• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta The "Bowser Matchups" Thread

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
alright, I thought i'd try and make an actual USEFUL thread for these here bowser boards. basically i'll upadate this first post with advice from all of you bowser players on specific matchups.

I'd also like to keep the replies pretty serious, like vs shiek i dont wanna hear any "punch him in the faces" or anything like that, not here. haha I'm normally the first to reply something like that anyways, but lets try and keep this intelligent.

anyways, whoever posts first gets to decide what matchup we discuss first, you can post your thoughts and i'll post how I approach the matchup so we can all get abetter understanding of differnt playstyles and ways to work around the matchups that bowser is faced with.

all of us will have better knowledge of bowser and it'll be woohoo for us bowser players eh?

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
The best way for Bowser to defeat Sheik is with a swift kick to the ovaries. :nerd:

But seriously, we're supposed to be talking about (:bowser: vs:mario:)

Sadly, I don't know much about the Mario matchup because I've never played a really good Mario. These videos should help, they're vids of a Bowser player (Simna) vs a Mario player (Egghead or something like that.)

Here's the link.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=96709

I'm sure someone else here would be able to give good advice vs Marios >.>

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
umm infinitely better videos than that i'm sure are the me vs eggz money matches seen in my bowser videos topic lol

anyways spacing is very very key in this matchup, his down air will go through pretty much everything you have if you dont space properly so make sure you keep yourself spaced enough away where you can exploit his lack of range. this isn't a "let him attack then punish him in the air" type of character, his arials are nice and quick and vs a good mario blindly jumping at him will lead to a SERIOUSLY painful combo. Also his up tilt CAN GO THROUGH YOUR FAIR if you dont space it perfectly and his up smash can stop the klaw because of the invincibilty, just be careful when you approach him and from what angles.

mario combos the crap out of bowser (but what doesn't) up b doesn't kill him to early, fair doesn't kill him to early... if he uses his fireballs right he is hard to edgeguard, getup attack edgeguard i personally think is a dumb idea vs most chars, but vs mario its especially stupid. go for the antisweetspot back air edgeguard over the down angled ftilt, that will never hit mario if he sweestpots correctly because of his amazing warp, and in the lag time after your ftilt expect a dair in your face and a combo to happen after, unless you are at high %, then expect dair -> fsmash/dsmash. most chars with bowser i'd prefer to just bthrow into edgeguard, i'm not sure i like that as much vs mario because he's got some random tricky stuff, its probably better to dthrow tech chase to try and get a smash attack eventually. you can exploit mario's stubby arms and legs with fsmash occasionally, its not to hard to tell when he is spacing arials.

Shieldgrabbing mario tends to not work at all if you are playing a good mario, most of his moves have low lag and fairly high shield stun, try to shield grab and get jabbed or he will spotdodge or he will simply grab you (if you mess up a bit lol) just be careful, up b > shieldgrab in this matchup for sure.

when mario is falling out of the sky theres a lot to keep in mind, first off your up airs are most often timed anyways so that you will hit him if he jumps OR if he capes to stall. keep in mind he can jump, cape, airdodge, or just down air, and basically nothin you have goes through the dair, a well spaced uair will knock him out of the sky though, so keep that in mind. if you go for the spaced uair vs his dair he can simply jump or cape to avoid then down air into combo town...

all in all mario can be a really really painful matchup for bowser, spacing is absolutely essential in this matchup (though thats how i approach almost every matchup i suppose)

dont just go rushing him and getting owned for it, hit him a couple times then back up, if he starts to fireball spam then just avoid the fireballs dont stand there shielding because he can fireball rush.

DONT FORGET TO AIRDODGE if you run out of jumps, its really important to NOT LET HIM TOUCH YOU, dont do it obviously or mario will just land into grab. and mario's grab = mario combo, so does most everything else of his.

i'd say this matchup is in mario's favor for SURE, but its not unwinnable by any means...

yeah thats kinda rambly i guess maybe i'll edit it later lol

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
The best way for Bowser to defeat Sheik is with a swift kick to the ovaries. :nerd:

But seriously, we're supposed to be talking about (:bowser: vs:mario:)

Sadly, I don't know much about the Mario matchup because I've never played a really good Mario. These videos should help, they're vids of a Bowser player (Simna) vs a Mario player (Egghead or something like that.)

