• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ChunSoft Thread: Zero Escape Series & Banshee's Last Cry

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
What the stuff? Why is most of the posts blacked out on my phone? Specifically where you talk about the endings. I've been through 4 and although this game is awesome, I'm. Starting to get frustrated. HELP!
Do you have a preview unlocked? Those help you find the path you should take to finish the game.

:069:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
It's entirely possible that he doesn't. I did 4 runthroughs without managing to hit a preview. T-T

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
I'll be honest, I never used or even thought previews can be used to get the other endings. lol

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
You didn't see the door numbers in the videos? xD

Safe tells you how to get true.

Coffin tells you how to get Safe.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I just got the True Ending today. I would've finished it earlier, but homework and an upcoming test had me swamped.
I loved 999. I have to say, it's one of my favorite visual novels. The writing was great.

My first ending was the Sub ending, then I got Axe, Knife, Safe, then Coffin/True.

On my first time through I was suspicious of
Snake being the killer. Then as it went on, I began to suspect Ace on my next playthrough.
But the story threw twist after twist, so that was really nice.

Out of all the characters, my favorite's probably Clover and then Snake.
I was saddened at the Axe ending.

Also, it seems like Clover was the most popular character in 999 for Japan, and Snake was for the US.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
There is also a Spoiler-Free FAQ that tells you exactly how to get certain endings on GameFAQs. Keep in mind that going through door combinations is not enough to get Safe and True. There are specific dialogue choices you have to make as well as certain things you have to investigate.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
So I beat the game and got the true ending.

So ****ing awesome. Like the ending was entirely mind blowing. But I'm a bit confused. And I have many questions about the true ending below.

So apparently June/Akane is Zero. And apparently throughout the entire True Ending version Akane (from 9 years ago) was transmitting information to me (Junpei) through the field?

However, 9 years ago Akane died, right? So how is it that Santa was able to help setup the new Nonary game with Akane if she was dead? How is Akane even alive? And where the **** did she disappear to when she was in the incenerator?

Speaking of which, on the first ending, wtf was that all about? Was June having all of these fever's because she was dying? aka since Clover and Snake didn't survive there was no way to... save Akane? And what was Santa's role in the first game? He had something like, "Actually, it is I who have lost." Does that mean that Santa was attempting to help save Akane and it was a failure?

Or did it have something to do with my true ending playthrough connecting with the first playthrough? That's where I got all my information. I remember them talking about how two people can take two paths and that certain people were able to see information from both paths and access that information.

Finally, what the hell is up with that "R.F." symbol on the back of the bloody wall where the fake-Snake blew up? I didn't get all the endings yet, but I'm surprised that has been overlooked so many times.

Man this game was so awesome. I couldn't believe how things ended up. So amazingly epic.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
So I beat the game and got the true ending.

So ****ing awesome. Like the ending was entirely mind blowing. But I'm a bit confused. And I have many questions about the true ending below.

So apparently June/Akane is Zero. And apparently throughout the entire True Ending version Akane (from 9 years ago) was transmitting information to me (Junpei) through the field?

However, 9 years ago Akane died, right? So how is it that Santa was able to help setup the new Nonary game with Akane if she was dead? How is Akane even alive? And where the **** did she disappear to when she was in the incenerator?

Speaking of which, on the first ending, wtf was that all about? Was June having all of these fever's because she was dying? aka since Clover and Snake didn't survive there was no way to... save Akane? And what was Santa's role in the first game? He had something like, "Actually, it is I who have lost." Does that mean that Santa was attempting to help save Akane and it was a failure?

Or did it have something to do with my true ending playthrough connecting with the first playthrough? That's where I got all my information. I remember them talking about how two people can take two paths and that certain people were able to see information from both paths and access that information.

Finally, what the hell is up with that "R.F." symbol on the back of the bloody wall where the fake-Snake blew up? I didn't get all the endings yet, but I'm surprised that has been overlooked so many times.

Man this game was so awesome. I couldn't believe how things ended up. So amazingly epic.
1. Basically, but she couldn't have transmitted any information she didn't already know about. You see, each ending played a part in the story. June had the ability to foresee specific events. Each ending was a foresight. This explains why you need to get certain endings in order to get True, because June is gathering information from each ending to give to Junpei to try to get him to save her past self.

1b. You could say that the only "live" ending was the True one, and that the others were just possibilities that June foresaw. The things that Junpei knew in the True ending couldn't possibly have been known without June's entity telling him, and the only way she could have known is by looking into the future of each possibility.

