• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The DAC FAQ

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
Since everybody asks about DAC, I decided to make a little guide/faq about it for one
of two reasons:

1. You cant seem to use the search bar for some reason
2. You're new to SWF and/or new to the competitive smash scene

What is DAC?

DAC stands for Dash Attack Cancel. It consists of:

1. Performing your running dash attack
2. Quickly performing an usmash directly after

Thats all there really is to it, the more faster you perform it the farther you will go.

Great thanks for explaining, but I still cant pull it off. Any tips?

There are several different methods one can use to perform this trick. Argueably the most popular is pressing down on Cstick, and Up + z. It works great for people who hold thier control the nomal way (not clawing) Clawers can alternativly use Cstick down, and up+ A.

Don't forget that practice is the key, keep on trying it in slo-mo, in battle, etc etc.

EXTRA INFO

If you still need help, please go here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=167650 (Izaw's guide answers all of your questions.)

DAC is also called:

1.Boost smashing
2.kara cancelling

hope this helps out many. I didnt have much to say, other than ask questions in this thread if needed. We cant have too many threads that ask about DAC help, so for now on, post questions related to DAC in here.

D

Deleted member

please include that other names for the DAC are smash boosting and kara cancelling

also include a link to Izaw's guide at the bottom

edit: please include the fact that link must lunge before you can do the DAC because otherwise link will do a grab

Jink

Smash Apprentice
Kara canceling is the method used to perform Link's DAC

Kara Cancel: The term is taken from Karate which means "empty-hand", in games is empty-cancel, where characters do not require a hit collision from one move to interrupt or/and execute another move.
At first this was received as a game bug or glitch on early 2D fighting games, but this is neither.
Kara canceling is just the result on game engine programming to provide us the players an smooth and easy way to perform actions that required more than one button.

For example: In a X game you have three abilities that are Punch, kick and Special, and only two buttons (P and K), is this case special is perform with P+K, but if the game engine requested an exact timed P+K for the special, it would be mostly difficult to do, so the programmers set a longer amount of free input frames to make it easier, these are the relative to buffering frames.

Punch = takes 10frames to reach hit collision (start-up), with 3 buffer frames
Kick = takes 15frames to reach hit collision (start-up), with 3 buffer frames

Now pressing P+K at the exact time is not necessary, by inputting p+K or P+k (one of them earlier/later than the other) the special with still come out, the special now is a cancel for punch and kick.

This is how it works for all video games. And in fighting games this is used for advanced game strategies probably not planned by the game's developers.

An example of easy multiple button inputting for actions is SoulCalibur, the runs very smoothly and for player.

An example of not so easy multiple button input for action is Tekken, sometimes even good player misses actions like throws that required an almost exact timed input, ending up doing something else.

An example of hard to input, is Akira's 'K+G, G released after 1st frame' (from VirtuaFighter), which required the player to input K+G at the EXACT time then releasing G after the 1st frame, very hard.
===

Arkive: What's lunge?

Also DAC can be perfomed by quickly pressing
A,UP+A after a Dash

Alpha04024

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to perform it with Link and I really can't. I would like to know who should I have configured the buttons, and although it sure sounds noob but what's exactly a dash attack?

Thanks!

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
Dash attack is your running attack. The attack that happens when you are running and press A or the C-stick in any direction other than up. Link's running attack looks like a lunging swipe.

Im sure this is obvious but the button input has to be pretty quick and fluid. Snake is a gd character to practice with.
Also do NOT press the c-stick up when attempting this, it will not work.

Also just realised i'm a clawer, i wonder how normal ppl hold the controller lol

Alpha04024

Smash Rookie
I've got the C-stick to smash attacks and Z to grab, I should do dash and smash up with A and not with C-stick?

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
like you said smash up with up+A or up-Z works
ive never gotten it to work by smashing up with the c-stick (although some ppl have said it works)

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
ive never gotten it to work by smashing up with the c-stick (although some ppl have said it works)

I suggest you DAC the way that feels most comforting.
I'm also wondering why this isnt sticky'd yet.

just kidding.

D

Deleted member

I've got the C-stick to smash attacks and Z to grab, I should do dash and smash up with A and not with C-stick?
dash > Cstick Down > up+Z

some people change R to attack to make this much easier

tap jump has to be off

I'm also wondering why this isnt sticky'd yet.
me too, its probably because like 10 great threads just came out and the mods don't want to look like they'll sticky anything

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
some people change R to attack to make this much easier

tap jump has to be off
Yeah, I have R to attack. Not only easier, but also better. If you screw up, you'll just Dash Attack instead of doing a grab and being left open for eternity.

As for tap jump... I don't see why it needs to be off. I have mine on. Just roll the controll stick from the dash to up and it'll work with it on. Saves your UpB and Usmash out of shield options too.

D

Deleted member

As for tap jump... I don't see why it needs to be off. I have mine on. Just roll the controll stick from the dash to up and it'll work with it on. Saves your UpB and Usmash out of shield options too.
i sat in training mode for like 10 mins and never got it to work with tap jump on lol

thats why i stick to c-down, up Z

Top Bottom