• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cute Baby Pokémon, the Melee underdog: Pichu for DLC Discussion - Under New Ownership! VOTE NOW!

Purple_Anteater

Smash Cadet
I ran into someone on FG last night with the tag "VOTEPICHU" I responded with "YESPICHU" he said ";D" then "NOWVOTE"

I then proceeded to body his Falcon with my Charizard.

Furret24

Smash Master
How about instead of having a move that heals him, his crouch could instead? It makes him look like he's sleeping right? It could function like the custom equipment that heals you when you crouch, just without the equipment.

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
I ran into someone on FG last night with the tag "VOTEPICHU" I responded with "YESPICHU" he said ";D" then "NOWVOTE"

I then proceeded to body his Falcon with my Charizard.
Good job. Pichu shall prevail!

It's nice to see random people online wanting pichu

How about instead of having a move that heals him, his crouch could instead? It makes him look like he's sleeping right? It could function like the custom equipment that heals you when you crouch, just without the equipment.
Quite honestly that'd be pretty op

It would of course need limitations which would need a more elaborate explanation

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
Quite honestly that'd be pretty op

It would of course need limitations which would need a more elaborate explanation
I thought that would help nullify how a large amount of his moves hurt himself, but that does sound rather OP re-reading my post. A way for Pichu to heal himself would be a neat mechanic for him though.

Last edited:

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
I thought that would help nullify how a large amount of his moves hurt himself, but that does sound rather OP re-reading my post. A way for Pichu to heal himself would be a neat mechanic for him though.
hm maybe, something so that hed have like 30 seconds or so that his moves wouldnt hurt him? thatd be neat, but at the same time wouldnt make much sense, but a good thought nonetheless. maybe something so his attacks arent electrical for a certain period of time and wouldnt be multihit, and therefore wouldnt hurt him?

one thing i though of would be, if pichu crouches for 2 seconds, itd heal around 10%, but he would have to wait 20 seconds or so to do it again. itd be pretty weird to balance it, while still making it useful. one other thing i thought of would be it heals 1% every second, but thatd be pretty much useless.

something to heal pichu would be neat, yes, but i just dont think its within his design. id certainly want something to heal him, but i dont think itd happen. i personally just wish theyd get rid of him hurting himself all together, but thats what hes famous for so i doubt theyd get rid of that unfortunately

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
hm maybe, something so that hed have like 30 seconds or so that his moves wouldnt hurt him? thatd be neat, but at the same time wouldnt make much sense, but a good thought nonetheless. maybe something so his attacks arent electrical for a certain period of time and wouldnt be multihit, and therefore wouldnt hurt him?

one thing i though of would be, if pichu crouches for 2 seconds, itd heal around 10%, but he would have to wait 20 seconds or so to do it again. itd be pretty weird to balance it, while still making it useful. one other thing i thought of would be it heals 1% every second, but thatd be pretty much useless.

something to heal pichu would be neat, yes, but i just dont think its within his design. id certainly want something to heal him, but i dont think itd happen. i personally just wish theyd get rid of him hurting himself all together, but thats what hes famous for so i doubt theyd get rid of that unfortunately
We could try vice versa, and have it where he doesn't take self damage from his moves.

Alternatively, we could make some of his moves no longer hurt him like U-Special and his throws. Or we could replace some of his self-damaging moves with non-electrical moves.

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
i honestly would like to see what they would do to his normals, besides his recoil. for example, imo they should change his ftilt. perhaps something similar to his dtlit? kind of like mewtwo's. and his jab would be totally different from pikachus, making it a jab combo, like first he would do his regular jab, then a tail whip, then a body slam or something. the first jab would have more hitstun so he could cancel the combo into a grab or something, giving it some utility. maybe also give him a meteor smash, further decloning him a bit from pikachu

Nintendicted

Smash Cadet
I made a rough Pichu moveset. I tried to declone him as much as possible, while still doing something realistic. His damage gimmick is still there, making him retain a glass cannon status, but even more so. I'm not a die hard Pichu fan, but I support having veterans return. Feel free to comment/criticize/make changes/ whatever you want. Enjoy!
Jab: body slam, tail whip, infinite tail hits, ends with back hit. Turns Pichu around. 3 hit ends with stronger tail hit, still turn pichu.

