• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the call to arms

ChaosSoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosSoul
3DS FC
2148-8364-1572
Link to original post: [drupal=5479]the call to arms[/drupal]

Recently I have been hearing that the Wii U is going to kill nintendo and I for one refuse to let this happen I know compared to the world we are few but united under one cause we can win anything. My question to you all is if Nintendo begins to die will you help them get back up or will you let it end up like atari i for one will not let it die and if you think this post is crazy then you are going to be the ones who are brave enoughph to say that it wont work just think about it and suport Nintendo

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
They won't die, that's just sensationalist garbage you hear.

It's a great console that will only get better.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Nintendo defined gaming for me. But that's the problem. For me, a kid formt he 90s.
Their success rate shrinks because Nintendo's taste differs alot from the children of this age.

Now if I let it die, I don't think I can do anything about it.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
They won't die, that's just sensationalist garbage you hear.

It's a great console that will only get better.
This SO MUCH
In my Game design/Gameplay class, we had to come up with game concepts that could potentially be pitched/used for upper class level design projects/be put in our portfolios....

I was the only one to use the WiiU as a potential system. For my concept, it could replace a start menu and get rid of clutter for the HUD, which is awesome!
It has the strongest specs at the moment, and the controller looks better and better by the day. There are a lot of possibilities, and the Game Pad could potentially take the place of start menus in some games...which means the pacing of the game will stay SUPER consistent.

I'm also a sucker for the fact that the system has 2GB RAM. Just...wow. That's a lot of power for a console x3 Me gusta <3 And with these real time rendering engines coming out.....ooooooo stuff is gonna turn out sooo nice on a powerful system <3

ndayday

BRoomer
That's definitely the thing that excites me the most too. The gamepad is sick, and it gets me giddy just thinking about how it'll work in a Zelda game or Metroid.

It was pretty awesome when I realized you can set the gamepad to literally have everything that's normally on the HUD during Assassin's Creed to just the gamepad. Having an HD screen completely clear of obstructions...it answers all my childhood questions of, "why is there so much stuff on the screen?"

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
That's definitely the thing that excites me the most too. The gamepad is sick, and it gets me giddy just thinking about how it'll work in a Zelda game or Metroid.

It was pretty awesome when I realized you can set the gamepad to literally have everything that's normally on the HUD during Assassin's Creed to just the gamepad. Having an HD screen completely clear of obstructions...it answers all my childhood questions of, "why is there so much stuff on the screen?"
So true.
It's sad to see that some gamers are pessimistic about this system. It's really a beautiful piece of hardware.

CLICK ME
^ Devs reactions

Full Unreal 3 and Unity support.

Also, BEST version of Arkham City apparently is wiiU version
me gusta

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I think what we should do to stop the inevitable destruction of Nintendo is buy all of the stock of Wiis and Wii Us so that Nintendo thinks everyone is buying their consoles (which they technically are) which will rebuild the Nintenconomy.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Why would you have to help them? It's not like you owe them anything. Quite frankly, I wished nintendo died out sooner before abominations like brawl and other m came out. Id prefer to see nintendo die out then continue on this losing streak they've been on.

:phone:

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I'm also a sucker for the fact that the system has 2GB RAM. Just...wow. That's a lot of power for a console x3 Me gusta <3 And with these real time rendering engines coming out.....ooooooo stuff is gonna turn out sooo nice on a powerful system <3
2 gigs of ddr3 ram is not exactly a giant boost up from the ps3/360.

Edit-In fact, according to these guys, it's worse: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500362

Wii U is not going to be good for third parties, imo. It's going to be aimed more towards casuals just like the wii, it's not going to try and compete directly with Microsoft and Sony. Temper your excitement.

Also hey Vkrm, really nice of you to wish for an entire company to go out of business because you didn't like some games they published/made. That doesn't sound incredibly immature at all.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
**** off. It's just my 2 cents in response to the OP.

I was aware of that.

The problem is that a single sentence to answer the op is about the same as saying nothing. You might as well just post " I like Nintendo" or "I had toast for breakfast".

Also, 2 cents won't get you anywhere in this economy.

C.SDK

Smash Ace
**** off. I do what I want.

The OP has already been answered so I don't need to say anything more than what I said and if you still think that's the worst thing ever, you can still **** off.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
I don't want them to go out of business. Ideally they'd go back to making good games. But honestly, The gaming industry no longer needs nintendo. There are many other companies that actually deserve consumers $$$$. They make decent games as opposed to milking nostalgia.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558

Unlike most, i'm not too bothered with the HUD, even in old games like Arena where it took up half the screen haha. I suppose it would have been nicer if it hadn't been so big but I didn't mind it too much.

I think if you're gonna have HUD, the best amount (not too big, not too small and I know i'm referring to elder scrolls again) is probably what they did in Oblivion.

Some games (like D&D), it's nice to have all this stuff around you. <3

NOW on to the actual topic, I highly doubt Nintnedo is gonna die anytime soon. Last quarter has been the company's only drop in a very, very long time iirc. This quarter I think they're doing fine again. In any case, Nintendo is still releasing their favourite franchises and making a few new ones... honestly, I think Nintendo will be here for a long time.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Quite frankly, I wished nintendo died out sooner before abominations like brawl and other m came out. Id prefer to see nintendo die out then continue on this losing streak they've been on.
I don't want them to go out of business.
O__o

Is everyone in this thread losing their minds today or something? Awful replies, whatever the **** it is Vkrm is doing, someone actually being excited for 2gigs of ram, etc.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Read what I posted instead of finding snippets you don't like.

Id prefer to see nintendo die out then continue on this losing streak they've been on.

I don't want them to go out of business. Ideally they'd go back to making good games.
It'd be great if nintendo could go back to cranking out masterpieces. What I really want is for them to reclaim the magic they had before instead systematically targeting an audience With marketing strats. But in my mind they have already been replaced by more capable game devs, so I'm not exactly stressing over it.

ndayday

BRoomer
We all know Sakurai is to blame for Brawl, though!

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
O__o

Is everyone in this thread losing their minds today or something? Awful replies, whatever the **** it is Vkrm is doing, someone actually being excited for 2gigs of ram, etc.
DUDE JUST LEMME HAVE MY MOMENTS OF EXCITEMENT ; x ;
2GB RAM in a system that isnt a computer is a new and shiny thing for poor little Lokii
cant i just have nice things, Falcon? ; ~ ;
(and i was hoping theyd do more with that 2GB.....nintendo dont let me down, bros)

Also theres the whole thing of people having elitism over opinions/tastes in games =/= good games
but thats a whole other argument i'd rather not have . _ .;
nintendo still makes shiny things
its all okay

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
DUDE JUST LEMME HAVE MY MOMENTS OF EXCITEMENT ; x ;
2GB RAM in a system that isnt a computer is a new and shiny thing for poor little Lokii
cant i just have nice things, Falcon? ; ~ ;
(and i was hoping theyd do more with that 2GB.....nintendo dont let me down, bros)
I don't let people have nice things.

Also the Wii U's ram is still pathetic lol.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Nintendo kinda reminds me of the WWE,

Bunch of dinosaurs really. Big business dinosaurs are the worst. They keep all of the worst of the old, and refuse to adopt all good parts of the new.

So basically it's worst of both worlds.

It's why I hate corporate structure on creative/artistic endeavours. I'm hugely in favour of business, but it definitely sterilises creativity and dynamic progress.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Nintendo is a company which makes products geared more towards families and kids. That stopped appealing to us after we outgrew childhood, but before we had children of our own.

I know that I resented Nintendo's refusal to cater to my 20-something-year-old demands as a gamer, but that's not their thing. Microsoft and Sony are there for that. Now that I have a son, I'm super-happy that Nintendo is still making products that I can share with him. The only time I play my Wii is with my son, but that's fine. That's what it's for.

Nintendo will always be around, because someday most (if not all) of the people shouting "Nintendo is doomed!" will have children, and then they'll understand why Mario has endured for 30 years while most other game mascots have faded away.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Nintendo is a company which makes products geared more towards families and kids. That stopped appealing to us after we outgrew childhood, but before we had children of our own.

I know that I resented Nintendo's refusal to cater to my 20-something-year-old demands as a gamer, but that's not their thing. Microsoft and Sony are there for that. Now that I have a son, I'm super-happy that Nintendo is still making products that I can share with him. The only time I play my Wii is with my son, but that's fine. That's what it's for.

Nintendo will always be around, because someday most (if not all) of the people shouting "Nintendo is doomed!" will have children, and then they'll understand why Mario has endured for 30 years while most other game mascots have faded away.
To expand upon that, some of the people who grew up with Nintendo prefer Nintendo's style over the modern gaming standard set by the Playstation and Xbox. Myself for instance; I simply don't enjoy realistic games with better graphics. I have no desire to play games like GTA, CoD, Red Dead, Dark Knight. The games I do like on those consoles are unrealistic or whimsical games like the Fable franchise and I'll be getting Ni No Kuni on PS3. When it comes to Nintendo though, I just enjoy it more. I like Pokemon, Metroid, Zelda, Mario etc because they're the kinds of games I grew up on. Despite changing them a bit (arguably for the worst from the perspective of nostalgia-factor), they still hold the core features that I grew up on.

So, if Nintendo went out of business, I'd probably stop being a gamer. Maybe I'd actually do something with myself, but who knows.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I try not to be some kind of nostalgia **** but I honestly think some of Nintendo's main franchises haven't been so great this gen (Skyward Sword/TP being my fave examples!), but that's just like, my opinion man. Not to mention that opinion doesn't even seem to be shared with the masses so if you're part of the masses, I'd just chill out, man.

Either way I definitely want a Wii U just for Pikmin 3. I ****ing love Pikmin.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I'm with you on the statement that latest iterations of Nintendo's franchises sucked this gen. Skyward Sword was meh for the most part. Twilight Princess is actually my favorite, but I acknowledge it's a step down from Ocarina of Time on a lot of levels. Marios haven't been great, Pokemons haven't been great, etc etc etc.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I dunno about pokemon IMO. I liked that they tried a different route with the story and it did achieve a better sense of depth... I can't comment more on the story and I can't give exactly how deep it went because while I wanted to experience the whole thing and absorb stuff, I finished the entire game in a few days. Contrasting to FFX which I spent hundreds of hours on, thus why I feel FFX is actually a pretty decent game.

D

Deleted member

Nintendo is going to be fine. If there's any video game console maker you should be worried about, it's Sony.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer

And this man here gets awards.

----

Also, for us having to worry about Sony....
...Yeah I wouldnt worry about them too much. They were off to a VERY slow start with the PS3, but it actually has ended up having some pretty strong games and has a STELLAR lineup for 2013 (Last of Us holy crap take my money nowwww)
And for a system that was thought to be doing poorly in the console race, it's actually pretty close with the 360 in sales, despite being the baby console (PS3 being released a year after the 360) and despite having a rocky start

Vita on the otherhand....
Vita has a lot of untapped potential....but it wasn't taken advantage of by Sony in all honesty : / I could see them dropping out of the portable consoles race, but never the home console race.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Yeah, Sony hasn't been doing too hot with the Vita. I just don't think they supported it like Nintendo did, as well as the PSP. The only friend of mine that had a PSP only had it so they could hack it and play their old SNES games on it. I can only remember one friend that actually bought the thing for the games.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
You guys are forgetting a couple of things. Ps2's are STILL selling pretty well, and Sony does other things besides making games. Out of the two of them nintendo is more likely to go bankrupt. For Sony its impossible, and it's very unlikely for nintendo. I don't think nintendo can afford to target just kids anymore. They sold hella wiis at launch by targeting the casual audience but that hurt them in the long run. Casuals don't buy that many games. So many people I know bought the wii, played wiisports, then shelved their wii until Zelda SS.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
You guys are forgetting a couple of things. Ps2's are STILL selling pretty well, and Sony does other things besides making games. Out of the two of them nintendo is more likely to go bankrupt. For Sony its impossible, and it's very unlikely for nintendo. I don't think nintendo can afford to target just kids anymore. They sold hella wiis at launch by targeting the casual audience but that hurt them in the long run. Casuals don't buy that many games. So many people I know bought the wii, played wiisports, then shelved their wii until Zelda SS.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/22/sony-credit-downgraded-to-junk

Do you know for a fact that the wii hurt them in the long run or are you using anecdotal evidence?

That's a serious question.

Also they sold literally over twice the amount that 360 did on its first week with the Wii U, please, someone do tell me how that somehow means THE CASUAL MARKET ISN'T RELIABLE, MAAAAN.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
At launch. Also factor in how much more money xbox makes off customers who buy games regularly and have to pay to use the online service. And of course the casual market isn't reliable. Look at how guitar hero and rock band dominated the industry then died almost instantly.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
That's a rather hilarious over simplification of what happened to Guitar Hero.

The fact that you continue to refuse to actually quote some kind of stats makes me think you are indeed going off of nothing but your own personal view on a few specific events.

Nintendo is not in trouble at all financially, not even kinda. Sony actually has ****ing problems, there's a reason why people are constantly reporting on how they're struggling to deal with competitors, they lost a **** ton of money on the ps3 for a long time while no one even kinda brings that kind of **** up with Nintendo. You're using wishful thinking, you think that they have to go back to core gamers to make money because that would mean they'll start pumping out good titles again. But they don't, and they have proved that with the Wii U's launch sales alone.

I love your pathetic attempting at rebuking that with just "at launch". Oh wow, that totally makes it invalid now! Sure it demonstrates that they have an audience that is still interested in what they have and they don't show signs of really slowing down, but lol guitar hero died, man.

ndayday

BRoomer
When you're shelling out $1,200 to people for finding a PS3 on a shelf you're bound to be in a bad position, amirite?

Top Bottom