• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The bonds of Mother and Child are strong, Rosalina and Luma to return!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
You have to keep in mind Sakurai put emphasis on the fact this is just a kid with a wild imagination, canon doesn't matter that much

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Came across this on Reddit. I thought it might interest some.

From what I noticed:
-Up Air and Down Air have enhanced animation (and I like it).

-Launch Star is still her Up Special (it was a given because the Tweet about her mentioned it as well anyway) Updated visuals which make it look more like Galaxy's, or at least, I think.

-Luma takes 8 seconds to respawn. Spawns in little trails of light (unlike the shining ball from Sm4sh).

-Her eight color schemes are the same. The error there was in Sm4sh were a part of her hair was colored wrong along with the costumes is resolved.

-Her victory animation for when Luma jumps in her arms is so much better! This was the one I disliked the most, but now it's alright. Luma isn't too big, he still pirouettes everywhere and Rosalina enjoys seeing him having fun and... when the splash "Winner" appears, she switches to look at the camera and that's a very nice touche. I can't wait to see her others animations... Also, it was a given too, but she keeps the "Mario Galaxy" remix for her victory fanfare. And she's the only heroic character with a different fanfare from the rest of the cast for now...

And because I'm so caring, here's a GIF comparison I just made:

EDIT: Another gameplay video!

Noticeable stuff: Luma seems to shine brighter when Rosalina grabs and throws an opponent and when she triggers her Final Smash, the background brutally change into space.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm not liking most of these changes, they seem to both be nerfing her range and mind games potential, AND her attack speed/landing lag, that's like the worst thing you could do to her, especially when most other characters are getting better in that regard.

If this is the case then I likely will give Sonic way more attention. She might be demoted to hard secondary for me. It sounds like her moveset just lacks flow anymore.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Let's not forget that with custom specials being restricted to Miis, you've pretty much lost Luma Warp, Shooting Star Bit, and Guardian Luma. Gravitational Pull is useless against those who have no projectiles. Star Bits's range is limited, despite not being reflectable. And Luma Shot can be countered by reflectors.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm not liking most of these changes, they seem to both be nerfing her range and mind games potential, AND her attack speed/landing lag, that's like the worst thing you could do to her, especially when most other characters are getting better in that regard.

If this is the case then I likely will give Sonic way more attention. She might be demoted to hard secondary for me. It sounds like her moveset just lacks flow anymore.
Honestly, I don't think these changes are that big of a deal, especially when other top-tier characters seem to be getting it just as bad. Seems like she still retains a lot of her strengths, even picking up a few new ones (Luma respawns way faster, Luma gets shielded, etc). Plus, Lunar Landing is still in, so that's a huge relief.

Rosalina players will just have to adapt. Give it some time, and I'm sure we'll discover new traps and tricks we can pull off with the duo.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Honestly, I don't think these changes are that big of a deal, especially when other top-tier characters seem to be getting it just as bad. Seems like she still retains a lot of her strengths, even picking up a few new ones (Luma respawns way faster, Luma gets shielded, etc). Plus, Lunar Landing is still in, so that's a huge relief.

Rosalina players will just have to adapt. Give it some time, and I'm sure we'll discover new traps and tricks we can pull off with the duo.
Luma could always be shielded in Smash Wii U/3DS. He just has to be physically inside Rosalina's shield (so it won't work if she uses shield too much because the shield will be too small).

And she doesn't retain much of what she had. They're making her slower and weaker all-around when she already was just sort of average in terms of attack speed, which in turn eliminates many of the mix-up and juggling options she used to have.

Meanwhile, she's still gonna be one of the lightest characters and the heavyweights are getting faster, stronger, and more tricky with their versatility.

It's not really about tier placement for me. It's about whether or not she plays more or less how she used to. She was my favourite playstyle in all of Smash before, but she isn't going to play near the same anymore, not to mention her entire design seems to lack synergy now.

I'll try her out of course, as much as I can to make final judgement, but I don't have high hopes.

