• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The C-Stick

SlayerOfEvil

Smash Apprentice
For awhile now, my friend and I have been going back and forth about the c-stick. He HATES it with a passion, calling it "cheap, repetitive, and dishonorable." I say its alright to use because "Its been put into the game! If Nintendo didn't want you using it, why would they have that option to you? Heck, its in there, and it makes you react with faster attacks, go for it."

So after he showed me a forum that debates about the c-stick, I thought I should get everyone's opinions about it as well.

What do you think? The c-stick perfectly fine to use? Or wrong to use? Why?

Let the debates begin...

Barbeque

Smash Journeyman
If you do a smash attack with the A button and not charge it at all (let go of it right after pressing it), it comes out at the exact same speed as if you used the c-stick.

I only use the c-stick depending on the situation and for SHFFLing U-airs.

I hate it when people go on about the c-stick being stronger then just using the A button more than anything else in SSBM.

darkgirku

Smash Journeyman
Lol, I say if someone complains about the C-stick retaliate by complaining that the x and y buttons are cheap and only tapping up on the control stick should be allowed.. ;)

SlayerOfEvil

Smash Apprentice
let him know that pros use the c-stick.

in fact the majority of competitve smashers do. and nobody complains.

also tell him no johns.
I have, and he said, "pros are f---ing ******* who do whatever it takes to win".

And when I said "stop making up excuses"....worst idea i've ever had because I had my eardrum blow up from all the complaining :mad:. So I just keep doing it to him to irritate him.

whitegaurd

Smash Apprentice
Well it might be useful if he met fellow smashers that use the c-stick and think that it is useful. I once thought that using the c-stick would take the fun out of the game. Boy was I wrong, it actually makes it funner, you could move faster, shffl, "smash faster" etc. Make him try it, show him the advantages of the c-stick. And if he continues to ***** about it, just stop playing him.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
Ask him how he fairs while DIing backwards, bairs while DIing forwards, or double stick techs

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
It's not DI, and it's not like they're physically impossible to do. </contrarian> :p
Use what you want is my vote. Anyone who's going to get upset over it isn't worth arguing with.

Since I started playing this game 1 player, I got used to charging them/smashing with the A and Control Stick, but later when I found in VS that the c stick was a shortcut I hopped between the two.
I figure the C-Stick isn't cheap. It's there for a reason like these good people said. If they stand in the middle of the stage and push the c stick in the direction you are coming from then they really don't know how to play and it's lame there because there is no strategy.
BUT if the C- stick is placed in the middle of a combo, finisher for a combo, or in a place that will torture the opponet, then it is amazing and pro. I can see how your friend may think it's cheap, but he might just have bad timing and you might have good timing. Don't know. Just take it for what it's worth: C sticking isn't cheap.

jas3

Smash Apprentice
i think i heard azen doesn't either, not like it matters anyway. i'm sure if it bettered their game, they would use it. i would with money on the line.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I use it for a lot of things. As a Marth main C-Stick is very important to me. It is not cheap or dishonorable. Anyone who believes that there is a such thing as cheapness or honor will probably never be good at this game. Now if he doesn't care about getting better than then his loss but for those of us who do care, he needs to get rid of that notion.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I wouldn't play with this kid if I were you. He has no clue what's up.

Keep using the C-stick for whatever you want.

Tell that kid to buck off.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I used to resist the C-stick for the same reasons, until I realized it's so useful for so many things, some of which can't be done without it (such as a perfect forward-moving back air). The main reason I picked it up was for ASDI and double-stick DI. It's perfect rolls, spot-dodges, and throws are also extremely useful. Once I was already using it, I now also use it for aerials and smashes. It's pretty hard to shffl uairs without it.

The C-stick: the ultimate guide by AustinP

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
If that kid is screaming at you and gets all violent stop playing with him, even if that means you have no one to play with. I dont use the c-stick and i am good, its all about preference. My brother accuses me of using the c-stick because i dont blink yellow and i initiate faster than the c-stick, he is not the only one though. He is a competitive smasher i am underground, he is fast though.

the CRAB

Smash Cadet
i wouldnt put up with your friend. i can remember exactly how it was said, but in the king's guide to doubles, he said there's no such thing as cheap in smash. only effective.

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
If your friend yells at you and gets beligerent because of minor stuff what will happee when there is something major? Attempted murder? Murder? Get away from him, he is crazy!

Link he come to town...

Smash Apprentice
I don't use the c-stick at all and I don't think it's cheap or anything, I'm sure using it would improve my game but I haven't reached a match yet where I've needed it, except maybe 1 and the guy stopped playing. That and I'm not used to it. The only thing that's unsportsmanlike in this game is like... kicking your opponent while you guys play so they lose...

4 Aces

Smash Ace
It's pretty hard to shffl uairs without it.
I don't think it's hard to do. I think it's fairly easy to do, except maybe in a heated situation, so yeah, c-stick is good for that situation. BTW, I like your signature.

I don't use the c-stick at all and I don't think it's cheap or anything, I'm sure using it would improve my game but I haven't reached a match yet where I've needed it, except maybe 1 and the guy stopped playing. That and I'm not used to it. The only thing that's unsportsmanlike in this game is like... kicking your opponent while you guys play so they lose...
Same here, except I can't use c-stick, because I just can't do it without messing up. I've been deprived of c-stick for far too long. It would help me, but I just can't seem to get it down. I've been able to use the c-stick for cc'ing and upsmashing out of shield (well, I'm trying to get it down). Another unsportsmanlike is pulling the controller out the socket or out of the other person's hands. Or pressing reset when you're losing.

Top Bottom