I barely new anything about the Zelda series when I started playing Link in Brawl and on the N64 version. I just absolutely love his smash moveset, sorry to say, it just so fun to use (though i knid of wish he wasn't made out to be so sluggish, I guess fro balance purposes huh :ohwell:). It's the same reason I picked up Robin, not just for the love of the character, but how much his moveset clicked for me. That's just my 2 cents though, so you do what ever you like to do :grin:.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
That's true. Although i main Toon Link, i will honestly admit i have never played a Zelda game ever in my life (20 years old so i definitely had options lol). That series just never caught my attention, but hey that's just my preference.

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
I played you in Brawl about 2 years ago on AiB you may not remember me xD
You should come around to tournaments man and join the Smash Scotland facebook group.

Dr[?}

Smash Cadet
I find myself being very one dimensional now with TL. I absolutely love the character so I wont switch mains, but after players figure out my spam tactics, I'm screwed. I look forward to seeing how you guys play TL after the changes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom