• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Chat Waker - Toon Link social

D

Deleted member

Also, my favourite food is Pizza. I know it's not really a holiday food, but I love it too much.
Pizza is amazing. Why isn't there a holiday where people celebrate by eating pizza yet? I wouldn't mind replacing Valentine's Day with International Pizza Day, personally. :p

For the moves thing (I can't quote that part for some reason, it causes the rest of my message to become a quote even when your message is ended in [ /quote]), mine would be:
1) Neutral B- Same as yours, fire arrows like in PM.

Side B - I can't think of anything I'd change except reduce the starting and ending lag.

Up B - The hurricane spin is actually surprisingly good, so I'd change it to that except with sacrificing a little bit of the horizontal recovery it gets for vertical recovery.

Down B - I'd make them so them hitting the ground wouldn't cause them to blow up, so they could stay on the ground for stage control.

Jab combo - I'd just add the extra 1% damage like he had in the demo for the Wii U version.

Side Smash - Same as yours, his PM fsmash.

Up Smash - I wouldn't change anything about the Wii U one. For the 3DS version, I tested a ton and found it to have slightly more knockback in the Wii U version than the 3DS version, causing it to be able to kill a few % earlier, so I would give the 3DS version his Wii U usmash.

Dash attack and D tilt - For the dash attack I'd use his PM one, and for dtilt I would give him his Brawl dtilt back. If I remember correctly, didn't it do more damage and cause you to trip more often? Maybe I'm getting things mixed up. If I'm wrong then I wouldn't change anything except to give it more damage and make it faster.

Dair -Same as yours.

2) Bair - Same as yours, though I wouldn't mind extra knockback. Makes it a better kill move, + the extra hitstun in this game means it wouldn't lose its combo ability.

I don't know if I would give him more damage all around or make him faster, but if I could choose both then I'd do that. His attack speed and attack power are both really lacking.

Also, I posted the stuff I found in the Wii U version in the thread if you didn't see it already. Basically, TL received a few minor buffs.
:170:

Last edited by a moderator:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Pizza is amazing. Why isn't there a holiday where people celebrate by eating pizza yet? I wouldn't mind replacing Valentine's Day with International Pizza Day, personally. :p

For the moves thing (I can't quote that part for some reason, it causes the rest of my message to become a quote even when your message is ended in [ /quote]), mine would be:
1) Neutral B- Same as yours, fire arrows like in PM.

Side B - I can't think of anything I'd change except reduce the starting and ending lag.

Up B - The hurricane spin is actually surprisingly good, so I'd change it to that except with sacrificing a little bit of the horizontal recovery it gets for vertical recovery.

Down B - I'd make them so them hitting the ground wouldn't cause them to blow up, so they could stay on the ground for stage control.

Jab combo - I'd just add the extra 1% damage like he had in the demo for the Wii U version.

Side Smash - Same as yours, his PM fsmash.

Up Smash - I wouldn't change anything about the Wii U one. For the 3DS version, I tested a ton and found it to have slightly more knockback in the Wii U version than the 3DS version, causing it to be able to kill a few % earlier, so I would give the 3DS version his Wii U usmash.

Dash attack and D tilt - For the dash attack I'd use his PM one, and for dtilt I would give him his Brawl dtilt back. If I remember correctly, didn't it do more damage and cause you to trip more often? Maybe I'm getting things mixed up. If I'm wrong then I wouldn't change anything except to give it more damage and make it faster.

Dair -Same as yours.

2) Bair - Same as yours, though I wouldn't mind extra knockback. Makes it a better kill move, + the extra hitstun in this game means it wouldn't lose its combo ability.

I don't know if I would give him more damage all around or make him faster, but if I could choose both then I'd do that. His attack speed and attack power are both really lacking.

Also, I added the stuff I posted the stuff I found in the Wii U version in the thread if you didn't see it already. Basically, TL received a few minor buffs.
100% WANT INTERNATIONAL PIZZA DAY! :laugh:. Yeah, those are some cool changes (don't worry, you're right about his old dtilt, the only reason I want his PM one is because of the spike it gets) I also thought of one more buff for option 2 : Improved ground (or at least) improved air speed.

What do you mean in the last part of your comment?

D

Deleted member

100% WANT INTERNATIONAL PIZZA DAY! :laugh:
I am totally going to celebrate International Pizza Day on Valentine's Day from now on.

What do you mean in the last part of your comment?
A terrible typo. :p I fixed it. But yeah, TL's grab is faster and his usmash has slightly more knockback, and I forget if there was anything else.

Soo... What got you guys to pick TL?

Personally, I debated between using him or Pikachu in Brawl, but ended up going with Pikachu because I found him easier to use for whatever odd reason. I eventually ended up meeting some TL mains who showed me how to use him (I tried looking in the TL boards at the time for help, but having come from the Pika boards which were amazing, the TL ones seemed awful and drove me away), so I picked him up as a secondary. I'd already stuck with Pikachu long enough that I figured I'd continue maining him, then after he was totally changed in SSB4 I switched to TL.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Actually, the "Toon Link" thread is supposed to be the social thread as well.

