• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big House 5 Announced

Omegaphoenix

Smash Apprentice
So, in the interest of sparking discussion, who is hoping for legal customs for Smash 4 at the Big House? Personally I like the evo sets myself, but I'm interested in hearing what everyone else has to say

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
As someone who lives in Michigan and has visited Ann Arbor numerous times... if you get the chance, enjoy the downtown scenery. If needed, I can provide a "tourist" guide. Really good places to visit. Not sure if I'd actually play (if there's friendlies, I'd definitely play because I don't believe I'm tournament ready yet), but I'd definitely help out the cause of making this a good event.

Aygent

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ayygent
3DS FC
4570-7961-7152
Am I the only one who is sick of seeing " Wahhh, no PM so I won't support BH5"?! I don't mean foul to the PM community, but to not support a really good / rather important event that holds prominence in the smash communities is absolutely absurd. PM is a mod of Brawl "A failed game" . (I enjoyed brawl alot, as did many others. Let's be real ladies & gents , most of us logged tons of hours playing brawl) PM will never make a major because legality. Plus , it may be having a revival, but nothing the caliber of Melee. And please, don't flag me as a fanboy, flamer, troll, clickbait artist or any of that. I'm just tired of players not supporting the community because a mod is legally dying. On a positive note, I am excited to see some good matches for both games. I've always been a big fan of the work done at Big House.

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who is sick of seeing " Wahhh, no PM so I won't support BH5"?! I don't mean foul to the PM community, but to not support a really good / rather important event that holds prominence in the smash communities is absolutely absurd. PM is a mod of Brawl "A failed game" . (I honestly enjoyed brawl alot, as did many others. Let's be honest ladies & gents , most of us logged tons of hours playing brawl) PM will never make a major because legality. Plus lets all be honest folks, it may be having a revival, but nothing the caliber of Melee. And please, don't flag me as a fanboy, flamer, troll, clickbait artist or any of that. I'm just tired of players not supporting the community because a mod is legally dying. On a positive note, I am excited to see some good matches for both games. I've always been a big fan of the work done at Big House.
You're supposed to not support things you don't agree with, we've come up with this method as mass populations to avoid acting violently or in other less ideal ways.

If anyone doesn't agree with the change, then not attending and showing how important PM is to you as a person, is the best way to protest. People can do this and hopefully numbers drop and someone goes "oh, maybe PM is important to keep around."

or people send death threats and make the whole PM community look bad..
which then makes people feel justified in bashing the PM community...
Which then makes the PM community's exclusion seem justified...

Why would the PM community support a community who doesn't support them? One unit really only exists when it's convenient and that's whatever, groups have self interest, but to say it's absurd to not support the tournament is absurd in itself. Many players only play PM and only got into smash competitively through PM; they have no obligation to support Juggleguy, melee, or Smash4. Maybe they did when support went both ways, but clearly that's not the case.

And I'm not even arguing legality since I doubt anyone here is really qualified enough, and understands the details enough to argue that. I'm just explaining social and community dynamics.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
If major tournaments keep dropping PM, maybe it's time for PM players to have their own scene. That way they don't have to worry about C+D in the same way, and the best PM players can still come together to play the game they love. It's not an ideal situation but it's better than having no scene and doing nothing but complaining about a lack of PM at tournaments. Same goes for 64 and Brawl, if there aren't enough tournaments to sate the competitive appetites of the community, host more tournaments. Competitive Smash has existed as at a grassroots level for years, why should that stop now?

Which makes me wonder, will there ever be a time when any Smash game is just dropped entirely? (in a competitive sense, as I still break out the ol' 64 with my friends every now and then) Let's just imagine a future where there are over 10 officially released Smash games (I say officially because P:M, Brawl+, Brawl-, Balanced Brawl, Super Smash Flash 2, and other such games put the number that high already). Will there need to be a competitive scene and support for all 10 games? I enjoy playing any and all Smash games, but the fact is 64 and Brawl do not get the love and support they deserve, and non-P:M Brawl mods have no competitive scene and are hardly acknowledged, if ever. It just makes me wonder if players will ever be willing to give up some of the older iterations of the franchise and move forward with the series, despite the love and passion that they have for the games they currently play.

