• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Birth of Fighting Games...

shadydentist

Smash Lord
...or why Street Fighter is still the most important fighting game around.

I found this article while browsing through games radar, and its a very good read. I thought this would be an appropriate place to discuss how competitive fighting games got their start. A few things I would like to point out:

-When this game was released, several bugs were found and abused by players. One very significant one was a 'programming glitch which allowed standard moves to be quickly cancelled into specials.' Today, these are known as combos, the basic building block of fighting games.

-In re-releases of Street Fighter 2, Capcom chose to further develop many of these techniques, instead of fixing them.

-Currently, the team working on SFII: HD Remix is headed by none other than Dave Sirlin, a veteran of the SFII competitive community and author of the article on playing to win that is cited all the god**** time.

In a time where Super Smash Bros. is releasing the next chapter of its development, its interesting to take a look back at its lineage.

mario-man

Smash Lord
the best part of that article is sadly not applicable to the smash series as a general rule:

"More than just a fighter, Street Fighter is the best competetive series around, as well as a great lesson in what can be achieved when developers truly pay attention to their audience."

Sad that that is not a completely true statement about Brawl in particular.....

S2

Smash Lord
Capcom didn't always listen to their fans when making SF games.

Look at SF3... that very much was not what fans wanted as the "true" SF2 sequel. It was a awesome game, but not what fans were clamoring for. Even look at the SF3 sequels (2nd Impact and 3rd strike), they very much added in SF2 favorites Akuma and Chun Li due to the dislike of the casual audience over the completely new cast.

Look at SF4 so far, its mostly SF2 characters so far... that's what people were expecting of SF3.

mario-man

Smash Lord
If you're logic holds true, then let's play Melee for 6 more years until Smash 4 comes out. lol I'm still not sure wether I am being funny or serious since I'm not sure wether Brawl will be good. I REALLY hope it is, but some things are looking bad.....

Jimiisama

Smash Apprentice
Then SSB64 reinvented the fighting genre and nobody played street fighter anymore.
Yeah, watch your mouth. You realize nobody plays Smash outside this country, right? We have a knack in the US for turning casual games into competitive games (look at Marvel). That doesn't mean they're bad; I used to play a lot of Marvel, and I love Smash. You can't compare yourself to a genre of games that typically goes through iteration after iteration finetuning a game, making it more balanced and competitive to a game that tries to destroy (fix?) competitive value (yeah Nintendo) with new sequels forcing players to rediscover new techniques which are simply exploits looked over by the developers since they don't know how to test games for competitive balance.

You think L-canceling is advanced? Try negative edge, kara cacenling, renda canceling, jump installing, FRC-ing, (all from different games) try actually having to do motions and not just forward/up/down. I'm not trying to bash Smash; I wouldn't be here if I didn't love the game, but try to have some respect for other games in the genre.

The only reason Smash has a bigger fanbase than the smaller niches of other fighting games is because it's relatively easy to pick up; of course not everyone plays at a competitive level, but it's easy for someone to just pick up the game and have fun (Fisher Price: My First Fighter). Series like Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Guilty Gear, these games are developed to be played competitively, and I would argue have a much steeper learning curve leading to less general popularity (but that's the way I like it).

mario-man

Smash Lord
You think L-canceling is advanced? Try negative edge, kara cacenling, renda canceling, jump installing, FRC-ing, (all from different games) try actually having to do motions and not just forward/up/down. I'm not trying to bash Smash; I wouldn't be here if I didn't love the game, but try to have some respect for other games in the genre.

The only reason Smash has a bigger fanbase than the smaller niches of other fighting games is because it's relatively easy to pick up; of course not everyone plays at a competitive level, but it's easy for someone to just pick up the game and have fun (Fisher Price: My First Fighter). Series like Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Guilty Gear, these games are developed to be played competitively, and I would argue have a much steeper learning curve leading to less general popularity (but that's the way I like it).
I'm not against you or ANYTHING like that, I'm just stating something that I noticed was wrong.

Uhh to be frank, I don't really think l-canceling is advanced, no. Just curious if you've tried to SHDL into drillshine -> waveshine and then repeat 100x. That is pretty dang hard to do. And that isn't even the most difficult thing in Melee, so don't pull that card again. I'm not against SF or any other game, so don't take this the wrong way. I'm just saying, don't try to pull the card of "You think this is hard, well try this" cuz there are a crapload of hard things in Melee, and l-canceling is NOT one of them.