F tilt: headbutt, Pichu moves slightly forward from move

U tilt: pichu gets on hind legs and moves his head, the ears are the hitboxes, similar to pikachu's tail in his u tilt.

D tilt: pichu looks down while crouching, and pushes forward to smack with his ears for d tilt

Nair: change nothing it's perfect

Fair: basically Pikachu's f tilt but in the air. He kicks out in front of him with his hind legs.

Bair: Pichu whips his tail around behind him.

Up air: Pichu whips his ears around, similar to Pikachu's up air.

Dair: Pichu stabs his tail down fiercely, spikes at the tip.

Fsmash: Similar to Pikachu's but much more horizontal distance, more of a Short electric bolt than a burst. This attack benefits from angled fsmashes.

Usmash: Pichu gets on his hind legs, and headbutt towards the sky. Can grab opponents from the sides

Dsmash: Pichu slams his tail down behind him, full of electricity. At the same time, he headbutts at a downward angle in front of him. Stronger in back, but still a very strong move.

Dash attack: Pichu rolls into his opponent, hitting mainly with his tail.

Neutral b: Like pikachu's, but the bolt goes straight along the ground, much faster than Pikachu's. It goes almost vertical in the air.

Side b: Like Pikachu's but it cannot be charged. Sends Pichu a fixed distance but is still very long. Stuns enemy on impact.

Up b: like Pikachu's, but he can move three times. Has no electricity, but he has a hitbox.

Down b: like Pikachu's, but it is much faster and less powerful. Does no damage to Pichu unless he is hit by the end of it. Much less ending lag for Pichu as well.

Forward throw: Pichu rolls forward once and throws opponent.

Back throw: Pichu leans back and throws opponent behind him.

Up throw: Pichu gets on hind legs and throws opponent straight up.

Down throw: nuzzle - Pichu pushes opponent to the ground, and electrifies them with cheeks. Sends opponent up and away, and is able to combo.

Last edited:

Fogs

Smash Cadet
I support Pichu.
I'm not sure if someone came up with the same idea, but I always thought he could have a rage mechanic similar to Lucario...
See, if the reason he takes damage while doing electric attacks is he can't control them well, when he's damaged, he should be even less likely to keep control of his abilities, making his electric attacks go out of control!
That could mean more range and knockback for his electrical attacks.
It'd be great to differentiate him from Pikachu, with him being faster too, he'd be a high-risk, high-reward version of Pikachu.
(I'd also like some other decloning to take place besides this new mechanic of course.)

EDIT: Oh, that idea was right there on the first post of the thread. awkward. Hahahaha, I'm not sure if I read it a while ago and forgot about it and somehow thought I came up with it myself? lol, sorry.

Last edited:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Heres my Custom Pichu Amiibo:

The Amiibo Base is a Goggles Pikachu (Named Mega-Pichu)

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I really hope Pichu makes it back... Too many people are quick to blow him off, but he was adorable and a few good perks going for him. The need to make him hit really hard to compensate for his self damaging mechanic.

Furret24

Smash Master
I support Pichu.
I'm not sure if someone came up with the same idea, but I always thought he could have a rage mechanic similar to Lucario...
See, if the reason he takes damage while doing electric attacks is he can't control them well, when he's damaged, he should be even less likely to keep control of his abilities, making his electric attacks go out of control!
That could mean more range and knockback for his electrical attacks.
It'd be great to differentiate him from Pikachu, with him being faster too, he'd be a high-risk, high-reward version of Pikachu.
(I'd also like some other decloning to take place besides this new mechanic of course.)
Something like this could a whole new layer of depth to a character that was previously a clone, assuming they don't already declone him a little in his transition to Smash 4.

