• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The bonds of Mother and Child are strong, Rosalina and Luma to return!

NeonNote

Smash Apprentice
The shield buff to her seems like it's gonna be a huge thing. I wonder if after it shrinks to a certain size it then stops covering Luma? Still, this seems like a major buff that could really affect her matchups.

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Okayyyyy that Direct was pretty rad and all, and I'm so glad we got all these new things but here I am to talk about Rosalina and the changes (or news) I have on her from the direct:

-Rosalina's air dodge doesn't make her disappear anymore, she raises her hand upwards and shines brightly for one demi-second and twirls left or right.
1533740267135.png

-Her new neutral air is kinda a nerf, because of all the space she can't control anymore (no pun intended), but it covers quite a large area as well. All that zone around her is, at some point, a hurtbox, which is kinda huge, though I guess it isn't as much in game and it's just an effect of the sparklings, but still.
1533740454192.png

-Her side B Starbits is back but has been greatly buffed! The Starbits now travel further and cover a larger area. It means you can reach opponents from further away but you can still hit all three starbits to one opponent if they're close to her. Rosalina still cannot move, act, or hurt anyone directly during the move as it's a Luma-only move.
1533740668686.png

-Her Sidestep animation is still teleportation! I'm glad it is, tbh. Her aerial one must've been changed because of the new mechanic: it was too hard to predict where she'd reappear. Palutena got the same treatment, because it'd be unfair for both of them to just... attack out of nowhere without the opponent knowing where they'd be.
1533740892700.png
1533740838675.png
1533740925846.png

Look at her! She's so beautiful and elegant doing that! You can clearly see her dodge twice at approximately 12:40 during the explanation for stage transformation. We notice also that her crouch animation has been altered a bit and she seems way more... natural crouching that way, though I think it increases her hitbox size.

Also, my previous hypthesis stating that she'd sparkle when Luma isn't there isn't the case. She simply sparkles: when falling and jumping, but not when running/flying. All those aesthetical changes are just wonderful, I love them.

So, now, the moves that are confirmed to stay:
Special moves: Gravitational Pull, Starbits, Luma Shot (we've not seen Launch Star yet)

Smash attacks: Down Smash, Side Smash, Up Smash all stay the same

Aerial attacks: Down Air, Forward Air, Back Air and Up Air remain unchanged. Neutral Air is changed for her typical twirl attack.

Tilts: Down Tilt, Side Tilt and Up Tilt are all confirmed and are the same as Smash 4.

Her jab and grab are the same as before. At least, visually.

I think we only need to see Launch Star to be sure she's kept all her original attacks, and I don't know how to feel about it because Launch Star was actually... well... launched as an item. It's one of the greatest recovery of the game, although she cannot hurt and can be quite easily prevented to go on the stage, I wonder if they'll change it to nerf her ability to come back on stage. Would they go for teleportation or something like that?
Who knows. Not me.

Also, Rosalina got some art!

Found on Twitter @7Roggie. This person even answered to my question on where they'd found the image, and it's actually just the description image for the FS gauge parameter. So yeah, enjoy.

I'm done. If anyone has noticed anything else (although I checked all the clips she appeared in), please say it.

Last edited:

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Rosalina so far has been treated well, not that much has been changed per see except a couple of moves and Luma seems pretty close to his lastest incarnation as well.

The SMG stage is returning, there's plenty of music confirmed for the game so i assume some Galaxy tracks are a given as well.

Now, i would love to get to see the actual gameplay of Rosalina in because i'm still not sure how her new moves will affect her effectiveness and obviously i wanna know if they indeed recycled the SMASH 4 voice clips (i hope so) or if they did something else ... if they did the latter i just hope they remember the character Rosalina is and what she is doing in Smash because any other kind of portrayal will murder her character in the game.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Found on Twitter @7Roggie. This person even answered to my question on where they'd found the image, and it's actually just the description image for the FS gauge parameter. So yeah, enjoy.
I can't help but laugh at that image. Wolf's expression sure looks priceless.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
Nair is now frame 8 for Luma and 11/12 for Rosa (it's actually hard to tell in the footage, there seems to be a bit of interpolation). Also I want you to bring your attention to this:
It's not confirmed at all but we have to keep an eye on this animation right here, it's telling.

EDIT: wow that Twitter preview sucks here.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Nair is now frame 8 for Luma and 11/12 for Rosa (it's actually hard to tell in the footage, there seems to be a bit of interpolation). Also I want you to bring your attention to this:
It's not confirmed at all but we have to keep an eye on this animation right here, it's telling.

Luma panics in Smash Wii U/3DS as well, the animation just wasn't as good.