On your second point, if that is truly the case, I'm DEFFINITELY gonna have to play some of those, cuz I like the sound of a game that is DESIGNEd to be competetive.

S2

Smash Lord
Yeah, watch your mouth. You realize nobody plays Smash outside this country, right? We have a knack in the US for turning casual games into competitive games (look at Marvel). That doesn't mean they're bad; I used to play a lot of Marvel, and I love Smash. You can't compare yourself to a genre of games that typically goes through iteration after iteration finetuning a game, making it more balanced and competitive to a game that tries to destroy (fix?) competitive value (yeah Nintendo) with new sequels forcing players to rediscover new techniques which are simply exploits looked over by the developers since they don't know how to test games for competitive balance.

I think Smash is actually a lot harder to "pick up" as a competitive game. One big reason being that combos in Melee were much harder to do than other fighters.

You can play at lower skill levels in most fighters by simply getting a few combos under you belt and simply spamming their openers. Given that Smash combos are often matchup and percent specific, its not that simple.

There's a difference between casual appeal and how hard it is to master a game. If you think Smash is easier to master than most of the games you mentioned, then you really need to play more fighters. Smash is a very tough game to be good at. It's not really any more technical than other fighters, but the situational combos and dynamic stages make mindgames much more advanced than many other games. Don't confuse mass casual appeal with depth.

Its not just America that has made Smash competitive, its popular worldwide. America didn't turn it into a competitive game, all 3 regions did (NA/JPN/PAL).

Meanwhile plenty of FG series are guilty of "changing up the formula". They don't all just finetune. All 3 SFA games had major changes between them. Tekken went through major iteration changes from 3 to TTT to 4 to 5.

You give other fighters way too much slack for changing the Pro scene, but are immediate to denounce Smash for doing this. Every fighting game has a bunch of techniques that were oversites of the developers. And every fighting game sequel loses important aspects of the tournament scene due to fixes. Jeez, Guilty Gear wasn't ruined when they fixed Dust Infinites after X1 - it just changed what high level play was about. The loss of things like WDing in Melee are going to be the same. You can't base the competitive value of a game based on techniques that are no longer possible in the sequel.

Jimiisama

Smash Apprentice
I'm not against you or ANYTHING like that, I'm just stating something that I noticed was wrong.

Uhh to be frank, I don't really think l-canceling is advanced, no. Just curious if you've tried to SHDL into drillshine -> waveshine and then repeat 100x. That is pretty dang hard to do. And that isn't even the most difficult thing in Melee, so don't pull that card again. I'm not against SF or any other game, so don't take this the wrong way. I'm just saying, don't try to pull the card of "You think this is hard, well try this" cuz there are a crapload of hard things in Melee, and l-canceling is NOT one of them.

On your second point, if that is truly the case, I'm DEFFINITELY gonna have to play some of those, cuz I like the sound of a game that is DESIGNEd to be competetive.
I'm not trying to say Melee techniques don't have their difficulty, but I found other fighters to have a much steeper learning curve in general. The techniques I was comparing L-canceling to weren't necessarily advanced on their own either. A kara cancel in Third Strike isn't necessarily advanced on it's own (kara throw is probably the easiest way to do it), but doing a lengthy juggle with Makoto involving several kara-canceled moves would be an advanced technique. I was saying the basic individual techniques of the game are more difficult to time.

If you wanna check out other competitive fighting games, I suggest you check out their individual boards.

http://shoryuken.com/
Mostly Capcom fighting games. Street Fighter 3 Third Strike, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Capcom vs SNK 2, Marvel vs Capcom 2. They also have an "Other Games" board.

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/
Guilty Gear

http://virtuafighter.com/
Virtua Fighter

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/index.php
Tekken

Other popular fighting games/series (that I don't have forums links for) are King of Fighters, Soul Calibur, and a whole crapload of SNK fighting games.

S2 said:
I think Smash is actually a lot harder to "pick up" as a competitive game. One big reason being that combos in Melee were much harder to do than other fighters.

You can play at lower skill levels in most fighters by simply getting a few combos under you belt and simply spamming their openers. Given that Smash combos are often matchup and percent specific, its not that simple.
Smash definitely has it's uniqueness with the damage and weight system. Although there are character-specific combos in other fighters as well as situational combos. Guilty Gear epitomizes an in depth combo system that must incorporate character weights, sizes, momentum, position, etc; GG combos are highly situational in many cases. I can't really vouch much for 3D fighters (I've never been a fan), but CVS2 and 3S definitely have thier fair share of situational combos as well. Spamming one or two combos doesn't always get you very far in any serious kind of setting.