Having a certain percentage where his electrical attacks (which he has 8 in Melee) get stronger could make him a good user of the rage mechanic, despite being one of the lightest characters in the game. Now, others could be quick to say that rips off Lucario's aura effect. Unlike Aura, which only affects damage output (outside of Aura Sphere), Pichu's electricity mechanic could also affect hitboxes and knockback for his electrical moves.

Below are a few examples of moves that could take advantage of Pichu's electricity.
F-Smash- This move does more knockback at higher percents and it's hitbox gets more disjointed at too. It starts out as big as it is in Melee at 0%. At 70%, it's as big as Pikachu's. At 150%, it's twice as big as that. It also now consists of one hit instead of multiple and deals 2.5% self damage. Unlike other electrical moves of Pichu's, it doesn't increase in damage as Pichu is at higher percents, though it does deal 15% over Melee's 12%.

Down Smash- This move starts out like his D-Smash in Melee, but starting around 30%, an electrical field grows around Pichu when using the move, dealing a bit of damage and knockback. It grows from being tiny around 30% to being 1 Pichu around him at 150%, where rage caps and (possibly) his electrical and self-damaging mechanics. The normal hitbox could also grow more disjointed as damage adds up. Unlike in Melee, it also deals 2% self damage. At 0%, this move does 13%, at 150%, it does 17%, improving it's KO ability at higher percents. The electrical field hits 6 times dealing 0.25% at 30%, 0.5% at 100%, and 1% at 150%.

Down Air- This move only does 10% if all hits connect at 0% unlike in Melee, where it does 14%. However, with Pichu's electricity mechanic, it can do up to 19% at 150%. It's range also increases as it takes damage. If the opponent is touching Pichu's body when the last hit connects, it is a meteor smash. Unlike some other electrical moves Pichu uses, this move does not gain knockback as he takes damage. It does only do 1% recoil now as opposed to doing 1% extra if he hits the ground when using it, which was kinda pointless.

If anyone has thoughts about this, let me know. I don't want to make this mechanic sound OP or confusing. :nervous:

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Something like this could a whole new layer of depth to a character that was previously a clone, assuming they don't already declone him a little in his transition to Smash 4.

Having a certain percentage where his electrical attacks (which he has 8 in Melee) get stronger could make him a good user of the rage mechanic, despite being one of the lightest characters in the game. Now, others could be quick to say that rips off Lucario's aura effect. Unlike Aura, which only affects damage output (outside of Aura Sphere), Pichu's electricity mechanic could also affect hitboxes and knockback for his electrical moves.

Below are a few examples of moves that could take advantage of Pichu's electricity.
F-Smash- This move does more knockback at higher percents and it's hitbox gets more disjointed at too. It starts out as big as it is in Melee at 0%. At 70%, it's as big as Pikachu's. At 150%, it's twice as big as that. It also now consists of one hit instead of multiple and deals 2.5% self damage. Unlike other electrical moves of Pichu's, it doesn't increase in damage as Pichu is at higher percents, though it does deal 15% over Melee's 12%.

Down Smash- This move starts out like his D-Smash in Melee, but starting around 30%, an electrical field grows around Pichu when using the move, dealing a bit of damage and knockback. It grows from being tiny around 30% to being 1 Pichu around him at 150%, where rage caps and (possibly) his electrical and self-damaging mechanics. The normal hitbox could also grow more disjointed as damage adds up. Unlike in Melee, it also deals 2% self damage. At 0%, this move does 13%, at 150%, it does 17%, improving it's KO ability at higher percents. The electrical field hits 6 times dealing 0.25% at 30%, 0.5% at 100%, and 1% at 150%.

Down Air- This move only does 10% if all hits connect at 0% unlike in Melee, where it does 14%. However, with Pichu's electricity mechanic, it can do up to 19% at 150%. It's range also increases as it takes damage. If the opponent is touching Pichu's body when the last hit connects, it is a meteor smash. Unlike some other electrical moves Pichu uses, this move does not gain knockback as he takes damage. It does only do 1% recoil now as opposed to doing 1% extra if he hits the ground when using it, which was kinda pointless.

