• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cloud Theory (Thought exercise)

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Please read before you flame. In all honesty I don't believe people will take this thread with any favorable mind. However this is a theory that is believed by a nice group of smash boarders. Whether you don't believe it or if you do please take time to understand I'm not trying force this theory on anyone but rather explain how it could be possible. That way you could understand why people could believe in this theory. Therefore the purpose of this thread isn't to make you believe in this said theory but to make you more open-minded to those who do believe. I ask again for those who read to be curteous in your posts..

Please Note: I do not support the idea that this 100% proven. It is merely a theory and is therefore not concrete proof and is thus subject to opinion. Also please note that I am in no way trying to confirm any character whether it be a SEE boss or a PC. I am only trying to take an differnet approach to an old theory.

By starting this thread I anticipate being Flamed (which seems to be doing me some success sadly). Of course people like to live by their own understanding, such a post like this can easily be grouped with the mess that is The hidden sonic icon theory or the icon theory itself. It's no lie that there have been some pretty stupid rumors that have passed through these boards. However I am going to repose a already established theory and try to prove that it isn't as ubsurd as these other pathetic wastes. Still If you don't agree with this theory I won't mind. Let your own opinion guide you, just please don't be rude and I'll make sure I'll be polite as possible to answer any questions or get involved in a nice debate.

Everyone on Smash boards should know of this theory by now. Apparently Sakurai left us clues in the clouds of this piscture below.

Supposedly we are suppose to see three supposed villains in this pic which would be the subject of The Subspace Emissary.

From left to right you have central villains: Ganondorf, Bowser, and Ridley.

If the central shadow figure (between apparent cloud figure of Ganondorf and Bowser,) is Masterhand is open for debate. Howeve this isn't the point of this thread.

Also this thread isn't just about what the theory states but rather the validity of the said theory as well. Thus if this theory is to hold water it must be purposed by Sakurai himself (or someone in his staff) and what I resolve to explain is why logically he'd perpose such a thing.

The Use of Symbolism

In many different forms of media symbolism can be used to identofy something in order to strengthen or develop the plot. Symbols can be a part of a small picture that only emphsizes the theme or it could be something greater like a character that stetches throughout the story line. If Sakurai had purposed this idea he had to have done it through symbolic meaning. Here's how.

In the the first subspace emmisary video when Mario and Kirby break the rules, the Halberd comes to punish the heroes. Mario turns to see this halberd which is coupled with blood red clouds covering the horizon. Now we all know the Halberd represents evil in this game at least at this moment. We'll say that the red clouds represent the evil forces as well. Now one thing Sakurai is about is equal representation. It's why he's so modest with his series because he doesn't want to seem so arrogant. You'll soon see this come to play.

If you will notice the time these clouds forms the figures of the three, come out about the same time The Halberd comes out of the red clouds. Also they come out in the same way the Halberd does (in the extent that they form out of the clouds and then stretch forward retaining their shape). The image then shifts. In movie development this moment is the rising action, a point that is often used for some literary illusions.

The Subject matter

It should now be more understandable to believe such a thing. Still there is a possibility that it just happened by chance. Well let me make it seem more probable. What is the subject matter in question now?

all three villains are from high selling franchises. They are not Villains one would take lightly like King Dedede or King K. Rool. They certainly fit the symbolic nature of the clouds. Wow, that is sure unprobable if it was just by chance. But there's something more into it.

Look at these nintendo franchises:

Super Mario Bros
Legend of Zelda
Pokemon
Metroid
Kirby

*Bolded franchises have villain reps in the cloud theory

these frnachise are all similar in that they are high priority to Nintendo. You can argue that Donkey Kong is high priority but in honesty it has been declining in popularity recently. Also the Kirby Franchise has actually been increasing in popularity and while it's not as popular as the first three franchises listed, it still has a steady stream of games compared to franchises like Fire Emblem or Starfox. Metroid while unpopular in Japan still has been recieving more priority from Nintendo due to world wide releases.

So what does this have to deal with anything? Look agian and notice that all three villain franchises are from high priority gaming franchises. Also the Halberd can be said to represent Meta-Knight. In the end we are left with Pokemon which when considered has no villains besides team rocket and the other teams (which are high unlikely to be in Brawl). Most people can argue Mewtwo is a villain indeed, but again this is debatable. Mewtwo may very well be in that picture and I have just not recongized it or Sakurai shortened the frame making his figure unnoticable. However I will not claim this because I can't prove it. Therefore I will hold that The PKMN franchise was not represented in these clouds because the lack of Villain. As Satoshi Tajiri (the creator of pokemon) himself has stated, there is not a such thing as a evil pokemon. But even if Mewtwo is considered evil, he still is not a reoccuring villain like the other three.