S2 said:
There's a difference between casual appeal and how hard it is to master a game. If you think Smash is easier to master than most of the games you mentioned, then you really need to play more fighters. Smash is a very tough game to be good at. It's not really any more technical than other fighters, but the situational combos and dynamic stages make mindgames much more advanced than many other games. Don't confuse mass casual appeal with depth.
I said easy to pick-up; nothing is easy to master or else they wouldn't call it "mastering". Sorry if I was insinuating that mastering the game takes less effort. And I wasn't saying there was any correlation between mass casual appeal and depth; I was saying that the game has a mass appeal because it's easier to pick up. I wasn't saying everyone who picks up the game is a master of the game.

I don't know if dynamic stages make the mindgames more advanced than any other game; I can make a game that's like soccer, except every now and then the field catches on fire. Actually on second thought, that would really mess with people.

S2 said:
Its not just America that has made Smash competitive, its popular worldwide. America didn't turn it into a competitive game, all 3 regions did (NA/JPN/PAL).
Really? Maybe I'm wrong, but are there any Japanese players who MAIN this game? As in this is the game they play over any other game? Or are they players who main other games and play Smash on the side when there's a tourney they're invited to?

S2 said:
Meanwhile plenty of FG series are guilty of "changing up the formula". They don't all just finetune. All 3 SFA games had major changes between them. Tekken went through major iteration changes from 3 to TTT to 4 to 5.

You give other fighters way too much slack for changing the Pro scene, but are immediate to denounce Smash for doing this. Every fighting game has a bunch of techniques that were oversites of the developers. And every fighting game sequel loses important aspects of the tournament scene due to fixes. Jeez, Guilty Gear wasn't ruined when they fixed Dust Infinites after X1 - it just changed what high level play was about. The loss of things like WDing in Melee are going to be the same. You can't base the competitive value of a game based on techniques that are no longer possible in the sequel.
I wasn't saying changes ruin a game. I was saying that Nintendo seems to want to try to remove competitive value from the game (i.e. shift from Melee to Brawl). It's true that other developers make changes to fighting games that don't always make everyone happy, but it seems like Nintendo blatantly tries to remove any trace of the previous competitive techniques. Atleast when they reiterate GG they don't decide to remove aspects of the game that made it great; sure they try to get rid of loops they may consider unbalanced, change the physics of different characters, or whatever, but they make all their changes keeping competitive value in mind. I was just trying to compare how Nintendo develops Smash to how other companies develop fighting games.

I know my last post had a harsh tone; maybe I was in a generally bad mood at the time. I didn't mean to come off as harsh or insult any players.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Every now and then on this board, threads like this happen, where people actually discuss stuff.

Well, heres my two cents.

The basic game mechanics of smash ARE simpler than many other fighting games out there. Smash doesn't have anything like King's throws from Tekken, or 10 hit combos that must be memorized but almost ALWAYS work if the first few connect corrently, or insane parrying like SF3:TS has.

Yes, there are advanced techniques that require thinking and hand dexterity, but the game wasn't designed around these advanced techniques really. You don't see smash releasing tweaked version after tweaked version, fixing infinates and balancing characters like you see other games. In fact, I have played brawl, and you can't use any melee high level skills in brawl anymore, because EVERYTHING is too different now for the same stuff to work. (Marth d-throw to fsmash doesn't always work anymore :( )

Smash is designed to be simpler, but pros make it complex.
Many other games are designed to be played by pros in the first place.

Jimiisama

Smash Apprentice
Games are made by players; I've always said it--everyone already knows it--but I love saying it. I always thought Marvel vs Capcom 2--and later Smash--was a great testament to this. Compared to most fighting games, everything is generally easier to do in Marvel; they even tried to make it easier to play than previous games in the series (XvSF, MvSF, MVC1, etc), but a massive competitive following evolved from the game when a few pros (and Justin Wong) showed us all what the game can really do. I guess there's a good reason Smash is Marvel Jr. Marvel is kinda looked down sometimes by players from other fighters for being simple and broken, but I started playing fighting games through Marvel and it opened my eyes to a whole genre of fantastic 2D fighters.

