• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cute Baby Pokémon, the Melee underdog: Pichu for DLC Discussion - Under New Ownership! VOTE NOW!

GDChu

Smash Rookie
Kirby has 6 jumps and his Fireball will trade damage with practically anything. Yes, he lacks in KO power but he makes up for this with the cheapass instakill that is the Swallowcide Cancel. Using aerials between jumps gives him all the recovery he'll ever need to boot so his only real flaws are damage output and low weight, both of which are noticably worse in the american versions.

Whether you like it or not, Kirby is only the second worst character in PAL Melee and his tricks make him one of the best characters for a beginner. Pichu, while full of potential, is worse in a competetive sense, is harder to pick up and is far more similar to other cast members.
I love Pichu but don't you dare try and tell me he's better than Kirby.
I'm sorry but, you're REALLY reaching when it comes to trying to defend Kirby.
You fail to realize how much the low and bottom tiers really pale in comparison to characters like Fox, Marth and Sheik.
I personally think Bowser is godawful and playing as him makes me feel terrible. But, other chars like Zelda and Kirby come real close in terms of imcompetence.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I'm sorry but, you're REALLY reaching when it comes to trying to defend Kirby.
You fail to realize how much the low and bottom tiers really pale in comparison to characters like Fox, Marth and Sheik.
I personally think Bowser is godawful and playing as him makes me feel terrible. But, other chars like Zelda and Kirby come real close in terms of imcompetence.
No, I understand. Kirby does suck and, when Fox is played well, there is very little my character can do against him. Kirby is listed as terrible for a reason. All I'm saying is that he has some redeeming features that make him better than Pichu.

GDChu

Smash Rookie
No, I understand. Kirby does suck and, when Fox is played well, there is very little my character can do against him. Kirby is listed as terrible for a reason. All I'm saying is that he has some redeeming features that make him better than Pichu.
But, the qualities you listed weren't the best ones is what I was trying to say.

Last edited:

Mario123311

Smash Ace
I was disappointed that he was not at least replaced with Piplup in Brawl. ((He was just as cute... Plus a good rep for the Generation that was around at the time))

Furret24

Smash Master
Kirby has 6 jumps and his Fireball will trade damage with practically anything. Yes, he lacks in KO power but he makes up for this with the cheapass instakill that is the Swallowcide Cancel. Using aerials between jumps gives him all the recovery he'll ever need to boot so his only real flaws are damage output and low weight, both of which are noticably worse in the american versions.

Whether you like it or not, Kirby is only the second worst character in PAL Melee and his tricks make him one of the best characters for a beginner. Pichu, while full of potential, is worse in a competetive sense, is harder to pick up and is far more similar to other cast members.
The only thing Kirby has over Pichu is weight (Kirby's is still garbage even in PAL Melee). He has virtually no KO power outside of U-Air, which is difficult to land. Swallowcide is hard to set up on anyone with even the littlest bit of skill and is easily punished if missed. Even though F-Throw and B-Throw can Kirbycide, they can be escaped, unlike any other throws in the game. His aerials lack priority and his low air speed makes him easy to edge guard, and Final Cutter is one of the worst recovery moves in the game. They didn't really fix his awful damage output in PAL either. How beginner-friendly he is doesn't matter either way, Fox is very hard to learn, but that doesn't mean he isn't Top Tier. Kirby, no matter what way you look at it, is the worst character in Melee competitively.

You also forget to mention the upsides to Pichu. Despite having among the worst survivability in the game, tied with Mr. Game & Watch and Kirby, he atleast has decent damaging abilities and amazing KO power on several of his moves (ex. F-Smash and U-Smash). Unlike Kirby, he is also fast, fitting into the style of Melee. Pichu also has gimping abilities with his N-Air, which is something Kirby can't do. WIth a combination of his good air speed, Skull Bash, and Agility, Pichu has decent recovry that is also rather safe to use.

Even though Pichu is one of the worst characters in the game (22nd or 23rd IMO), there is no denying that Kirby is better than Pichu in any way outside of weight (either way, Pichu and Kirby still die around the same percent).

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390

I wasn't aware Kirby was better in the PAL version (I live in America). Good to know.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Pichu has a message for all of you who's been contributing to the thread and showing all your kind support! For each post the stronger the thread gets, let's keep the spark going fellow Pichu Bros!

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I support Pichu!! I think he'd fit in Sm4sh quite well, especially with the rage mechanic. Plus my Spiky Eared Pichu in Heart Gold was my favorite Pokemon.

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
I HAVE RETURNED TO THIS THREAD.
I have a couple of things to say. I have a PAL Melee myself since I live in the UK, and personally, I don't think Kirby is any better. The weight difference is nearly zilch. Pichu must have been buffed to hell since he is SO GOOD in Melee. I don't know why, but I always win with him and take almost no damage since he doesn't need electric attacks to function.

I will always be a firm Pichu supporter.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
pichu and kirby both have very good ground games... kirby's normals have more range than most of pichu's and he can space better. pichu also has nair, which is one of the best moves in melee since it's great for everything you could ask for. kirby's duck is really good though... neither are as bad as bowser though, which is the important part. anybody who seriously thinks the self damage is a problem is an idiot (unless it's about jolt camping, since that does make it worse) since it's really his weight that makes him die so early.

yeah, pichu for smash 4 and all that stuff

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
pichu and kirby both have very good ground games... kirby's normals have more range than most of pichu's and he can space better. pichu also has nair, which is one of the best moves in melee since it's great for everything you could ask for. kirby's duck is really good though... neither are as bad as bowser though, which is the important part. anybody who seriously thinks the self damage is a problem is an idiot (unless it's about jolt camping, since that does make it worse) since it's really his weight that makes him die so early.