You could still cancel the animation after a certain amount of time though.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Okayyyyy that Direct was pretty rad and all, and I'm so glad we got all these new things but here I am to talk about Rosalina and the changes (or news) I have on her from the direct:

-Rosalina's air dodge doesn't make her disappear anymore, she raises her hand upwards and shines brightly for one demi-second and just moves left or right. Who knows why she's striking this pose? My guess would be she's trying to be extra. And she's doing it fairly well.
View attachment 156250

-Her new neutral air is kinda a nerf, because of all the space she can't control anymore (no pun intended), but her new Nair covers quite a large area as well. All that zone around her is, at some point, a hurtbox, which is kinda huge, though I guess it isn't as much in game and it's just an effect of the sparklings, but still.
View attachment 156257

-Her side B Starbits is back but has been greatly buffed! The Starbits now travel further and cover a larger area. It means you can reach opponents from further away but you can still hit all three starbits to one opponent if they're close to her. Rosalina still cannot move, act, or hurt anyone directly during the move as it's a Luma-only move.
View attachment 156268

-Her Sidestep animation is still teleportation! I'm glad it is, tbh. Her aerial one must've been changed because of the new mechanic: it was too hard to predict where she'd reappear. Palutena got the same treatment, because it'd be unfair for both of them to just... attack out of nowhere without the opponent knowing where they'd be.
View attachment 156273View attachment 156271View attachment 156274

Look at her! She's so beautiful and elegant doing that! You can clearly see her dodge twice at approximately 12:40 during the explanation fo stage transformation. We notice also that her crouch animation has been altered a bit and she seems way more... natural crouching that way, though I think it increases her hitbox size.

Also, my previous hypthesis stating that she'd sparkle when Luma isn't there isn't the case. She simply sparkles: when falling and jumping, but not when running/flying. All those aesthetical changes are just wonderful, I love them.

So, now, the moves that are confirmed to stay:
Special moves: Gravitational Pull, Starbits, Luma Shot (we've not seen Launch Star yet)

Smash attacks: Down Smash, Side Smash, Up Smash all stay the same

Aerial attacks: Down Air, Forward Air, Back Air and Up Air remain unchanged. Neutral Air is changed for her typical twirl attack.

Tilts: Down Tilt, Side Tilt and Up Tilt are all confirmed and are the same as Smash 4.

Her jab and grab are the same as before. At least, visually.

I think we only need to see Launch Star to be sure she's kept all her original attacks, and I don't know how to feel about it because Launch Star was actually... well... launched as an item. It's one of the greatest recovery of the game, although she cannot hurt and can be quite easily prevented to go on the stage, I wonder if they'll change it to nerf her ability to come back on stage. Would they go for teleportation or something like that?
Who knows. Not me.

I'm done. If anyone has noticed anything else (although I checked all the clips she appeared in), please say it.
That art is just stunning, she really looks like a celestial goddess here.

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105

Luma panics in Smash Wii U/3DS as well, the animation just wasn't as good.

You could still cancel the animation after a certain amount of time though.
Question now is if you can still cancel it. They could have nerfed that, seeing how everyone thought it was unfair to be punched mid-combo and all.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Question now is if you can still cancel it. They could have nerfed that, seeing how everyone thought it was unfair to be punched mid-combo and all.
I hope they don't, it would kinda take away part of her uniqueness.

Plus, considering the kinds of special mechanics a lot of the 3DS/Wii U DLC fighters got, and now the Ultimate newcomers are getting, I think taking away Rosalina's unique properties like that would REALLY become a problem for her. I'd probably have to main a different character for this game regardless of whether or not I got my most wanted characters.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
Aside from the fact that it's actually not confirmed he can't act at all, I'm seeing way too much over reacting about this. Rosa was never a good character because she could break mid combo in the first place, it's her amazing juggling, walling and edgeguarding with Luma alongaide her that made her top tier. I think this is a reasonable nerf if almost everything else is left untouched.

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Aside from the fact that it's actually not confirmed he can't act at all, I'm seeing way too much over reacting about this. Rosa was never a good character because she could break mid combo in the first place, it's her amazing juggling, walling and edgeguarding with Luma alongaide her that made her top tier. I think this is a reasonable nerf if almost everything else is left untouched.
People are overreacting over this? Rosalina can't really get bad... Her core mechanics are just that good, so... meh.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Luma didn't cancel the animation if you air dodged in Sm4sh either
Also it should be noted that with with the new automatic L-cancel going on Luma doesn't have time to reposition by the time Rosa is able to move again after landing with Fair, in the direct that was used to create an extended Bair, and it's likely that other aerials might work similarly

-Rosalina's air dodge doesn't make her disappear anymore, she raises her hand upwards and shines brightly for one demi-second and just moves left or right. Who knows why she's striking this pose? My guess would be she's trying to be extra. And she's doing it fairly well.
View attachment 156250
If you look frame by frame, you see that she's actually spinning, especially since her gown rockets upward like during her Nair but for some reason it's using Bezier interpolation for her root bone, giving emphasys on that key pose. And that's why a spinning animation is one of the few times were you want to use linear interpolation

Last edited:

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Well regardless of where she is on the tier list i will learn everything there is to know about her cause i love her.