Lorisaur

Smash Cadet
In my opinion the new Nair is a bit worse but still solid as a move, especially when spaced well or when rosalina & luma are split. I think it's safe on shield but just speculation

Luma's 8 seconds respawn is CRAZY and it's pretty simple to stall them. Luma dies. You get a grab? Luma is back

Lunar landing still in is the safety of the character, I was really fearing they would have removed those autocancel frames.

Too bad for Dair and luma Nair, but I can understand it, as Cosmic said, Rosalina will easily find new strats

Sadly the upair has more landing lag but it was hinted in the 25sec teaser. My biggest concern however is luma's upair. Is it still way too good like in smash 4?? Or it has less range and kill power? I reeeeally hope I can main it in smash ultimate as well, or I'll give myself to the piranha plants. In all senses

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
After bringing up my feelings about the World of Light trailer, I had to set up a deviation that has Kirby, Rosalina, and her Luma being the only fighters who successfully avoided Galeem's attack; they're looking at the new world that Galeem created.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
In case anyone wanted it, I did a changelog for Rosalina & Luma in Ultimate: https://goo.gl/qHCQq7

If you notice something wrong or missing just tell me and I'll update

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
In case anyone wanted it, I did a changelog for Rosalina & Luma in Ultimate: https://goo.gl/qHCQq7

I suppose it doesn't sound as bad as I thought. Maybe I saw some misinformation since what I saw before sounded like all horrible nerfs. I'll try hard to experiment with her. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Decided to try out Rosalina online in Smash Wii U again.

......Mm-hmmm.

Just a normal day playing Rosalina.

Glad
I'm not the only one loving her aesthetic changes. If you want to add another detail to her Final Smash, here it is:

I remember someone bringing this up on the old forum, and well, now it's done. FS is finally a Grand Star. (image comes from Twitter user @7Roggie). Additionally, the Japanese name has been changed from "Power Star" to "Grand Star". So her FS got some sort of a revamp and another name.

EDIT: And the difficulty select screen of the game is also a drawn panorama of all the characters, and here's Rosalina. Unfortunately, I have not seen the complete picture and can't speak for which difficulty she appears. Picture is also from @7Roggie:

I did find on Tumblr however the screen for difficulty Level 2:

My guess is Rosalina will be for the intermediate levels, as Kirby seems to appear in the foreground, and well, he's the cover boy! But who knows.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So it appears that the intensity system has been adjusted for Classic mode. I wonder if you would still have to wager gold to increase the intensity.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Just a normal day playing Rosalina.

Glad
I'm not the only one loving her aesthetic changes. If you want to add another detail to her Final Smash, here it is:

I remember someone bringing this up on the old forum, and well, now it's done. FS is finally a Grand Star. (image comes from Twitter user @7Roggie). Additionally, the Japanese name has been changed from "Power Star" to "Grand Star". So her FS got some sort of a revamp and another name.

EDIT: And the difficulty select screen of the game is also a drawn panorama of all the characters, and here's Rosalina. Unfortunately, I have not seen the complete picture and can't speak for which difficulty she appears. Picture is also from @7Roggie:

I did find on Tumblr however the screen for difficulty Level 2:

My guess is Rosalina will be for the intermediate levels, as Kirby seems to appear in the foreground, and well, he's the cover boy! But who knows.
Rosalina is at the start of it will all of the cute characters like Kirby.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I made a little infographic about how Rosalina could have escaped Galeem.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure why Rosa players are being so negative.

Rosa was a top 5 or so character in Smash 4. We already saw Bayo and Cloud got significant nerfs. Obviously, we had to expect some nerfs coming.

---
So basically she's been nerfed with...

- Jab is no longer broken (This may not be quite as awful as it sounds - with the changes to aerial landing lag / shield mechanics, Rosa isn't going to want to stand in place and just press A anyway. Opponents would be able to get around that better than they could in Smash 4 anyway. Plus, Rosa has more incentive to move around more herself).

- Luma has less range on grounded attacks in general because he stays closer to Rosa's body when tethered

- No more broken RAR backair

- Up-air has more cooldown (Up-air confirming into up-air was one of the most brain-dead things about Rosa anyway. Other characters like ZSS and Meta Knight also lost having up-air confirming into up-air).

- Luma Dair has more startup

- Lost her janky Nair that could sometimes confirm into grabs

---

But in return she's been buffed with...

