• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data The Complete Samus Combo and String List

Rikkhan

Smash Apprentice
Sadly my laptop died, but I can say that the combo:
MB -> fTilt -> uTilt -> ...etc
Only works with fast fallers like falcon or fox.

Other combos seems to work fine with all characters it just change the % or in some rare cases the bomb distance. I think only Jigglypuff is inmmune toto some ground combos.

I'll post more info later when I get a working PC and hopefully I'll post a vídeo.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Thanks for the clarification Xygonn, I've only know of the terminology, not really the specifics of its meaning.

Another big update from me forthcoming with combo sweetspots for every character and some really simply mathematical rules that apply across the entire combo tree.
I am really happy at how accurate the numbers work out to be, in actual game, not merely training mode.
There is a LOT of polish done on the design end for this character, the numbers are really not random, even on horizontal launch. The n-air "flatten" tech chase basically stops a full FD away - at the exact percentages the f-tilt tech chase begins. For every character, all of them. Sakurai! If you're out there... I'm on to you...
Looking at the marth boards they have a nice vertical knockout list. I ranked it here.

This sort of shows how weight gravity and fall speed matter. For example Charizard weighs 115 and his fall speed is 1.4 but his gravity is 0.11. Samus' weight is 108, her fall speed is 1.25 and her gravity is 0.075. In this case, our lower gravity results in a lower total launch despite being both lighter and floatier. Notably these rankings are a bit different for Shulk's Usmash per the character weight thread. This makes me think "pierce" quality of the attack matters against Samus somehow. Maybe I'll go ask smash academy if they know anything about that...

Jigglypuff 134%
Mr. Game & Watch 138%
Kirby 145%
Rosalina % Luma 148%
Pikachu 148%
Olimar 149%
Meta Knight 152%
Fox 153%
Peach 154%
Sheik 154%
Zelda 155%
Palutena 155%
Toon Link 156%
Falco 158%
Greninja 158%
Ness 158%
Zero Suit Samus 159%
Wii Fit Trainer 159%
Luigi 160%
Villager 161%
Pac 163%
Sonic 164%
Yoshi 165%
Mario 167%
Robin 167%
Dr. Mario 167%
Little Mac 168%
Pit 168%
Marth 168%
Dark Pit 168%
Lucina 168%
Diddy Kong 169%
Duck Hunt Duo 171%
Charizard 171%
Wario 173%
Samus 173%
R.O.B. 173%
Shulk 174%
Lucario 175%
Link 176%
Mega Man 180%
Bowser Jr. 181%
Bowser 183%
Ganondorf 183%
Ike 184%
Captain Falcon 185%
Donkey Kong 194%
King Dedede 204%

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Sadly my laptop died, but I can say that the combo:
MB -> fTilt -> uTilt -> ...etc
Only works with fast fallers like falcon or fox
Yeah I fiddled around last night with MB for a bit out of curiosity to see what you were doing. For the record I got MB->Ftilt->Up-tilt to work on rob at 20%. You're getting the hitstun to last
into their horizontal slide on stage animation because they hit the ground fast enough.
When I realized all the vertical launchers were linked by simple numbers I went looking for a horizontal launch magic number.
What clued me in to the predictable nature of the combos was doing up-tilt->CS combos and then finding the d-air combos were exactly, precisely, +20% off.
Then the correlations between all the others follow naturally, with slight difference between where the launcher initially puts your target (i.e. up-air or dash or grab).
I was then really excited and went to look into the horizontal launch I started by looking at when n-air and f-tilt launch the target prone.
N-air starts at 28% on Bowser and gently slides down to 19% on Jiggly.
F-tilt starts at 105% on Bowser and more radically slides down to 76% on Jiggly.
I was really hoping it would be just a simple "add +60%" but that's not the way it seems to work. The reason for this, I realize, is that aside from a very very small number of moves
everything has a component of vertical launch and horizontal launch (take DDD down smash for instance). And I think the reason the Samus combos are so very predictable,
particularly the up-tilt and D-air is because they only launch vertically.
I'm going to try and tease out a rule of thumb formula (or someone else could), for curiosity more than practicality sake at some point. The vast bulk of Samus' combos rely on vertical launching and so we're lucky (or more likely by design).
For now I keep in mind when I fight that 28% flattens anyone with n-air, and 105% with f-tilt. (Rage dependant exact same formula - 13% n-air at 150% rage).

That's interesting Xygonn, didn't know they had compiled a list. I think it correlates fairly well with the magic numbers list, with DDD having the biggest combo window in the game. Not perfect correlation but close.
I'm adding your shield info into the links, thanks again for compiling that in that other thread.

