• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The champ in making would like to battle, Pokémon Trainer for Smash Switch.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I wouldn't mind flare blitz if they toned it down. Reduce the distance, maybe cut the power but also the end lag. In SSB4 it's such a huge commitment and can send you far offstage if positioned poorly.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I wouldn't mind flare blitz if they toned it down. Reduce the distance, maybe cut the power but also the end lag. In SSB4 it's such a huge commitment and can send you far offstage if positioned poorly.
It's a high-damaging move that causes much more recoil damage in the actual games. It kind of has to be risky to be
faithful to the games. This isn't a Luigi misfire, if you fly offstage with it then that's on you.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
So one thing that has been on my mind for a while is how in prior smash games you could start as different transformation characters when holding R on the CSS. I know a lot of people are more so fans of playing the pokemon by themselves so do you think there is a chance Sakurai's team might add a selection equivalent so that the player only picks a particular pokemon? I know there is no way of knowing at this time but still I just wanted to hear other people's opinions on the matter.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
So one thing that has been on my mind for a while is how in prior smash games you could start as different transformation characters when holding R on the CSS. I know a lot of people are more so fans of playing the pokemon by themselves so do you think there is a chance Sakurai's team might add a selection equivalent so that the player only picks a particular pokemon? I know there is no way of knowing at this time but still I just wanted to hear other people's opinions on the matter.
Smash Wiki says that the trainer and the first Pokémon are in the select screen, and you can click on the Pokémon to cycle through for your starter. And at this point, there's no penalty for sticking with only one through the game.

It will be interesting to see how they're considered internally. In Brawl they each got their own stock icon, which I can see them getting here now that G&W turns characters into their stock icons for his throw. But we also had times in Classis where we faced a single mon, i.e. "Versus...Ivysaur!" which I hope is coming back. I did like each one named by the announcer. They did each get individual win poses with the trainer too.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
it's not the same due to the forced pokemon switch upon loss of stock. While I like that feature about him, I know some players who personally hate that feature.
It'd be cool if the character select screen had an option when you choose the Pokémon Trainer that lets you set them to either SWITCH or SET, not unlike the actual Pokémon games.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Something I noticed: in Diddy’s character video, you see him taking on Ivysaur for a bit on Battlefield (? I’m out so I can’t check this second). Anyway, the camera pulls back to show that Red is not there.

Does anyone remember from Brawl’s Classic Mode if Red still showed up when the random pulled one of the mons?

Something to think about...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Something I noticed: in Diddy’s character video, you see him taking on Ivysaur for a bit on Battlefield (? I’m out so I can’t check this second). Anyway, the camera pulls back to show that Red is not there.

Does anyone remember from Brawl’s Classic Mode if Red still showed up when the random pulled one of the mons?

Something to think about...
It's Town & City, and I think Red is still there, obscured by the hotly contested launch trail smoke.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Red disappear sometimes from moving/traveling stages? He may be behind that thick smoke trail though.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Red disappear sometimes from moving/traveling stages? He may be behind that thick smoke trail though.
In moving stages or other stages that don't give him something stable to stand on, he just gets his own personal platform for him and other potential trainers to stand on.

During Subspace Emissary he followed as much as he could, but would sometimes be unable to keep up for a time, eventually teleporting back on-screen similar to how Player 2 can do.

Last edited:

Noventiaa

Smash Cadet
I was listening to the thing ZeRo was saying about it rewarding you for switching, and although i never played brawl so i could be wrong, I think what they've done is rather than giving you negative feedback for not switching, you get positive feedback if you do, which is a much better way to make people enjoy and play the character without completely crippling solo mains. It's basically the same thing but a reward instead of a punishment, which i think is pretty clever.

Last edited:

JJBro1

Smash Journeyman
As amazing as this game is shaping up to be it's bittersweet knowing I can't solo charizard. That was the one thing I needed them to get right for me. I put 100+ hours into him alone on smash 4 and wasn't a fan of squirtle or ivysaur in brawl. I'll just have to adjust.

Last edited:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
well it may be highly unlikely but I guess there's always a chance that one of Charizards megas gets revealed as an echo. I could see Sakurai possibly doing this to satiate Zard mains.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I've watched several videos and seen how fast PT's switching downB works. PT might end up being a very good character by switching to cover an individual pokemon's weaknesses. Charizard gets juggled and has trouble landing so switch to squirtle. Ivy can't recover offstage so switch to charizard. Ivy wracks up damage then switches to char for kills. Etc.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
OK guys, now that the game is out, anybody have any thoughts? Personally, PT is all I hoped he would be and more. It's been 8 years since I last owned a copy of Brawl and to finally be able to play a PT that doesn't suck is a dream come true.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
OK guys, now that the game is out, anybody have any thoughts? Personally, PT is all I hoped he would be and more. It's been 8 years since I last owned a copy of Brawl and to finally be able to play a PT that doesn't suck is a dream come true.
I'm loving him. I got my boi Squirtle back, so we're all good. Finally managed to unlock him, and he got a lot better than in Brawl, especially that Ivysaur's Bullet Seed will lift opponents into it, and that Charizard kept Flare Blitz.

