• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The current situation of the UK scene (resolved)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Since there's been a few topics of controversy in the last 2 days, I think we should have a discussion to sort things out in our community.

1. Is it really wise to split up our Melee&Brawl community? I am not necessarily talking about the London Monthlies that Fuzzyness runs here.

2. Tournaments in and around Summer? It'd be horrible if too many people wanted to host and we started having very inconvenient dates.

3. Hosts? I reckon it'd be pretty cool if we had a Melee and Brawl hoster in both regions comparable to the London Monthlies.

My view on these is:

1. I don't really think it's a smart decision to just split up our communities so suddenly. A lot of people play both games or have friends in another community that they don't play with (for example, I'm on good terms with a lot of Brawlers but I don't play it competitively anymore). If we look at other countries, many 2 day events run both Brawl and Melee where it is possible.

I'm guessing people were attempting to split the communities to get the Brawlers to host nationals? I don't really see the point, Darren stepped up about 2 days earlier saying he was going to host one. :s We don't need to alienate our communities, it's not good in the long run.

In regards to the London Monthlies becoming Melee only, I personally think this is a good idea (making Monthly 1 day events a single game only) since it allows for doubles, an aspect that I believe the UK should begin taking seriously (see: VA+Swizzy's recent performance). I would love to see a competitive doubles scene like the US where people train for ages with their team partner, form new strategies and work well together. I believe this can also benefit the Brawl scene. If we have a London Monthly alternative that is Brawl only, this means that both events would have both a singles and doubles event, strengthening the doubles metagame in both communities.

Overall, I would say since the Monthlies are just a simple one day event it would be better to just stick to one game for that event so that we can run both a singles and doubles bracket.

2. I currently see 3 tournaments planned around Summer for the UK. Darren's tournament, GT3 and SNY. I've also seen a few other people like Jankai talking about wanting to host a tournament. Perhaps the tournament hosts could talk about dates with each other? It'd be really bad if too many tournaments were organised and they started compromising each other's turn out. :s Although for obvious reasons, SNY's date should be set in stone.

3. From what Charles has said, I'm gathering that if we had two seperate London Monthly events he would allow the Brawl scene to use his TVs. Charles, didn't you mention the current venue being too small? I am actually willing to step up and host Brawl events in London, since people are now (finally) organising Brawl nationals I think this would be a good time to mark my return. Can you IM me with details that need sorting out?

What about the NW? It looks like Gamerbase monthlies are going to be run again for the Brawl scene. Is it really such a good venue? The 6 pm leaving time is extremely limiting from my past experience of attending the event and you don't get many TVs to use. -.- And what about the Melee NW players? It'd be cool to see an alternative offered by them. =)

The Filth

Smash Lord
From what I've seen, there's a handful of people in both communities who will just flat out not get along with each other, nor even particularly want to.

You make a fair point though, this whole episode has a whole lot of toys being thrown out of prams.

Edit: Lmao ^ case in point

Calzorz

Smash Lord
good read but i dono what the answer is right now il just have to see who steps up and makes a sucess of organising

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I do get along with brawlers actually.....so me saying brawl sucks doesn't really show that I don't get along with the people who play it.

Though some of the brawlers don't like which is good...cos I really don't like them either :)

I just think it's affecting the growth of melee IMO and Melee is a better game....so boot brawl out.

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
I do get along with brawlers actually.....so me saying brawl sucks doesn't really show that I don't get along with the people who play it.

Though some of the brawlers don't like which is good...cos I really don't like them either :)

I just think it's affecting the growth of melee IMO and Melee is a better game....so boot brawl out.
no its not, if anything id say brawl has a positive effect on melee. unless you run out of room for melee players(which has never happened) there is only good to come from brawl and melee players being one big happy family.as much as you think prof, brawl helps melee and melee helps brawl.players from both sides play the other game which overall developes the UK community.it also lets people play the other where they would not travel to a venue just for that one game.

the reason for the uk smash community not being motivated isnt becuase we have to communitys, its the fact we simply dont do enough.