- Luma respawn time reduced

- Much better Fair that can be short-hop autocanceled

- Better Luma Shot (which helps with de-tethered play in general)

- Better Star Bits

- Better smash attacks

- A good "get off of me Nair"

- Gravitational pull automatically equips items

- Shield protects Luma

- Still retains her up-throw to up-air combo despite the fact that many other characters have lost their brain-dead / broken grab combos.

- The air-dodge mechanic changes are going to make Rosa's insane edgeguarding even more lethal.

---

Obviously, it's way too soon to say if she's still going to be top-tier, but I'd be surprised if she isn't still very good. It was obvious that some of her dumber / more broken stuff was going to be changed for Ultimate. IMO the overall changes to Rosa are about as good as we could have hoped for.

Last edited:

RandysRage

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere between the North and South Poles
I'm not sure why Rosa players are being so negative.

Rosa was a top 5 or so character in Smash 4. We already saw Bayo and Cloud got significant nerfs. Obviously, we had to expect some nerfs coming.

---
So basically she's been nerfed with...

- Jab is no longer broken (This may not be quite as awful as it sounds - with the changes to aerial landing lag / shield mechanics, Rosa isn't going to want to stand in place and just press A anyway. Opponents would be able to get around that better than they could in Smash 4 anyway. Plus, Rosa has more incentive to move around more herself).

- Up-air has more cooldown (Up-air confirming into up-air was one of the most brain-dead things about Rosa anyway. Other characters like ZSS and Meta Knight also lost having up-air confirming into up-air).

- Luma Dair has more startup

- Lost her janky Nair that could sometimes confirm into grabs

---

But in return she's been buffed with...

- Luma respawn time cut nearly in half

- Much better Fair that can be short-hop autocanceled

- Better Star Bits

- Better smash attacks

- A good "get off of me Nair"

- Gravitational pull automatically equips items

- Shield protects Luma

- Still retains her up-throw to up-air combo despite the fact that many other characters have lost their brain-dead / broken grab combos.

- The air-dodge mechanic changes are going to make Rosa's insane edgeguarding even more lethal.

---

Obviously, it's way too soon to say if she's still going to be top-tier, but I'd be surprised if she isn't still very good. It was obvious that some of her dumber / more broken stuff was going to be changed for Ultimate. IMO the overall changes to Rosa are about as good as we could have hoped for.
I surmise she'll be top 15, hopeful for top ten. She should have little problem with all the new heavies running around and, as you said, her edgeguarding will mean a whole lot more.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
Also, I don't have footage rn, but Luma spawn time is 11 seconds in 1v1, not 8. Still better than Smash 4.

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Also, I don't have footage rn, but Luma spawn time is 11 seconds in 1v1, not 8. Still better than Smash 4.
Footage can be found in the video ParanoidDrone ParanoidDrone sent. It is indeed 11 seconds. Also, in that same video, Luma's smash attack range seemed very small (like, I actually laughed out loud when I noticed Luma's little punch hitting absolutely nothing.) Though the Up Smash has been buffed a bit I think.
In the end, she received way more nerfs than buffs, and the buffs are quite minor still. I guess that's the price you pay when you remain a top tier for so long...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I surmise she'll be top 15, hopeful for top ten. She should have little problem with all the new heavies running around and, as you said, her edgeguarding will mean a whole lot more.
Against King K. Rool, Rosalina can potentially contain K. Rool's projectiles with Gravitational Pull, and even steal his crown if he tries to throw it. And assuming that her grabs are still quick, Rosalina can get past whatever armor that K. Rool has.

Now, I'm not saying that Rosalina would have a huge advantage against King K. Rool, but if she's able to contain K. Rool's projectiles, that would require the Kremling tyrant to have to approach Rosalina, and that could also be a problem if Rosalina can grab sooner than most of K. Rool's attacks. Going airborne could help, but Rosalina can still shield-grab K. Rool if he's too careless.