@Dr. Artemis
I've made you the owner of the thread. Go ahead and copy paste the original post there.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Thread has been reopened.
THANK YOU X3.

I am totally going to celebrate International Pizza Day on Valentine's Day from now on.

A terrible typo. :p I fixed it. But yeah, TL's grab is faster and his usmash has slightly more knockback, and I forget if there was anything else.

Soo... What got you guys to pick TL?

Personally, I debated between using him or Pikachu in Brawl, but ended up going with Pikachu because I found him easier to use for whatever odd reason. I eventually ended up meeting some TL mains who showed me how to use him (I tried looking in the TL boards at the time for help, but having come from the Pika boards which were amazing, the TL ones seemed awful and drove me away), so I picked him up as a secondary. I'd already stuck with Pikachu long enough that I figured I'd continue maining him, then after he was totally changed in SSB4 I switched to TL.
SAME HERE MAN :laugh:.

That's awesome. I don't suppose they fixed up his UP B too?

Also, the reason I only choose Toon Link was because he replace Young Link. Seriously, if Yink came back as DLC, I would drop Tink in a heart beat, it doesn't make how bad :younglinkmelee: is, I love him too much :chuckle:.

D

Deleted member

Thanks, FalKoopa!

Thhat's awesome. I don't suppose they fixed up his UP B too?
Unfortunately not. I tested it a ton, and it goes the same exact distance as it does in the 3DS version. I spent several hours messing around looking for differences between both versions, and grab speed and usmash knockback were the only differences I found. I still have more testing to do, so there could be more that I missed (for example, usmash is the only smash I've tested, and I tested that one on accident), but I doubt it. The difference in TL's usmash was probably an oversight. The difference in knockback is too minor for it to make sense for it to have been done on purpose, and usmash is probably the one move of TL's that needed a buff the least.

Also, the reason I only choose Toon Link was because he replace Young Link. Seriously, if Yink came back as DLC, I would drop Tink in a heart beat, it doesn't make how bad :younglinkmelee: is, I love him too much :chuckle:.
I think I would probably pick him up as a secondary (as long as the DLC were free, of course). It would be neat to have Young Link back, and it's too bad he didn't get brought back considering the recent OoT remake, even if it would be really weird having three versions of the same character in one game, lol.
It also would've been neat if YL could've been brought back so that would give a good reason to give the ice arrows to at least one of the Links. Ice arrows were probably not added because they'd be difficult to balance, but I'm sure there's still a way they could have been balanced, like having them go a shorter distance than the fire arrows on a full charge, doing less damage, and keeping opponents frozen for an extremely short amount of time.
But yeah, I think the only way I'd drop TL to focus on another character would be if Pichu were brought back. It's just too bad that won't happen, lol. I'd main him even if he did double the damage to himself than he did before.
:172:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Thanks, FalKoopa!

Unfortunately not. I tested it a ton, and it goes the same exact distance as it does in the 3DS version. I spent several hours messing around looking for differences between both versions, and grab speed and usmash knockback were the only differences I found. I still have more testing to do, so there could be more that I missed (for example, usmash is the only smash I've tested, and I tested that one on accident), but I doubt it. The difference in TL's usmash was probably an oversight. The difference in knockback is too minor for it to make sense for it to have been done on purpose, and usmash is probably the one move of TL's that needed a buff the least.

I think I would probably pick him up as a secondary (as long as the DLC were free, of course). It would be neat to have Young Link back, and it's too bad he didn't get brought back considering the recent OoT remake, even if it would be really weird having three versions of the same character in one game, lol.
It also would've been neat if YL could've been brought back so that would give a good reason to give the ice arrows to at least one of the Links. Ice arrows were probably not added because they'd be difficult to balance, but I'm sure there's still a way they could have been balanced, like having them go a shorter distance than the fire arrows on a full charge, doing less damage, and keeping opponents frozen for an extremely short amount of time.
But yeah, I think the only way I'd drop TL to focus on another character would be if Pichu were brought back. It's just too bad that won't happen, lol. I'd main him even if he did double the damage to himself that he did before.

F********************************************************************************************************! SAKURIA, WHY YOU DO THIS TO US?! WHY!!!!

Serious, i did some test and found (at least from my eye point of view) that Link's, Toon Link's and Mii's Swordsman Spin attacks all go about the same height, the only difference being that Link and Mii's Swordsman have MUCH better mobility of theirs than Toon Link. Serious, I can't count the number of times I have fallen short of recovering with Tink where if I had his Brawl UP B I would have or an recover that DOESN'T RELY ON MOMENTUM. SERIOUS, IT IS SO ANNOYING!