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Luma didn't cancel the animation if you air dodged in Sm4sh either
Also it should be noted that with with the new automatic L-cancel going on Luma doesn't have time to reposition by the time Rosa is able to move again after landing with Fair, in the direct that was used to create an extended Bair, and it's likely that other aerials might work similarly
Well, my knowledge of her is getting old. Haven't touched the game in ages, but thanks for that explanation.

If you look frame by frame, you see that she's actually spinning, especially since her gown rockets upward like during her Nair but for some reason it's using Bezier interpolation for her root bone, giving emphasys on that key pose. And that's why a spinning animation is one of the few times were you want to use linear interpolation
Well... It's subject to change after all, thanks for the notice. I'm just gonna... edit the original post. Details are important.

Well regardless of where she is on the tier list i will learn everything there is to know about her cause i love her.
That's the spirit!

Last edited:

NeonNote

Smash Apprentice
Hold on. When you were launched in Smash 4, Luma couldn't do anything until Rosalina was in control again, right? Or at least not right away. I might be missing something, but how is this different now? Could anyone explain this to me?

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
There is a small window where u can control luma before rosalina gets out of hitstun and can only be done with an aerial not specials (except non spinning animation hitstun). I usually use luma dair. but if you're in that spinning animation hitstun you have to wait till rosalina is out of it.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
I dont remeber where i saw it but people were saying rosy's new nair was a nerf and im telling you its not depending on the landing lag from it

Good things ive noticed from her nair

1. It finishes in the air from a short hop.

2. The big one: it has a hit box in front of her on start up

3. It still covers a large area

Clearly its a buff but again it depends on that landing lag but look the move can finish from a short hop that usually means the move has like barely any landing lag

Edit: sorry for double posting

Last edited:

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105

Nintendo of America just tweeted this art with Rosalina added! Peach and her kinda mirror the other's pose, it's cute. With Pit in the middle, it looks great!

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
I got bored and wanted to do some way-too-early speculation on how Rosalina & Luma will play in competitive Smash Ultimate.

**Buffs**

* **Shield now protects Luma as well as Rosalina**. In Smash 4, Luma was totally unprotected by shield. This led to many scenarios in which Luma would be KO'd when Rosa is forced to shield. In some Smash 4 matchups, like Cloud and Corrin, Rosa is forced to play without Luma for a large portion of the match because Rosa has no choice but to shield many of their powerful and long-range attacks. This is by far Rosa's best buff in Smash Ultimate, as it will make Luma significantly more difficult to KO.

* **Gravitational Pull now automatically equips opponent's items.** In casual games with items, this is a massive buff for Rosa. But competitively, this will prove useful in only a handful of matchups. Overall this is a buff, but not a particularly significant one.

* **Rosa will benefit from the fact that Rage in Ultimate will either be less of a factor or not a factor at all**. We already know that the effect of Rage is less powerful than it was in Smash 4. Additionally, there is speculation that there may be a toggle to turn Rage in Ultimate off completely, and this toggle could very well be turned on for standard competitive play. Luma's ability to occasionally score crazy early kills aside, the nerf/loss of rage will benefit Rosa, as she is one of the lightest characters in the game.

* **Rosa's edgeguarding could become even more lethal**. Rosalina's hitboxes and long-range recovery made her one of the best edgeguarders in Smash 4 (with the caveat that if she went off stage and botched the edgeguard she could be in trouble). With the huge nerf to air dodge in Ultimate, many characters are going to have a very hard time with Rosa once they get hit off stage.

**Nerfs**

* **Rosa's Nair has been completely changed, probably for the worse.** Rosa's Nair in Smash 4 was easily one of her best moves because Luma's initial hitbox would come out on frame 3 and Luma would also have a lingering hitbox that swooped behind Rosa, which would create all sorts of traps for opponents. This could even lead into a free grab when hitting a shielding opponent in certain scenarios. Moreover, this move was so good because its active frames were insane, giving it great general utility. In contrast, Rosa's new Nair is more like Ness', a simple "get off of me" hitbox. This move will be useful, and it is actually much better than Rosa's old Nair when it comes to solo Rosa (Rosa's Nair is Smash 4 without Luma isn't a good attack at all), but overall this will likely prove to be significant nerf for Rosa.