2. The part about Akane being with them in the game wasn't elaborated on, but the characters had reason to believe that "Alice" played a part in the game as well, in other words, Alice was used as a vessel for June's spirit. (This is theorized in the very last second of the ending sequence.)

2b. And about the incinerator (in the bad past), she was incinerated into ash. She was still there. And apparently, Santa was able to be contacted by June's "spirit". There is no way other Santa could have known he could save her.

3. The fevers "June" were having was actually Alice's negative effects to being possessed by June's spirit. (Theory)

4. Actually, the person who said "I have lost" was June herself. She meant that she was unable to get Junpei to get to the part where he must save her. Santa's role in the first game wasn't any different from him being a subject.

5. You mean the L.R? It's apart of the Door 3 puzzle which brings you down the Knife Ending path. Getting all endings give different information needed to understand the entire story.

This should clear everything up. :D

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah
She never really died. It was just a possibility that she saw where she could've died.
She lived, and she had to set up this game to make sure to save herself in the past.

And I'm guessing Akane just walked out of the incinerator room.
IMO, the fever reflected
Akane being in the incinerator 9 years ago. She ended up disappearing because Junpei never made it to the incinerator room's puzzle in the safe ending.
And the person who said "Actually, it is I who have lost" is Akane.

It didn't say R.F. But don't worry about it, it's just a puzzle that's part of that room if you chose it.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Actually, it's a shame that you didn't go down Door 3 before getting the True ending, Omni. It provided some really nice backstory that went along what was said in the True ending.

Anyways, Heartz, there are a few points I disagree on with you.

I don't believe Akane ever died in the incinerator. No, let me rephrase that. The fact that Akane would die in the incinerator or not would be determined by the second Nonary game. For nine years Akane lived at the crossroads of existence and nonexistence. If she failed to get Junpei into the incinerator and connect with her past self through the morphogenetic field then a time paradox would happen and she'd simply cease to exist, which is why she disappeared during the Safe ending (incidentally, I'm sure that the one who said the "I lost..." line was Santa, because he failed his mission to keep Akane from disappearing).

I really think Allice being shown at the end was simply put there to get people speculating as to why she's there. I don't think she has any bearing on the plot, though. The fevers that June got only happened when Junpei strayed from the True path, because Akane knew that going down those paths would eventually lead to her demise.

Oh, and Door 3 leads to the Sub ending, not Knife. =P

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Actually, it's a shame that you didn't go down Door 3 before getting the True ending, Omni. It provided some really nice backstory that went along what was said in the True ending.

Anyways, Heartz, there are a few points I disagree on with you.

I don't believe Akane ever died in the incinerator. No, let me rephrase that. The fact that Akane would die in the incinerator or not would be determined by the second Nonary game. For nine years Akane lived at the crossroads of existence and nonexistence. If she failed to get Junpei into the incinerator and connect with her past self through the morphogenetic field then a time paradox would happen and she'd simply cease to exist, which is why she disappeared during the Safe ending (incidentally, I'm sure that the one who said the "I lost..." line was Santa, because he failed his mission to keep Akane from disappearing).

I really think Allice being shown at the end was simply put there to get people speculating as to why she's there. I don't think she has any bearing on the plot, though. The fevers that June got only happened when Junpei strayed from the True path, because Akane knew that going down those paths would eventually lead to her demise.

Oh, and Door 3 leads to the Sub ending, not Knife. =P

I guess that's a bit more valid. In fact, it makes a lot more sense that what I just said. lol. And I meant Submarine ending. The thought of getting stabbed with a knife left an impression on me. Simple mistake.

****. I need to work on my observations.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
(incidentally, I'm sure that the one who said the "I lost..." line was Santa, because he failed his mission to keep Akane from disappearing).
Hm, you're right. It makes more sense that way.
I think whoever said that, said it on the top screen.
And Akane has already disappeared since Junpei didn't make it in time, so it had to have been Santa.

Omni

BRoomer
Yeah because Santa did disappear randomly while Junpei was in the room. And then you see the door close and that's when you hear the voice. I'm sure if it was Akana speaking that ... well hm...

It could have been the Akane from 9 years ago talking to Junpei, but I'm pretty sure it was Santa. Santa's entire mission was to get Junpei to save Akane.

My thing is... why didn't they show Akane or Santa after that whole ordeal after they got out of the Nevada building? They explained that there were tire tracks and that they were catching up with Akana and Santa, but why would Akane and Santa just... up and leave and not make their final appearance. Why isn't Akane jumping into the arms of Junpei after the whole ordeal is over? Is it because the Akane we all knew based on the story was a lie, and that by Junpei meeting Akane again she would actually be in her Zero form? Hmm.