NeonNote

Smash Apprentice
Her buffs and nerfs almost look to completely change her gameplay in a way that makes her less polarizing. Luma's range being reduced makes sense since he has to be covered by shield. A tradeoff that both makes him harder to get rid of, but harder to hit opponents with himself. Her new nair is MUCH worse than smash 4's version with Luma, but MUCH better when she's solo. I don't know what to make of these changes, but her aerial nerfs really suck. Not too hopeful as of now.

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
Her buffs and nerfs almost look to completely change her gameplay in a way that makes her less polarizing. Luma's range being reduced makes sense since he has to be covered by shield. A tradeoff that both makes him harder to get rid of, but harder to hit opponents with himself. Her new nair is MUCH worse than smash 4's version with Luma, but MUCH better when she's solo. I don't know what to make of these changes, but her aerial nerfs really suck. Not too hopeful as of now.
Shes still very good. Fair is a good option now and bair is busted. New nair is still usable and better starbits. Dtilt is still good to. Point is she is still amazing, you just can't just depend on pressing A all the time and start to use her other good moves

Lorisaur

Smash Cadet
I was trying to figure out her best tools in neutral. Landing Nair maybe, lunar landing stuff, dashing downtilt, so many foxtrots, Bair, star bits if viable, all that to get a grab upthrow upair... and that's it, because she probably wont have other true followups. Maybe at certain percents she can predict an airdodge or set a 50/50 to add more damage but nothing sure. Well... she'll he still good probably

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
from what i have seen Rosalina is still pretty decent but she seems to have downgraded from Smash 4 overall.

Definetely a second main for me, guess it's time to switch to Peach again.

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
I was trying to figure out her best tools in neutral. Landing Nair maybe, lunar landing stuff, dashing downtilt, so many foxtrots, Bair, star bits if viable, all that to get a grab upthrow upair... and that's it, because she probably wont have other true followups. Maybe at certain percents she can predict an airdodge or set a 50/50 to add more damage but nothing sure. Well... she'll he still good probably
I heard from dabuz that bair into dash atk or grab still works. Plus occasional dash atk can still set up juggles. And up smash is still a good smash. She is fine.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
All that we can hope for is that the nerfs don't hurt Rosalina too much. It's already tough enough that her overall mobility is considered below average when compared to everyone else on the roster; with a base roster consisting of 76 fighters (Pokemon Trainer counts as 3 fighters), 38 is the average ranking.

Last edited:

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
Im confused on rar bair? Is it that luma doesn't extend ridiculously far now or Rosa literally can't rar bair?

Last edited:

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Im confused on rar bair? Is it that luma doesn't extend ridiculously far now or Rosa literally can't rar bair?
Nobody could RAR in the demo, so that's probably what they meant

Anyway, the problem here is one and simple: she became a puppet character whose puppet got turned into a dead weight.

Her arse apparently became so dense that Luma can't escape its gravitational pull, not allowing him to increase her range almost by any margin.

So the solution would be to dether him, so that he is able to cover more space, right? That would be the solution until you find out that, by the law of omeopathy, Luma still stands pinned down to his default distance and none of his attacks extends further than a spit, which not only makes his range so small that the only thing large about that zoning potential is the neon sign with "HIT ME" Luma has on after getting dethered, there appears to be a large gaping hole between the two's hot spots, and yes, that is a huge problem because Luma ponders his life decisions before starting to actually respond to a grounded Rosalina moving, which coupled with Jab not moving him anymore it means that not only Luma can zone out as well as a black hole, he can't move that zone at all and the opponent can stand anywhere outside or between those waiting for the heat death of the universe before he is pressured to take a decision

The only thing that could be possible is that long jump seen in the Direct, unlike when grounded, Luma would react istantly to the movements of an airborne Rosalina, the difference there seems that it would do that with a single, long jump, which when mixed with Rosa's high acceleration, would make Luma actually mobile, and as a side effect, would extend his hot spots and actually make him able to zone. Since Luma doesn't come back to position until the animation is actually over, you can use repeated aerials to move him, and you might think that it's a good idea if you think that a 38 frame-no-hitbox move is a good way to do that as well

In fact, most of her prominent buffs come from the new mechanics, as her ability to move around throwing DTilts as Luma moves can actually be useful both when tethered or not, and automatic L-cancel allows for easier use of aerials for the afermentioned micro-spacing, and it allows for quite some combos, Fair>Uair popping to mind.