If anyone has thoughts about this, let me know. I don't want to make this mechanic sound OP or confusing. :nervous:
OP? Please.
For Pichu, this is more than fair.

Kirshible

Smash Rookie
I support Pichu in Smash! For the ballot I put this. There is a lot of potential for Pichu. Since Pichu does damage to him/her self, maybe you could replace Pichu's Skull Bash from Melee, with Volt Tackle and do more knock back and damage, since apparently his trophy states he can't control his electricity well, so he COULD do more damage with less control. And replace his neutral special with a chargeable Thunderbolt, that does recoil, and extra knock back, and damage. Pichu has so much potential, and he could be added back. Or he could be changed to the Pichu Bros, like Ice Climbers, but that can't happen, because of 3DS limits..

GDChu

Smash Rookie
I support Pichu all the way. One of mains in Melee and I'd love to see how he'll do if he transitions to Smash 4. Since we have Pika at top 3, Pichu could ride off of that and possibly place mid-tier if he was kept mostly the same but, I'd like to see an Aura-like mechanic with him. Would make him a lot scarier and give reliable kill options (with a nice boost of range of course). I say keep him as light as Jiggs instead of lighter and give him Fox-speed or perhaps a bit faster. I'm not quite sure of a moveset yet but, I can imagine his final smash being like Brawl Pika's, chaotic but make it stronger to make up for control.

Also, How would you feel if he was a faster faller than Pika? Or if he had his Multihit Thunder that dragged the opponent upward?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Suppose pra_mai did indeed turn out to be Plusle and Minun.

Suppose these two were indeed a tag-team revamp of Pichu.

Suppose Sakurai did indeed decide to recreate Pichu using elements of these cut characters.

Do you think Pichu (via the proxy of Plusle and Minun) would be decloned in some capacity between the transition from Melee to Brawl, as Doc and Roy were, and that these changes would duly transfer over to Smash 4?

Zekkaran

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zekkaran
3DS FC
0791-3028-9167
I support Pichu. i even thought out of a few special moves from pichu's move pool that would make him a little bit unique.

Neutral Special: Charge Beam

charges a beam of lightning. not sure to either make it charge like samus, ROB, or Bowser.jrs

Side Special: Wild Charge

an nonchargeable special that goes diagonally in a fixed distance similar to wolf's side special. i was thinking it either would do one hit, or do multihits that also drag your opponents. the last hit has high knockback.

got the idea from the pokemon xy animation from when bunnlby used it like the description i made

Final Smash: Ukulele Pichu

Pichu grabs a ukulele and starts to play it. produces musical notes that pulls opponents towards Pichu. Pichu then makes a electrical field around him that shocks opponents that also stuns. then when Pichu's solo is over a giant bolt of lightning comes down and hits all the remaining fighters for max damage.

i also agree to make pichu with a lucario rage mechanic with the big hitbox & knockback thing makes it more fun.i hope he gets in.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Suppose pra_mai did indeed turn out to be Plusle and Minun.

Suppose these two were indeed a tag-team revamp of Pichu.

Suppose Sakurai did indeed decide to recreate Pichu using elements of these cut characters.

Do you think Pichu (via the proxy of Plusle and Minun) would be decloned in some capacity between the transition from Melee to Brawl, as Doc and Roy were, and that these changes would duly transfer over to Smash 4?
I am hoping so badly that either one or both of these things happen. (Either having Pichu return with a LOT of buffs, or having Plusle and Minun as playable characters, or both.)

Also, yes. There is that possibility that Pichu was recreated for that style for Smash 4.

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
I have an interesting Pichu setup. I think it could be viable. I'm also using moves Pichu CAN learn in the games to keep as close to the games and Smash as possible, whilst keeping the old Pichu as well. I'd say keep the old electric damage system. In the new mechanics, Pichu would be a nightmare to deal with. I was gonna chuck this in a Brawl Beta/Alpha REVIVAL, but with no Brawl hackers with my ROM hacking group it's too hard for me to do. I'm just hoping that Sakurai and co. visit Smashboards like during Brawl's development.