Last edited:

Rikkhan

Smash Apprentice
since I can't get my pc to work here's potato video of the mega bomb combos, I didnt put some fancy ones because it will take too many tries to make the combo, and you don't wanna see like 10 mins of failed combos.

Rikkhan

Smash Apprentice
its a shame I failed the bAir ones, they are very powerful, I also missed the long range combos and the aerial bomb combos and fancy ones like one that kills at 10% and does 72% damage, well I could upload another I guess.

@ Afro Smash Afro Smash IMO the best color :)

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Hey potato video is better than no video, and it shows people what you mean visually which is a much better teacher. Even if it's all situational I feel knowledge is power, and if I don't know, I simply won't even try for an option, artificially
limiting myself.

I'll be updating the OP later tonight with still more additional combos and much needed links.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Thanks for the votes guys, glad it's of use to you.

Added in all the missing combos with appropriate ranges on R.O.B. for people to test out. All the up-air -> CS variants, the up-air -> d-air variants. Also included d-air and up-tilt -> d-smash, which in hindsight of course does combo, just poorly in a narrow range. It does set up a CS tech chase, so it's not completely useless. Up-throw to Up-B does technically true combo on certain members of the cast, really not recommended, but in there for completeness.
Bomb -> d-air spike added.

Still have to add in stage-cancelled f-air combos, damn the timing is strict on that tech...

Tumultus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTumultus
So wait, the same move can actually cause more hitstun on different characters? Really?

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Yep! Some characters are easily comboed, others almost not at all.
Here's a simple one to convince yourself: try up-tilt->up-smash on villager. Combos between 48 and 58% and you may even struggle to get everything to connect to full damage without practice at the edges of that range.
Then try DDD. Combos between 37 and 82%. Or to convince yourself it's not merely hurtbox size and falling properties try something smaller and lighter like Kirby, between 30 and 52%.
Villager has basically 1 frame at the peak of his hitstun where he flips upside down just briefly, then he's back in control, if you want any degree of success to combo Villager you want to hit him as he's rising.
It's why the multi-hits often fail to vacuum properly on this character, the small hits don't provide enough hitstun.
You can't even up-tilt -> CS villager. Doesn't work, at all. Or Samus for that matter. You have to wait until they are at higher damage to hit them during the rising portion of their hitstun with a J -> CS.
R.O.B. totally different matter, flops around in the air for plenty of frames, tilts over like a slow falling tree.
This really is built into the game.

It also means that some of the redundancy in the combo tree is not actually redundancy, but more target specific. In my combo video you see me up-tilt -> up-tilt rosalina. That's because rosalina is in the special class of characters that don't combo well. You *can* combo her, but practically you want a single solid hit follow up. Don't try for up-tilt -> up-smash, will likely get you burned. You want to use up-tilt -> f-smash and up-tilt -> up-tilt. Likewise in aerial follow up you want to finish the combo as soon as possible with a single solid hit, like n-air or b-air or rising CS.
Incidentally this knowledge alone improved my rosalina matchup considerably.

Last edited:

Tumultus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTumultus
That's so interesting; this is all very good knowledge to bring into certain MUs. I wonder if with the right testing we can come up with a list of all characters in order of how much hitstun they incur. It would be super helpful.

Great job figuring all of this out, it's a great asset to the board.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Thanks! Any character listed in the magic number table with a * is a low-hitsun character. The rest are fair game, with some variance but not that much.
To give you an idea of how big the combo windows are here attached is my earlier promised data that I collected to convince myself that the patterns I was seeing are real.

I honestly think that the rage mechanic is masking a lot of the mathematical certitude of many of this game's combos and the emphasis right now is only on those combos (Hoo Ha) which have such a huge range of applicability that rage can be easily corrected for by intuitive feel. But that intuitive feel for tighter oombos will eventually happen and with good knowledge of the %s I'm really hoping to see Samus shine.