@About Akane dying in the incinerator: She had to have died. Seven said he saw it. When they went into the room Santa was yelling. And in the present time Snake and Clover talked about a girl name Akane who died 9 years ago. That's four people who confirmed Akane's death.

So I still can't understand how Akane was alive, or why she had a figure at all. And if she had a figure then that means she never died. I mean, wtf, someone has really gotta explain this to me again 'cuz I'm not getting it.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
@About Akane dying in the incinerator: She had to have died. Seven said he saw it. When they went into the room Santa was yelling. And in the present time Snake and Clover talked about a girl name Akane who died 9 years ago. That's four people who confirmed Akane's death.
Well, not necessarily.
At the ending, they hinted that Seven was in it all along. Junpei saw a smirk or something on his face, so Seven knew more that he was letting on. Seven's amnesia may have been caused by Akane from the past, so he could have truly thought he remembered Akane dying until all of his memories came back after the Sudoku puzzle. I'm thinking that Akane's ability affected Seven's amnesia which explains why he thought the girl died before Junpei had solved the puzzle.

I wouldn't find it surprising if Akane in the past (after being saved) had told Seven, Snake, and Santa about 9 years later, and told them to keep it a secret. Clover was in Building Q, so she didn't know the truth about Akane. Like before, Snake probably didn't tell Clover that Akane was still alive because Clover would've told Junpei like she did with other things.

Omni

BRoomer
So are you saying that when Seven "got his memories back" and told Junpei and Clover about the story of Akane dying that it was a lie?

And Seven hiding the fact that Akane was alive was a lie?

Because... think about it...

If those were all lies and Akana was really alive, then why the hell would they have to go through this Nonary Game to "save" her? ...

OHHHHHH WAIT A MINUTE... I think I get it.

Akane was alive. She survived. And she did break through the field and she did talk to Junpei 9 years ago. However, in order for Akane to be able to talk to Junpei, Akane had to put Junpei in the Nonary Game. And since Akane knew the truth about the men she became Zero to also exact her revenge on them.

Snake knew.
Santa knew.
Seven lied about his amnesia probably.
Lotus didn't know ****.
Clover didn't know ****.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
So I still can't understand how Akane was alive, or why she had a figure at all. And if she had a figure then that means she never died. I mean, wtf, someone has really gotta explain this to me again 'cuz I'm not getting it.
That's just the way the story is. It takes a turn onto the supernatural side of things, which is why it gets confusing all of a sudden during the True Ending. Really, it's just the exaggeration of morphogenetic fields that makes the impossible happen.

Poltergust explained it the best way.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Akane was alive. She survived. And she did break through the field and she did talk to Junpei 9 years ago. However, in order for Akane to be able to talk to Junpei, Akane had to put Junpei in the Nonary Game. And since Akane knew the truth about the men she became Zero to also exact her revenge on them.
Yeah,
I think if Junpei knew about all this at that time, the Nonary Game wouldn't have worked since he wouldn't be nearly at the same stressed environment morphogenic field to work.
Snake knew.
Santa knew.
Seven lied about his amnesia probably.
Lotus didn't know ****.
Clover didn't know ****.
I don't think Seven lied about his amnesia, but it could be true.
It really did sound like he was remembering things if you went through door 3.

But everyone else seem to have lied, so I guess Seven lying about his amnesia is believable.

I'm also confused at one part near the beginning of the game. I wonder
who was doing the voice of Zero. I thought it was a tape recording at first, but didn't Zero actually reply and answer at that time while the 9 were in that room?

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
I'm also confused at one part near the beginning of the game. I wonder
who was doing the voice of Zero. I thought it was a tape recording at first, but didn't Zero actually reply and answer at that time while the 9 were in that room?
[/COLOR]
[/FONT]
Technically, the Zero voice never actually replied to anyone. It may have been preset in case someone asked what was going on, so it was simply a generic answer.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I took a look at the script, and you're totally right, Heartz. Zero never answered anyone.

Guess I remembered wrong.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Actually, Zero did make a response.

Ace (or Lion :laugh:): What do you mean to do to us?!
Zero: I mean too have you participate in a game.

I dunno, that answer seems to specific for it to be a generic voice recording. You know what I think the answer to this is?

Morphogenetic fields! Akane must have seen this scenario played out and recorded it to time with the responses of the others.

