• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Chat Waker - Toon Link social

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
So I have a huge tourney tomorrow. I usually don't go to tournies on Saturdays, but this one is getting like 200+ people for Smash 4 and is less than 20 minutes from my house, so I'm making an exception. Hoping I make it out of pools, which doesn't seem terribly unlikely since top 4 make it out (there's 9 or 10 people per pool), but MVD (top Florida player) and another player I've had trouble with are in my pool.

It's not a derogatory term lmao. If it were we wouldn't call our main that, otherwise we probably wouldn't be maining a character we like to call bad names.

Diddy's uair can still kill, just not as easily, but unfortunately our dsmash can't really kill anymore. It wouldn't have been so bad if we got some kind of buff to make up for the huge nerfs to dsmash (dsmash also now has a sourspot and has much less knockback on the second hit), but it really was such a lazy way of patching our dsmash gimp. And since we still haven't gotten our z bomb drop back, at this point I don't think there's any chance at all that we'll ever get it back. It really is too bad, and even zairing while keeping the bomb would be better than what we have now since at least we would have another offensive option while holding a bomb without being forced into airdodge landing lag. As it is right now, there's very little reason to press z while holding a bomb. I'd love to be proven wrong on that though, since it would be fantastic if we could find any benefit to this zair z drop thing.
Yea I can't go to any tournaments so I just play with my friends on 3ds most days and either melee project m or wii u once a week, half of my friends are better than me and the others I'm on par when its 3ds, wii u, or proj m, melee I get recketd because I can't practice at home because of my controller not being very accurate

If tink were called something that's offensive like sh** link or something of the sort we wouldn't be calling him that. And in this day and age I doubt people see gay as an offensive term, except for like little kids who don't know, or immature people

And diddy got nerfed to the ground he only needed up air KB reduced even the supposed tier list of events hub he when from top 3 to #18-20

And tink lost a good tool with d smash and we really need a use for Zair the best use I see is in 2 vs 2

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
If tink were called something that's offensive like sh** link or something of the sort we wouldn't be calling him that. And in this day and age I doubt people see gay as an offensive term, except for like little kids who don't know, or immature people
I could say a lot but I'll keep it short.

I disagree. If the links had started calling Toon Link "**** link" in brawl, I could reasonably see the Toon Link's adopting that nick name for the similar reasons they adopted the gay moniker. In fact, at one point, one Marth user, Steel2nd at the time, used to come in and say Toon Link was "garbage tier" and a few Toon links followed suit, myself included, despite not actually believing him to be bad.

Speaking as someone who, as a job for the last few years, interacted with and assisted in bringing together diverse communities in an effort to create a larger inclusive community, where diversity not only refers to racial background, but social, political, economic, cultural, and sexual orientation among others, I can say with absolute certainty that people, adults, in this day and age still do find the term offensive. Adults who are neither little kids nor immature.

I'll leave you with a new word, microaggresion, and it's definition:
Microagression: A form of unintended discrimination. It is depicted by the use of known social norms of behavior and/or expression that, while without conscious choice of the user, has the same effect as conscious, intended discrimination.
I urge you to look further into that topic on your own time.

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
I could say a lot but I'll keep it short.

I disagree. If the links had started calling Toon Link "**** link" in brawl, I could reasonably see the Toon Link's adopting that nick name for the similar reasons they adopted the gay moniker. In fact, at one point, one Marth user, Steel2nd at the time, used to come in and say Toon Link was "garbage tier" and a few Toon links followed suit, myself included, despite not actually believing him to be bad.

Speaking as someone who, as a job for the last few years, interacted with and assisted in bringing together diverse communities in an effort to create a larger inclusive community, where diversity not only refers to racial background, but social, political, economic, cultural, and sexual orientation among others, I can say with absolute certainty that people, adults, in this day and age still do find the term offensive. Adults who are neither little kids nor immature.