I actually hope they bring back Young Link especially with the MM remake. Also, no on the reuce range on Ice arrows. Serious, do you see how short the Fire arrows go already? No, this is what I would do; It goes about the same distance as PM Toon Link's fire arrows and has similar characteristics, but has reduce damage, knockback or hitstun and instead of a single strong hitbox on the ground, it does multihit damage on ground hitbox. It might also have a chance of freezing people, unsure because of the bad trajectory it gets when the opponent freezes (straight up) would change to make it similar to Yoshi's egg lay, where they are poped up only a small height, but then can quickly fall to there death. That or the Light arrows I guess. Also, i wouldn't mind see Pichu return for his fans :). Though that does mean there would be 7 Pokemon. That does seem like a little bit of over kill to me.

D

Deleted member

F********************************************************************************************************! SAKURIA, WHY YOU DO THIS TO US?! WHY!!!!

Serious, i did some test and found (at least from my eye point of view) that Link's, Toon Link's and Mii's Swordsman Spin attacks all go about the same height, the only difference being that Link and Mii's Swordsman have MUCH better mobility of theirs than Toon Link. Serious, I can't count the number of times I have fallen short of recovering with Tink where if I had his Brawl UP B I would have or an recover that DOESN'T RELY ON MOMENTUM. SERIOUS, IT IS SO ANNOYING!
I knew TL's spin attack went the same height as Link's and Mii Swordsman's, but I didn't know they had better mobility out of theirs. There's an in-game tip that falsely claims that TL's spin attack goes farther than Link's and his alt trophy says his upb keeps him airborne longer (which I assume means it's supposed to go farther, since it's obvious TL is going to be airborne longer after the move is done since he's floatier), so that's a huge slap in the face. Hopefully this gets patched in the future since this is a pretty glaring oversight.

Also, i wouldn't mind see Pichu return for his fans :). Though that does mean there would be 7 Pokemon. That does seem like a little bit of over kill to me.
Mario has a ton of characters, too, so 7 pokemon wouldn't be too bad, and it's a little weird how 2/3 of them are from generation 1.

Speaking of Pokemon, what are you guys' favorite Pokemon games? My favorite mainseries ones are Crystal, Heartgold, and Soulsilver, and my favorite spin-offs are the Mystery Dungeon games except Gates to Infinity.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I knew TL's spin attack went the same height as Link's and Mii Swordsman's, but I didn't know they had better mobility out of theirs. There's an in-game tip that falsely claims that TL's spin attack goes farther than Link's and his alt trophy says his upb keeps him airborne longer (which I assume means it's supposed to go farther, since it's obvious TL is going to be airborne longer after the move is done since he's floatier), so that's a huge slap in the face. Hopefully this gets patched in the future since this is a pretty glaring oversight.

Mario has a ton of characters, too, so 7 pokemon wouldn't be too bad, and it's a little weird how 2/3 of them are from generation 1.

Speaking of Pokemon, what are you guys' favorite Pokemon games? My favorite mainseries ones are Crystal, Heartgold, and Soulsilver, and my favorite spin-offs are the Mystery Dungeon games except Gates to Infinity.
Well the trophy description isn't technically wrong, but not in a good way. With Link's and MSM, the can continue move even after the move is done and then will begin to fall. With Toon Link's, however, at the end of the move, while he does float for a second or two, he lose of moment movement and can't move horizontally until a second after he goes into freefall. Serious, I just wish the would release a patch that changed Tink's bair and Up B back to there brawl state. His SSB4 versions SUCK.

What I meant by over kill was that series like Mario and Pokemon got thousands of new comers (and old too) while series like the Legend of Zelda and (more so) the DK and Star Fox team didn't even get one new character, in fact, Star FOx lost a character. Also, while I have only comleted pokemon Y, my favs have to be the original three (though in the remake forms, discluding ORAS, haven't got it yet) just because I found them much more fun than any of the recent release and just like the Pokemon more.

D

Deleted member

Well the trophy description isn't technically wrong, but not in a good way. With Link's and MSM, the can continue move even after the move is done and then will begin to fall. With Toon Link's, however, at the end of the move, while he does float for a second or two, he lose of moment movement and can't move horizontally until a second after he goes into freefall. Serious, I just wish the would release a patch that changed Tink's bair and Up B back to there brawl state. His SSB4 versions SUCK.
Wtf, I just tried that out, and that is really weird that Link has better mobility out of his spin attack than TL does. It really was a dumb idea to make Link better than TL in almost every single way. >_> Link's upb being better and his aerials having less landing lag (it's a pretty huge difference, too; this has the landing lag frame data for all of the characters) especially don't make sense.

What I meant by over kill was that series like Mario and Pokemon got thousands of new comers (and old too) while series like the Legend of Zelda and (more so) the DK and Star Fox team didn't even get one new character, in fact, Star FOx lost a character.
True. It is really weird how games that deserved newcomers didn't get any, while Pokemon not only got Greninja and Mewtwo but also kept a bunch that personally I don't really think deserved to stay (then again, neither does Pichu, lol).