B - Charge. This boosts the power of his electric moves in exchange for more damage to himself. This can stack, but doubles the damage to Pichu each time.

Side B - Iron Tail. This can be charged, and sends Pichu forward, and slaps the opponent with Iron Tail. Similar to Ike's Quick Draw.

Down B - Thunder. Since Pichu can avoid the damage from Thunder, this isn't a major bad thing on the set. People can choose glass cannon or Charge & Dodge.

Up B - Quick Attack. Has a meteor effect which involves Pichu stepping on the opponent's head which sends them down. Slightly slower than Pikachu's Quick Attack like in Melee.

A - 3 stage attack involving a kick, a slap and a headbutt.

Forward Smash - Just like in Melee, but can rise in power if the button is held like with some of Ryu's attacks, but it does cause more damage.

Up Smash - Basically Mario's up smash. Almost unchanged, but the head becomes invulnerable, just like-a Mario!

Down Smash - Unchanged.

Forward Tilt - Unchanged.

Up Tilt - Unchanged.

Down Tilt - Grass Knot. This trips the opponent up. It takes a quarter of a second to set up, but the results can be devastating.

Normal Aerial - Unchanged.

Forward Aerial - Unchanged.

Down Aerial - This sends Pichu down, unlike Pikachu's. It has a meteor effect as it starts, but loses it after that. This helps with defense against aerial maniacs like Captain Falcon and some Pikachu users like me.

Final Smash - Ukulele Pichu, Pichu Brothers or Advanced Volt Tackle. Ukulele Pichu could be similar to Donkey Kong's. Pichu Brothers could be similar to Robin's. Advanced Volt Tackle could involve Pichu using Volt Tackle as normal, but it has less control and when you press A/B, a ton of lightning bolts come out of it in exchange for 10%.

Abilities -
*Still gets damaged from Electric Attacks
*Holding buttons can raise the power a tiny bit. 0.10x, maybe? I don't want him to be too op...
*Has the 'Crouch Heal' ability that customs and amiibo have. You recover pretty slowly because of this, and it's not OP at all unless Ganondorf is around...in which Wizard's Foot comes into play and screws it up for everyone.

Differences from Pikachu -
*2 specials are different.
*Pichu does a bit less damage in exchange for gimmicks, and to keep to the games. Pichu is a baby, after all.
*This is the new Pikachu's kid.
*Pichu is cuter
*Down Tilt is different and a lot more devastating.
*Down Aerial is different.
*Pichu has Crouch Heal.
*Pichu can raise his move power.
*Pichu takes damage from electric attacks.
*Pichu has 2 meteor smashes.
*Pichu's Quick Attack has a meteor effect.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
I have some new stuff to throw in. This time, how Pichu could return into Smash.

People would probably moan about Pichu's status as DLC, since he would have to be paid, correct? Maybe, we could have Pichu as either free DLC or someone to automatically be added in an update. Then, no one moans, right? It could also tempt people into buying DLC instead of waiting for free ones that won't probably won't happen. This could also make way for a free DLC pack that includes a taste of what is to come - maybe trials of the fighters, and Pichu as a full one? It's all possible.

According to what Sakurai says, there will be 'several DLC characters', which means 'more than two, but not many.'. From my perspective, that means '3 - 6'. We know 1 or 2 of those slots will be the ballot characters. What could the last ones be? Young Link, Pichu, Wolf and Ice Climbers, of course! However, then we end up with 9 characters as DLC, which isn't a round number. We could have Ivysaur and Squirtle return though. How can this happen? Through having Pichu in an update instead as aforementioned, meaning 10 DLC characters. What does that mean? EVERY VETERAN WOULD BE IN SMASH. That'd be my dream come true.

Now for the Plusles on Pichu coming back (see what I did there?)
*It's not Goku or Shrek
*Veteran - a member of the fallen characters at that.
*Mewtwo, Dr. Mario and Roy came back. Why not ol' Pichu?
*See the moves I posted - who wouldn't want that?
*Easy to add
*Generates more hater tears for us to drink.
*Cuteness
*It's DLC
*It's a challenge for people to take on. This is a character that takes proper, full blown SKILL to use and be successful with.
*Could make a Melee Character pack if Young Link returns with them (He has amazing potential. Imagine a new set with masks on that guy.)