Striking similarities between Smash and Marvel:
-Both originally intended to be easy to pick up by casual players, eventually evolving into considerable competitive followings.
-Wavedashing! although slightly different in either game.
-Rediculous combos (sometimes 0 to death)
-Fox=Mags; Falco=Cable; Shiek=Storm; Peach=Sentinel =D
-Both are heavily tiered with considerably little sightings of lower tier characters.
-The ability to get out of a combo (tech, mash, safefall, etc) is as important as execution.
-Game is played largely in the air.
-Characters designed to be slow can be played fast with the right techniques (Sentinel, Ganondorf, etc).

squarez

Smash Apprentice
Haha I like that comparison to MVC2, which I happened to used to play. The tier thing seems to hold more true for mvc2 though.

Jimiisama

Smash Apprentice
Haha I like that comparison to MVC2, which I happened to used to play. The tier thing seems to hold more true for mvc2 though.
An overwhelming percentage of the community mains the top 5 characters; if not they at least play one of them, for counterpicks and whatnot. The game isn't as balanced as it can be, but that's expected. Melee's only the second iteration; games don't get truly balanced for a while since we technically know more about the game than HAL/Nintendo does. Brawl seems more balanced, but it could be because we haven't broken it yet. You see some midtiers hit the scene, but I normally see the top 5. I would accept that it's not as tiered as MVC2, but think about it this way... You probably play more than one character; you might main only one but you probably know at least one more... think of that as your team. Almost every team in MVC2 has one of the God Tier chars (Mags, Storm, Sentinel, Cable), and most likely at least one of the chars you play in Melee is probably Top or Upper Tier. Obviously this isn't true for everyone.

If you look at the GG scene, you see a pretty good distribution of character usage all throughout the tiers (from S to D class chars). I hear Tekken and KoF games are also not that heavily tiered (I can't 100% vouch because I don't play; that's what I've been told).

Eddosan

Smash Cadet
I hear Tekken and KoF games are also not that heavily tiered (I can't 100% vouch because I don't play; that's what I've been told).
The latest Tekken games have greatly improved in tier-balancing. The last KoF I learned to play was KOF XI, but the newest release is KOF 2006 (haven't played it). KOF XI has a lot of low tiers, but also plenty of high tiers, which balances things out.

Jimiisama

Smash Apprentice
The latest Tekken games have greatly improved in tier-balancing. The last KoF I learned to play was KOF XI, but the newest release is KOF 2006 (haven't played it). KOF XI has a lot of low tiers, but also plenty of high tiers, which balances things out.
Holy crap, Ed. Stalking me much?

Anyway yeah, it's very different from having 2 top tiers, 3 upper tiers, and everyone else in mid/low/bottom. Having an even number of high and low tiers makes the game a little more balanced. It's also more balanced when the bottom tier isn't 100% outclassed by the top tier (although you could say that's more "evenness" than "balance"). You can see Bridget fight Testament in Accent Core and still be a relatively even fight; the D tier char will feel the disadvantage against an S tier, but in the end it's anyone's match as long as both players can use their character.

Aberu

Smash Cadet
the best part of that article is sadly not applicable to the smash series as a general rule:

"More than just a fighter, Street Fighter is the best competetive series around, as well as a great lesson in what can be achieved when developers truly pay attention to their audience."

Sad that that is not a completely true statement about Brawl in particular.....
Yes because the audience is totally the 1% extremist players, and the (from what I have seen in here) 50% of competitive players, that want everything to just be so bland and "balanced" to the point where every character is a clone, items aren't even in the game, smash balls aren't in the game, and it's just a who can rack up more damage with the same techniques over and over in slightly competitive patterns-fest.

Jimiisama

Smash Apprentice
Yes because the audience is totally the 1% extremist players, and the (from what I have seen in here) 50% of competitive players, that want everything to just be so bland and "balanced" to the point where every character is a clone, items aren't even in the game, smash balls aren't in the game, and it's just a who can rack up more damage with the same techniques over and over in slightly competitive patterns-fest.
*sigh* Typical 2008-member post.

I don't understand why the fact that players tried to make this game competitive offends people so much. Have you actually tried it? Have you in the last couple years frequented any tournaments? Yeah they possibly don't use the items you like, but I don't see how this hurts you if you're not a part of it. And I'm not sure what you mean by wanting everyone to be a clone. Same techniques? I guess it would be stupid to do things that YOU KNOW WORK; it's much better to improvise all the time, right? Mindgames = improvisation, but when it comes to combos experience is best (not that combos don't need a certain level of improvisation).