Also, while I have only comleted pokemon Y, my favs have to be the original three (though in the remake forms, discluding ORAS, haven't got it yet) just because I found them much more fun than any of the recent release and just like the Pokemon more.
The glitches in RBY are so much fun. They're some of my favorites in the series just for that, lol.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Wtf, I just tried that out, and that is really weird that Link has better mobility out of his spin attack than TL does. It really was a dumb idea to make Link better than TL in almost every single way. >_> Link's upb being better and his aerials having less landing lag (it's a pretty huge difference, too; this has the landing lag frame data for all of the characters) especially don't make sense.
See, it is stupid. Also, WHAT THE HELL! Serious, look, I know that the Link's had a hard time in brawl especially when he departed them, but I reckon that they would have to agree with this on some degree that this is just stupid. I swear, the only difference between Link and Toon Link one is one has better (if only slightly) air mobility and speed but lacks power.

True. It is really weird how games that deserved newcomers didn't get any, while Pokemon not only got Greninja and Mewtwo but also kept a bunch that personally I don't really think deserved to stay (then again, neither does Pichu, lol).
Which pokemon do you mean? I hope not Pikachu! If you mean Jigglypuff, I 100% agree. it's not that I hate her, it's just her character in smash is stupid.

The glitches in RBY are so much fun. They're some of my favorites in the series just for that, lol.
Missingno. I choose YOU! :joyful:.

D

Deleted member

See, it is stupid. Also, WHAT THE HELL! Serious, look, I know that the Link's had a hard time in brawl especially when he departed them, but I reckon that they would have to agree with this on some degree that this is just stupid. I swear, the only difference between Link and Toon Link one is one has better (if only slightly) air mobility and speed but lacks power.
It's sad. Link had more advantages over TL in Brawl than TL does over Link in SSB4.

Which pokemon do you mean? I hope not Pikachu! If you mean Jigglypuff, I 100% agree. it's not that I hate her, it's just her character in smash is stupid.
I was mainly thinking Jigglypuff and Lucario. I'm not really sure Charizard deserved to be in, either. He seems random now that Pokemon Trainer isn't in anymore, though at least he doesn't fit as badly as Jigglypuff and Lucario do. I think it would've been better to give Pokemon a gen 5 rep, or even better to give it one rep from every generation.

Missingno. I choose YOU! :joyful:.
Missingno seriously has to be one of the best glitches of all time, lol. Also, am I the only one who thought its Yellow sprite looked a little like it had lugia in the middle? Add that to its knowing water gun and sky attack (if I remember correctly), plus being a "bird" type (lol), and for the longest time I thought it was leftover data from a scrapped lugia. I was disappointed when I later found out missingno is just used for a bunch of empty slots and was more likely to be baby kangaskhan, though it would've been pretty weird for lugia to learn pay day (or whatever the third move was, I forget), anyway, lol. But yeah, it would be really cool if Game Freak eventually brought missingno back as a real pokemon.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
It's sad. Link had more advantages over TL in Brawl than TL does over Link in SSB4.
Um, I think you have the backwards. Your right though. Though after a few more test, I found out that Link also has a dead zone where all his momentum stops, but the thing is he doesn't float the and in last about half the time Toon Link's does.

I was mainly thinking Jigglypuff and Lucario. I'm not really sure Charizard deserved to be in, either. He seems random now that Pokemon Trainer isn't in anymore, though at least he doesn't fit as badly as Jigglypuff and Lucario do. I think it would've been better to give Pokemon a gen 5 rep, or even better to give it one rep from every generation.
Yeah, Charizard does seem very lucky to get pick, serious after watching PM Squirtle using his final smash, I'm kind to start ot miss the little guy, he was my favourite out of the three original (though sometimes I do lean back towards Chamander again. I can never decide, another reason why I like the original 3 over the newer ones)

Missingno seriously has to be one of the best glitches of all time, lol. Also, am I the only one who thought its Yellow sprite looked a little like it had lugia in the middle? Add that to its knowing water gun and sky attack (if I remember correctly), plus being a "bird" type (lol), and for the longest time I thought it was leftover data from a scrapped lugia. I was disappointed when I later found out missingno is just used for a bunch of empty slots and was more likely to be baby kangaskhan, though it would've been pretty weird for lugia to learn pay day (or whatever the third move was, I forget), anyway, lol. But yeah, it would be really cool if Game Freak eventually brought missingno back as a real pokemon.

Awesome thought: Game Freak brings back Missingno and gives it a Mega Evolution :laugh:.