Smasher-LTIMT

Smash Cadet
NNID
battlefront157
3DS FC
2165-7609-0420
This weekend during the broadcast of Melee It On Me Live from IM NOT YELLING, an official announcement was made confirming The et to take place on October 2-4, 2015 in Dearborn, Michigan, the fifth installment of the famous tournament series will be among the biggest events of the year. The Big House represents the largest active Smash tournament series in the Midwest, and is known as one of the most well-organized nationals in the United State
Tournament organizer Robin "Juggleguy" Harn looks to one-up the very successful fourth installment, whose 700 unique attendees made it both the largest Midwest Smash tournament of all-time and the largest two-day Smash tournament of all-time. This year's edition expands to a three-day event, featuring Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Wii U. More information, including discounted hotel booking, will be available in the coming months.

SmashCapps is going to have to try and visit his family in Michigan so he can attend! Follow him

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
TBH5 is in October, and if Nintendo really cared that much about PM they would shut the SITE http://projectmgame.com/en/ and THE GAME! We don't even know if Nintendo themselves taken out PM from APEX, EVO and CEO.
I disagree. If Nintendo did that, it would generate bad press and might affect their sales negatively (or otherwise). P:M is relatively well known. This is why it is entirely possible that Nintendo would choose a more discreet way of suppressing P:M. But why? Because, as someone mentioned, it is (more or less) direct competition to Sm4sh. Moreover, Nintendo has a history of opposing modifications alongside other type of nazi-ism.

Last edited:

Omegaphoenix

Smash Apprentice
I disagree. If Nintendo did that, it would generate bad press and might affect their sales negatively (or otherwise). P:M is relatively well known. This is why it is entirely possible that Nintendo would choose a more discreet way of suppressing P:M. But why? Because, as someone mentioned, it is (more or less) direct competition to Sm4sh. Moreover, Nintendo has a history of opposing modifications alongside other type of nazi-ism.
Honestly, I don't think Nintendo is super opposed to PM like everyone thinks they are. I think they, especially the NoA branch don't mind PM, but because the laws surrounding this are complex and irritating, all they can do is kinda not really do anything, because if they get too close, they are required to defend their copyright, not to mention the added in content from the other companies who could take issue, ie the Castlevania stage and all that.

Basically, I think Nintendo and PM may want to be closer, but the law seperates them. Basically Romeo and Juliet with Copyright law and not family pressure

Also less murder. Probably

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Honestly, I don't think Nintendo is super opposed to PM like everyone thinks they are. I think they, especially the NoA branch don't mind PM, but because the laws surrounding this are complex and irritating, all they can do is kinda not really do anything, because if they get too close, they are required to defend their copyright, not to mention the added in content from the other companies who could take issue, ie the Castlevania stage and all that.

Basically, I think Nintendo and PM may want to be closer, but the law seperates them. Basically Romeo and Juliet with Copyright law and not family pressure

Also less murder. Probably
No

Nintendo is Hitler

It must be destroyed

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
Wat.

No, I'm serious. Wat.

Please tell me that this is all just trolling. Please tell me you did not just call Hitler and Nintendo the same thing. I was trying to open a discussion about this, and you literally just made a Hitler reference. What.
Nah bruhh, it's obvious that Square Enix, Capcom, and EA games are the Axis Powers.

And yeah, he's just messing. =P

Although he was clear on his wishes that Nintendo would just embrace our mods, as lovely as that would be.

Last edited:

42nd

Smash Cadet
They always operate differently. I mean no wobbling, no PM, no 64? Seems legit :'(

Steelo Rivers

Smash Cadet
Except they didnt 'flex their muscles'. Nintendo has never shut down a single PM stream. Nintendo has only ever shut down one smash stream in history, and that was melee at Evo 2013.
They don't need to shut down a PM stream to flex their muscles, they're making the game null and void everywhere. I don't like it, and I don't think anyone else does either. Any majors that have smash 4 will not stream PM, nor will any large grassroots tourny because they want nintendos money. Sure, your local TO will still have PM **** going on and will probably stream it. Problem is, it won't make it back to the big stage without someone (us) being vocal about it.

