• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain's alternate specials! FALCON ALL!

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Made this thread because I didn't see another dedicated to discussing Cfalcon's alternate B moves, all of which are revealed and usable already.

BUT WHY WOULD YOU CHANGE FALCON'S ICONIC (BUT CRAP) B MOVES!?

All of the new specials retain the original flaming and manly Falcon flavor! You don't have to feel guilty about changing them!

All of his custom specials can be seen in the following video, will be posting timestamps for each special!

SO LETS BEGIN!

Dashing Falcon Punch (0:00)

A weak, less damaging (And less epic) Falcon Punch. Seems to have the best startup as regular, at best. When used, Falcon slides about a third of Final Destination, making it actually usable as option for punishing bad landings (Note: It will not slide offstage). It can be used in the air to soar like a falcon for good distance, greatly aiding high recoveries! It's safe from most Fair/Bair edgeguards since the hitbox is active during the entire travel and you can still act after it. Overall, a solid utility move that will save you from Sakurai Angle smashes (Most of them!) and let you rack up some extra damage as a punish. Seems like it would be quite good in FFA to hit several characters too!

Mega Falcon Punch (6:26)

A GIGANTIC FALCON PUNCH 3x THE SIZE, HELL YEAH! It sounds and looks amazing, but is sadly quite disappointing in practice. Dealing a good 22% damage with the usual startup, the move has far inferior Knockback, unlikely to kill until 100%+. The increased Hitbox won't make it all that much easier to hit, but even then it probably won't KO. Seems to be more for styling than anything else.
Falcon Kick Fury (2:35) (Or Falcon Drill!)

Multihit Falcon Kick. Has much lower Knockback than the original, changing it into a combo starters rather than a kill move. Deals a low 11% damage and pops the opponent up a bit, where you may be able to get a followup Utilt or Upair. Clanks with projectiles for almost no lag but won't go through them. It will go through shields much like the regular version, making it pretty safe to throw out at close-mid range. In the air, t will drag the opponent down for all of the hits, allowing a new "Falconcide". It has extreme landing lag and you are likely not going to get followups from the aerial version, likely unsafe on hit. One final note: It will go offstage when used by the ledge, letting you hit offstage enemies at great range, but I'm not sure how effective this actually is.

Lightning Falcon Kick (10:00) (Thunder Falcon)
Let's not forget the captain is not only a master of his inner flames, but also of electricity! An extremely quick but lower power version of the Falcon Kick, this will cross the screen in an instant and pop the opponent up for minor 12% damage. The Knockback is so low that you may never see it kill when used on the ground. The aerial edition has nice horizontal knockback and can be used to kill when near the ledge (It's actually surprisingly safe offstage). Definitely most reliable punish out of all the Falcon Kicks even if it's not much, this thing will get a whiffed jab!
There is a special property to this attack that makes it valuable: If you are to hit only with the shockwave from landing after the aerial version, the opponent will be paralyzed similar to a ZSS downsmash. This means you can follow it up, with yes, The Knee! The timing is really hard, but this is sure to impress any girl (or guy) if you pull it off.
Falcon Upper (3:28)

Pretty cool name for such a harmless move... Falcon shoots upward extremely rapidly (Think Lucario upB straight up). It goes much higher than the usual Dive, but it will not grab opponents to electrify them or say "YES!" so it ind of sucks in that aspect. It hits very weakly on the way up and t won't hit grounded opponents at all, this being just a bonus since you can just steal ledge in smash 4 by touching them(Still beats regular Dive). So yes, it's a far superior recovery, mainly in the vertical aspect. Combined with the Dashing Punch it is a very strong recovery, only failing when you're at semi spike angles. Since having a good upB without "YES!" takes away from what CFalcon represents, this move should never be used <.< But yeah, it's pretty decent.

Burst Falcon Dive (11:30) (YEEEEESSSS!)

Essentially a Falcon Punch version of UpB. Slow startup and short range, but if it hits... Oh man! Big 25% and kills potentially at 100% while being Unblockable O_O! The startup is horrible and you're unlikely to have good results with this out of shield... Or while recovering, but if you can figure out a way to land it then it's quite strong. Obvious drawback is having an EVEN WORSE Recovery, on the upside, it is quite manly and cool. Most likely not going to see much use >.<
Still have to test if it will stage spike edgeguarders like upB would in previous Smashes.
Heavy Raptor Boost (1:00) (CHAOS DUNK)

A much more manlier Raptor Boost! It hits harder and in SLOWMO! Looks very impactful and backs it up! Causes huge shield stun and shield damage while also hitting spotdodgers thanks to the delayed uppercut, making this a much safer alternative to the regular version; the aerial version reels back on hit, making it extra safe. The startup is about the same as regular, the difference being in the uppercut timing, it also looks much better! The aerial version meteors very very hard if hit close, the sourspot is still decently strong regardless. Hits for low 12% but the knockback is great, though not very different from original on the ground. SAFE RAPTOR BOOST WITH BETTER ANIMATION, USE.

Pullback Raptor Boost (7:00) (Wut...)

This one is uh... hard to explain. Falcon reels back a considerable distance before launching himself forward at super speed for a very long range Raptor Boost. The startup is pretty horrid but it's actually a net gain in range overall, enabling some long range punishes on landing opponents. The true magic of this move, though, comes from the aerial version which can fakeout edgeguards before flying a great distance forward; the result is like a Falco Phantasm/Fox Illusion in terms of recovery, which is a lot for this character.
Besides that, it is nothing special since it is very unsafe on block and the air version tends to miss and suck as well, use almost strictly for recovery purposes!

