• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Dangers of 1.0.4 Patch

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
I find myself being very one dimensional now with TL. I absolutely love the character so I wont switch mains, but after players figure out my spam tactics, I'm screwed. I look forward to seeing how you guys play TL after the changes.

Well what did you do before that's different now? For me, the main things I did before with BLC was the following:
1. BFO > Fair/Dair > BLC > Fair
2. Arrow > BLC
3. SH > Air Dodge > Zair > BLC > Fair

In 1.0.4, you can still do these but in a modified way (BT = Bomb Throw):
1. BFO > Nair > BT > Fair
Not as good of a mind game for your opponent, but retains the effect of faking them out. It also retains similar speed of execution when using Nair to catch the bomb. Its a great substitution.

2. Arrow > BT
Thx only real difference is you can't send them both out at the same time. However, I prefer this method because if the opponent shields then they would have blocked both projectiles. However, with this method, you're opponent will sometimes shield the arrow only, and allows them to be hit with the bomb.

3. SH > Zair > BT > Fair
Not as flashy or effective as before, but it's still able to get the job done most of the time. Also you can sub this out with basic Zair to Grab strings that work as well, which allows for good mix ups.

So all in all, you can still do what you did before but in different ways that can be a little scaled down. But its still effective and it still works

Cyre

Smash Apprentice
I find myself being very one dimensional now with TL. I absolutely love the character so I wont switch mains, but after players figure out my spam tactics, I'm screwed. I look forward to seeing how you guys play TL after the changes.
I play him far more campy than I used too. but I've always found that toon link has the edge if people are chasing you. If you can effectively kite someone, you pretty much are getting a free card to do whatever you want with them.

I also like to keep pressure buy doing hit and run styled tactics if people just won't come to me. A good example is pit spamming his reflective shield. Run towards him and zdrop a bomb on his head. You are like a bird who poops on cars. Except you are pooping bombs.

..Bomb droppings

Also I'm pretty sure you can quickly follow that up with a zair>zair grab.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
I'm not sure if this is new or not but I've been getting blow up by my bombs a lot more often then I remember pre-update. Now I'm sure, that when your bomb hits an enemys hitbox you can take damage from it as well. Is this something new or have I just overlooked it?

♫ Zura ♫

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KatsuraRapYo
3DS FC
4914-3426-2583
Now I'm sure, that when your bomb hits an enemys hitbox you can take damage from it as well. Is this something new or have I just overlooked it?
Lastly I remember if you're in your opponents face and throw a bomb at him, the damage wont affect you at all. Same thing with Link.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm not sure if this is new or not but I've been getting blow up by my bombs a lot more often then I remember pre-update. Now I'm sure, that when your bomb hits an enemys hitbox you can take damage from it as well. Is this something new or have I just overlooked it?
Keeping in mind that this is just me thinking out loud and that I still don't have the game yet, I would have thought that this would have always been the case. If it hits their hurtbox and blows up, we don't get damaged if too close. If the bomb blows up by hitting the ground or by it's own timer we take damage from it. So it makes sense that if any enemy's hitbox from their attack blows up the bomb, we would take damage from it. I thought that this was the way it always worked. Wasn't it?

Last edited:

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
Keeping in mind that this is just me thinking out loud and that I still don't have the game yet, I would have thought that this would have always been the case. If it hits their hurtbox and blows up, we don't get damaged if too close. If the bomb blows up by hitting the ground or by it's own timer we take damage from it. So it makes sense that if any enemy's hitbox from their attack blows up the bomb, we would take damage from it. I thought that this was the way it always worked. Wasn't it?
Ahh I guess that's just how it is then. There's a big difference between hurtbox and hitbox. I thought something might be up, when a ZSS Down B connected w/ my bomb and she just bounced of it. Also I'm not sure if this was in Brawl too but sometimes if a Bomb connects w/ a hit box say a jab, it'll go right through them. It makes sence though that an item projectile would have different properties.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah the bomb has a certain amount of 'health' so it can absorb a certain amount of damage. I'm not sure how much it has in smash 4, but most jabs won't blow it up. From memory I think it had like 5% in Brawl? I remember doing tests with lasers and MK's U-air etc.
And yeah that whole thing where the bomb goes through opponents was in brawl too. My only explanation would be that the bomb has a hurtbox as well as a hitbox; because of this, the bomb will go through hitlag and hitstun if hit by an attack that isn't damaging enough to blow it up (but it will not receive knockback). During that time, it cannot interact with any hurtboxes just like characters that get hit cannot attack out of hitlag/hitstun. And so you have those rare moments when the bomb passes right through the opponent.

Last edited:

Yackabean

"He's shooting arrows out his butt" ~ Scotland
NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
The only thing that annoys me about bombs in this game is how stupidly easy it is for people to catch them now and abuse our bombs. I feel more used than a Diddy Kong main having his bananas stolen by Villagers.

Honestly every character can pretty much safely dash attack our bombs it's stupid.

Top Bottom