• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the cape.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
hello.

i know aganst doc you are meant to come to the ledge backwards in preperation for the cape... but, how?

when recovering how do you turn around mid air without hurting your DI? or can you only really do this when comming directly from underneath the stage?

P.S. i dont actually have a GC anymore and only realy play in weekly tournys now. so forgive me if this has an obvious answer.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
you need to be hugging the stage or slightly under stages like pokemon stadium or battlefield. It doesn't hurt you if you just do it backwards and then DI toward the stage. The up-B has a lot of warp, so even if he doesn't cape you, you'll grab the edge

Also, just make sure you try to sweetspot. If you go too high with the up-b, you won't grab the ledge at all.

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
sweetspotting isnt your only hope, coming into the ledge with the regular up-b is fine but when you are about to be caped, hold the opposite direction, im pretty sure thats why ganons get killed by it so much, they try so much to DI to the stage b4 they get caped and then they keep holding toward the stage, thus helping the cape to kill ganon. if im wrong feel free to help me out.

Linguini

Smash Master
Aightt, you dont have to be hugging the wall of the stage to avoid the cape when your up- bing back wards. Do not sweetspot everytime, instead of doing this go higher but still do a reverse up -b the doc/mario will probably not predict it. Another option is air dodging right when you are level with the stage.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
wait. so you hit the control stick away from the stage.

A) befor you upB.
B) after you upB, right befor you are going to be caped.

it seems like KIngGerudo is saying A. but shurly that cant be right, because then we would see ganon switching direction twards wherever he is DIing.

it seems like Linguini is saying B. but that would mean that the doc could either let you fall to your death(because if you are low enough to need the ledge the doc can read you.) or let you land on the stage and smash you in your lag.

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
i am saying that when you get caped, whichever way you are DI'ing, you go in the opposite direction when you get caped, switching your DI at the second you get caped will most likely save you. Linguini is saying that when you are recovering, do the reverse up-b but dont sweetspot the edge, instead, go high than the ledge. the doc/mario will never expect you and even if they cape you, you still grab the ledge. I personally think this is risky so maybe air dodging onto the stage is way safer.

Magus420

Smash Master
If you try to come in low you also have invincible b-airs to worry about. I usually try to airdodge more often than not when possible. Just make sure you'll land on the stage if they cape your dodge unless you can get them to go for the ledge and try to b-air you by like starting to go low then double jumping and dodging diagonally up past them or something.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Aightt, you dont have to be hugging the wall of the stage to avoid the cape when your up- bing back wards. Do not sweetspot everytime, instead of doing this go higher but still do a reverse up -b the doc/mario will probably not predict it. Another option is air dodging right when you are level with the stage.
If you go higher and he doesn't cape, you'll die, simple as that. You won't even be able to DI onto the stage after that. Also, if you get caped in the first 3 frames (been a while since I counted this) of your airdodge, it will boost you in the opposite direction, making this also not a perfectly safe approach. Cautious Docs will be able to punish you bad either way.

sweetspotting isnt your only hope, coming into the ledge with the regular up-b is fine but when you are about to be caped, hold the opposite direction, im pretty sure thats why ganons get killed by it so much, they try so much to DI to the stage b4 they get caped and then they keep holding toward the stage, thus helping the cape to kill ganon. if im wrong feel free to help me out.
Even if you do manage to DI onto the stage somehow, the lag is so significant that Doc can just bthrow you or whatever he wants.

If you try to come in low you also have invincible b-airs to worry about
You can Fair Doc's Bair if you time space it right on the way down by DIing intelligently. However, only an inexperienced Doc will fall for this. Any others will just wait for you to do your up-B before Bairing.

Linguini

Smash Master
If you go higher and he doesn't cape, you'll die, simple as that. You won't even be able to DI onto the stage after that. Also, if you get caped in the first 3 frames (been a while since I counted this) of your airdodge, it will boost you in the opposite direction, making this also not a perfectly safe approach. Cautious Docs will be able to punish you bad either way.
I wasnt suggesting this as a constant option, just one of many. Using one approach would be much worse than lets say 3, especially with ganons recovery.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
plus if you fair below the stage you're most likely going to SD, where Doc could easily wall tech and recover.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
You can't f-air an invincible b-air because they are invincible from having WD->FF ledgegrabbed right before =P

The f-air is strong but not that beastly ;)
Sorry, I misunderstood you at first. The Doc I play hasn't done that too me before, I hope he doesn't find out :urg:

Top Bottom