In conclusion, Captain Falcon has some of the best custom moves in the game! Sure, some are pretty bad... But so are his default ones. The majority of these alternate B moves offer unprecedented utility to what used to be some really situational/bad moves. Should customs become a tournament standard, this character would DEFINITELY change at least 2 moves, if not all 4!

Last edited:

platomaker

Smash Journeyman
Great post. I can definitely see those high reward moves prominent in this game's future.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
If the Gigantic Falcon Punch's hit-box was the entire flaming falcon, then I'd consider using it as a edge-guarding tool when on-stage against the opponent hanging on the ledge. Otherwise I will go with the Dashing Falcon Punch always!

Raptor Boost's Customs are interesting, because one's a mind-game that recovers amazingly (Pullback Raptor Boost) & the other seems to be the better version of Raptor Boost in terms of damage, but is less useful of a recovery (Heavy Raptor Boost). I'm probably going to roll with Heavy Raptor Boost because the active hit-box in the dash comes out slower punishing AirDodges & Spot-dodges & perhaps can be a super read off of a roll. It does a lot of damage & it's safe to do on block airborne & does great shield damage grounded. The meteor smash above all despite coming out later, is stronger & can KO relatively early I presume.

Falcon Dive's Customs seem. . .decent but meh. I'd probably stick with regular Falcon Dive, BUT they're both interesting. Falcon Upper does have a long-lasting hit-box despite losing the command grab feature so it's a good anti-air? Maybe not. Though Burst Falcon Dive is guaranteed powerful to the max dealing 25%! That seems like the best Custom command grab move in the game! However it's first active frame to put out the grab is so long you'd have to read Airdodge landings with this or whiffed edge-guards against you getting back on stage if they're that close. So again I'll stick with regular Falcon Dive.

Finally for Falcon Kick's Customs. . .I like both actually. Falcon Kick Fury didn't get a demonstration of it used off-stage so I can't say for sure fully aware of FKF's potential airborne & grounded, but the grounded attack impresses me. It clanks with projectiles but it only clanked with Mario's fireball because it's not a strong hit-box at the start-up but rather the finishing hit is at the end instead. It's safe on shield almost because it goes past without slowing down & it seemed to do more damage when used airborne landing on stage. Lighting Falcon Kick is just as interesting because I like the distance & the utility it provides that can be useful for landing shockstunning them in place. Best of all about Lighting Falcon Kick is that it's completely safe to do off-stage because it's ending stalls your falling speed almost stopping it. Idk actually, ATM I feel okay with using all 3 variations of Falcon Kick!

Last edited:

platomaker

Smash Journeyman
Koopalings down air has the same effect, have you tried just not getting that last hit? Like, get the opponent in such a way that they'd sooner die before the last hit registers? I don't play captain falcon, but dammit- I want this to exist!

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Falcon-cide confirmed to not work T_T Been trying the move offstage and it sends them upwards at the last hit, killing YOU only! Sadness...
I'm guessing the "Falcon-cide" we're talking about is Falcon Kick Fury?

I wouldn't expect that to falcon-cide except for going down that low to do it preventing the last hit since you both go past the blast line then BAM! Falcon-cide. Lemme know how that works out.:shades:

RvlvRBobcat

Smash Apprentice
I actually made a similar post due to custom moves being allowed in tournament, but not the stat changes. I'm deleting my post but I would like to know the options you guys think are really good. I may make a video of some of these techs in action against players.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Do any of the Raptor boost options meteor?
The Heavy Raptor Boost does meteor smash, but it feels so powerful it's borderline spike materal KO'ing much earlier. The timing & it's generally slow speed is what's going to require practice with connecting it successfully.

mlorenzo

Smash Journeyman
Lighting Falcon Kick can kill, just like normal Falcon kick. Just make sure it hits with the starting hitbox, and this move might have the potential for an infinite. I'm testing this at the moment.

Last edited:

-AtlaS-

Smash Rookie
I've actually had much success with the Giant Falcon Punch. Most people with counters arent used to the delay so I manage to land 3/5 pawnches against mediocre players. Plus it's kinda dope seeing that big bird send whoever is on the business end to the shadow realm.

mmkzer0

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4356-0534-6178
Some of the alternate B-Moves are really good (Mega Falcon Punch <3), but I rather stay at the standard moves :3

Lionman

Smash Champion
I used the follow custom moves in a daily wifi tourney yesterday (I placed 3rd of 19 entrants), the big Falcon punch and the Falcon uppercut (Up B)

The first one won me a round against a pretty skilled opponent, he grabbed the edge and i used him, guess what, he got hit and died, its a risky alternative to the u tilt but more rewarding, also, the extra range can hit opponents above you who cant be reached with the standard Falcon Punch,

The Falcon Uppercut surprised me, besides loosing some damage its incredible useful and flashy, way less predictable and less punishable than the standard Up B so if you hit them near the edge (For Ex in FD) when they try to edgeguard. You can surprise them and maybe get a kill because some people dont expect get hit by that (Like in FD edges)

I didnt tested in depht the other customs, Multihit Falcon kick seems interesting if it breaks shields, need to check Side B moves in Wifi, im not really interested in the other moves, cant see any use in 1 vs 1, maybe the 2nd Falcon punch for recovery purposes but not more.

Last edited:

The Pizza Guy

Smash Apprentice
Good to hear people are finding uses for mega falcon punch. Here I was thinking it was going to be more useless than the original

Top Bottom