Here's the link.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=96709

I'm sure someone else here would be able to give good advice vs Marios >.>
finally some good matches from the bowser player Simna

_clinton

Smash Master
I have always thought that one of Bowser's Best counters for mario is the up A Claw, that is far more powerful then the fort (but a lot harder to hit with, however for air game counter it works wonders).

How about a yoshi vs Bowser match?

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Wow we haven't seen that question before..

Err i'd say the fighting is almost the same with spacing like gimpy mentioned but IMO Mario has better grabs and doc has better spammage and smashes and KOs all together

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i personally think that doc is easier to fight actually, its not too terribly difficult to avoid his pills, wheras mario has his uber priority dair that he can fling out at any moment that will outprioritize everything you do, doc's doesn't have as much. just be patient vs doc, dont approach him while he has an advantage, dont just go blindly rushing above his pills or you will get uair'd into combo of some kind, doc's recovery is absolute trash so he is much easier to kill, and pills dont keep him as safe as fireballs do while he is recovering either, you can likely just hit him with a fast falled anti-sweetspot bair and he is dead, or if you ever ever EVER hit him out of his 2nd jump at practically ANY % he is dead as well, the same is simply not true with mario.

mario combos you better than doc plus the dair's priority make him really hard to fight.

doc can camp you out with pills but use your brain and you can get around it w/o making yourself to vulnerable.

My mario experience = Eggz
My doc experience = S-Royal

mario is very very very slighly more difficult to fight, watch out for doc's bair edgeguards, i almost always recover high vs doc, whereas vs mario it is more situational.

i'll post on luigi later, i guess we are getting through the mushroom kingdom first then eh? lol the ones who counter bowser in other videos games? XD

chu12ch

Smash Journeyman
k, but after luigi, what are some decent tactics vs. shiek, i doubt im gonna win the games, but i wanna make it a decent loss...

D4rkchocolate

Smash Rookie
I need help with marth. All my friend does is spam her B and >A. and even though shes not good marths speed in his attacks is. Any helpful tips for Marth would be helpful.:laugh:

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
BUMP!!!

Hey come on people we could use some posts in here i want to take a lot of diverse opinions into the guide

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Ok moving this in a more helpful direction lets get a discussion going on Jigglypuff

This little bugger IMO is one of Bowsers counters, she can fade in for a rest and her B-air eats through a lot of his moves, plus when you use your edgeguarding on jiggs she can just float over it rendering one of bowsers bread and butter points useless... DISCUSS HOW YOU DEAL WITH IT :)

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I don't have much experience on Jiggly and I am a newb player so I will just add my two cents. Do not sit in shield cause Jiggly can easily poke a hole in it. If Jiggly is on the ground and in striking range ALWAYS capatilize on Jiggly's moment of rest since Jiggly is much weaker on the ground. Jigglys may or may not be more rest happy with a Bowser as their opponent. This means more opprotunities for missed rests and more times Bowser can capatalize on them. Since you can't sit in shield if Jiggly is close, you probably have to trade blows with her. This might give Bowser a fighting chance. Remember, one fair from Bowser may be equal to 3 bairs from Jiggly. I don't have anything on edgeguarding or being edgeguarded. Oh, I almost forgot...FORTRESS!!!! That is all I have on Jiggly. I hope this info is actually beneficial to the topic(I highly doubt it will be though).

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Wow i never saw her a bowser destoyer but a high enough pro can rest that guy 100 times over how do you counter that.

ps up b to up air
The fortress will just knock a good puff up in the air and away from you and then they will capitalize by coming back down and taking you out with moves that absolutely out prioritize bowser. The only way i seem to engage one is by trading F-airs with the puff and even then it seems that i need a better way to fight one.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
puff beats bowser almost as hard as sheik beats bowser, and a really good puff would probably beat bowser MORESO than a really good shiek. you simply cant hit puff if it spaces properly

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Gimpy speaks on the matter :) do you have any advice to give us man it would be really helpful... I need it for the guide, which btw how do you think it comes along.