I'll leave you with a new word, microaggresion, and it's definition:

I urge you to look further into that topic on your own time.
Well in the end it doesn't matter that we call toon link gay since we aren't really need to be serious on the social threads

I don't real care much for what religion, race, or social group I'll respect or be kind as long the other person is kind or respectful

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
It's a case by case basis, if someone says they find it offensive I'm sure anyone saying it would stop. I'm just happier knowing Link players are super salty.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Essentially, you and Artemis are going to continue to defend yourselves without regard to reason so this post will be my last on the subject. If you called Toon Link n*****, regardless of intention, regardless of how serious you were, regardless of if it was said in a social thread, a skype chat, or a serious discussion, regardless of any factors you could conceive of, I'd still be offended. Nothing you could say could justify the use of that word in that context.

inb4wewouldnevercallhimthat. Both terms are similarly discriminatory towards a group of people, just different groups.

It's a case by case basis, if someone says they find it offensive I'm sure anyone saying it would stop. I'm just happier knowing Link players are super salty.
My initial point was that passing the buck to the Link boards if someone was offended was inappropriate. The counter argument was essentially, "the term isn't derogatory [so people shouldn't be offended.]" and, "it's a social thread so [we shouldn't worry about the possibility of offending someone].". I'm not arguing against use of the word but rather, I want everyone who refers to Toon Link as "gay", to own up to it if someone is offended. My point was buried under the need to defend themselves.

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
Essentially, you and Artemis are going to continue to defend yourselves without regard to reason so this post will be my last on the subject. If you called Toon Link n*****, regardless of intention, regardless of how serious you were, regardless of if it was said in a social thread, a skype chat, or a serious discussion, regardless of any factors you could conceive of, I'd still be offended. Nothing you could say could justify the use of that word in that context.

inb4wewouldnevercallhimthat. Both terms are similarly discriminatory towards a group of people, just different groups.

My initial point was that passing the buck to the Link boards if someone was offended was inappropriate. The counter argument was essentially, "the term isn't derogatory [so people shouldn't be offended.]" and, "it's a social thread so [we shouldn't worry about the possibility of offending someone].". I'm not arguing against use of the word but rather, I want everyone who refers to Toon Link as "gay", to own up to it if someone is offended. My point was buried under the need to defend themselves.
we can't/shouldn't use words like ni**** since that word and several others were originally meant to be offensive while words like gay have double meaning, happy or homosexual it depends on if someone from that group of people think we mean it in the second manner in a rude way then we should stop but I see what you mean we shouldn't be using it in the first place but it depends on everyones point of view not just one persons byt if someone feels offended we should stop right away

Edit: just saw right now I put can instead of can't at the beginning

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So Sandstorm this weekend was amazing. I didn't make it out of pools like I had hoped, but on the bright side there were a ton of other Gay mains there. There was one time where I was walking between three TVs then looked around me and noticed a Gay playing on evwry set-up. The amount of fabulousness there was pretty intense.
I keep on forgetting to mention this, someone posted this on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CrazyHand/comments/31k2ir/toon_link_can_catch_his_bombs_right_after_a/
I wonder if the lag from picking up the bomb is relatively the same as airdodge -> zair lag, though.
*sigh* I'll post it in the AT thread.
Holy ****, nice find. Airdodge>zair lag is like 22 frames iirc, so that zair trick definitely involves less lag.
@powerpaul95 Welcome to Smash Boards and the Gay board!
And diddy got nerfed to the ground he only needed up air KB reduced even the supposed tier list of events hub he when from top 3 to #18-20

And tink lost a good tool with d smash and we really need a use for Zair the best use I see is in 2 vs 2
Eventhubs is lol though. Their tier list is a huge joke. Diddy is still insanely good, just not OP anymore. And you mean zair with a bomb, right? Zair with a bomb does seem pretty useless, but zair itself is an entirely different story. :p

