• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data The Complete Samus Combo and String List

Caedus

Smash Cadet
I got utilt > FJ > bair > J > bair to combo from 61% to 79% on Rob. The first bair has to be the 9% hitbox. It can kill if you sweetspot the last bair.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
I got utilt > FJ > bair > J > bair to combo from 61% to 79% on Rob. The first bair has to be the 9% hitbox. It can kill if you sweetspot the last bair.
Yep, but unfortunately the up-tilt -> late hit b-air (frame 11) does not link, it's too many frames, they can air-dodge out of it.
Keep labing!

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
DungeonMaster DungeonMaster , I am still trying to put the pieces together in your massive combo video, and there are still things I have questions about.

Specifically, in the large, final portion of the video where you demonstrate what combos chain into each of the starters, I was wondering about the titles you gave for each section.

1)

For example, at 1:15:49, it is Single Combo Chain Ending.
At 1:16:00, it is Single Combo Chain Starting.

In this case the 'Single' refers to the fact that you hit the opponent with Up-air after the Up-throw and end it there.

For Chain Ending you show D-throw -> Up-air -> Up-air -> Up-B
For Chain Starting you show Up-tilt -> Up-smash

Is the triple considered "chain ending" because after landing that, you have no way to tell what combos are now at your disposal? Whereas the Up-tilt -> Up-smash is "chain starting" because landing this means you can follow up with broad combos as you mentioned at 17:11?

2)

In the combo exhibition, at 1:10:39, this section is titled "On or Below Shouders, Lv. 2 & 3 Jump Ins." I get that we're still talking about singles like in the previous section (DA -> Up-air to start), so you're saying that after a single that is on or below Samus' shoulders, you can now use either lv. 2 or lv. 3 jump-ins? What wasn't clear to me when you went over the jump-in starters (starting at 42:12) is what are the lv. 2 and lv. 3 jump-ins? You went over jump-in starters like Nair -> d-tilt, N-air -> f-tilt, N-air -> dash attack, but didn't specify which is lv. 2 and lv. 3 and so forth.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
For Chain Ending you show D-throw -> Up-air -> Up-air -> Up-B
For Chain Starting you show Up-tilt -> Up-smash
Is the triple considered "chain ending" because after landing that, you have no way to tell what combos are now at your disposal? Whereas the Up-tilt -> Up-smash is "chain starting" because landing this means you can follow up with broad combos as you mentioned at 17:11?
Yeah I realize that despite my efforts at explaining it's a bit murky.

So every combo has a range of validity in smash 4, some are broad and work over a wide range of percents and some are narrow and work only on a small range.
In the example you picked out if you've landed an Up-throw -> Single follow up, the D-throw -> Up-air -> Up-air -> Up-B is at the end of the range at which that triple combo works.
In other words if you were actually fighting an opponent, and you threw a jab somewhere in between, increasing their percentage by 3%, or correspondingly they hit you for 30% the triple will likely not connect, you're going to only get a double.
Similarly If you instead tried to land Up-tilt -> Up-smash, that combo can indeed connect after landing an Up-throw -> Single follow up but it's only just starting to connect.
If you throw a jab in between or take a pack of damage the Up-tilt -> Up-smash will connect better, the percentages get closer to sweetspot and so you have more frames to work with (and can say, jump cancel up-smash slide into it).
Because it's just starting and the Up-tilt -> Up-smash is a broad combo you could even throw out a more damaging more like a d-tilt and take some damage it would likely still connect.

In the combo exhibition, at 1:10:39, this section is titled "On or Below Shouders, Lv. 2 & 3 Jump Ins." I get that we're still talking about singles like in the previous section (DA -> Up-air to start), so you're saying that after a single that is on or below Samus' shoulders, you can now use either lv. 2 or lv. 3 jump-ins? What wasn't clear to me when you went over the jump-in starters (starting at 42:12) is what are the lv. 2 and lv. 3 jump-ins? You went over jump-in starters like Nair -> d-tilt, N-air -> f-tilt, N-air -> dash attack, but didn't specify which is lv. 2 and lv. 3 and so forth.
Yes, after you land a single that is on or below Samus' shoulders you can now freely try for either a lv.2 or a lv.3 jump in as the combo ranges for both overlap. Both level 2 and level 3 can land, depending on how deep you jump in, and/or simply preferance.
In other words if you do dash attack and land an up-air and they clearly fall down and out of the second follow up, you don't need to spam dash attack (of which I'm as guilty of as the next Samus main...) but you can instead try for a N-air or B-air starter into your dash attack - a lv.3 jump in.
However you might want to just stick with the lv. 2, N-air -> F-tilt, particularly if you send the opponent off the stage edge. Your leg will reach over the lip but your DA won't, obviously.
I personally use lv. 2, i.e F-tilt, quite a bit. Largely because I play primarily online and with lag it's faster/more reliable. Lag is a major factor with a lot of these combos, particularly if they're tight combos, so online if I can feel the frame delay I will often resort to the simplest.

Here's an example of a level 3 jump in, in real game in practice. https://youtu.be/BkcvBOX5Lz8
I know that B-air is landing really deep, I definitely could have hit him with the F-tilt but I go for the dash attack and pick up more % for my efforts.

I have some vacation coming up (changing jobs) and so I will be producing an update video, with a practical bend to it since I fully realize even many months later it's still a bit unclear.

Last edited:

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
DungeonMaster DungeonMaster , much appreciated. That helps clear it up a bit. And nice video.

However, I still had the unanswered question on what specifically are the level 1, 2, 3, jump-ins (or other starters, for that matter). I just don't see them labeled as such when you go over them in their respective sections of the video.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Ok, so to try and clear up the confusion, there's the section at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUrANmnrXwA#t=2531 which goes over all the details which you may have missed or skipped through.

At https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUrANmnrXwA#t=2581 I detail how these generally follow from 3 layers which are the most closely tied to percentage than anything else.
Level 1: 0-10%
Level 2: 10-20%
Level 3: 20-30%

So I say N-air starter has:
level 1 N-air->D-tilt
level 2 N-air->F-tilt
level 3 N-air->DA

B-air I don't bother with level 1 since turn around D-tilt is very hard (my opinion, cannot be buffered)
level 2 B-air (sour) -> F-tilt
level 3 B-air (sour) -> DA

And so forth for F-air and Up-Air.

Does that help?

Last edited:

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
Ok, so to try and clear up the confusion, there's the section at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUrANmnrXwA#t=2531 which goes over all the details which you may have missed or skipped through.

At https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUrANmnrXwA#t=2581 I detail how these generally follow from 3 layers which are the most closely tied to percentage than anything else.
Level 1: 0-10%
Level 2: 10-20%
Level 3: 20-30%

So I say N-air starter has:
level 1 N-air->D-tilt
level 2 N-air->F-tilt
level 3 N-air->DA

B-air I don't bother with level 1 since turn around D-tilt is very hard (my opinion, cannot be buffered)
level 2 B-air (sour) -> F-tilt
level 3 B-air (sour) -> DA

And so forth for F-air and Up-Air.

Does that help?
Yes that helps.

Trust me, I've watched and re-watched the video (in small portions). In my post above, I did refer to this detailed section regarding the jump-in starters. I understood the part about there being three general layers tied to percentage. Starting with N-air, at 43:13 you state "It follows the progression of D-tilt, F-tilt and finally Dash attack." However, I failed to put the pieces together in my mind to the point where you were actually referring to these at the end of the video, specifically, as the lv. 1, 2, and 3 jump-in starters.

Thanks again! :)

Top Bottom