The Conclusion

The result in believing in said theory can be different to many people. Some will say this proves Ridley and Ganondorf are playable characters. Some will say it just means they are subspace emmisary bosses while the majority will say it's just clouds and anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid. However I am not asking for you to believe in his old theory. Instead this is so that when you see your friend who thinks otherwise you may ot have so much disregard in his opinions as each side has facts to support their opinion. So I'll leave you with this, discuss what you think and be modest to tose who have an opposite opinion. However a nice debate is alays recomended.

Wow.... I don't know how to respond to this.
It kind of reminds me of when some guy saw Chewbacca or the Virgin Mary in their omelet.
If that isn't the case then good call.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Isn't there already a thread for this?

And I still don't see Ganondorf... >_>

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Isn't there already a thread for this?

And I still don't see Ganondorf... >_>
I searched and only found it noticed in already established threads. I felt people dsimissed this theory before they even thought of it. So I decided to take an opposite swing and actually debate on the forwarding side.

Ganondorf has a left side view face. However it seems to look more like his Melee version rather than the Twilight Princess set up (because of the nose I would assume).

ksadkiller

Smash Apprentice
i really wanna believe this cuz im sinterested in this hidden message ****. and i honestly do think he's got a point. i can see bowser clearly, but it's hard to see ganondorf and ridley

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
The human brain sees what it wants to see, even when it isn't really there. This is why we get these "omg I saw the face of Jesus on my burnt toast" stories. You want this cloud theory to be true, so your brain convinces itself that there really are villains there.
*shrug* In the end we will believe what we want to believe. Nothing anyone says (aside from Sakurai himself) will make you change your mind on this, because it's all based on speculation. So all you're really doing is setting yourself up to potentially get flamed. My 2 cents.

*cartwheels out of thread*

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
For someone who reads/writes a lot, you sure have a lot of spelling errors.

Ridley has already been confirmed.
Yeah I know I'm in a rush and well this is a rough draft. I'll fix out spelling errors soon.

Lol i'm the one who made the official cloud theory thread
If you did then please give me a link. Then this thread can be closed.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I still don't see Ganondorf. Telling me which game Ganondorf is from does not help at all. I simply see no form in the left cloud. I can see "Bowser" and "Ridley" (though, I don't see that as proof; those are just well formed clouds that were named Bowser and Ridley).

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731

Mine got closed due to people spamming

Example : Posting a jesus picture in the clouds and acting like it was jesus =P

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=109959
Okay that's cool, (not hat your thread died but you know. I just hope people don't act so stupid in this thread. Most smash boarders are really closed minded and arrogant. Something about the internet can bring the worst out of people.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Proof that people only see what they wanna see:

So, which way is she spinning?

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I still don't see Ganondorf. Telling me which game Ganondorf is from does not help at all. I simply see no form in the left cloud. I can see "Bowser" and "Ridley" (though, I don't see that as proof; those are just well formed clouds that were named Bowser and Ridley).
I can understand if you don't believe it. I'm not asking people to believe but rather to open their minds to do productive smash thinking. Any man can argue for a specific point and anyone can believe whatr they want to believe. The question is are you going to say:

"WTF you suck, I am so right in this area,**** you ***"

or

"I'm sorry but your wrong in this area because....(*proof*)

NG7

Smash Lord
I remember if you watch the video those faces are barely visible and dissappear after a split second.

If it was anything of significance I think Sakurai would've presented it better.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I can understand if you don't believe it. I'm not asking people to believe but rather to open their minds to do productive smash thinking. Any man can argue for a specific point and anyone can believe whatr they want to believe. The question is are you going to say:

or

I can't believe anyone actually believes in this ****. People are so ****ing gullible.
And here's my proof. I may have shown a seemingly irrational post but at least I did it in a calm form with ration sense. This guy may be arguing for a more logical sense but he's making a fool out of himself doing so not showing any logical sense.

Do you now understand what I'm getting at?

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529

Clockwise for me. It depends on which half of the brain you use the most I believe. Though you can concentrate and make her turn the other way. I can't though.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer

or

But you're missing the point. No one has to provide contradictory proof because the clouds do not prove anything! It is like me saying, "The sun will not rise tomorrow. Prove me wrong." Suddenly, the burden is on your shoulders for convincing the world that the sun will rise in the morning. You know what is funny? You would have no proof that I am wrong aside from the fact that the sun has risen for the past billion years. How do you know the sun won't blow up between now and tomorrow?