By the way, I don't believe either Seven or Snake were in on anything. Minato already explained my reasoning for Seven, but I don't have much other proof for Snake other than him not willing to risk putting Clover in danger. I know he's blind and all, but it's hard to believe that he didn't notice Akane surviving the game.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Ah, screw it. I'll leave the analysis to you guys. I'm captivated in Ghost Trick right now, so my mindset is a little shifted. :ohwell:

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
got 999! :D
If not just me, does anyone think that the red/blue numbers in the suitcases in the first level are too broad?
I'm still stuck, not willing to use a FAQ.
Anyone got hints? >.<

Minato

穏やかじゃない
got 999! :D
If not just me, does anyone think that the red/blue numbers in the suitcases in the first level are too broad?
I'm still stuck, not willing to use a FAQ.
Anyone got hints? >.<
Did you get 3 of the items that are necessary to solve it? You should have a photo that's pretty much a decoder which has shapes and numbers. Then there are two pieces of papers with only shapes on it.

And if you do and you're still stuck:
Each paper has half of a code. So look at only the red shapes for the code for the red briefcase and vice versa for the blue.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Whenever people ask me about 999, I just tell them that it's an extremely emotional game of sudoku.

Finished and loved it. It's funny, between this game and Ever17, you'd think Kotaro Uchikoshi nearly drowned as a child.

A similarity I found between the two games is
how it almost breaks down a 4th wall, but not really, by justifying all the playthroughs you do just to get a true ending. In both this and Ever17, strong themes revolve around infinity and different paths, etc.
So you feel compelled to finish it repeatedly.

I've got all the endings,
Man Clover. MAAAAAN.

It's been helpful reading everything here about the ending to help understand some of it. Well actually, just the wtf ALL-ICE final scene.

I did it all by myself. And I'm glad I did
because otherwise I may have spoiled the first ending where Ace turns into a madman.

Oh, also the wikipedia entry probably explains things the best storywise.
Though it does lack anything regarding the ALL-ICE appearance at the end. lol.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Whenever people ask me about 999, I just tell them that it's an extremely emotional game of sudoku.

Finished and loved it. It's funny, between this game and Ever17, you'd think Kotaro Uchikoshi nearly drowned as a child.

A similarity I found between the two games is
how it almost breaks down a 4th wall, but not really, by justifying all the playthroughs you do just to get a true ending. In both this and Ever17, strong themes revolve around infinity and different paths, etc.
So you feel compelled to finish it repeatedly.

I've got all the endings,
Man Clover. MAAAAAN.

It's been helpful reading everything here about the ending to help understand some of it. Well actually, just the wtf ALL-ICE final scene.

I did it all by myself. And I'm glad I did
because otherwise I may have spoiled the first ending where Ace turns into a madman.

Oh, also the wikipedia entry probably explains things the best storywise.
Though it does lack anything regarding the ALL-ICE appearance at the end. lol.

Alice's appearance was meant to be a wtf. It's just something to leave the player with. lol

M.K

Level 55
Late to the party, I know, but I just finished MY first ending after starting the game a couple days ago.

I got the
Bad
End.
(this shouldn't really be spoilers for anyone thats completed the game, mainly for people who haven't played it AT all)
I don't really understand what I did wrong...I tried to save the most people possible. I mainly wanted to save Santa and Lotus, because I built up a "trust" with them. After Snake was murdered, I don't really understand the problem. Is the initial problem going into the boiler room with Santa/Ace/June? Because like...after that, I basically had no choice but to proceed to Bad End

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Late to the party, I know, but I just finished MY first ending after starting the game a couple days ago.

I got the
Bad
End.
(this shouldn't really be spoilers for anyone thats completed the game, mainly for people who haven't played it AT all)
I don't really understand what I did wrong...I tried to save the most people possible. I mainly wanted to save Santa and Lotus, because I built up a "trust" with them. After Snake was murdered, I don't really understand the problem. Is the initial problem going into the boiler room with Santa/Ace/June? Because like...after that, I basically had no choice but to proceed to Bad End
The Ending you get is determined by the doors you go through and the stories you listen to from other characters. Trying to save one or two people will not end well. lol

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Trying to keep this spoiler free:

Snake disappearing happens no matter what.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
See, that was where I was trying to avoid the spoiler. :urg:

One of my most hype moments was finding a way to save Snake. That made the game so much better for me.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
This one was on my backlog ever since it came out and seeing how much Poltergust and Lythium liked it, I played through it over the last couple of days. Definitely a contender for the best DS game, IMO. I still have Ever17 on my external HD somewhere, should give that a try when I have more spare time.

The gameplay wasn't this game's focus, but escaping the rooms was usually fun and not hard/convoluted to the point where you could genuinely get stuck for missing something lame, which is a problem in many adventure games. I think a major contributor to this is the fact that all rooms stand on their own and are limited in how much there is to examine, as well as getting hints if you mess up.