Sol

Smash Lord
Bowser obviously has no bad matchups cause he's so huge and his fsmash can destroy stocks in an instant

Arash

Smash Lord
bowser vs puff isn't so bad, this is what you gotta do:

- utilt beats out her Wall of pain if you time it right

- fortress when you're close, it'll kill at 70% or so, but if you miss, run like hell or you'll get rested

- don't bother edgeguarding if she's above you, it's a waste of time unless jigglypuff is stupid and doesn't know how to jump

- ftilt angled up beats out her fair

- avoid her utilt, that's asking to be rested

certainly better than shiek lol

_clinton

Smash Master
JP also has her foward B how do you counter that? (she is not going to use >A if you can counter it easily you know)

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
you counter her forward b with up smash out of shield lol

wtf arash posts in the bowser boards?

i dont know what puff you are playing that you can just freely ftilt through her fair and do all those other things but whatever, i cant up tilt out of shield so maybe you've figured out some kind of crazy master move taht will do that somehow haha

almost anything puff hits you with leads to rest if the puff player knows waht its doing, puff is tricker to "edgeguard", a well spaced puff should just tear the bowser to pieces i dont see how you can say its "not so bad"

i've done really well vs every puff i've played i guess, but i haven't really played any puffs worht mentioning haha

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
So with all this information does anyone know anything that can stop a jiggs from Fourstocking you with rest after rest?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
I guess I'll just make a new post for it then

Bowser vs Luigi

If you space properly your airs should be able to be beating luigi’s. Luigi does have a lot of priority and ground speed so it can be difficult at first, but after enough times playing luigi you get used to it and you can adjust accordingly Double SH airs shouldn’t be a HUGE problem, depending on the set of airs you can up smash out of shield after the first air. Again depending on the first air you generally should NOT fortress until after the 2nd air hits your shield. Most luigi’s double air to pressure your shield and that obviously doesn’t really work on bowser…

Once you get luigi in the air he should be more or less done, he is in an EXTREMELY bad position vs somebody with good range on his arials, recognize his arial limitations and punish accordingly, his fast fall wont really do much, just position yourself according to where he will be. Uairs are incredibly easy to land on luigi due to his falling speed and the monstrous range you have on the up air, luigi will die off the top from that at fairly low % but not so much that he dies “easy”.

Luigi’s recovery isn’t quite as predictable as you think (if they are any good at tornado recovery that is) its incredibly easy to bair the missile over and over again, and when he recovers high try and fair him. It’s a free smash if he missiles onto the stage and you are in position to punish, if you aren’t quite in the right position you should still be able to get a grab and bthrow him off the stage so you are in edgeuarding position again. If you manage to grab the ledge when he has no jumps, no down b, and has to up b back to the ledge, a getup attack WILL KILL HIM. Just do a getup attack when he would sweetspot it’ll knock him back to far and he is dead.
When luigi is on the edge he does have options so space accordingly, give him a little bit of room. First he can double fair off the ledge, if you were pretty close to the ledge and he is approaching with the first fair you can up smash out of shield to punish that. He can also just do a quick falling uair, theres not much to do but avoid it, but if you do he is officially being edgegaurded, and that puts you in a good position (though it’s a trixy guard to say the least if you were in the right position) a good edgeguard at that point is to try and down air right on the ledge when his double jump would sweetspot, he isn’t going to be pulling back away from the stage to get on there properly because that could get him killed very easily, if you down air right on the ledge it’ll push him back JUST ENOUGH (like the getup attack) to get you a kill. He can also ledgedash dsmash, if you shield it you cant really punish it if he does it correctly, but if you’ve jumped or something to avoid it you can always get a free klaw on the end of his dsmash, if he does the ledgehop down b its harder to punish than the ledgehop downsmash just because it goes farther, not a TON you can do, you could probably up b after the first hit hits your shield though and get him with that if you are quick enough.

Luigi’s edgeguards/combos can kill you pretty quick, so you’ve gotta be on your game at all times, recover high often, his down air off the ledge will wreck your sweetspot attempts.

I dunno, luigi does really well vs bowser, garbage kills require consistency vs him so they are a bit harder. The match isn’t horrendous, but its pretty hard.

Oh yeah, tilts.
Don’t ftilt edgeguard luigi’s up b ever ever ever. It’ll get you punished more often than not, up tilt is decent but I don’t do it much (unless right out of my laggy arials) because of its general lag. Mid stage ftilts are generally good (but that’s true vs most everyone) but don’t abuse it because luigi is quick enough on the ground to punish you pretty bad after mises.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Gimpy if it is ok with you can i take any posts you make that have a decent amount of substance and work them into the character strategies part of the guide.. its good to have a person with some big tournament experience talking about these ya kno

Top Bottom