Attachments

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
While testing basic SH AD n-air or b-air -> dash I realized I sucked at these earlier. Using instant dash (dash left stick + down on c-stick) you can actually greatly improve the reliability of these simple combos, and working into the 40% range is really not crap, I'm going remove my "tight" tag on them, they're quite good.
If it frame cancels you can get the dash to hit much earlier, and that means nair or b-air->dash->up-air->CS for 54+ damage is real, although quite difficult if you want to try for a crazy cool looking combo.
The location of that string allows me to pin down how the horizontal combos work relative to the verticals, and I may have been wrong initially, they could be all tied together by the same magic number, the knockdown numbers being unrelated.
I'll hold off further testing and updating the OP until the upcoming balance patch as many things are likely to change and who knows may change considerably.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Ah yeah I'll add a note to the tips section, I thought it was already in there. Out of neutral you tap the direction stick horizontal to start a dash and then rather than hitting "A" you use "down" on the c-stick, i.e. down-smash. This makes you do a frame perfect dash, avoids accidental f-smash, tilt.

Tumultus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTumultus
Fascinating; I had never heard of the instant dash. That makes things so interesting! I'm imagining a couple of strings that are made so much easier with the instant dash... You're doing the lord's work, son.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
Ah yeah I'll add a note to the tips section, I thought it was already in there. Out of neutral you tap the direction stick horizontal to start a dash and then rather than hitting "A" you use "down" on the c-stick, i.e. down-smash. This makes you do a frame perfect dash, avoids accidental f-smash, tilt.
This will help me immensely, like whoa.

Scream

Smash Apprentice
You can add D-Throw -> SH/FH -> Nair for percents between 5% - 55% (As tested on ROB).

It can be very useful as a Mix-up on Fastfallers especially, as you can get a jab lock if they aren't ready for the tech.
On Shiek you can even Kill her very early if you get luck and have the position right with DThrow -> SH -> Nair -> (Jab reset with) down-angled Ftilt -> Charge Fsmash.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
I tried to find where I learned that insta dash worked in smash4, I really don't know who to reference it was an old brawl technique I think, no idea who to reference for it. Glad it's of use!
I've also added a link in the tips and tricks for kara smash which people may or may not know about, Samus' kara-smash is useful to squeeze out a bit more reach at the expense of a few frames.

@ Scream Scream Nice find! I feel like an ass, I should have checked more carefully. Convinced myself at the time it was 2 frame window and the n-air being off by 3 relative to up-air would just never land. A bit silly in hindsight. Definitely has its uses. With a double jump I've been able to get the range up all the way to 85%. It's very tight at low %s and I feel D-throw-> n-air works best with a short dash like the up-air variant albeit at higher %.
I tried a bunch of times tonight to get a true combo with rar b-air from d-throw, no dice. Maybe KayJay can pull it off with his frame perfect rar b-air. It would be at higher % necessarily, like around 70 or 80 however that's also precisely where you would want a kill throw to work.

Tumultus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTumultus
A ledge cancelled fair (probably platform cancelled too) combos into a f-smash at very low percentages; around 10-15%

Also into jab, and f-tilt, of course. Just throwing some extra combos out there :p There might be more, I'm experimenting with f-air. It's not your typical combo starter but under certain conditions, like these ledge cancels, it does work!

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Nice! After the patch I'll add them into the OP with a special section devoted to zero-death strings and combos.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Just tested and zair > up b is a true combo from 0

currently testing jab combos

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Big update, many things added to adjust for recent 1.06 patch.
0-death strings section, shield break bomb combo, grab -> n-air ranges, long-range combo ranges adjusted for new super missile speed, f-tilt strings, f-tilt combo damage adjusted.
New f-tilt knockdown range means you can get a CS tech chase out of n-air, a b-air and an up-tilt, z-air combo/string at the mid % ranges. NEVER aim for a d-air -> f-tilt, even if your opponent is a teching god. It's all but impossible to get the good portion of the leg to connect.
Super missile nerf is really not that bad actually. They are tighter, and require forward jump. I'm still a bit baffled as to why this was done, let alone f-tilt.
Added Mewtwo magic number. Mewtwo is total combo food, he has rob-level combo window and a similar hurtbox. You can literally, not figuratively, kill Mewtwo in 2 combos.
Any 40 damage variant of up-air->up->air->up-B then follow up with d-air->up-air->CS. Land a dash, land a d-air and he misses a tech, well... thanks for playing LOL. They always let us charge our shot at the beginning too..

@ Afro Smash Afro Smash of course, thanks, don't know why I didn't think of it before since it's frame 6. Adds another very high % kill option as well.

Still missing the ledge and stage f-air combos. Also still missing some links in the compendium section to all the good data threads people are posting. Will do this coming week.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Updated with all the true combos out of a stage/platform cancelled f-air. That should be it. EVERYTHING.
I've also added many links to the compedium section.
Appropriate referencing/credit given, if I've missed something, tell me.