* **Luma is now completely useless when Rosa is in hitstun**. The single most broken aspect of Rosalina & Luma in Smash 4 was Luma's ability to attack while Rosa was in hitstun, which completely blocked many of the opponent's combos. However, it seems that Luma now goes into a helpless state whenever Rosa is in hitstun. This change is significant enough that Falln, one of the top Rosalina & Luma players, claims he will likely not main Rosa in Ultimate because this one change so fundamentally changes her playstyle and effectiveness.

* **Luma has less range (probably)** This isn't confirmed, but from the footage we've seen it seems that when Luma is attached to Rosalina it stays closer to Rosa's body than it did in Smash 4. This is a nerf because it means that when Luma is attached to Rosa its hitboxes won't extend as far out away from Rosa.

* **General nerfs to air dodging and rolls will make Rosa's greatest weakness even weaker**. Rosa's good air dodge and rolls in Smash 4 allowed her to evade opponents well while waiting for Luma to respawn. But now she will have no choice but to try to fight off opponents by herself while waiting for Luma to return. Additionally, recovering to the stage in Smash 4 was already a significant problem for Rosa and this problem will only be exacerbated by Ultimate's mechanical changes.

* **General buffs to aerial landing lag will benefit most other characters more than Rosa**. One of the things that set Rosa apart in Smash 4 was her "lunar landings" (auto-canceled aerials in which Luma would attack while Rosa was free to perform other actions). This separated her from many other characters who had a lot of landing lag on their aerials. But with characters across the spectrum seeing the landing lag on their aerials greatly reduced, Rosa stands to benefit less from this change than other characters.

**Pure Speculation**

* **Possibly more combos between Rosa and Luma?** One of the unfortunate things about Rosalina & Luma in Smash 4 is that there were very few situations in which Rosa and Luma would play off of each other when separated to pull off cool combos. But with the change to how knockback works, perhaps this becomes a more viable strategy (think of how King K Rool combo'd a Bair into his own canonball).

* **Nerf to Luma's base knockback?** This is pure speculation, but one of the most common complaints about Rosalina & Luma in Smash 4 was that Luma's base knockback is simply too high. There is simply no reason Luma should be able to score kills with up-air at the top of the stage when the opponent is at such a low percentage. But from the nerfs we've been seeing to the Smash 4 top tiers in Ultimate across the board, it certainly seems like the development teams "gets it," and I think the most obvious change for this character is nerfing Luma's base knockback. I would be surprised if we don't see this change.

**Overall Impressions**

Rosalina & Luma looks to be a far more *fair* character in Smash Ultimate that is less likely to make opponents want to throw their controllers. Rosa players are simply going to have to learn to live without the most broken aspects of Smash 4 Rosa. Fortunately, her shield's new ability to protect Luma should also help relieve frustration from matchups in which Rosa would constantly lose Luma. The result will be a character that is fairer and arguably more enjoyable for both Rosa players and opponents.

Rosa was a top 5 character in Smash 4 and her fundamental design means she will still likely be a strong character in competitive 1v1s in Smash Ultimate. However, while she did laps around most of the non-top tiers in Smash 4, she is going to be receiving a much greater challenge from the majority of the cast in Smash Ultimate. Fortunately, her problematic matchups in Smash 4 like Cloud and Bayonetta also look to be receiving nerfs.

Obviously, there is still a great deal we don't know about how Rosalina & Luma will play - particularly what combos she may or may not have. Here's to hoping Rosa makes it into a demo sometime soon.

chaostails7

Smash Cadet
Sounds like a pretty sound analysis. Iron Kraken. As a Rosa main who currently hates Rosa just a bit, I'm glad the most annoying thing about her (getting punished for shielding attacks) is going away, even if she ends up being worse overall. Maybe we'll get less hate this time around >.<

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
A Baby Rosalina plush is coming out.

However, it seems that Luma now goes into a helpless state whenever Rosa is in hitstun.
Luma had a "helpless" state in Smash Wii U/3DS and could act out of it, the new animation tells us nothing. It's just an updated animation like any other.

NeonNote

Smash Apprentice
A Baby Rosalina plush is coming out.