Here are some Minuns on Pichu's return.
*It's another Pokemon Rep (Unless you like Pokemon Reps. I do myself)
*It could wind up as a clone again unless Sakurai takes the movesets posted here.
*Haters.
*If it's paid, due to the sheer amount of haters, not many people will buy it.
*Some people don't like the veteran DLC
*Takes no skill to add in, and some people (for some reason) frown upon seeing characters like that coming back.
*People will say 'wasted slot' again.
*What if someones allergic to adorableness?

Furret24

Smash Master
I have some new stuff to throw in. This time, how Pichu could return into Smash.

People would probably moan about Pichu's status as DLC, since he would have to be paid, correct? Maybe, we could have Pichu as either free DLC or someone to automatically be added in an update. Then, no one moans, right? It could also tempt people into buying DLC instead of waiting for free ones that won't probably won't happen. This could also make way for a free DLC pack that includes a taste of what is to come - maybe trials of the fighters, and Pichu as a full one? It's all possible.

According to what Sakurai says, there will be 'several DLC characters', which means 'more than two, but not many.'. From my perspective, that means '3 - 6'. We know 1 or 2 of those slots will be the ballot characters. What could the last ones be? Young Link, Pichu, Wolf and Ice Climbers, of course! However, then we end up with 9 characters as DLC, which isn't a round number. We could have Ivysaur and Squirtle return though. How can this happen? Through having Pichu in an update instead as aforementioned, meaning 10 DLC characters. What does that mean? EVERY VETERAN WOULD BE IN SMASH. That'd be my dream come true.
I highly doubt that Pichu would be free DLC. Plus, the Miiverse stage sorta does this already. Oh, and the Ice Climbers still aren't coming back in Smash 4. I can almost guarantee that they're coming back in Smash 5 though.

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
I have my doubts about Pichu being free DLC, but a Free DLC Pack could be a nice thought. I know the MiiVerse Stage does this, but I'm throwing in ideas for the people who wouldn't pay for Pichu since he's considered 'The Worst Character In Smash History'...EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE ****ING WRONG (I've seen Pichus beat Falcos. It's not hard with that speed.).

The Ice Climbers DO have a possibility, and I'll explain that now. The 3DS could either be optimized, they could be made Wii U Exclusive whilst another one is 3DS, or they get separated altogether. Trust me, exclusives are popular for some reason. Don't believe me? Look up Godzilla Unleashed. If they get separated, I think the characters should get massive buffs. Popo and Nana do still have a chance, despite all odds being against them. Hell, the New 3DS could handle them with few problems.

I hope Smash 5 has all the veterans in it. It's just something I want to see.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
The Ice Climbers DO have a possibility, and I'll explain that now. The 3DS could either be optimized, they could be made Wii U Exclusive whilst another one is 3DS, or they get separated altogether. Trust me, exclusives are popular for some reason. Don't believe me? Look up Godzilla Unleashed. If they get separated, I think the characters should get massive buffs. Popo and Nana do still have a chance, despite all odds being against them. Hell, the New 3DS could handle them with few problems.
Now here's a sentiment I can agree with.
A lot of people seem to think that Ice Climbers are an impossibility on the 3DS.
I feel if they had some time to tinker with them, they could manage to get 'em working.

Furret24

Smash Master
I have my doubts about Pichu being free DLC, but a Free DLC Pack could be a nice thought. I know the MiiVerse Stage does this, but I'm throwing in ideas for the people who wouldn't pay for Pichu since he's considered 'The Worst Character In Smash History'...EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE ****ING WRONG (I've seen Pichus beat Falcos. It's not hard with that speed.).

I hope Smash 5 has all the veterans in it. It's just something I want to see.
(Skip to 5:10)
Pichu isn't the worst character in Melee, despite what people say. Atleast he's strong and fast, something characters like Kirby and Zelda don't have. Pichu's still a bad character though, and his match-up with Falco is still in Falco's favor by quite a margin.