D

Deleted member

Um, I think you have the backwards. Your right though. Though after a few more test, I found out that Link also has a dead zone where all his momentum stops, but the thing is he doesn't float the and in last about half the time Toon Link's does.
Just a terrible way of wording it, lol. Basically, I was trying to say that even though Link was worse than TL in Brawl, he still had advantages over TL, moreso than TL does over Link in this game. Which is pretty bad from a balancing standpoint. You'd think Sakurai would've learned at least something about this from Brawl.

Yeah, Charizard does seem very lucky to get pick, serious after watching PM Squirtle using his final smash, I'm kind to start ot miss the little guy, he was my favourite out of the three original (though sometimes I do lean back towards Chamander again. I can never decide, another reason why I like the original 3 over the newer ones)
I miss Squirtle, too. He was fun to use. I can see why he didn't get picked to be in SSB4, though.

Awesome thought: Game Freak brings back Missingno and gives it a Mega Evolution :laugh:.
Someone needs to make some petitions for this and bug Game Freak about it until they do this loool. What would missingno mega evolve into, though? It would also be interesting to see what typing Game Freak would decide on. I was thinking missingno would be electric and/or steel.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Just a terrible way of wording it, lol. Basically, I was trying to say that even though Link was worse than TL in Brawl, he still had advantages over TL, moreso than TL does over Link in this game. Which is pretty bad from a balancing standpoint. You'd think Sakurai would've learned at least something about this from Brawl.
Ah, ok, I get. Your absolutely right though. That is just bad balancing.

I miss Squirtle, too. He was fun to use. I can see why he didn't get picked to be in SSB4, though.
*Hugs*

Someone needs to make some petitions for this and bug Game Freak about it until they do this loool. What would missingno mega evolve into, though? It would also be interesting to see what typing Game Freak would decide on. I was thinking missingno would be electric and/or steel.
YES! XD. Oh, I know what it's special ability or move could be.

Blue screen of Death

If hits Instant kills all Pokemon in the opponents party but also has a chance of causing game to crash and the absolute destruction of Console :seuss:

D

Deleted member

Oh cool, are we having a hug party? *hugs* But yeah, squirtle is pretty great, and is probably my favorite gen 1 starter. I like charmander, too.

YES! XD. Oh, I know what it's special ability or move could be.

Blue screen of Death

If hits Instant kills all Pokemon in the opponents party but also has a chance of causing game to crash and the absolute destruction of Console :seuss:
Don't forget the part about corrupting your Hall of Fame data. :p
Now that I think about it, it would be neat if there were one ???-type pokemon at least to add variety. It seems like a fitting type for missingno, though something would have to be done to prevent it from getting wonder guard. It's too bad the ??? type is no longer a thing, though, even if all of the moves that were ???-type would've made more sense as another type in the first place.

Also, someone let me know if you think of a better title for this thread. I didn't want it to have a bland and boring title like just "Toon Link Social", but I couldn't come up with anything better except maybe "Fairy Island" or something.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Oh cool, are we having a hug party? *hugs* But yeah, squirtle is pretty great, and is probably my favorite gen 1 starter. I like charmander, too.

Don't forget the part about corrupting your Hall of Fame data. :p
Now that I think about it, it would be neat if there were one ???-type pokemon at least to add variety. It seems like a fitting type for missingno, though something would have to be done to prevent it from getting wonder guard. It's too bad the ??? type is no longer a thing, though, even if all of the moves that were ???-type would've made more sense as another type in the first place.

Also, someone let me know if you think of a better title for this thread. I didn't want it to have a bland and boring title like just "Toon Link Social", but I couldn't come up with anything better except maybe "Fairy Island" or something.
Yeah it's hug club. Rule one of hug club; don't talk about hug club XD.

Also yes. Just yes.

Hmm, how about "Cutest Link right behind Young Link"?

D

Deleted member

Yeah it's hug club. Rule one of hug club; don't talk about hug club XD.
Oh, it's a secret, huh? Cool, just changed the title to make sure everyone is on the same page about its secretiveness. :happysheep: Hugs for all!

Hmm, how about "Cutest Link right behind Young Link"?
Hmm, I think I might try a similar title later. First though I have to make sure that everyone knows not to talk about the hug club. :p

Sooo... What's everyone (as in, all two of us, apparently, lol) up to?

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Oh, it's a secret, huh? Cool, just changed the title to make sure everyone is on the same page about its secretiveness. :happysheep: Hugs for all!

Hmm, I think I might try a similar title later. First though I have to make sure that everyone knows not to talk about the hug club. :p

Sooo... What's everyone (as in, all two of us, apparently, lol) up to?
Like the name. It's very cute, like Toon Link :happysheep:.

That's all I ask.

Well, i'm trying to fix up my R bumper on my 3ds because it is currently stuffing up. It's really annoying. You now, we should tag a whole bunch of Toon Link player names so that they know to come her. Genius!