Luma had a "helpless" state in Smash Wii U/3DS and could act out of it, the new animation tells us nothing. It's just an updated animation like any other.
Thank you. This is what I was thinking, but wasn't 100% sure. Glad someone else confirmed it lol. In smash 4 actually, Luma has a panic animation, but it's not as visible as this one. This could potentially be a good thing for Rosalina players actually to more clearly be able to see if/when Luma is unavailable.

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
EDIT: wow that Twitter preview sucks here.[/QUOTE]
Here i

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rqAnTN_BGU
At 2:14 in this video, Rosa does a nair, is it possible you or others try to get the frame data of it please. Thanks if possible.

Edit, I like to also point out that rosa/luma jab got a range nerf, noticed in the everyone is here trailer the hitboxes got shifted closer to Rosa's body.

Last edited:

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
At 2:14 in this video, Rosa does a nair, is it possible you or others try to get the frame data of it please. Thanks if possible.
Rosa nair is unchanged while Luma's is frame 8 now. The second hit looks like it comes out in the same frame though, so there's that.

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
Rosa nair is unchanged while Luma's is frame 8 now. The second hit looks like it comes out in the same frame though, so there's that.
Ah ok, thanks for the feedback. Also, is it just me or did Luma had some active frames shaved off of it. Like in smash 4 it was frame 3-6 on first hit, this looks like instant like only 2 frames lol i.e. 8-9 frames. Guess we won't know till game comes out.

Last edited:

NeonNote

Smash Apprentice
I'm honestly so upset they changed her nair. Easily one of her most important moves in 4 (IMO) now reduced to some generic standard attack that I'm almost positive won't help her gameplay in any way. It will help solo Rosalina at least, but still. Anyone else upset by this change?

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The problem with Rosalina's original n-air was the placement of the hitboxes, making it not very reliable if you're trying to deliver a quick hit against those who are in front of her.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So an artbook for Super Mario Odyssey has come out in Japan with a ton of scrapped content and....

It's been a while since I've been this burned by cut content, this is amazing.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well going by the soundtrack cover of 3D World, Rosalina with a guitar can still be considered canon in some form I guess, even if the Odyssey devs were too coward to follow through with it and other early concepts.

6ECFB040-F4D0-4093-8568-13D26656219D.jpeg

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
I'm honestly so upset they changed her nair. Easily one of her most important moves in 4 (IMO) now reduced to some generic standard attack that I'm almost positive won't help her gameplay in any way. It will help solo Rosalina at least, but still. Anyone else upset by this change?
Not true, new nair functions similarly to Corrins nair now. So she can use it as a safe spacing tool now. Yeah she can't do her free grabs with it on shield anymore, which is broken btw. But fact hitbox is in front of Rosa means its way easier to hit people with it. Old nair's problem was her nair was so slow that you can only hit people with only luma's nair reliably, which only did 4 damage.... Fact its much easier to use Rosa nair now mean more damage overall, which is a huge buff. So yeah, its slower but at least you get more damage for your hit.

Last edited:

NeonNote

Smash Apprentice
Not true, new nair functions similarly to Corrins nair now. So she can use it as a safe spacing tool now. Yeah she can't do her free grabs with it on shield anymore, which is broken btw. But fact hitbox is in front of Rosa means its way easier to hit people with it. Old nair's problem was her nair was so slow that you can only hit people with only luma's nair reliably, which only did 4 damage.... Fact its much easier to use Rosa nair now mean more damage overall, which is a huge buff. So yeah, its slower but at least you get more damage for your hit.
Her old nair, when with Luma of course, was one of her best approach options. The weird timing of her attack when combined with Luma meant she could do a bunch of mix ups after executing it. This new attack is a huge buff for Rosalina alone as her old nair was essentially useless when Luma was gone, but I just think her old one was one of her best neutral tools. I see what you mean about the Corrin comparison though. I do hope I'm proved one once the game releases!

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Well going by the soundtrack cover of 3D World, Rosalina with a guitar can still be considered canon in some form I guess, even if the Odyssey devs were too coward to follow through with it and other early concepts.

View attachment 167153
Cowards is the word indeed. I'd love to see this content used elsewhere. Remember when we were kinda bummed Rosalina was just a Pixel cameo?
Well, pretty sure the devs love her but Miyamoto not so much.

Here's another one of these concept arts. Rosalina really would have been implemented somewhere in New Donk, selling another version of her dress?
Well, anyway, she didn't need to get cut. I hope they're not done with updates yet...

NeonNote

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys think of the tradeoff between lower range will Luma attached and shielding him? In the everyone is here trailer, she lands with Luma next to Dedede and does a jab which seems to have Luma closer to Rosalina than he was in 4. Obviously, this was probably necessary in order for the shield buff, but alas, something had to be given up I guess.

Top Bottom