Yes, the Ice Climbers could work on the 3DS, but the development time to make them work, even if they're somewhat complete on the Wii U version, would take longer than other characters to make. Time that could be spent making other more requested characters (they could probably make 2 characters in the time it would take to make the Ice Climbers, especially if Wolf is one of those) such as Wolf and K. Rool.

Having them Wii U exclusive would be a terrible idea, even if exclusives are popular. Why? Because of the metagame. Just one character exclusive to one version could wildly change how each game's metagame is. Imagine if one character had a horrible match-up against them on the Wii U version, causing them to be low tier. If they weren't in the 3DS version, the same character who was low tier could suddenly be high tier in the 3DS version. This has happened in before in Smash too. Just look at Ike and ROB in Brawl. Due to their horrendous match-ups against Meta Knight, two characters who could've been High Tier ended up being Mid Tier at best.

If they were separated, their unique playstyle would be completely removed, which is why a lot of people loved them in Melee and Brawl. They wouldn't need any major buffs either, just make the solo one as powerful as the two together were in the previous games. Besides, even if they were to get buffed tremendously, they'd still be worse due to the changes in grabbing in Smash 4, removing the infinites. You saw where they placed before those were discovered, right? I'm not going to get into why having them run on the NEW 3DS and not the old one is a terrible idea btw.

I'm not against the Ice Climbers coming back in this game, i'd be glad actually (any veteran to come back is a good thing in my book). It's just that their chances of doing so are just extremely low. With any luck though, they'll be back in Smash 5, along Pichu, Ivysaur, Wolf, and all the other veterans.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
He's like an angry yellow bee you just can't swat.

Pichu was one of the characters I played in Melee (Alongside Pikachu and Bowser) so I have a soft spot in my heart for the adorable little rodent that was supposed to be the joke character of the game, yet see it 4 stocking a Marth pleases me to no end. Pichu could benefit crazy well from a "Roy-ification" that Roy got in Smash 4.

Edit: Not sure how many people would pay for Pichu, but I would. Could I be added to the supporters?

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
He's like an angry yellow bee you just can't swat.

Pichu was one of the characters I played in Melee (Alongside Pikachu and Bowser) so I have a soft spot in my heart for the adorable little rodent that was supposed to be the joke character of the game, yet see it 4 stocking a Marth pleases me to no end. Pichu could benefit crazy well from a "Roy-ification" that Roy got in Smash 4.

Edit: Not sure how many people would pay for Pichu, but I would. Could I be added to the supporters?
If they keep the Self-Damage mechanic, he should get a Roy-ification and then some.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Hello!

I'm here to support the cute little guy. As a fan who wants to see all veterans return to Sm4sh, I am absolutely inclined to support Pichu. So...Hi.

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
No one ever said that Pichu was a joke in good sources I know of - he was advertising Pokemon GSC.

GDChu

Smash Rookie
No one ever said that Pichu was a joke in good sources I know of - he was advertising Pokemon GSC.
Well, in my experience, people debated whether Pichu or Mr. G&W was the joke character. The main reason Pichu got in was of course Second Gen has been out for a bit and Japan loved him. Sakurai didn't really see many Second gen Pokemon that he liked or was able to incorporate a proper move set for so, he settled for making Pichu as a clone character like others in Melee's roster.

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
Well, in my experience, people debated whether Pichu or Mr. G&W was the joke character. The main reason Pichu got in was of course Second Gen has been out for a bit and Japan loved him. Sakurai didn't really see many Second gen Pokemon that he liked or was able to incorporate a proper move set for so, he settled for making Pichu as a clone character like others in Melee's roster.
i am pretty sure it was confirmed in some interview that pichu was a joke, not to mention its trophy mentions its "top of the line in weakness" or something.

joke or not, its intentionally meant to be weak, something i hope they change

Furret24

Smash Master
I thought G&W was the "Off the Wall" character in Melee, like ROB in Brawl and DHD in Smash 4.