D

Deleted member

Well, i'm trying to fix up my R bumper on my 3ds because it is currently stuffing up. It's really annoying.
"R bumper"? You mean "R button", right? :p The shoulder buttons of the 3DS can be really annoying. I recently had to have mine repaired because nothing I tried would get them to stop thinking they were constantly being pressed.

You now, we should tag a whole bunch of Toon Link player names so that they know to come here. Genius!
Lol, I've felt like doing that a few times, and might consider it if I knew how to tag people. It is kinda odd how our social thread is as inactive as it is when other threads get at least a slightly larger variety of people posting. Our social thread even doubles as a super-secret hug club, so everyone should be posting here because super-secret hug clubs are awesome. :happysheep:

Though, the TL boards have been a lot less much less active overall ever since BLC was removed, so maybe it isn't that surprising that no one has been posting here. if only TL would get a buff sometime soon, or at least a new balance patch would be announced, and that would probably help make things less quiet around here. It's probably going to be at least a few months before another balance patch is announced, though...

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
"R bumper"? You mean "R button", right? :p The shoulder buttons of the 3DS can be really annoying. I recently had to have mine repaired because nothing I tried would get them to stop thinking they were they were constantly being pressed
R bumper, R button, Potato, Potarto, in my eyes. I sorry to here that, though the problem with mine is if I hit it, it will either slightly work or not work at all. It's getting annoying.

Lol, I've felt like doing that a few times, and might consider it if I knew how to tag people. It is kinda odd how our social thread is as inactive as it is when other threads get at least a slightly larger variety of people posting. Our social thread even doubles as a super-secret hug club, so everyone should be posting here because super-secret hug clubs are awesome. :happysheep:

Though, the TL boards have been a lot less much less active overall ever since BLC was removed, so maybe it isn't that surprising that no one has been posting here. if only TL would get a buff sometime soon, or at least a new balance patch would be announced, and that would probably help make things less quiet around here. It's probably going to be at least a few months before another balance patch is announced, though...
Yeah, it's easy. You just press @ and then write in the name of the user, like @ Fox Is Openly Deceptive Fox Is Openly Deceptive , and ta da! He should come over to the thread if he wants to.

Also, if I honest, all Toon Link needs is for his UpB to be fixed up and maybe a cut in the lag on his moves. That's all I think he really needs.

I don't like Hugs that much honestly.
Get out.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Did somebody call m.... oh.... ok dw.

Edit: Toon is amazing in smash 4.
Also, change the stupid name of this thread XD.

Edit 2: That's a little better.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't like Hugs that much honestly.
*Gasp* That's terrible! *gives sleepy_Nex a hug*

R bumper, R button, Potato, Potarto, in my eyes.
"Potarto"? That has to be the best thing I've read all day (though, to be fair, I only just woke up).

Also, if I honest, all Toon Link needs is for his UpB to be fixed up and maybe a cut in the lag on his moves. That's all I think he really needs.
I think he mostly just needs this + his dair being fixed, or a lot of extra attack power on his moves to justify them being so slow and laggy.

Did somebody call m.... oh.... ok dw.
Huh?

Also, change the stupid name of this thread XD.
Done.

Also, if anyone ever wants me to edit their profile in the OP I'll be willing to change it as often as you want (as long as you're not changing it every hour or something else silly). Just put the new version in a post on here or send it to me in a message. I'd be more than happy to change the color, too.

Edit: For some reason my post somehow turned into an endless quote. I keep trying to fix it, but every time I edit the [ /quote ]s at the end out they just come right back again, keeping my post as one big quote.

Edit 2: Fixed.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I should've clarified. What's a dw?
Also, welcome to The Ultra-Secret Hug Club, FIOD! *gives FIOD a hug* Man, I miss this thread's old name already. Now how are people supposed to know The Ultra-Secret Hug Club is a secret?

How? Just wondering.
Oh ok. 'dw' is just internet short-hand for 'don't worry'.
I explained it at some length to the Links so I might just copy-paste my posts below:
So I just came back from a very long meet. We've been playing an American version of smash 4 for the past few days or so because as if we were going to wait till the Australian release. There is so much I would like to say about the game, but there is one interesting observation in particular that I'd like to share.

