• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big House Online Canceled After Cease & Desist from Nintendo

Big_House_Cease.jpg

After moving online due to safety concerns amid the COVID-19 pandemic, this year's iteration of The Big House has been canceled entirely due to a cease & desist order from Nintendo. This order was made in response to the decision to run a Slippi netplay tournament for Melee as, per Nintendo's own official statement, they viewed this decision as endorsing piracy.

The Big House organizer Rob "Juggleguy" Harn later corroborated in a statement to Kotaku that Nintendo originally requested that only the Melee tournament be canceled, only issuing the cease & desist letter demanding the cancellation of both brackets after Juggleguy refused their first request.

Shortly afterwards, many Smash community members started posting pleas for Nintendo to reconsider and allow the tournament to occur, using the #FreeMelee hashtag. This hashtag quickly became one of the top trending topics on Twitter.

This has also sparked a lot of discussion about the legality of emulation, as Smash players have noted that piracy isn't the only way to obtain a Melee game file for emulated netplay, as it's entirely possible for someone to rip a disc image from their own copy of Melee, and most people who play Melee netplay also own legitimate copies of the game, though legal matters are a bit more complicated than that.

In a 2018 interview with How-To Geek, University of Arizona internet and intellectual property law professor Derek E. Bambauer noted that emulation is in much more of a gray area. While emulator software itself is perfectly legal, things aren't so clear for the game ROMs (in the case of cartridge-based consoles like the SNES or Sega Genesis) or disc images (in the case of disc-based consoles like the GameCube) that emulators are used to run.

Distributing and downloading dumped game files for a game file is obviously illegal, though for cases where someone already owns a legal copy of the game they downloaded, or even ripping the game files from their own copy, things are a lot more murky. Bambauer notes that there is no real legal precedent for whether this is protected under fair use or still counts as software piracy.

While the music industry and several other entertainment industries have largely accepted legality of space shifting (the act of converting digital media from one format to another, e.g. ripping music files from a CD so you can listen to them on a smartphone or mp3 player) provided the person doing it owns a legitimate copy of the work they're doing it with, the same can't be said for video games. There aren't any landmark cases where this has been called into question for games specifically, and while there are certainly legal arguments in favor of the practice being fair use, there are also arguments to be made that this is still a form of software piracy, and Nintendo in particular has historically held the latter position.

It's also worth noting that this is just the most recent in a long string of Nintendo's attempts to hamstring competitive Smash. They have historically banned the use of game mods like Project M or the Universal Controller Fix at events they sponsor, with exceptions only being made for Smash 64, which requires the use of mods to enable the timer in stock matches. They were also responsible for the venue-wide ban on the Smashbox and similar all-button controllers at The Big House 7, though they have since dropped this policy for later sponsored tournaments.

Of course, there was also what may be the most infamous case of Nintendo's interference with the tournament scene, one that the cease & desist directed at The Big House has evoked comparisons to. Nintendo also issued a cease & desist letter to the organizers of Evo 2013 demanding they cancel their planned Melee tournament, claiming that streaming the event constituted unauthorized use of their IP. This came at a time when Nintendo had generally been cracking down hard on streams and videos that used gameplay footage of their titles. While they eventually backed down due to pressure from the community, it's unclear if the same will happen this time around.

Credits:
Graphics:
@Zerp

Scribe

Comments

melee will be fine, and people will continue using Slippi. Idk why anyone assumes otherwise. One cancelled tournament doesn’t change much.
Because Nintendo is sponsoring this tournament and many others. This isn't the last tournament their going to shut down with Slippi in it

I just think at this point, the community has made a huge mess over it and has overblown the entire situation. If I had any reason to believe that it was Nintendo's intent, I would otherwise support a movement of "FreeMelee" and "SaveSmash", but I just don't think that the current narrative even adds up.

I just think at this point, the community has made a huge mess over it and has overblown the entire situation. If I had any reason to believe that it was Nintendo's intent, I would otherwise support a movement of "FreeMelee" and "SaveSmash", but I just don't think that the current narrative even adds up.
Nintendo literally has actively tried to kill our scene dude

Nintendo literally has actively tried to kill our scene dude
Back during EVO 2013, I'd think that statement was true. However, if it was true now, I think they'd have done much worse than this and started years ago.

It's also crossed my mind that, if we did not have a horrible pandemic this year, and tournaments could continue as normal in person, would Nintendo still do the same thing as this? tbh, I just don't think so.

Back during EVO 2013, I'd think that statement was true. However, if it was true now, I think they'd have done much worse than this and started years ago.

It's also crossed my mind that, if we did not have a horrible pandemic this year, and tournaments could continue as normal in person, would Nintendo still do the same thing as this? tbh, I just don't think so.
They've blocked several sponsors and esports organizations from streaming and hosting Smash tournaments. When Eleague wanted to stream tournaments, Nintendo only allowed them to stream the E3 Invitational. They never contributed money to prize pools to tournaments, they took up floor space for games no one cared about, and much more horrible things.

Reminder: Shuton, one of the best Japanese Ultimate player, won EVO Japan 2019 and walked away with a PRO CONTROLLER

They've blocked several sponsors and esports organizations from streaming and hosting Smash tournaments. When Eleague wanted to stream tournaments, Nintendo only allowed them to stream the E3 Invitational. They never contributed money to prize pools to tournaments, they took up floor space for games no one cared about, and much more horrible things.

Reminder: Shuton, one of the best Japanese Ultimate player, won EVO Japan 2019 and walked away with a PRO CONTROLLER
I said I don't think they're trying to prevent the scene from exsisting (specifically the Melee scene).

I didn't say they've helped the scene in any way, or done much of anything to support its growth. I think stopping it from being more professional and profitable is a bad thing they've done.
However, I also think there are areas between fully backing a competitive scene and preventing it outright.

I said I don't think they're trying to prevent the scene from exsisting (specifically the Melee scene).

I didn't say they've helped the scene in any way, or done much of anything to support its growth. I think stopping it from being more professional and profitable is a bad thing they've done.
However, I also think there are areas between fully backing a competitive scene and preventing it outright.
Nintendo's relationship with Smash right now is they don't want to kill it because that would be a PR disaster, especially after EVO 2013. At the same time, Nintendo have supported games like Splatoon, and other fighting games like Street Fighter and Tekken have received support from the publishers.

My guess is they still want people to think Smash is a party game, and supporting the competitive scene would ruin that image. I don't think that's what would happen, since you can play football however you want without looking at the rules of professional football.

Last edited:
Nintendo's relationship with Smash right now is they don't want to kill it because that would be a PR disaster, especially after EVO 2013. At the same time, Nintendo have supported games like Splatoon, and other fighting games like Street Fighter and Tekken have received support from the publishers.

My guess is they still want people to think Smash is a party game, and supporting the competitive scene would ruin that image. I don't think that's what would happen, since you can play football however you want without looking at the rules of professional football.
Yeah, I think it's something to that effect.

There is actually news that Nintendo did not support ARMS https://twitter.com/hanukkahjambore/status/1332177954806390784?s=20

It is very possible a similar thing happened to Splatoon as well

Top Bottom