The first ending I got was the Submarine ending. Maybe I shouldn't have forced myself into door 3, but I just had a feeling straying from the beaten path would lead me to Snake or at least his corpse. For a while I thought Snake faked his death and was actually Zero to get revenge for 9 years ago, but him being the culprit would have been too obvious. I also never quite trusted Ace because he just has a villain air about him and I knew something was funny about Akane. Santa I didn't really suspect though until I got more information. But yeah, it ended up being a lot more complicated than a simple whodunnit and I didn't expect the game to last this long. The first playthrough was only like 3-4 hours, but especially the True and Safe endings added so much content. I got the bad endings first by the way and my last two playthroughs were the Safe and True ending. After my first two playthroughs I looked at a flowchart to get through the right rooms, because not being able to skip text (even if you can fast forward it) and puzzles makes it somewhat annoying. That's really the game's only flaw in my book.

The game's writing was excellent. It really kept me hooked and throughout the various playthroughs there always was another twist or piece of information coming (although the game didn't really need THREE bad endings). Junpei's though processes were fairly quick and because they were clever about connecting the playthroughs you didn't have to read through him figuring out stuff you already knew too much. The story itself was quite interesting, although the True ending made things somewhat confusing to the point where I had to think a little to make sense of it. If it had been any more convoluted, it would probably have been too vague to understand without a lot of speculation.

The way I understood it, Akane survived the incinerator puzzle by contacting Junpei in the future, but had to ensure in turn that he would be at the right place at the right time to save herself in the past. Her being sick was probably a result of getting close to the point where her existence was on the line. I don't think she was responsible for any of the killings in the bad endings, although I honestly didn't put too much thought into them (it's probably always either Clover or Ace). Seven at some point either lied or realized what had happened, but I don't think he was part of the Zero team. I think the Alice hitchhiker at the end was just a joke. Like Omni, I do think it's kind of strange that there's no closure on Akane and Santa, but that they chase after them instead.

Great game, 9/10.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
The first ending I got was the Submarine ending. Maybe I shouldn't have forced myself into door 3, but I just had a feeling straying from the beaten path would lead me to Snake or at least his corpse. For a while I thought Snake faked his death and was actually Zero to get revenge for 9 years ago, but him being the culprit would have been too obvious. I also never quite trusted Ace because he just has a villain air about him and I knew something was funny about Akane. Santa I didn't really suspect though until I got more information. But yeah, it ended up being a lot more complicated than a simple whodunnit and I didn't expect the game to last this long. The first playthrough was only like 3-4 hours, but especially the True and Safe endings added so much content. I got the bad endings first by the way and my last two playthroughs were the Safe and True ending. After my first two playthroughs I looked at a flowchart to get through the right rooms, because not being able to skip text (even if you can fast forward it) and puzzles makes it somewhat annoying. That's really the game's only flaw in my book.
Wow, everything you said here either happened to me, or was what I had thought when I had played through the game. From thinking who was the culprit, from which ending I got first, and even looking at a guide after two endings due to not being able to skip text. lol
Only difference was that I did it after 3 playthroughs since I got the same ending twice one time.

I didn't like how the game wouldn't let you skip text from things you've already examined until you get an ending.
That made things annoying when trying to examine for clues and you end up reading the same description.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Sorry for the double post, but I think it should be fine since I'm bumping the topic on new news.
On the official website, I noticed that they have their Answers section up. I don't know how long it's been up there though, so it could be a little old.
For anyone who hasn't beaten the game, obviously don't click it.

It clears up a lot of questions and even goes into small tidbits that players wouldn't catch.

http://www.aksysgames.com/999/answers

Seems like I was right about a lot of the things that had happened in the story that people were confused about.
I even said how Seven's mind was probably altered and Snake knowing the truth about Akane's "death" XD

I don't know how I'd feel about a sequel though if they do make one. There's more they can tell, but the entire premise of 999 was cool since it felt kind of new. So doing that in another game won't make it feel as exciting.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Wow. That clears up so much.

Yet, I have a feeling I'm gonna wake up in a Nonary Game. I could swear the birthday registration tracked my IP address.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I found that Q/A a little while ago, but I think I would've been happier if he didn't go into 'what ifs'.

(wtfamIreading?)

But that's just me I suppose. Doesn't really damper such an awesome game.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Finally got an ending :D
got the knife one. it was kinda hard to follow if the dialogue was talking about Zero though. But at least I have the fast forward funciton now

EDIT: Checked the site out already. Anyone know what that "fankit" thing is? It directs me to sendspace.com :o

Top Bottom