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
When they confirm Custom Fighters stays OFF then I will look into attending this.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I just find it funny how a year ago how PM which is "just a mod" was actually treated with respect for the most part compared to the official games despite PM being unofficial. Now with the direction smash is going, its seen as some sort of disease but I guess it makes sense considering PM's legal status. You see the PM complaints as an annoyance but honestly I see it just a bunch of people worried about its health as game in this community which is understandable.
It's fine to voice concerns. It's not fine to start witch hunts against people, demanding answers when they just don't want to run a certain game. TOs should not have to explain why certain games aren't showing up in a tournament. It could be any number of reasons from legal ones, to amount of interest in the game, to simply not wanting to run it. It's their tournament.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
It's fine to voice concerns. It's not fine to start witch hunts against people, demanding answers when they just don't want to run a certain game. TOs should not have to explain why certain games aren't showing up in a tournament. It could be any number of reasons from legal ones, to amount of interest in the game, to simply not wanting to run it. It's their tournament.
I don't think he has an obligation to explain things, but ignoring a huge portion of the community which has helped support his events (especially past Big House events) without any context or reason is just not right.
That said, I believe he did say he would discuss sometime soon. I just hope it's a satisfactory reason.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I don't think he has an obligation to explain things, but ignoring a huge portion of the community which has helped support his events (especially past Big House events) without any context or reason is just not right.
That said, I believe he did say he would discuss sometime soon. I just hope it's a satisfactory reason.
No reason is going to be satisfactory for the PM community. They aren't going to be happy no matter what reason he gives, so why should he give any reason to begin with?

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
No reason is going to be satisfactory for the PM community. They aren't going to be happy no matter what reason he gives, so why should he give any reason to begin with?
Even Melee players want to know what the issue is here, as most of them would rather sit through PM top 8 than Smash top 8. Personally, I also want Juggleguy to deconfirm Nintendo involvement so that people will stop saying Nintendo is contacting community leaders to silently kill PM. Nintendo is certainly an absolutely terrible company that's years behind on a lot of things, and they may very well be trying to shut PM out of tournaments, but people assuming that Nintendo is actually forcing TOs to keep PM out of the scene is a bit far-fetched.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Even Melee players want to know what the issue is here, as most of them would rather sit through PM top 8 than Smash top 8. Personally, I also want Juggleguy to deconfirm Nintendo involvement so that people will stop saying Nintendo is contacting community leaders to silently kill PM. Nintendo is certainly an absolutely terrible company that's years beyond on a lot of things, and they may very well be trying to shut PM out of tournaments, but people assuming that Nintendo is actually forcing TOs to keep PM out of the scene is a bit far-fetched.
I really don't agree that NIntendo is "terrible". They're still basically the only ones actually making games meant to be games, and not cinematic experiences.

TeddyBearYoshi

Banned via Warnings
When they confirm Custom Fighters stays OFF then I will look into attending this.
Same! I just hate evolving meta! I won't watch until they ban Diddy kong, nerf greninja, and of course make everyone use the Wii remote.

Last edited:

Omegaphoenix

Smash Apprentice
Same! I just hate evolving meta! I won't watch until they ban Diddy kong, nerf greninja, and of course make everyone use the Wii remote.
The snark is strong with this one.

Why do people not like custom specials? I would honestly like to know why some people don't like them, because I can't really see any reason not to like them. They add a lot to the game, and give subpar characters a fighting chance.

CoughcoughDORFcoughcough

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
The snark is strong with this one.

Why do people not like custom specials? I would honestly like to know why some people don't like them, because I can't really see any reason not to like them. They add a lot to the game, and give subpar characters a fighting chance.

CoughcoughDORFcoughcough
To be fair, some of them are blatantly stupid and bad for the game in general (custom Villager says hi). The vast majority of customs are fine, though.
As someone who likes the idea of customs overall, I've found there doesn't seem to be any trouble finding setups with everything unlocked anymore, either, which was one of the main arguments against it.

I think it's important to note, however, that after the incoming patch, customs could hurt the balance more than help it, as the patch is going to be based on the customs-off environment, and I don't see Nintendo going out of their way to cater to the non-Japanese playerbase. It's also very likely that Rosalina and Villager, two of the communities' most disliked characters will be the defining characters for the metagame in the competitive scene.

Last edited:

Swampy948

Smash Cadet
It's great and all that Nintendo is working with the competitive community, but don't TOs see that tournaments are losing views and participants because of Project M being removed? As much as I love Melee and I love Nintendo, I also love Project M. I feel like we should cut ties with Nintendo and revive Project M. TOs, please take this into consideration and look at all the comments of people no longer interested because of no PM.