Jolteon

Brawl sucks....kick it somewhere dark and quiet.
<3

From what I've seen, there's a handful of people in both communities who will just flat out not get along with each other, nor even particularly want to.

You make a fair point though, this whole episode has a whole lot of toys being thrown out of prams.

Edit: Lmao ^ case in point
I think this is irrelevant to different communities. People in BOTH communities don't get along even with people who play the same game with them (look at tamoo and j3ly lol..)

and aaron's not really fussed in real life he just does this on the boards lol but i guess i see what you mean to an extent.

good read but i dono what the answer is right now il just have to see who steps up and makes a sucess of organising
ok, fair enough.

I'm going to agree with you on monthlies, 1 day isn't enough time to run a good event for both games. We've been forced to run ridiculous bracket sets like BO1 or single elim before and we never run doubles. I can see a few brawl+melee nationals going smoothly on the other hand though and I sometimes think that a national with both games can be better.

AmcD

Smash Ace
I would run a tournament in Liverpool but have 0 options of housing :( unless people were to step up and stay in cheap hotel/hostel or people nearby were to offer housing.
Also, for me running brawl alongside melee doesn't help especially if it's going to reduce the amount of games i can have and no doubles!
I don't mind brawl being alongside melee so long it doesn't affect melee.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
no its not, if anything id say brawl has a positive effect on melee. unless you run out of room for melee players(which has never happened) there is only good to come from brawl and melee players being one big happy family.as much as you think prof, brawl helps melee and melee helps brawl.players from both sides play the other game which overall developes the UK community.it also lets people play the other where they would not travel to a venue just for that one game.

the reason for the uk smash community not being motivated isnt becuase we have to communitys, its the fact we simply dont do enough.
lolol Brawl can never help melee.

Unless it's helping melee on it's downfall.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
I'm going to agree with you on monthlies, 1 day isn't enough time to run a good event for both games. We've been forced to run ridiculous bracket sets like BO1 or single elim before and we never run doubles. I can see a few brawl+melee nationals going smoothly on the other hand though and I sometimes think that a national with both games can be better.

I've already said alex

1) there isnt enough time for brawl to do doubles + singles on a sat at the venue I use, 8 hours isnt enough time >_> unless you want to try yourself fair enough but you have to persuade the people to bring 10-20 setups too to use the t.vs up

2) I still said I might do a 2 days national again with both games once a year?

Jolteon

I've already said alex

1) there isnt enough time for brawl to do doubles + singles on a sat at the venue I use, 8 hours isnt enough time >_> unless you want to try yourself fair enough but you have to persuade the people to bring 10-20 setups too to use the t.vs up

2) I still said I might do a 2 days national again with both games once a year?
1. How sure are you? We had two days to do singles+doubles for both games, why can't one day be enough for one game? If you're really certain though I will look for another venue. Maybe one closer to Victoria and a Premier Inn or a Travelodge? I don't see there being enough housing for Brawlers up North. -.-

2. That sounds fine, I just wanna sort out Brawl and Melee monthlies first. =)

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
im sorry but your very much wrong
No, I am very much right....
Brawl has dragged down melee, it has not improved it....it's got in it's way.

Which is why your game (which I would like to add is a boring game) is getting the nice, big and juicy boot.

lol....You can't even submit that anyway due to it being 3:00 and the it needed to be 1min....why did you leave like 50 seconds of nothingness and just the music playing lol???

It was pretty good though....a bit repetitive though after awhile with the shine movement on Battlefield....where's the edegcancels, different stages, the aerials which should come along with the shine movement, the pivots, using the sheild drops in different ways like into edgecancelling something......and also be more creative with everything cos everything is kinda basic but just a fast version of basic lol.

Nothing too new.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
No, I am very much right....
Brawl has dragged down melee, it has not improved it....it's got in it's way.

Which is why your game (which I would like to add is a boring game) is getting the nice, big and juicy boot.
But Melee has inferior graphics, soundtrack, and roster count.