Honestly... there is nothing in the clouds. Just wait for the game to come out.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731

In my mind she naturally goes to the right. I know this a brain trick because I if I focuse on your avatar she goes the other way. But she moves...it is designed as a brain trick.

I'm not asking to believe she's going the same direction as I believe but only to look and look at the posiblity. Discover the answer for yourself and be happy with it. People get so offended by people with different opinions.

NG7

Smash Lord
There's a thread about the spinning statue in the pool room. Talk about it there.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
this is just ridiculous and absurd

this is such a far stretch from anything that could be considered rational thought i dont even know what to say

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
But you're missing the point. No one has to provide contradictory proof because the clouds do not prove anything! It is like me saying, "The sun will not rise tomorrow. Prove me wrong." Suddenly, the burden is on your shoulders for convincing the world that the sun will rise in the morning. You know what is funny? You would have no proof that I am wrong aside from the fact that the sun has risen for the past billion years. How do you know the sun won't blow up between now and tomorrow?

Honestly... there is nothing in the clouds. Just wait for the game to come out.
And just because you don't see anything doesn't prove anything either so I could apply the smae thing to you. Please don't confuse me as some idiot noob who's trying to stir waves. This site is about Brawl discussion which I am doing. Can you tell me what evil I have done?

this is just ridiculous and absurd

this is such a far stretch from anything that could be considered rational thought i dont even know what to say
I don't see how it is? Seriously you guys are like a bunch of jews who heard Jesus profess he's Christ. It's not like I said Ridley in the clouds=ZOMG Ridley confirmed, never did I say that. I just said I think Sakurai purposally put character images in the clouds for symbolic meaning. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
And just because you don't see anything doesn't prove anything either so I could apply the smae thing to you. Please don't confuse me as some idiot noob who's trying to stir waves. This site is about Brawl discussion which I am doing. Can you tell me what evil I have done?

I don't see how it is? Seriously you guys are like a bunch of jews who heard Jesus profess he's Christ.
You are the one presenting the absurd idea. Here is the point: even if Ganondorf and Ridley both make it into the game, it will have had nothing to do with this cloud theory. This theory has been analyzed to death already, and it has accomplished nothing. Stop trying to call others closed-minded. Maybe you are so closed-minded as to be unable to accept that there just is nothing there to analyze.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
You are the one presenting the absurd idea. Here is the point: even if Ganondorf and Ridley both make it into the game, it will have had nothing to do with this cloud theory. This theory has been analyzed to death already, and it has accomplished nothing. Stop trying to call others closed-minded. Maybe you are so closed-minded as to be unable to accept that there just is nothing there to analyze.
But I never said that the clouds confirmed them. You reading to much into it. I'm saying simply put Sakurai put enemy faces in the clouds for symbolic purposes. That's it. It's happened in multiple games, movies, and other forms of media.... so why not Brawl? Like I said before I'm not doing any ZOMG Ridley confirmed posts, that's illogical and stupid (though I believe he will be a PC).

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
But I never said that the clouds confirmed them. You reading to much into it. I'm saying simply put Sakurai put enemy faces in the clouds for symbolic purposes. That's it. It's happened in multiple games, movies, and other forms of media.... so why not Brawl?
Fine. We're saying he didn't. How do you refute that? You have as much evidence as we do.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i disagree with you, i believe that he put every character into the scales on bowsers hand, i can see them and they are real to me

how dare you try to tell me i'm wrong you closed minded fool

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Fine. We're saying he didn't. How do you refute that? You have as much evidence as we do.
I know I'm not saying you have to believe or that your stupid for not believing. I'm just stating that this theory is not so far fetched as people believe, I won't say that I 100% believe it. I just don't want any bit of smash info to be left to the dust. You never know where you can get the neatest for of info. Do I seem more reasonable now :)

i disagree with you, i believe that he put every character into the scales on bowsers hand, i can see them and they are real to me

how dare you try to tell me i'm wrong you closed minded fool
I never said you were wrong. I said you were being arrogant for being so close-minded. So in essence I'm not the close minded one here (though I guess I can understand why). Not that I mean you insult you because I don't.

Also it is very impolite and unchristian like to call someone a fool.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I know I'm not saying you have to believe or that your stupid for not believing. I'm just stating that this theory is not so far fetched as people believe, I won't say that I 100% believe it. I just don't want any bit of smash info to be left to the dust. You never know where you can get the neatest for of info. Do I seem more reasonable now :)
I 100% guarantee you that once Brawl is released, no one will care one bit. You may quote me on that.

Top Bottom