I still have to investigate whether I can link horizontal with vertical combos and see if they can be meshed into the table. I think with reasonable accuracy it can be done, particularly since dash->CS is a narrow range combo and so it allows stuff like n-air->dash it to be pinned down in the tree. Maybe. Some other day, not tonight...

I'll post a video in a short while of me landing many of these combos in glory matches even some of the nice 4-step narrow range ones.

Last edited:

AgentM

Smash Rookie
This may not be the most revolutionary combo (only 14% total), but from what I tested in training, you can combo a mid-range super missile into SH Z-air from about 10% - 65% on R.O.B. and combo a mid-range super missile into FJ Z-air from about 30 - 70% on R.O.B.

Say your opponent is trying to approach you while you're putting long range super missile pressure on them, if they're close enough and mess up shielding/dodging so you actually hit them with a super, you can follow up with a Z-air for small "bonus" damage.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Nice find! Again wondering why I didn't think of it earlier... I was able to extend the range to 90% with DJ, I'll verify exact numbers and add it in. Any guaranteed damage is my favourite form of damage. It all adds up.

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
Nice find! Again wondering why I didn't think of it earlier... I was able to extend the range to 90% with DJ, I'll verify exact numbers and add it in. Any guaranteed damage is my favourite form of damage. It all adds up.
And the move refreshment from Zair is equally if not more awesome than the bonus damage.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
I just combo'd D Throw > Bair on Falcon from around 90, so that's a combo! gonna test it on some others, gonna assume it only works on fastfallers/heavies cuz they'll still need to be close enough to reach but have high percent to ensure enough hitstun, and like all D Throw combos probably DI dependent

Falcon from 90ish
ROB from 100ish
Dedede 100sh (though far easier to sweetspot around 120s)

Last edited:

S.P.A.D.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lavama
I just combo'd D Throw > Bair on Falcon from around 90, so that's a combo! gonna test it on some others, gonna assume it only works on fastfallers/heavies cuz they'll still need to be close enough to reach but have high percent to ensure enough hitstun, and like all D Throw combos probably DI dependent

Falcon from 90ish
ROB from 100ish
What was that about Hoo Hah? Muahahahahahahahaha

EDIT: I've got a friend that does it on Bowser pretty regularly. Don't know the percent but I don't know if he kills on it or not at all. DO any of these kill? I'm having insane brain farts right now.

Last edited:

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt

Falcon from 90ish
ROB from 100ish
You just made my day. Bair is my favorite move and now we have a theoretical combo into it? :' )

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
I assure you its not just theoretical my dear boy, and yes it does kill as long as you're relatively close to the ledge

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Very nice! I've been wanting someone with frame perfect RAR to see if it could for a bit now. Can you give me a range @ Afro Smash Afro Smash on ROB to know how tight it is? I'll then add it in. D-Throw->F-air actually kills too at the highest % range, however the opponent has a lot of leeway to DI away at those %. (B-air of course kills MUCH better and so to know the combo is great).

I've explored some old ideas, done some testing and I've since realized there is a way to land up-tilt that negates teching. It's crazy, crazy good. Video hopefully this weekend.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
No, the opposite, he has one of the worst. D3 is the absolute worst, R.O.B 2nd. I also historically just started making the list with R.O.B, before I knew the structure of the combo tree, magic numbers, rage, etc...

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
Small addition to add. Relentless missiles can combo into Bair at any percent. It's a super powerful optiom lln if your opponents at the ledge because if he shields you've a free grab, and if gets hit or if he he jumps to avoid the projectile he eats the bair.

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
http://smashboards.com/threads/butter-your-bread-a-bnb-50-50s-and-frame-trap-tutorial-series.401680/ A really good guide about combos was posted a few days ago in the Competitive Discussion boards, may be good to add it to the list of helpful links.

And, Dash Attack > U-air > Sour B-air > Screw Attack is a string I've been pulling off a bit recently at really low %s.
I tried it on ROB in training mode but couldn't pull it off, so it could be a DI thing, or only works on certain characters, I originally got it on Peach if that helps.
May even work out of D-throw, haven't tried it yet though.

Scream

Smash Apprentice
And, Dash Attack > U-air > Sour B-air > Screw Attack is a string I've been pulling off a bit recently at really low %s.
I tried it on ROB in training mode but couldn't pull it off, so it could be a DI thing, or only works on certain characters, I originally got it on Peach if that helps.
May even work out of D-throw, haven't tried it yet though.
Definitly works out of Dthrow.Works especially well on opponents that like to challenge your strings as its just short of a combo i imagine.

Top Bottom