And if you have noticed none of these buffs help the fact that Luma seems as useful of a puppet as a Bazooka curved 180° and you need to emulate a Slav Dance just to move that dead weight around, in a sequence of manouvers that puts to shame what you did in Sm4sh to make him get inside your shield

Last edited:

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1DeVKMnu_c

Video of Rosa's new Nair. You can see it hitting at 0:14, 0:26, 0:35, and 1:11.

Looks like it has very little knockback, great range, a lingering hitbox, and comes out pretty fast.

That makes it potentially a combo move, and even when it doesn't combo it should leave Rosa in a very advantageous position to try to follow-up with mix-ups.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I guess the Luma complaints in Smash 3DS / Wii U really caused the developers to keep it next to Rosalina at all times. But even when the Luma is next to Rosalina, it didn't guarantee her any safety against grabs.

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Something I noticed in this gameplay video is that Luma is now way more reactive to Rosalina's movement. If they are detethered and she goes left, it'll go left immediately, if she jumps, it jumps as well, and if she suddenly faces the other direction, it'll quickly go to where she's looking.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
IMO Luma didn't need to be nerfed that hard because having Luma step out for certain attacks like jab and U-air was a key part of Rosalina's playstyle. It gave her loads of different ways to space Luma besides just detethering him with Luma Shot, and it was what truly made her more complex but rewarding to play. Opponents had to watch out for those subtle differences in spacing whenever tethered Luma used an attack. But part of the reason Rosalina was so overpowering at times was because of Smash Wii U/3DS's mechanics. Movement was very stiff and you had to constantly use shield to stop, so characters with strong out-of-shield options like Rosalina tended to do well. In addition, Smash Wii U/3DS had a crappy off-stage game, to the point where most characters were better off waiting for the opponent to get back on-stage and just going for top-blast zone KOs or getting a clean combo going from on stage to the left or right blast zone. Rosalina was one of the exceptions to the rule where she actually had a strong off-stage game in spite of most other characters basically having no off-stage game, and that was purely because of Luma D-air if tethered Luma was slightly spaced below or to the side of Rosalina, and her ability to park Luma at the edge and smack someone off the underside of the stage before they grabbed the ledge. U-air was good in some off-stage situations too.

Ultimate changes those two things already though. People can't rely on shielding so frequently anymore and the Perfect Shield system has been changed in a way that is not as easy to use and probably won't protect Luma as easily. Movement is much more smooth meaning people have an easier time charging at Rosalina, and the off-stage game is much more competitive in Ultimate with the new ledge mechanics and Directional Air Dodge being a thing. Not to mention the new characters like the Belmonts who can probably deal with Luma pretty easily even if he was kept the exact same as Wii U/3DS Luma, and the fact that so many characters are getting faster, particularly the heavyweights who can KO Rosalina at lower percents.

IMO if they had kept Rosalina & Luma mostly the same as before with no major mechanical changes, Rosalina wouldn't have been as overwhelming (and I use that loosely as she was never fully mastered in competitive play and her meta had staled, so she really wasn't being used as much in tournaments) simply because Ultimate's base mechanics already give characters much more options to deal with her. Sure, I expected some changes in terms of damage output and frame data, but what they've gone and done is make her general playstyle very different and it honestly just seems worse. I could handle her being a bit worse, I was expecting her to be, but I'm more concerned about whether or not I will enjoy the character now (I mean I don't care about competitive Smash anymore anyway, I got sick of the community mostly). I'll give her a fair shake but the huge nerfs to Luma's frame data and the fact he can't move during some of his attacks now seems pretty damning.

Then again, I suppose I don't care so much since I may be cancelling my Ultimate pre-order. The game as a whole looks quite underwhelming to me.

NeonNote

Smash Apprentice
The only thing I think she deserved to have nerfed was Luma's base knockback. All this other stuff is completely going overboard IMO. She had plenty of weaknesses in smash 4: easy to hit, Luma very easy to launch and kill, horrid recovery (in terms of safety), light and floaty to the high heavens, a few really bad matchups. She pooped on several lower tier characters, but nearly all top tiers did as well.