Basically, there are characters that got huge buffs in smash 4, not because of any change in their move-set, or speed of attacks, or recovery etc necessarily, but simply because they work better as a character in the smash 4 game. Link and Toon fall into this category. For now though, take Fox for example. Oh sure he got a buff to his recovery by being able to act out of side-b (eventually), but on the whole, looking at just the character Fox in Brawl and in smash 4 and disregarding anything else for now, he actually got very nerffed in general (Dair, Fair, U-smash, U-tilt, Laser and Shine), and yet, Fox as a character in smash 4 is considered one of the best characters. The reasons for this have nothing to do with the differences made to the character; it's because of the fact that smash 4 is a different game and it just so happens to work in his favour. There are the obvious things like the fact that there is more hitstun which means that all the strings of attacks that felt like they should have worked in brawl now actually combo, and then there's the fact that Fox no longer has to worry about ******** matchups with stuff like the pikachu chaingrabs.
As for the Links, I found that one huge difference that has generally been overlooked is the fact that airdodges have been nerffed in smash 4, which means that their spam game in general is insane now. Being able to have multiple projectiles out at the same time while the opponent isn't able to just airdodge through it or airdodge to avoid getting hit again once they get hit by the first projectile makes frame traps, kill setups and camping so much easier. And this is without mentioning the more obvious benefits of smash 4 like the hitstun and the ledge mechanics.
Other examples of characters that greatly benefit from simply being in smash 4 include Ness because of the ledge mechanics and the rage mechanic, but the point is, you need to look further than whether or not any particular character is better than a previous version of that character because in many cases the all important factors will come from the differences in the game in which those characters find themselves.

I'm not sure how well that was all worded, but there it is.
A lot of characters got severely nerfed compared to their previous version, e.g Falco, and because of this a lot of people dropped them. What they didn't realise, and what a lot of people do not realise even when it is explained, is that character buffs and nerfs (compared to previous versions of that character) can have very little to do with whether or not a particular character performs well or not in a game. Some people are now realising that Falco is still actually really legit. (Comboing out of side-b for the kill? The f***? And that's purely because of there being more hitstun in smash 4, not because of a buff to side-b.) I could give more examples, but the point is there to be seen.

Link is actually a special case. He got buffed as a character compared to previous versions of said character and he performs better as a character in this new game.
But basically, Toon is another example of a character that got generally nerffed compared to his brawl version, but that nonetheless actually performs better as a character in smash 4.

D

Deleted member

But basically, Toon is another example of a character that got generally nerffed compared to his brawl version, but that nonetheless actually performs better as a character in smash 4.
The extra hit stun is pretty nice for TL's projectles.

Sooo... What are you guys' favorite games?
Personally, mine are Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, and Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Anyone getting an amiibo?

I kinda want a Toon Link amibo just for the figurine. Training him to run away and throw stuff will be a bonus.

adorable

Favourite games aside from smash. Played Dota on warcraft 3 for a good few years of my high school days. Moved on to League of Legends when gf started playing that, and my brick of a laptop couldn't run Dota 2 without melting the table.

Crash Bandicoot on the Playstation was the cornerstone of my childhood. Crash 3 warped, and Crash Team Racing (christ I miss that game) was king. Honourable mentions to Crash Bash. Oh snap and Pokemon Red-Gold. Now I'm just listing games everyone loves.

Halo 1 will always have a special place in my heart. Blood Gulch baby.

Last edited:

RiRinKal

Smash Rookie
NNID
RiRinKal
Hello, New Toon Link User here XD.

Username: RiRinKal
Main: Toon Link
Secondaries: Toon Link
Favorite Toon Link Costume: Link Between Worlds(3DS, WiiU) or Shadow Toon Link
Dislikes: Umm.....I don't know to be honest..but anything that makes me feel uncomfortable I guess??
Other Facts:
I played 3DS version quite while(right now I am playing Wii U version)
Very first time to getting into competitive smash(Although I did played previous smash games in my buddy's house)

Pretty new to this website, and... I really wish I can be better at toon link. XD
May be not top level, but you know... at least "High level"? XD

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So I think some threads should probably be unstickied, and this one should probably go first. What do you guys think? Also, anyone have any ideas for what else should be unstickied? I'm worried we might have too many stickied threads, and it seems like a lot of people just scroll past them possibly because there are too many.

Hello, New Toon Link User here XD.

Welcome to Smashboards and the TL board! Also, I just added your profile to the original post.

I kinda want a Toon Link amibo just for the figurine. Training him to run away and throw stuff will be a bonus.
Same. I keep telling myself I shouldn't spend the money on it when it comes out, but the thought of having that figurine around is too appealing. Being able to train the amiibo to be better than me sounds fun, too. It's just too bad amiibos only come in the default colors, I would love a red one.

Yackabean

"He's shooting arrows out his butt" ~ Scotland
NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714

adorable

Favourite games aside from smash. Played Dota on warcraft 3 for a good few years of my high school days. Moved on to League of Legends when gf started playing that, and my brick of a laptop couldn't run Dota 2 without melting the table.

Crash Bandicoot on the Playstation was the cornerstone of my childhood. Crash 3 warped, and Crash Team Racing (christ I miss that game) was king. Honourable mentions to Crash Bash. Oh snap and Pokemon Red-Gold. Now I'm just listing games everyone loves.

Halo 1 will always have a special place in my heart. Blood Gulch baby.

I'm actually a Crash Bandicoot 2 speedrunner in 100% :p Got a 1:23:14 and I'm on a leaderboard. Haven't played in months though so many people have passed me I was like 7th, now 13th.

