• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Does anyone else play brawl in West MI?
To not ignore a new player, I'll let ya know that West MI basically has a really strong PM scene, a strong Melee scene, and Brawl is nearly dead. At the tournament yesterday, there were more teams in PM than singles entrants in both Melee and Brawl Singles. There were 40+ unique players, 38 of which were playing PM.

Brawl players in West MI include Lordy, L_Cancel, Legit, and Amity. Two players in Grand Rapids, two players in Muskegon, and that's pretty much it. I think Sarix still plays Brawl to some degree, and he's a GR player, but outside of that PM has taken over the Brawl scene completely.

Jayhawker

Smash Apprentice
To not ignore a new player, I'll let ya know that West MI basically has a really strong PM scene, a strong Melee scene, and Brawl is nearly dead. At the tournament yesterday, there were more teams in PM than singles entrants in both Melee and Brawl Singles. There were 40+ unique players, 38 of which were playing PM.

Brawl players in West MI include Lordy, L_Cancel, Legit, and Amity. Two players in Grand Rapids, two players in Muskegon, and that's pretty much it. I think Sarix still plays Brawl to some degree, and he's a GR player, but outside of that PM has taken over the Brawl scene completely.
Thank you! Unfortunately I only play brawl, so that sucks for me. I need to get Project M so I can join the scene!

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Thank you! Unfortunately I only play brawl, so that sucks for me. I need to get Project M so I can join the scene!
L_Cancel, Amity, and Legit all play Brawl over there and L_Cancel is one of the best in the state so he would be an amazing teacher if you two are about to meet up. If you'd like, I can add you to the MI Skype group which is both Brawl and P:M if you want to get familiarized with everyone. Feel free to PM me and I can add you!

Jayhawker

Smash Apprentice
L_Cancel, Amity, and Legit all play Brawl over there and L_Cancel is one of the best in the state so he would be an amazing teacher if you two are about to meet up. If you'd like, I can add you to the MI Skype group which is both Brawl and P:M if you want to get familiarized with everyone. Feel free to PM me and I can add you!
Thanks for the help! Who do Legit, Amity and L_Cancel main?

Jayhawker

Smash Apprentice
L_Cancel is an Olimar
Amity is a Snake
Legit is a Mr. Game and Watch
Crap. An Olimar. XD my brawl game is broken after over five years of rough use. For some reason, the game refuses to believe Olimar exists. Whenever someone selects him, the game crashes. Everything else works fine. The strangest part is, it's not just the game, it's the wii also.

Oops, that was off-topic... Thanks for the info!

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
Solharath and Ori_bro pretty much summed it up. If you're interested in brawl, a lot of the pm events still have a brawl singles side event or even just a brawl setup to play on. If we're both at something, I'd be more than happy to play with you and help you learn the game. The East MI smash community has a slightly stronger brawl scene, so if you want to compete in a larger scale if you're willing to travel a couple hours it's a good opportunity to play more people. If you're interested in learning PM and becoming a part of the scene, Solharath and Lordhelmet actively host smashfests and events and are actively involved in the West MI community and I'm sure they'd be willing to help you get into the game too! :D

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
Man seems interested in giving Melee a chance. I don't know him, so I gave him an answer. Melee is bigger, Melee has a circuit coming up, Melee has the hype surrounding it. Why tell him to stay? I don't play Melee myself, so call me biased because I dislike Brawl and I play PM and that's more similar to Melee and all that, but I can play the "What the hell man?" game right back at you. It's not even 'Clearly'. He plays Brawl, but I'm saying he could do well in looking into the Melee scene, especially for longevity.

He could do both, but if he's looking to focus, I gave him an answer - same as Ori. I just feel he was wrong in claiming Brawl was better, especially at the precipice of the Platinum Age of Melee. Ori's still my bro.
Everyone has their own opinion.

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
Are there going to be any more events at the GrandLAN gaming center in Grand Rapids? Because it's literally less than 10 minutes away from my house.
I don't think the GrandLAN events have been very successful and people have had issues with the management there, but lordy does host events at his house sometimes and he lives in downtown Grand Rapids.

Last edited:

Mtank

Smash Cadet
aye so wheres the best place to hear about all the PM events happening around west MI? even if its two sweaty dudes in a basement, i just want as much practice as I can get

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I'm just hoping the megaman reference is intentional and not lost on you.

Your answer is too vague for me to have a conclusive answer to know if I should troll you or ask to be your best friend.

Mtank

Smash Cadet
I'm just hoping the megaman reference is intentional and not lost on you.

Your answer is too vague for me to have a conclusive answer to know if I should troll you or ask to be your best friend.
Oh, well I am sorry to inform you.. I did not get it :(

Last edited:

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
aye so wheres the best place to hear about all the PM events happening around west MI? even if its two sweaty dudes in a basement, i just want as much practice as I can get
Events will likely be posted in here at some point. There is also a facebook group for Project M, as well as a facebook group for West MI Smash.

I miss smash... anyone playing brawl still or am I gonna have to finally learn melee to play this summer?
People still play, you still got my number bro? Once i get my place cleaned up i was gonna start hosting sunday smashfests at my place. The scene isnt as big as it once was, and in general there is a severe lack of motivation.

You interested in PM at all? It's easier to win in because everyone is still ****ty, and it gets fairly large entrance because it appeals to all the ****ters that don't want to put the time into learning melee, but also don't like brawl because not liking brawl is what the cool kids do.

Top Bottom