Brawl is obviously the better game, stop with this incessant drivel.

X1-12

Smash Champion
I am gonna post this here too, so people read it.

London, Seriously search for venues.. theres what, 5 universities in central london? Uni's are great locations as they are easy for people to find thier waythere. , there's so many rooms there there's high availability as well as nearby facilities like shops etc..

Potential hosts you need to check out solid places (city wise) to do it, if you can host somewhere where theres cheap travel from london (the biggest smash scene AFAIK) then you will get the turnout

Thirdly Hosts need to TALK ABOUT DATES, honestly, now need to cram everything in the summer holidays. It doesn't matter if your tourney isnt in the summer, as long as people know when it is early, they can get there AND they will ba able to afford it as they havn't spent all their money on other tourneys

Also Fuzz and the london monthlies, if you can get genuinely every month tournaments running, singles + doubles melee, I'm sure that someone in the brawl community will be able to do something similar for brawl (if melee was in london, and then brawl was in the north, people would only have to pay for 1 long journey even if they play both games)]

Sort it out guys

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
im thinking of trying to fit doubles and singles for both games in 8 hours ^_^"

the only flawback, if our communities dont bring 10 setups each it wont happen..and NO ONE comes late otherwise I won't enter you. If you want me to accomodate still for the brawl community they have to stop taking the piss with setups and lateness :p but this also counts for PROFESSOR PRO

potentially there's 6 hours or 6 hours 30 mins of tournament time at my events.

venue opens at 1:30pm -> 2pm
venue gets all set up by 2:15pm
signups get finished by 2:30pm - 3pm

3 pm - 9:30pm = 6 hours 30 mins

Doubles takes about 2-3 hours

6 hours 30 mins - 2/3 hours = 3:30 - 4:30

(pools) + bracket has to be completed in:

3 hours 30 mins - 4 hours 30 mins

Don't do pools?

I will also still think about holding national melee only events occasionally

But Melee has inferior graphics, soundtrack, and roster count.

Brawl is obviously the better game, stop with this incessant drivel.
I really do love you.

im thinking of trying to fit doubles and singles for both games in 8 hours ^_^"

the only flawback, if our communities dont bring 10 setups each it wont happen
I did say that this community has thieves. Thats why Wiis do not come as frequently, I can never be sure something won't get stolen when I go to a tournament.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
me and jolteon might do bi-weeklies? every 2 weeks a diff game

so melee every 4 weeks?
brawl every 4 weeks?

Plan :

Melee - June 12th
Brawl - June 26th

SmashGT3 (or just another melee event in general) - July 17th?

Meaning 2 months of practise in preparation for SNY and Brawl having events still in london

getting both singles + doubles done. Only problem will be is brawl in July, as I don't think people will want to be practicing brawl when preparing for SNY

"its only problematic for people who play both games" =/

although there could be 2 day joined nationals during the holidays to get around this?

K.Mac

Smash Lord
I really do love you.

I did say that this community has thieves. Thats why Wiis do not come as frequently, I can never be sure something won't get stolen when I go to a tournament.
+10 @ teran

And relevant to the quote, I know what KJ means (had my pad stolen FIRST ****ING VISIT TO LONDON. Losing that pad still stings, it's not really the same playing with my current pad because the R trigger is all weird. -_-

I can't really make a comment on the melee / brawl splitting thing because I a) already trolled prof in another thread and b) I hate the fact that two communities want to stay separate even though the two games are FROM THE SAME GOD**** SERIES AND ARE AWESOME IN THEIR OWN INDIVIDUAL WAYS.

Also I won't be able to chill in the kitchen and see Prof mope in and out like I did at GT2 (yes, I was in the kitchen and you moped around without even glancing at me. rofl)

end of post.
osnap, I did make a comment. oh well. :psycho:

AmcD

Smash Ace
Thing is you can't host both games for 1 day in London that's the problem and I don't see why melee should suffer for it.
The new plans Charles/JT made are good for both games. So yeah bi-weeklies best idea :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom