• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Burning Digimon Dinosaur - Agumon for Smash - Digimon Survive 2020

MattX20

Smash Hero
Huh, I didn't know Digimon was a namco thing. Personally if Agumon gets in then I hope Gatomon is in too.
Actually, Bandai is the main owner of Digimon. However, since their merger with Namco on their games division, Agumon could certainly be used to represent the Bandai half of the company if KOS-MOS doesn't make the cut.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Next week Digimon will have a Live Stream.
They will reveal more things, not just for that game.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I am ALL for Agumon as a playable character in Smash!!

A big element of Smash Bros. is rivalries, we have Mario vs. Sonic, Link vs. Cloud, Samus vs. Megaman, Donkey Kong vs. Pac-Man, etc., etc. One other rivalry in gaming history is most definitely Pokemon vs. Digimon. Though the games themselves are very very different, one an RPG and the other a digital pet keychain (which I do count as a video game, so you could say Agumon orginated as a game character), the franchises eventually gained a very strong rivalry with their toys, cards, television shows, and eventually video games too. And seeing Pikachu vs. Agumon to represent that rivalry would be perfect. Heck, include digivolution as part of Agumon's active moveset and we could even have a great rivalry with Greymon vs. Charizard!!

And that digivolution as part of Agumon's active moveset is what makes me so excited for the character. Perhaps a gameplay gimmick sort of like Lucario's, or rather, Wario's waft, heh... where as the more time you spend in battle the more you digivolve. Starting as Agumon, then becoming Greymon, then finally MetalGreymon, with WarGreymon as the Final Smash (where we then see in a quick animation the character return to Botamon, then quickly to Koromon, and then back to the standard Agumon). But in order for this character to really work, the moveset ought to stay the same throughout each digivolution, only getting stronger and more powerful along the way. Agumon, Greymon, and MetalGreymon all sharing the same moves, just leveled up versions with each new form. So yeah, like Lucario's Aura or Wario's Waft, it'd be a character that's always evolving through a fight the longer the fight... err... Digivolving.

Along with a Digimon rep, there really should be a rep for the bigger and more culturally important Bandai franchise, Tamagotchi. Perhaps a stage or an Assist Trophy (those little cracked egg keychains are pretty iconic after all, and could make a fun setting for a battle arena). Or perhaps the AT (most likely Mametchi, since that's the Tamagotchi mascot) could involve the little digital pet taking a poop, followed immediately by a FLUSH, which could push opponents off the edge of the stage, hah!

But yeah, Tamagotchi may be the bigger icon, but Digimon is the bigger one in terms of fighting, and in terms of rivalries with Pokemon. Either way, would love to see them both in Smash Bros, especially with Bandai/Namco involved.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Actually, Bandai is the main owner of Digimon. However, since their merger with Namco on their games division, Agumon could certainly be used to represent the Bandai half of the company if KOS-MOS doesn't make the cut.
Huh. I always thought Digimon was a Toei franchise. When people keep bringing Agumon up as being possible I was confused. I liked Digimon Adventure when I was younger and Gatomon was my favorite. If Agumon in Smash means we can combat the typical Heihachis and Soras which I hope never get in smash (Because both are just generic human anime dudes and the latter is from a company that should belong in your tv, not your nintendo systems) and we can get more unique characters physical appearance wise, AND Gatomon can have some sort of assist trophy or whatever then I will follow this thread.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Even more proof that Agumon is the definitive mascot of the franchise.
They put him again as the protagonist's Digimon.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
You're thinking too small. If Pokemon gets pokeballs the Digimon deserves the memory chips (basically SD cards) from season 6. They definitely one of Gatomon's forms.
I doubt third-parties would get much more than a character or an assist. Nothing more. But chips would be nice. I'd like to see the major characters like Devimon as one of the chip.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
A new image from the Switch Game battle sistem!
Some rumors say that we may have all Digimon in a game for the first time.

DigimonSwitch.jpg

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Considering every mode and recolor are their own Digimon, while it's not over 9000, it sure as hell is high.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Curiously, I saw some people on Twitter comparing the Digimon game logo with the Smash Bros Ultimate logo.
What do you think?

digimon-survive-reveal-pn-n.jpg

super-smash-bros-ultimate-ssbu-logo-white-750x400.jpg

super_smash_bros_special_e3_2018_japan.jpg

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I sometimes question whether Agumon has the standing to get in over Heihachi.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I sometimes question why people think Heihachi has any standing.
Some people think Heihachi is the most likely new Namco rep (if there is one) just because he was considered for Smash 4 and was a Mii Fighter costume.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
One thing I'll say when it came to Smash 4 is that Agumon can't be fully realized with an Evolution mechanic due to the 3DS. This is not a Wwitch issue as transformations are back. I just wonder what the best way to do it is. Constant evolutions? Using Card Slash moves like Tamers(similar to how Pac-Man can change his shape or kind of like Corrin to a degree)?

Because any transformation requires a moveset with tons of animations. So making it work is not easy. That's why I feel it has to be done while not being a huge time sink in making it work.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Ah, so that's why people consider him over the more obvious Devil Jin. That makes a lot of sense but still isn't a reason to put him ahead of other Namdai franchises, IMO. Only of those in his own.
Yeah. Heihachi is just as likely as a lot of Namco characters. And, since he's dead in his own franchise, he has no future. Also, it would be weird to have a franchise be solely represented by its lead villain.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah. Heihachi is just as likely as a lot of Namco characters. And, since he's dead in his own franchise, he has no future. Also, it would be weird to have a franchise be solely represented by its lead villain.
The "had no future" was not just referring to veterans in general, but more 1st/2nd parties. 3rd parties were never talked about when it came to a guideline like that. Them having "gaming history" was actually something to take into consideration.

Also, him wanting Geno is proof it isn't exactly some criteria he cares about.

Graizen

Smash Champion
This looks like a Agumon Amiibo!

Agumon.jpg

Actualy, a Agumon amiibo would work with the Digimon Survive game.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
ToyAgumon alts would be good too. Regular and Shadow are simple enough. ClearAgumon is too easy to tell from regular ToyAgumon, so...
As much as Shadow Agumon and Snow Agumon would be cool I think he might suffer the same fate of pac man who has to be yellow as he would be coming from the same company.

Wouldn’t expect less form people who copyright the ability to play mini games during loading screens

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
As much as Shadow Agumon and Snow Agumon would be cool I think he might suffer the same fate of pac man who has to be yellow as he would be coming from the same company.

Wouldn’t expect less form people who copyright the ability to play mini games during loading screens
Key difference is these are official colors. For instance, Sonic's dark alt is possibly Dark Sonic from Sonic X(unconfirmed, but it's a severely different color). But yeah, I could see the Lego-style alts not being in and colors only. But there's more than enough colors to work with. Snow and Shadow aren't the only Rookies to go off of. Or in general. Could have red due to him being able to digivolve into Tyrannomon, for instance.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Key difference is these are official colors. For instance, Sonic's dark alt is possibly Dark Sonic from Sonic X(unconfirmed, but it's a severely different color). But yeah, I could see the Lego-style alts not being in and colors only. But there's more than enough colors to work with. Snow and Shadow aren't the only Rookies to go off of. Or in general. Could have red due to him being able to digivolve into Tyrannomon, for instance.
I like thinking the Dark Somic is from Sonic the fighters.

But I guess I didn’t think about it official recolouring of the character in question would be allowed.

But than dark spin Sonic from secret rings is it because it’s a transformation

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I like thinking the Dark Somic is from Sonic the fighters.

But I guess I didn’t think about it official recolouring of the character in question would be allowed.

But than dark spin Sonic from secret rings is it because it’s a transformation
Those are much more different colorations. Dark Spine Sonic would have a red streak as well. It's much closer to the Sonic X version. But the point is they do use official alternate colors if they exist either way. They don't exist for Pac-Man at all, so...

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Those are much more different colorations. Dark Spine Sonic would have a red streak as well. It's much closer to the Sonic X version. But the point is they do use official alternate colors if they exist either way. They don't exist for Pac-Man at all, so...
Yeah don’t think PAC man has any form of an alt colour or costume. Miss pac man but that’s a different character imo

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What is odd because pac man was made to get girls in arcades

Who was she made by
I forgot the exact people, but they basically recreated Pac-Man and used a look alike, for the Atari if I remember right. So there was a battle of the IP rights. Namco won, due to it clearly being a retool of the character's image.

Zekersaurus

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2027 5431 0731
well when you think about it he was half the size of kids younger than link
True, but Agumon can be different sizes. In data squad he was bigger than in Adventure and in the first digimon movie Agumon was as big as a grown man. I assume if Agumon was in smash he would be like an amalgam of all his appearances

Top Bottom