Edit: Just watched the match vs. Daisy. It looks even worse than I imagined. I honestly think her viability will go way down.

Last edited:

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Something I noticed in this gameplay video is that Luma is now way more reactive to Rosalina's movement. If they are detethered and she goes left, it'll go left immediately, if she jumps, it jumps as well, and if she suddenly faces the other direction, it'll quickly go to where she's looking.
Now that is quite a welcome thing, guess that in the end mashing buttons won't be needed to correctly place him. It still remains that tethered is barely more than a damage additive and that I really wish we left Slav Dances in Smash 4, but combined with Ultimate's mechanic it does make shifting """"""""zones"""""""" far more fluid. In fact, one would think that having made the best render in the series they would know something on the concept of "flow", but they must've lost the memo about the concept of "puppet". On that note, I just noticed that they improved the silhouette on her DTilt, now sticking her arms to the wind while attacking, it would also worsen her hurtbox but the movement is largely on the Z-axis

Should I point out that the vast majority of what's preventing her from looking as smooth as a cheese grater are the mechanics in general built for that?

Last edited:

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Now that is quite a welcome thing, guess that in the end mashing buttons won't be needed to correctly place him. It still remains that tethered is barely more than a damage additive and that I really wish we left Slav Dances in Smash 4, but combined with Ultimate's mechanic it does make shifting """"""""zones"""""""" far more fluid. In fact, one would think that having made the best render in the series they would know something on the concept of "flow", but they must've lost the memo about the concept of "puppet". On that note, I just noticed that they improved the silhouette on her DTilt, now sticking her arms wind while attacking, it would also worsen her hurtbox but the movement is largely on the Z-axis

Should I point out that the vast majority of what's preventing her from looking as smooth as a cheese grater are the mechanics in general built for that?
And her crouch animation has been altered as well (and yes, she can still crawl).

I do agree with the puppet thing. They act like puppet characters, but on paper only. In a match, Luma is a punching ball barely alive, but at least, he had the knockback Rosalina lacked. Now that its knockback's been reduced, they just... deal damage. Less, even. And have more difficulty launching the opponents away. Well, Luma's Dair still sends the opponent to unexpected places because of the crazy angle, which can still "secure" very early kills on lighter targets...
And actually, the up air doesn't look that bad. You can't spam it as much, but you can still spam it, and its hitbox is as disjointed as before, which still makes it a great move for killing aerial targets...
Well, this all seems so vague to me. I just want to try her out and see the changes for myself.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
With a 76 fighter roster (excluding DLC), balancing is definitely a nightmare. And it would be rather shocking if Bayonetta and Cloud are still dominant forces, while Rosalina gets relegated to the very bottom of the pack.

It also doesn't help that custom specials are limited to Miis now.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Aaand there's another one

It's likely that it doesn't have a separate array of base damage values, but just a multiplier that activates when dethered. Difference being that in the knockback formula base damage is used while in the shieldstun formula the final damage is, which would have meant he could K.O. with a sneeze. However, since he came up with the same result in all cases, it means that the multiplier is independent from the others, which, assumed there isn't anything special about the move, it means that a single Star bit deals 3.1*1.2*1.5=5.8% , that's 6 frames of hitlag suffered by Luma and the opponent, and 5 frames of shieldstun on top of that

In short, that means that his hot spots become more dangerous and those that weren't previously hot enough now are, effectively almost any of his attacks creates a hot spot, including the afermentioned Star Bits. It remains to be seen if the buffs to Rosa actually warrant her having hot spots worth talking about, but the impression of an imposing zone extending all the way to his DA/Side-B range moving around with actual flow and responsiveness is a quite nice one.

One of the things that should be tested is SH>Neutral B>Aerial. That was possible already in Sm4sh, but now both of them can act sooner out of the special, Luma has this multiplier, coupled with automatic L-canceling shortening the time between Luma's aerial and Rosa being able to DA, DGrab, Side-B and whatnot. If my impression is correct, all of this would lead to, when tethered, them having a hot spot placed around the Luma Shot distance, and would be even better without the SH multiplier taking effect

Also we are starting to accumulate way too much information to make adequate guesses

Last edited:
Top Bottom