• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cute Baby Pokémon, the Melee underdog: Pichu for DLC Discussion - Under New Ownership! VOTE NOW!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No to be honest, I don't really think Pichu has the potential to outdo anyone on the Melee roster except for like, Roy. Pichu is still less viable than the likes of DK, Young Link and Link. Though, am starting to think less of Link as of late. Anyway, Pichu isn't exactly popular so it's unlikely he'll be fully exploited ever unless say, AXE starts picking him up for Low Tier tournaments.

Are Low Tier Tournaments even still a thing in Melee btw?

Crimson23

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0662-3915-4434
Huh...
Pichu...
I really don't know. He could get in, but not over Bandana Dee, K.Rool and Wolf...

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
I think Sakurai has a place in his heart For Vets as he doesn't like to alienate people that were fans of the character in the earlier games.

To me, is why Doc isn't an Alternate and why Ganondorf still has Falcon Moves (albiet there could be a slow transition out of this like Luigi and Falco).

My worst in Melee head on was easily Bowser. This has been fixed greatly in Sm4sh

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
So far pichu is the only melee vet not in smash 4 (toon link is pretty much just a decloned young link) so if pichu doesn't make it in, honestly I'll be kinda confused lol

Last edited:

thegrovylekid

Smash Cadet
I feel like it would help for Pichu to get some representation at tournaments outside of M2K sandbagging. Some akin to aMSa. I'd love to do it, but I suck at Melee, so I don't think I could help much.

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
Pictures has a weight of 50, which means it'll die 60%. It'll be hurt by rage.

Speaking of Pictures in Smash 4, how do you think Pichu's render would look in Smash 4?
Pichu's weight can be changed. Don't assume. Even then with how small he is he'd be hard to hit anyway.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
Pichu's weight can be changed. Don't assume. Even then with how small he is he'd be hard to hit anyway.
Because he was so hard to hit Melee (Sarcasm).
That said, Pichu's respect levels are low. How can we get people to respect Pichu as a fighter?

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
Because he was so hard to hit Melee (Sarcasm).
That said, Pichu's respect levels are low. How can we get people to respect Pichu as a fighter?
By getting representation in melee

It's really impossible, people have a hate for clones. Why Roy is an exception is beyond me, but he is :p

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
By getting representation in melee

It's really impossible, people have a hate for clones. Why Roy is an exception is beyond me, but he is :p
I don't see why people hate clones. No one even cares about there being like 10 Ryus in Street Fighter. Most people say it's because of lack of effort - then there's Street Fighter ringing bells again.

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
I don't see why people hate clones. No one even cares about there being like 10 Ryus in Street Fighter. Most people say it's because of lack of effort - then there's Street Fighter ringing bells again.
Because most clones are just worse variations or barely different than the original character, then whining about how they "wasted a slot"

It's all illogical, as sakurai said it's like a free dessert after a fine meal. If you don't like the dessert, then don't eat it. Don't complain to the manager

Last edited:

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I support.
I hate to see any character cut in future iterations of fighting games.

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
Because most clones are just worse variations or barely different than the original character, then whining about how they "wasted a slot"

It's all illogical, as sakurai said it's like a free dessert after a fine meal. If you don't like the dessert, then don't eat it. Don't complain to the manager
Actually Young Link would like to have a word with you. He's higher tier if I recall correctly.

I support.
I hate to see any character cut in future iterations of fighting games.
I have to agree. It kills me to see that.

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
Actually Young Link would like to have a word with you. He's higher tier if I recall correctly.
Really the only clones that are better than the original character is young link and doc. Ganondorf is worse, so is roy, pichu and falco. In smash 4 doc, dark pit, and lucina are regarded by many to be worse than the original character.

And young link is mid tier, barely

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Still sticking with my idea of Pichu's electrical attacks having larger hitboxes (eventually becoming disjointed) while increasing in killing power as Pichu takes damage, which he can reliably inflict on himself. Basically the ultimate glass cannon, but Lucario already has this shtick (for some reason and he's not even that great at it in Smash 4).