On the note of Toon Link amiibo. I'm going to try my darn hardest to teach it to IZAC. If it can learn a near enough frame perfect trick I will legit believe all credibility in amiibos.

D

Deleted member

I've heard the Crash Bandicoot games are pretty awesome, but I've never gotten to play them since I don't own any Playstation stuff.
I'm actually a Crash Bandicoot 2 speedrunner in 100% :p Got a 1:23:14 and I'm on a leaderboard. Haven't played in months though so many people have passed me I was like 7th, now 13th.
Cool stuff. Do you have the videos?
I love speedrunning, and used to do low score speedruns of Super Mario World 2 before my recorder decided it wasn't going to work anymore one day. There were a bunch of levels I had pretty much finished practicing, too, so I only managed to record like five levels total because of it. I even practiced for days so I could do flashy tricks on one level to make it more interesting to watch, which is something I normally didn't want to put the effort into doing since just clearing a level while doing the low score challenge is hard enough by itself. So yeah, I've been hoping I can eventually go back and at least finish the levels I already practiced, if not the whole game.

On the note of Toon Link amiibo. I'm going to try my darn hardest to teach it to IZAC. If it can learn a near enough frame perfect trick I will legit believe all credibility in amiibos.
Have amiibos been found to be able to learn any ATs like that at all yet? I'd be really surprised if they could.

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
I've heard the Crash Bandicoot games are pretty awesome, but I've never gotten to play them since I don't own any Playstation stuff.

Cool stuff. Do you have the videos?
I love speedrunning, and used to do low score speedruns of Super Mario World 2 before my recorder decided it wasn't going to work anymore one day. There were a bunch of levels I had pretty much finished practicing, too, so I only managed to record like five levels total because of it. I even practiced for days so I could do flashy tricks on one level to make it more interesting to watch, which is something I normally didn't want to put the effort into doing since just clearing a level while doing the low score challenge is hard enough by itself. So yeah, I've been hoping I can eventually go back and at least finish the levels I already practiced, if not the whole game.

Have amiibos been found to be able to learn any ATs like that at all yet? I'd be really surprised if they could.
www.twitch.tv /yackabean

You'll find my highlights there (blatant plugin woo )
Haven't streamed in a while due to bad computer hardware and stuff.

Also I dunoo about amiibos, earning at 's. My DK doesn't bother learning charge punch cancelling despite me teaching it. Instead it did a lot of uncharged punches in the beginning. Now it sort of does it and it's level 50

D

Deleted member

Lol... I can't believe it took me over a month to realize I could've simply called this thread "The Chat Waker" or something of the sort instead of trying to think of some fancy name that ended up not making any sense. In my defense, I asked some other people and they couldn't think of a better name, so I wasn't the only one who was overthinking it to the extreme, lol. So yeah, should I keep the new name for this thread? If someone has a better name idea that would work, too. Of course, I would also be more than happy to permanently name the thread "The Ultra-Secret Hug Club". :happysheep: Just kidding... Sort of.

Which reminds me, I completely forgot to look up to see if there's anything like an International Pizza Day as an accepted holiday. Turns out such a holiday does exist, and is on February 9. I was already planing on celebrating International Pizza Day on Valentine's Day, and they're both in the same week in 2015, so I don't know about anyone else but I think I'll be celebrating International Pizza Week instead. :p

As for the amiibos, now that I think about it, couldn't cpus in Brawl learn how to do simple chain grabs? I once had a level 9 Pikachu cpu doing one fthrow > fthrow chain grab on me once, not sure if it's a coincidence but I doubt it. Amiibosalmost certainly have much, much better AI, so they would probably be able to learn tons of ATs if level 9 Brawl cpus could even do simple chain grabs. Just the thought of teaching ATs to a TL amiibo is making me wish the TL amiibo would hurry up and come out already, lol.

Also I dunoo about amiibos, earning at 's. My DK doesn't bother learning charge punch cancelling despite me teaching it. Instead it did a lot of uncharged punches in the beginning. Now it sort of does it and it's level 50
If they're anything like Brawl cpus, they're going to take absolutely forever to teach, so it would probably be hard to tell at this point how good they are at learning ATs.

anyone that loves toon link is a sage
Yes. Just yes.

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
If we taught how to get a Toon Link to Bomb Lag Cancel I'd be over the moon.

T-Man

Smash Cadet
NNID
lT-Manl
3DS FC
5086-1450-2098
I´m new here. I wanna be part of here :)

Username: T-Man
Main: :4tlink:
Secondaries: :4link: :4sheik:
Favorite Toon Link costume: Shadow TL´s one.
Likes: Karate, TLoZ (I´m a collector :p), chemistry and other martials arts (specialy capoeira but I´m not Brazilian :( )
Dislikes: mmm... just disrespect
Other facts: Someone wanna add me? I like playing 1 vs 1 (FG and with friends). Let me know if gonna add me me :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom