• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta The "Bowser Matchups" Thread

Mukk

Smash Rookie
have a hard time with the ice climbers... my friends plays them like a god and i get chain grabed harshly..... plusss if i and im a level with two sides... like onnet or green greens i get punished very badly i tech but it does no good.... i get down smashed into oblivion....helppp

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
ftilt spam plus up b! haha

seriously, it works.

dash grab + bthrow pretty much owns nana's face off because shes dead in like half a hit from bowser, but they have chain w/o that, just play a solid platform game and avoid getting grabbed, and in the case of ice climbers, thats a perfectly reasonable thing to do, they have pretty poor arials and a pretty predictable approach, just dont get caught off guard by desync stuffs

SoxSoxy1

Smash Cadet
Alright I skimmed the thread and didnt see anything about avoiding Fox's shine. I have a hard time when Im sent off the edge at low %(usually 20-30) and being intercepted by a shine that pushes me too far out to recover. Also, when I shield a Fox u-smash or f-smash sometimes I can't shield grab cause the attack pushes him away just out of range.Any advice?

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Well you can't really "avoid" foxes shine.. your big, and your a nice shine target for him in the air.. in essence that whole match-up is getting him off the edge and killing him, bowser has so many edgeguarding trixies its insane.. i'll let gimpy handle this since i gotta go do some housework for a lil

SoxSoxy1

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah it seems guarding space animals is fairly easy.I've known about the angled F-Tilt for a while but never incorparated it.I usually prefere the sweetspotted B-air but the F-tilts seem easier,and oh so effective.I also kinda like the D-smash to edge guard the phantsm.Im having a really hard time learning to shuffle my airials though.It seems i just end up wave landing or mot getting the L-cancal.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
You can't waveland Bowsers aerials haha, idk what your saying their, do you mean you don't get the moves off in time?

Try using a flame cancel too, it screws up sweetspotting spacies so hxc

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Unfortunately you've picked one of the harder match-ups for bowser main...

DK cargo throw up-air chain is destructive on bowser

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
avoid shine? fortress can get you out of most initial shines but once he gets you with shine i mean he can basically do whatever he wants (which is probably a couple shines then a grab up throw up air, or an up smash) obviously everyone said edgeguarding is easy as pie already...

for the fsmash/usmash (i dont really get fsmash you can sheildgrab that one just fine, maybe you are light sheilding) you can actually short hop klaw, that tends to work pretty well, obviouly dont be to greedy with that one they start spotdodging and you gotta mix up your timing, you can just empty short hop at them into ground fotress if you'd like to be safer (only from a spot you can cancel of course) but generally the klaw tends to land so whateva...

what kinda hax bowser are you doing that can short hop arial into waveland? oh wait nvm i know what kind, the version where you accidentally picked luigi lol

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i just like brinstar vs spacies haha its bad for them but not for bowser XD

uhhhhh yoshi's is the standard bowser counterpick, but i prefer something more abnormal that people aren't used to, even though i really like my yoshis story haha

i've been thinkin of using japes a lot more actually

Shin Bowser Meow

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinBowserMeow
3DS FC
4184-3865-2383
How does a Bowser beat Ganon? fought one recently and had zero clue on how to fight him. My adv tech skill is almost perfect. Need to master fortresshogging from the middle of a stage. Thanx in advance.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
actually spacing isn't the most important aspect of that match, ganon by far outranges bowser haha

you gotta be faster than ganon (ganon is poopy slow haha), once you grab him he should be dead through tech chase until you can get him off the ledge

once he is off, ggz ganon.

again i gotta go to school i'll elaborate later

Gray

Smash Journeyman
actually spacing isn't the most important aspect of that match, ganon by far outranges bowser haha

you gotta be faster than ganon (ganon is poopy slow haha), once you grab him he should be dead through tech chase until you can get him off the ledge

once he is off, ggz ganon.

again i gotta go to school i'll elaborate later
Um... That doesn't make any sense. Ganon's faster than Bowser and has basically equal edgeguarding, if not better. And he also has a better grab game. :dizzy:

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
ganon isn't faster than bowser, and if ganon is off regardless of his positioning he is dead. period. the same is not true for bowser, not in any way, and no, his edge game isn't better than bowsers

he has a different grab game, bowser is going to get kills at a lot lower % than ganon will get on bowser

Gray

Smash Journeyman
ganon isn't faster than bowser, and if ganon is off regardless of his positioning he is dead. period. the same is not true for bowser, not in any way, and no, his edge game isn't better than bowsers

he has a different grab game, bowser is going to get kills at a lot lower % than ganon will get on bowser
Ganon: o noez how do i edgeguard teh boozer?!?!?
*reverse uairz boozer*
HOLY **** THAT'S HARD!
How is bowser faster than ganon? I know about fortress, but I think that's seriously the only faster move. And his edgeguarding game is better because he has more reach, and reverse uair is ****, because Bowser's vertical recovery is laughable. Ganon can chainthrow with dthrow; Bowser... well, he just looks like some rapist when he does it. Yes, he will be getting kills at lower %s. But it's not that much lower. Plus that applies to every single matchup he has, even Shiek. And I think we all know how THAT goes...

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i guess bowser always sweetspots and gets uair edgeguarded and has no hope for recovery ever, my bad. you clearly know the matchup better.

yes, ganon ***** bowser in combos, but he is also by far the easiest character in the game to kill as bowser. BY. FAR.

Gray

Smash Journeyman
i guess bowser always sweetspots and gets uair edgeguarded and has no hope for recovery ever, my bad. you clearly know the matchup better.

yes, ganon ***** bowser in combos, but he is also by far the easiest character in the game to kill as bowser. BY. FAR.
It's not like Bowser is going to miss an edgeguard either mirite? Besides, that' not ALL he can do, obviously. He has ftilt, fair, bair, you name it. Both have good edgeguarding and crappy recovories. I think everyone agrees on that. But how is ganon so easy to kill?
And I never said I knew the matchup better. >_> It's just that you've been saying "bowser is better" as an argument with no real back-up.

budahboi

Smash Apprentice
It's not like Bowser is going to miss an edgeguard either mirite? Besides, that' not ALL he can do, obviously. He has ftilt, fair, bair, you name it. Both have good edgeguarding and crappy recovories. I think everyone agrees on that. But how is ganon so easy to kill?
ganons always sweet spot as well. because ganons upb is so slow you can time and space a fsmash. that. or edgehog. or if they airdodge you can easily ftilt in his directon.

Gray

Smash Journeyman
Ganon< Bowser... yea that seems to be all gimpy has said... WTF read his posts *******
Lol, GJ keeping your cool there. I have yet to hear how he's faster, or how he's so much harder to kill when Bowser has a bad recovery himself...
I honestly don't give a crap who wins this matchup, I just wanted a good debate, Jesus. >_>; But since that's not allowed I guess I'll stop talking about this.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
No you didn't bring up a debate, you said that we haven't said anything about the match-up when we've covered a lot of things,

Look with bowser you have a better ledge game period and a lot of bowsers game revolves in fortress cancelling ledge trixies, and again once you get a ganon off the edge he's dead no matter what unless your brain dead.

Ganon can't just U-air a bowser because with DI you go up and can fortress over him, bowser has a pretty versatile recovery considering if you DI high enough you can just DI and then bowser bomb, or just fortress over him.

Is it a hard match-up yes, is it winnable, most certainly, and it may even be completely even or in bowsers favor, kills at 20 percent anyone?

Gray

Smash Journeyman
Not like you care but I apoligize for that statement about Gimpy not saying anything about the matchup.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Hey i don't really care i was just busting your chops, no need to apologize i'm actually pretty laid back :chuckle:

Then again Gimpy can get WICKED temperamental haha jk

_clinton

Smash Master
Yoshi vs. Bowser, man that match is hard... Yoshi has so many things over Bowser that it's not funny

the eggs= Bowser's d-day (not talking about ww2 ok)

well there are some things that I found effective Bowser's normal air attack, Yoshi's shield is bad (his defense moves are bad in general) that the shell spin works very well on him. But that is just for me.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I think we touched on it really briefly.. idk your up i think i wrote down the last match-up... idk which came first.. GaW or your guide on Weeg.... Idk you take it though your more familier with the match-up.. considering i haven't played even a semi-good Yoshi.. just sayin :chuckle:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Gimpy, will you place all the major character matchup information information on the first page? Typical smashboarders don't read through 8 pages of stuff.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
typical smashers only show us at page 3 right now, just fyi

i might go through and put some info in the first post though eventually

Gojira

Smash Lord
Alright I skimmed the thread and didnt see anything about avoiding Fox's shine. I have a hard time when Im sent off the edge at low %(usually 20-30) and being intercepted by a shine that pushes me too far out to recover. Also, when I shield a Fox u-smash or f-smash sometimes I can't shield grab cause the attack pushes him away just out of range.Any advice?
I have had thsi happen to me.

While have not tried it, i hear a wavedash out of sheild and forttress or grab may just work.

Top Bottom