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Really the only clones that are better than the original character is young link and doc. Ganondorf is worse, so is roy, pichu and falco. In smash 4 doc, dark pit, and lucina are regarded by many to be worse than the original character.

And young link is mid tier, barely
Eh, Falco is a high tier threat just like Fox. Some would even go as far to say that he's a bit better.

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
Eh, Falco is a high tier threat just like Fox. Some would even go as far to say that he's a bit better.
The point was that characters weren't that different (falco is by no means a semi clone) and that they're worse than the original character. If I'm not mistaken, Fox has overall better matchups, but I don't really look much into the matchups in melee so I might be wrong about that

Basically, a character that's nearly the same albeit worse doesn't make sense for a lot of people therefore thinking the use of clones is moot

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I'm not opposed to Pichu by any means, but honestly, I'd rather have Young Link back out of personal bias.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Still sticking with my idea of Pichu's electrical attacks having larger hitboxes (eventually becoming disjointed) while increasing in killing power as Pichu takes damage, which he can reliably inflict on himself. Basically the ultimate glass cannon, but Lucario already has this shtick (for some reason and he's not even that great at it in Smash 4).
Maybe just the disjoint increasing, to differentiate him from Lucario's damage increase?

Last edited:

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
Despite being a major part of my childhood, Young Link holds no real appeal for me, whereas Pichu has all sorts of potential.
ya toon link is pretty much just a decloned young link

unless if we end up getting like, emolga or something as a replacement idk, pichu doesnt have any reason to not be in smash 4, except people dont like pichu. but lets be honest, plenty of people hate characters that got in

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
I would like all the Vets to come back, even Yink. To me, he reps OoT and MM masks - both of those games got me into LoZ.

Honestly, I think that with the NX on the horizon, an easy way to get out smash quickly would be by making an "ultimate smash brothers" with all stages, items and vets returning.

With no 3DS limitation in play - they could readd IClimbers, make the 3DS stages compatible, and finally add the vets and stages from prior games quicker - along with a few new ones of all those things.

PF9

Smash Lord
If Pichu gets in Pichu will be the one Amiibo of a DLC character that I would get. I would name it Sneezer, who can guess that reference?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
If Pichu gets in Pichu will be the one Amiibo of a DLC character that I would get. I would name it Sneezer, who can guess that reference?
Cute little fella, ain't he? Pichu's cuter, though.:love:
Seriously, even if he IS a joke fighter in Melee, how can you be mad at THIS?!:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Last edited:

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
a pichu amiibo is an instant buy, if they do it of pichu sleeping like that custom amiibo thatd be amazing

Furret24

Smash Master
ya toon link is pretty much just a decloned young link

unless if we end up getting like, emolga or something as a replacement idk, pichu doesnt have any reason to not be in smash 4, except people dont like pichu. but lets be honest, plenty of people hate characters that got in
Yeah, like D*ck C*nt and fan favorite Dark Pit.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
The only way i'd want to see Young Link return, is that he's the Majoras Mask incarnation. With the transformation gimmick of Zelda/Sheik, to all his mask variants. That would actually be a benefitial addition to the Zelda character list, you'd get the movesets of 4 characters (Deku Link, Goron Link, Zora Link and Fierce Deity Link) for the price of one. Only problem is, 3DS cannot handle the transformation gimmick. Thus i'd rather see Young Link return in this form in the next Smash game which hopefully will not be plagued by hardware limitations.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
The best way to handle the masks for Yino would be that he puts them on and transforms for one move and changes back.

For example, he puts on the goron mask and does the spinning charge attack for his side b, and he changes back after the move is completed.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
New Big Poll! It's Source Gaming's biggest Smash poll yet!

NEW POLLING EFFORT BY @@@BluePikmin11
The SG team has helped BluePikmin reorganize his individual character polls into 4 parts. We've also provided pre-filled out forms with neutral responses so people can navigate quickly. Hopefully this will yield more and better information for future posts.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
This lack of news has made it hard to talk about DLC. What do you hope the next DLC stage will be (If it's Pokémon related)?

Top Bottom