I'm getting used to his voice, but I'd have preferred they kept the Brawl one. This one sounds like Gary, tbh. Also, I wish that it was a little more based on the pokémon - I liked in Brawl how you got to see the stocks for whichever mon landed a KO hit or got KOd in the results screen, and I wish the announcer would say the names of the mons. It'd be really cool if they announced "Trainer Wins" if you switched around, but if you spent more than 80% of the match in one form, they would just say "Squirtle wins." Also give the winpose with the mon that either made the most KOs, did the most damage, or was out the longest, regardless of who's out at the end of the match.

1FC0

Smash Lord
No they need to keep the last mon in the win pose because now I can choose between 6 different win poses without any cost.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard have their own character icons.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I miss hydroplaning with squirtle :( Most sliding was removed from this game and IDK how to play him anymore.

Stickmanlolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lolaldenlee
Switch FC
SW-1694-6309-5598
I miss hydroplaning with squirtle :( Most sliding was removed from this game and IDK how to play him anymore.
He kind of plays like shiek now, especially with his incredible aerial frame data. Suffocate your opponent with aerials and space f-tilts, d-throw-> up b is true to about 40%

Stickmanlolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lolaldenlee
Switch FC
SW-1694-6309-5598
160%+ kills for the win :psycho:WOOOOOOOOOO:psycho:! At least they're trying to balance the game slowly rather than shoving massive unnecessary changes seemingly for no reason(*cough* *cough* Greninja).

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
The new dash attack scales pretty well with rage, i managed to kill a marth with nair > dash attack at around 80% at the ledgeof fd when i was at like 90%.

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
They where probably di'ng wrong, but yeah it is pretty ok if you have rage and you are at the ledge.
It seems to be better than rage d-tilt at least.

Scarlet Spyder

Smash Cadet
I think in most cases Pivot-cancelled ftilt is gonna be better than dash attack unless you are chasing/catching a landing opponent. Dtilt can be good if you follow-up the tech chase with a Flare Blitz.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Nice broken up air ivysaur
I mean, if Zero says so it has to be true.
I also like how je claimed that he was only Killed by Ivysaur Dair and UpAir, even though he got UpB-d, Fsmashed and Charizard Faired plenty of Times in his own video

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I mean, if Zero says so it has to be true.
I also like how je claimed that he was only Killed by Ivysaur Dair and UpAir, even though he got UpB-d, Fsmashed and Charizard Faired plenty of Times in his own video
I died at 71% as olimar from it, theres no need for that level of stupidity

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Can we talk about the main problem with competitive Pokemon Trainer? On every single set, the commentator always has to make a typing joke. We get it, Roy would beat Ivysaur in a Pokemon game. It's not that funny.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I suck with :ultsquirtle:. The other 2 are pretty good but I can't get behind this character. He feels so weird compared to :squirtle:.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Lately I have been playing a switch heavy Pokemon Trainer and I think it works pretty well. Sometimes I just use 1 to 3 attacks and then switch again, for a few times. E.G. throwing the opponent off stage with Zard, then if he recovers high edge guarding and juggling with Squirtle, then if he gets below me and tries to juggle me dodging his attack by switching to Ivysaur and then punishing with Bullet Seed, then switching to Zard and going for a KO. I've played like this a few ties in a match and it worked pretty well.

I do not mean playing the whole match like this. I mean just for a few seconds. Just making a quick round trip through the Pokemon while fighting before settling on a Pokemon again as in my example.

This way of playing seems pretty gimmicky but since switching is now very fast and a good way of dodging attacks it is doable. It worked pretty well when I tried it and it is a lot of fun playing that way.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Low key wish that when you respawned you stayed as the same Pokemon. So hypothetically I could play the full match as Ivysaur with no switching at all or something.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Didn’t know where else to go but...

Hey! I finally decided to commit to Pokémon Trainer ... more. I still don’t feel like dropping Sonic who has been my main since Brawl. (Though Pt was among my 3 faves back then too, and my main in the last days).

Megaman used to be my second, but if I had to be honest with myself, I have way more fun playing as PT.

I have a long way to go to catch up to all the crazy techs people should be pulling off by now.

Right now I feel most confident in Ivy and Charizard. I’m working on solo Squirtle a lot to be able to master him, because he feels little like his Brawl self. (Rip Dacus...)

Anyway, Pokémon Trainer was my most wanted veteran to return. Now I’ll be playing as him/her quite a lot. So happy with my 2 brawl favorites. Is there a discord server where other trainers hang out? Would love to learn new tricks.

Top Bottom