@ Disfunkshunal Disfunkshunal , you're talking like 'gay' is an offensive word when it's not. It's no more offensive than the words 'straight', 'white', 'black', etc. regardless of what Tumblr users who are 'triggered' (lol) by everything think.
'Speaking as someone who, as a job for the last few years, interacted with and assisted in bringing together diverse communities in an effort to create a larger inclusive community, where diversity not only refers to racial background, but social, political, economic, cultural, and sexual orientation among others, I can say with absolute certainty that people, adults, in this day and age still do find the term offensive.'
As long as you aren't part of those groups, stop trying to speak for people on what they're supposed to be offended by. Coming from someone who's part of a ton of minority groups (which I only refer to vaguely to avoid discussions/attention that always result; minorities are people too yet the second anyone finds out about it they don't leave you alone, really annoying), people treat us like fragile pieces of glass that will break at anything that doesn't involve treating us like royalty. Most of us aren't like that at all and it drives us crazy, and the ones that are like that often admit to having issues that would cause them to be irrationally hypersensitive. They don't speak for their minority group(s) at all, and the fact that people think they do only ends up making things worse for the sane people in said group(s) because it makes them ashamed and embarrassed about being who they are. I get that you care and that's great, but attitudes like that don't help anyone.

Anyway, this is a social thread meant for silly discussions, not the debate forum, so this is getting kind of off-topic. What kind of things has everyone been practising in Smash lately? Personally I've been practising IZAC (getting the z bomb drop a good chunk of the time now, which is awesome and hopefully means it won't be too much longer before I'll be able to IZAC) and b reverse boomerang gliding. I've also been trying to find uses for zair with a bomb then regrabbing the bomb, and next and am going to try to learn to wavebounce with arrows. Particularly the fire arrows since wavebouncing seems like it could be super useful with them. What about you guys?

Last edited by a moderator:

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
incrediblej said that the only people who get offended by such terms are the immature and the young. Citing that I know of people who fit into neither of those categories that continue to find the terms offensive does not mean that I'm speaking for the group, it means exactly what I wrote. I apologize if it wasn't laid out simply enough for you as it seems you continuously miss my point. To make it explicitly clear, over the past few years, I have worked with groups of people, both majority and minority groups, with the interest in creating communities which not only make note of differences between people, but celebrates them as well as using them to increase the importance of the similarities between them. Within discussions and activities between the groups, issues related to identity often come up and are talked about. Among the terms that sometimes strike a nerve, is "gay". Gay, in recent times, has been used with a negative connotation. It has been used to mean stupid, uncool, and feminine among many other insults. Though the term has been losing traction compared twenty years ago, it still remains a pejorative term for some. Can you tell me of a time where "straight" was used as a widespread insult? Looking at your other terms, if they're used to describe a member of the group they represent, then I agree, nothing's is wrong but that's not always the case. Should a black person that's told he's "acting white" be unoffended? What about a white person that's "trying to be black"? You could argue that that's different than this but let's look at how this topic began, I mean the very beginning. Dissatisfied with Toon Link's performance in comparison to Link's, members of the Link boards began calling Toon Link gay. It's possible they meant he seemed happy but that it's very unlikely and you've supported the opposite idea previously. What does this mean? It means that the Links most likely used the term as an insult. Now, generally, the members of this board were unaffected by the insult which is affecting your ability to see my point, well that and your need to abstain from blame. Incrediblej was likely in a similar boat, given his point of reference, no one had said they were offended yet. What I'm saying is that that doesn't mean that no people will be offended, and further that people who are offended aren't at fault. The latter came in to play when Incrediblej said that only the immature or young were offended, essentially saying that anyone who was offended needs to grow up. This is an insensitive and inappropriate stance because for some people, the history of the word is deeply imbued in it or the word may serve as a trigger for painful memories for some. I'm not sure if Tumblr has desensitized you or if you're just ignorant but regardless, your stance is an unjust one.

No where in my post or my past posts have I said, "Don't use gay because it will offend homosexuals". If you think I'm representing the group then you need to go back over my posts and read more thoroughly. Instead, what I am saying and what I have been saying is, "If you use gay and someone gets offended, because there are people that would get offended, then admit that you're in the wrong. Don't say 'but the links are doing it.' or 'but the links started it.' To pass blame like that is dishonest and dishonorable. If you still don't understand, there's nothing much I can do for you except re-refer you to microagression theory. If you do decide to read up on it, go slowly, I wouldn't want you to misinterpret that too.

EDIT: Something I just realized, you get on me for speaking for minority groups I'm not a part of, even though I wasn't, you actually are speaking for minority groups you aren't a part of. I mean you're a part of some, sure, but you refer to minority groups as a whole with "us". Of course, you could say you aren't talking about the groups you're not a part of but then that makes your whole thing completely irrelevant unless you identify as gay. :laugh:.

Finally, if it makes you feel any better, I'm also a member of a number of minorities. Notice I didn't speak for any of them. Even when I said if you called Toon Link n****, I said only I would be offended, not all black people.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
(big sigh...)
I should probably say something I guess.

There is a very interesting discussion to be had here. Unfortunately it is being overlooked due to the odd personal attack being thrown in, because 'arguments'. I would very much appreciate it if this would stop.

Anyone who intends to reply to this discussion will be in a very tough position. They will have to refrain from even the slightest hint at the other's abilities, intelligence, authority or experience etc, and at the same time they will be forced to ignore any such stabs that were aimed at them. And I really do mean the slightest hint. Address the points, not the person. If at any point you feel that you are repeating yourself, this is a sign that you should not post, either because you have not addressed the other side's points or because your side has not been addressed yet; either way, there is no need to repeat yourself.
If you think that you personally are not guilty of doing any of these things, then you will certainly not feel the need to defend yourself against what I have just said.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Unfortunately, between school and life, I haven't had a ton of time to practice. When I do during the week, it's generally 30-45 minute sessions and I prefer to spend those playing online rather than practicing techniques since my time is so limited. Friday evenings, I run a smash club at my school and since we regularly draw in 12-20 people, no one person can stay on any station for too long so I tend to not try to implement new strategies because I don't want to lose and have to give up my chair :laugh". Over the summer, I'll have much fewer responsibilities though and will be able to practice more.

If I had to smash to jazz song, one of my favorites right now is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qveoKayRY4Q. It's down tempo but for some reason that works for me.

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
Eventhubs is lol though. Their tier list is a huge joke. Diddy is still insanely good, just not OP anymore.
I know events hub is a joke the way they do their rating is a joke I don't know why events hub put it up since it causes over hype because not everyone understands how some are made
I think the events hub tier list is part of the reason for FG scrubs and Izawmbies(no I don't mean all viewers subscribers etc. of Izaw) for thinking link is top 10 because they most likely don't know how they do the tier list on there
btw is there a smash 4 backroom

On another note I've been trying to perfect pivot do any you have uses for perfect pivot, or just pivoting at all

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know events hub is a joke the way they do their rating is a joke I don't know why events hub put it up since it causes over hype because not everyone understands how some are made

btw is there a smash 4 backroom

On another note I've been trying to perfect pivot do any you have uses for perfect pivot, or just pivoting at all
I don't think there is a Smash 4 backroom yet. There probably won't be one until after Evo.
Hey Tink mains, whats up? :)
Well upb is good for recovering back to the stage, and up+a can make you do cool things like utilt, usmash, and uair. Unless you mean with the default controls, in which case up = jump. :p
In all seriousness, not much for me other than the usual. All I can think of is that I'm finally able to IZAC somewhat. I'm also considering trying a raw food diet for a short time just because. Some raw meals are surprisingly tasty, like gazpacho, raw cheesecake, and raw jalapeno poppers, then there's simpler stuff like things like carrots dipped in raw almond butter.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
So, have a quick look at the Link boards and tell me if you want the colourful thread prefixes as well. I was sort of trialling it on them. Some of them hate it so I think things are going well XD.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Ok so I went to add some of them, then I realised that we'd just end up with a whole heap of yellow 'official' titles everywhere. As it is we end up missing out on the orange forum rules one because I like green and the thread acts as the q/a thread more often than not. So I stopped at adding that and the data one for the meta/AT thread. I kind of wish you could customise the colours...

Yes or no to plastering everything in yellow?

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
So I'm thinking of getting monster hunter 4 or shovel knight and some vert console games any opinions or do you guys have some recommendations and no I won't get pokemon or Zelda games soon I need a break from those

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
Monster Hunter is 100x better if you have friends to play with and Shovel knight is good if you enjoyed the original megaman games. I have both and enjoy both. If we're talking 3DS games there's not much else to recommend from those particular genres of games unless you want to but the original megaman titles

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Yes.
Looks ugly, but can kinda help make our seven stickied threads seem less overwhelming.
Less overwhelming? By having 'official' tags?
So I'm thinking of getting monster hunter 4 or shovel knight and some vert console games any opinions or do you guys have some recommendations and no I won't get pokemon or Zelda games soon I need a break from those
For the virtual console games, is there any particular genre you're interested in checking out? JRPG, side scrolling platformer, metroid-vania, etc?
Also are we talking about pre or post N64?
Are there any games that you absolutely loved and want something similar to?

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Well, seven stickied posts is a bit overwhelming at first glance. Also, names like "Pirate's Charm" or "Sea Chart" kinda add unnecessary text if you want to quickly identify threads. I like the titles though, please don't remove them.
Color association is always nice to clean up and categorize posts. The tags are also placed on the left of the title rather than the right, bringing it lots of attention, making it kind of like a short title. Yay categorization.
Also, making the rest of the threads yellow makes the gray "Guide" tag stand out more than it does now, at least with the default gray and orange theme. The guide on each forum was my go-to thread when I first visited Smashboards, so I thought that would be nice for new people, lol.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Well upb is good for recovering back to the stage, and up+a can make you do cool things like utilt, usmash, and uair. Unless you mean with the default controls, in which case up = jump. :p
In all seriousness, not much for me other than the usual. All I can think of is that I'm finally able to IZAC somewhat. I'm also considering trying a raw food diet for a short time just because. Some raw meals are surprisingly tasty, like gazpacho, raw cheesecake, and raw jalapeno poppers, then there's simpler stuff like things like carrots dipped in raw almond butter.
Actually Tink's recovery is pretty bad and is no way good for recovering :p.

Nah, in all seriousness, I have had a pretty good time. Just seen the new Avengers movie and OMG!!!!

So, have a quick look at the Link boards and tell me if you want the colourful thread prefixes as well. I was sort of trialling it on them. Some of them hate it so I think things are going well XD.
Pretty :colorful:.

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice

For the virtual console games, is there any particular genre you're interested in checking out? JRPG, side scrolling platformer, metroid-vania, etc?
Also are we talking about pre or post N64?
Are there any games that you absolutely loved and want something similar to?
Well I know what I'll get if I go virt console I'll probably get wario land or some megaman games but I meant like any games that aren't virt console
I like what you did with the stickies in both link boards

ILJ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
giancarlo777
3DS FC
2852-9628-7134

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Wow, the offer ends on Thursday. :'| I'll have to choose my game soon.
I have Gold status and only a WiiU. I don't have any game preference, I guess I should go with Metroid?
Maybe Warioware, just because it's a stage in Smash. :L

Also dang. MVG and Wizzrobe. And some other guy with two sponsors who I don't know. :|
And is that Noa the Ness main Noa??? He's in Florida too?

Last edited:

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
Wow, the offer ends on Thursday. :'| I'll have to choose my game soon.
I have Gold status and only a WiiU. I don't have any game preference, I guess I should go with Metroid?
Maybe Warioware, just because it's a stage in Smash. :L

Also dang. MVG and Wizzrobe. And some other guy with two sponsors who I don't know. :|
And is that Noa the Ness main Noa??? He's in Florida too?
I'm wondering what the new reward system is gonna be called and how it will work

But for my 3ds I got the original donkey Kong for game boy and mario land 6 gold coins on club Nintendo that is

Last edited:
Top Bottom