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
In my experience, Pichu has often been constantly degraded to the extent of being called a total 'worthless joke'. It's really horrible to see.

GDChu

Smash Rookie
In my experience, Pichu has often been constantly degraded to the extent of being called a total 'worthless joke'. It's really horrible to see.
Yep, I constantly see players talk about him being the worst despite not knowing about him.
They constantly bring up "He hurts himself" as a reason as to why he's the worst but, it could be that most people I've come across are just more from the casual side of things.
And, one argument I had made me think, Pichu and Roy both fall into a category of poorly done clones. But, the reputations that both characters have are completely the opposite. Someone told me that Pichu shouldn't be back cause "he is an exact copy of Pikachu but, worse in every way". Of course I know far too well, that isn't true I dropped Pika for Pichu because of said differences. But, he went on to say that Roy was a "good character" and gave almost nothing to back it up.
Now, I don't hate Roy, I actually like how he changed to become more of a Semi-clone and actually performs better than Marth now. Like, my friend, who loves Roy, even admits that Melee Marth out performs Roy in almost everyway.

Last edited:

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
Yep, I constantly see players talk about him being the worst despite not knowing about him.
They constantly bring up "He hurts himself" as a reason as to why he's the worst but, it could be that most people I've come across are just more from the casual side of things.
And, one argument I had made me think, Pichu and Roy both fall into a category of poorly done clones. But, the reputations that both characters have are completely the opposite. Someone told me that Pichu shouldn't be back cause "he is an exact copy of Pikachu but, worse in every way". Of course I know far too well, that isn't true I dropped Pika for Pichu because of said differences. But, he went on to say that Roy was a "good character" and gave almost nothing to back it up.
Now, I don't hate Roy, I actually like how he changed to become more of a Semi-clone and actually performs better than Marth now. Like, my friend, who loves Roy, even admits that Melee Marth out performs Roy in almost everyway.
I have no clue as to how anyone could think Kirby isn't the worst character in Melee or how Roy is a "good character" in Melee. Kirby is severely lacking in almost everything (Inlcuding vital things like recovery, speed, power, and approach) and is light on top of that. Roy isn't very good either because he's not safe. A combination of trash recovery and sweetspots that require getting close your opponent leads to very unsafe matchups against most characters (Especially against any that have a projectile). Oh, and the sourspots are garbage as well. Pichu, on the other hand, while incredibly fragile, has pretty good KO ability and has good damage output (Not saying Pichu is very good, it has pitiful range and dies very fast due to it having a weight of just 50).

On the topic of buffs Pichu could get though, it could benefit greatly from an aura mechanic similar to Lucario.

EDIT: I find it criminal that there are so few Pichu supporters. We need more propaganda.

Last edited:

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
So, how do you support Pichu? Maybe some ideas on how to continue to doing so as well?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I have no clue as to how anyone could think Kirby isn't the worst character in Melee or how Roy is a "good character" in Melee. Kirby is severely lacking in almost everything (Inlcuding vital things like recovery, speed, power, and approach) and is light on top of that.
Kirby has 6 jumps and his Fireball will trade damage with practically anything. Yes, he lacks in KO power but he makes up for this with the cheapass instakill that is the Swallowcide Cancel. Using aerials between jumps gives him all the recovery he'll ever need to boot so his only real flaws are damage output and low weight, both of which are noticably worse in the american versions.

Whether you like it or not, Kirby is only the second worst character in PAL Melee and his tricks make him one of the best characters for a beginner. Pichu, while full of potential, is worse in a competetive sense, is harder to pick up and is far more similar to other cast members.
I love Pichu but don't you dare try and tell me he's better than Kirby.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
I'm back from my hiatus. And it warms me to see the support here keeps growing! From unique moveset ideas to custom amiibos, it really shows that our Pichu has a demanding fanbase despite all the naysayers. I've updated the OP and added your ideas, as well as updated the support list which has grown even more! I would like to thank you all for keeping this thread active while i was gone, as well as showing support for this adorable character. If there is anything i missed in adding to the OP please let me know immediately!

Top Bottom