Yeah I would guess only 1% of players are truly competitive players as you've said because 99% of the players are probably casual. Maybe that's exaggerating; it's probably more 10/90. Nintendo tries to make Smash to appeal to everyone (primarily those 90%). The mixed demographic is interesting and all, but then again, look at the ***gotry brewing lately due to those 90%. I always assumed SmashBoards was competitively oriented anyway; it seems useless to come on here and bash the tournament scene, hoping to.. Well, I'm not sure what the goal is.

PS: Good job completely missing the point of the thread. Try to be a little more intelligent when you troll.
http://www.urban75.com/Mag/troll.html
http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?TrollingTactic
Go online. Do some research. Practice on easier targets first; Final Fantasy boards are probably some of the easiest (other JRPG's work as well).

Miharu

Smash Hero

Jimiisama

Smash Apprentice
ROFL.

Trolling RPG forums are far too simple.
His trolling was embarrassing to anyone who's ever took the time to properly troll. It's a beautiful subtle art, and it's best done when the audience doesn't realize you're doing it. Think of it in XKCD terms: instead of an "*******" be a "cl*******".

EDIT: Well that got completely censored.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
I dun see how you can compare Smash at all to other genres, the only things that really carry through between games are general play instinct. Its great to play different games and come back to your regular fighter with more knowledge on certain things - eg, guesswork, timing - than you had before though.

Though I'd love to see anyone here who fancies themselves a smash pro try Akira's 1 frame knee from vf consistently. But just for laughs, not really to prove anything. Jii gets points for refferencing vf on his recommended games list, I thought you'd skip that amongst all the others. I love triple throw escape evading, it can get hilariously invincible if done right. (imputting three different throw escapes and an evade at once)

Eddosan

Smash Cadet
Though I'd love to see anyone here who fancies themselves a smash pro try Akira's 1 frame knee from vf consistently. But just for laughs, not really to prove anything. Jii gets points for refferencing vf on his recommended games list, I thought you'd skip that amongst all the others. I love triple throw escape evading, it can get hilariously invincible if done right. (imputting three different throw escapes and an evade at once)
1 frame as in it comes out at frame 1, or you just have 1 frame to input the commands? I would love to play VF. The last time I did was at a local Gamestop demo station, with VF5 on PS3. Is it worth playing VF2 on virtual console, or is that too outdated?

I've thought of multiple throw evading in Soul Calibur or Tekken, but I don't think it works. VF doesn't cancel out your inputs after you've already pressed your throw escape button? It does sound hilariously invincible, though. D:

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
VF2 is on the virtual console?! Oh, if its the genesis version, seriously don't bother; if its the arcade version then its a classic, deep or not.

VF has by standard always had a knee for Akira which, is ridicolously slow and acts as a striking move if you enter it in normally - kick and guard - but, if you enter in guard and kick on the exact same frame, letting go of guard after that one frame, then he has a very powerful, fast, launcher. Its known to be one of the hardest moves to do consistently in any fighting game, if not the hardest by far. Guard can't be registered any frame on the same Kick is pressed before that one frame, either.

You have to do it so fast that you literally have to be brushing the button in a way it doesn't go all the way down.

VF4 and VF5 are the most complex and best to start with IMO. VF3 is a fan favourite, VF4 Evo has a comprehensive dojo, VF5 for 360 has an awesome online mode that hardly lags, even if its not good for elite players.

You can enter in as many throw escapes as you want, uhuh, but throw escaping in vf requires you press the direction of the throw you want to escape, so its harder than it sounds. Characters have like, 10 or so throws, so its hard to guess which one they're attempting. Evade + throw escape or Reversal + throw escape entry are advanced techniques for VF, generally. Triple is very hard, double is steep when starting out.

One good player who's way above me can put in 4 directional throw escapes in the space of a few frames x.o he's evil.

Jimiisama

Smash Apprentice
VF has by standard always had a knee for Akira which, is ridicolously slow and acts as a striking move if you enter it in normally - kick and guard - but, if you enter in guard and kick on the exact same frame, letting go of guard after that one frame, then he has a very powerful, fast, launcher. Its known to be one of the hardest moves to do consistently in any fighting game, if not the hardest by far. Guard can't be registered any frame on the same Kick is pressed before that one frame, either.
Holy crap! And I thought the Kara Palm in Third Strike was hard. But I agree, VF has so much in it, I always found it hard to pick up. At least in a 2D fighter, I can PRETEND I know what I'm doing while losing =D Your opponent sees a couple failed combos and pressure strings, and at least he knows you did your research a bit. Me playing VF would just be embarrassing.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
heh, stick to one character, results come out very fast then. I think anyone can play any game if they're tenacious enough.

Top Bottom