yeah, pichu for smash 4 and all that stuff
Only six moves damage Pichu. I don't think it's a major problem. In fact, my decloned moveset for Pichu increased the damage Pichu took from electric attacks. (Granted they are much more powerful, and there are fewer of them.) Oddly though most of his throws in Melee use electricity but don't hurt him. (Sorta like how Skull Bash has electric properties but shouldn't. I could probably say the same for Agility, especially since it doesn't deal damage to opponents.)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The most voted polls by far:

1. King K. Rool:
335 Yes
156 No
38 Indifferent

2. Wolf:
369 Yes
46 No
44 Indifferent

3. Shantae:
288 Yes
130 No
33 Indifferent

4. Krystal:
175 No
160 Yes
50 Indifferent

5. Bandanna Dee:
212 Yes
87 No
73 Indifferent

6. Balloon Fighter:
138 No
107 Indifferent
100 Yes

7. Daisy:
179 Yes
115 No
23 Indifferent

8. Isaac:
225 Yes
52 Indifferent
39 No

9. Pichu:
148 No
100 Yes
32 Indifferent

10. Shovel Knight:
133 No
93 Yes
53 Indifferent

If you want to change the circumstances for some characters you gotta vote here. ;)
http://smashboards.com/threads/dail...mon-lana-sylux-zael-top-10-most-voted.410404/

Furret24

Smash Master
The most voted polls by far:

1. King K. Rool:
335 Yes
156 No
38 Indifferent

2. Wolf:
369 Yes
46 No
44 Indifferent

3. Shantae:
288 Yes
130 No
33 Indifferent

4. Krystal:
175 No
160 Yes
50 Indifferent

5. Bandanna Dee:
212 Yes
87 No
73 Indifferent

6. Balloon Fighter:
138 No
107 Indifferent
100 Yes

7. Daisy:
179 Yes
115 No
23 Indifferent

8. Isaac:
225 Yes
52 Indifferent
39 No

9. Pichu:
148 No
100 Yes
32 Indifferent

10. Shovel Knight:
133 No
93 Yes
53 Indifferent

If you want to change the circumstances for some characters you gotta vote here. ;)
http://smashboards.com/threads/dail...mon-lana-sylux-zael-top-10-most-voted.410404/
Shame Pichu isn't very popular on that poll. Forget Jigglypuff, this is smash character everyone seems to hate.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Shame Pichu isn't very popular on that poll. Forget Jigglypuff, this is smash character everyone seems to hate.
Pichu is the most hated veteran, but oddly wanted more than one other veteran. Why? Two words: Toon Link. Nobody wants Pichu, but more people see potential in him then they do in Young Link, and many think that Young Link would be redundant with Toon Link in the game. This is so untrue it's not even funny. Personally I think both should get a second chance at this game. I'm willing to bet they will easily set themselves apart from most of the cast.

Furret24

Smash Master
Pichu is the most hated veteran, but oddly wanted more than one other veteran. Why? Two words: Toon Link. Nobody wants Pichu, but more people see potential in him then they do in Young Link, and many think that Young Link would be redundant with Toon Link in the game. This is so untrue it's not even funny. Personally I think both should get a second chance at this game. I'm willing to bet they will easily set themselves apart from most of the cast.
Personally, Pichu is the only veteran I would be excited to see come back outside of Wolf (and maybe Ivysaur).

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Pichu in Smash 4?

I don't see a reason why not, Dr. Mario & Roy both made an unexpected return. Honestly, go for it, I would to see the little guy go against the newcomers.

Oh & the support list?
Sure, feel free to add me.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Ayy has N3ON made any signature for Pichu like the ones in my signature.

I support my Pichu and I gotta get one for my sig

MasterOfZoroark

Smash Rookie
NNID
MasterOfZoroark
3DS FC
2165-8685-8074
For characters I want to see as Sm4sh DLC, Pichu is ranked at either #5 or #6 on my list. He is actually my main for Melee and I would like to see him make a return. My only hope is for that "electric attacks hurting himself" mechanic to be removed.

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly, as more time goes on. The characters that I hoped for seem less and less likely and I just prefer that veterans return. Pichu is included in that. He was always a personal favorite of mine and with Pikachu having a lack of kill power in Smash 4, it would be interesting to see Pichu more balanced against that. He could do less damage but have better KO options.

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
Pichu would have amazing KO options thanks to being a rage abuser. Even if he isn't decloned he has amazing potential as a Charizard on steroids.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
Pichu would have amazing KO options thanks to being a rage abuser. Even if he isn't decloned he has amazing potential as a Charizard on steroids.
Pictures has a weight of 50, which means it'll die 60%. It'll be hurt by rage.

Speaking of Pictures in Smash 4, how do you think Pichu's render would look in Smash 4?

Last edited:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Pichu was one of my favorite Melee characters. I was the best in my group so the fact that Pichu hurt himself with certain moves and had a low KO % were things that I liked.

It added a handicap and you needed to think more carefully when you were playing.

With this, though, comes ultimate satisfactory when you do win (which I did almost every time) - so here's to hoping the little guy comes back as ultimately the true joke is on those that can't win against him

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I actually prefered Pichu over my old 64 main, Pikachu in Melee because I couldn't quite handle the moveset changes of Pikachu at that time. I also don't agree that Pichu is the absolute worst in Melee either, because Bowser and Kirby are definitely worse, Ness and Zelda are also debatable.

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
Nah zeldas good :p

Actually no, she's pretty bad, but pichu does have a certain potential to be like, mid tier maybe. His range imo holds him back so much, he doesn't really have any safe options, not to mention his weight. Just make some proper buffs, and we're good to go

Top Bottom