This is my opinion, and what I feel should be done. Yeah I'm sure that there's tons of "Nintendo would sue" and "PMs a mod" or "C&Ds", but still. We're losing a large part of the community because of Nintendo

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
That's what I meant later.
They almost managed to let Melee out of EVO 2013. But the community won the battle, and guess who's sponsoring some tourneys now.
I wasn't saying Nintendo would destroy it anyway, I was saying that they would make this so quickly, since the EVO reaction shows that this might mean some losses for Nintendo, including sales. I do not defend any side (Nintendo would not lose my respect, but I would get mad as heck if they shut the game down, and, as nice their work is, we cannot deny that PM uses not only Nintendo's, but TPC; Creatures inc.; GAME FREAK inc.; Shigesato Itoi stuff; APE inc; HAL Laboratory, Inc; INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS; Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd and SEGA copyright. PM is great, but Copyright is a serious thing. However, I don't think they are SO wrong, since they always give the credits to each company), I'm just saying that we can't always blame Nintendo. In this case, we don't know if it was their action. About my EVO and APEX commentary, don't care about it, I've went a little above to the hills and shown my fanboy side. Since they sponsored it, it was obvious that there would be no Project M. If Nintendo is sponsoring both CEO and TBH, forget about what I said, but let's wait before blaming them.
Note: I wasn't mad yesterday, I just didn't like this at all. My fanboy side is just like Ridley sometimes!

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
Any majors that have smash 4 will not stream PM, nor will any large grassroots tourny because they want nintendos money.
THIS is the crux of the entire issue

TO's are increasingly abandoning PM because they want Nintendos money. It has NOTHING to do with legal threats! Nintendo has never, not once, threatened anyone over anything to do with PM.

TO's just see that Apex got sponsored by Nintendo and they want some of that sweet, sweet corporate funding. But they are never going to get it! They are ditching PM because they believe they are going to get sponsored by Nintendo for doing so, but this literally NEVER HAPPENS. Nintendo Sponsored Apex and Evo because they wanted to. They didnt go 'hmmm lets look at which tourneys are banning PM... ah yes these two, lets write a cheque to them immediately'.

Its not that far off reality. Juggleguy thinks by banning PM he will get Nintendo sponsorship. It's not going to happen.

And worse, if they DO get Nintendo sponsorship, I hope you are all ready for endless 'buy smash 4 on Amazon' plugs on stream and watch melee get pushed to the side when Nintendo truly decides to flex its muscles. They decide when smash 4 is streamed and how long to delay melee for. If you want corporate sponsorship, you play by their rules. Apex was exactly that.

Last edited:

Omegaphoenix

Smash Apprentice

TO's are increasingly abandoning PM because they want Nintendos money. It has NOTHING to do with legal threats! Nintendo has never, not once, threatened anyone over anything to do with PM.

TO's just see that Apex got sponsored by Nintendo and they want some of that sweet, sweet corporate funding. But they are never going to get it! They are ditching PM because they believe they are going to get sponsored by Nintendo for doing so, but this literally NEVER HAPPENS. Nintendo Sponsored Apex and Evo because they wanted to. They didnt go 'hmmm lets look at which tourneys are banning PM... ah yes these two, lets write a cheque to them immediately'.

Its not that far off reality. Juggleguy thinks by banning PM he will get Nintendo sponsorship. It's not going to happen.

And worse, if they DO get Nintendo sponsorship, I hope you are all ready for endless 'buy smash 4 on Amazon' plugs on stream and watch melee get pushed to the side when Nintendo truly decides to flex its muscles. They decide when smash 4 is streamed and how long to delay melee for. If you want corporate sponsorship, you play by their rules. Apex was exactly that.
Apex's problem was they had a day cut short and a literal venue collapse. If the blizzard hadn't happened I think Apex would have been far better. It was the blizzard that caused the problem, not Nintendo.

Unless of course, Nintendo managed to finally procure some storm wizards to ruin the event they were sponsoring.

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599

Yeah, it's certainly not because most tournaments have 2 highlight games and one of them is the staple game(Melee) and the newcomer(SmashU).

Or because both games are going to EVO and they made these 2 games the main events or practice reasons either.

Now don't get me wrong, there very well are some tournaments that probably did drop PM for advertising reasons as stated, but it's heavily doubtful that it is the SOLE reason man. because I get the feeling that even if Nintendo wasn't involved there still would be tournaments highlighting SmashU as a main event like what's being done now-and people are just using Nintendo as a scapegoat to vent out frustrations(look no further then people playing the "they blocked Melee at EVO" card despite the fact that it was explained a million times that it was a legal division that blocked it, not NoA themselves.)

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
This is my version of #oneunit

I will personally put $500 dollars into Melee's pot bonus if you host PM Juggleguy(or whatever you want to put that money towards). I will also stream the event on my own channel (Twitch.Tv/KOsGanonDunk). Someone said put up or shut up. And I say blow me to that. I came from TN solo last year and I won't be attending if PM is not a tournament. This is now a 3 day event, Time is not an issue with 3 days. Hell I will Run PM if you want. Just give us space.

The PM community wants to be part of The Big house because we love the series. We love the TO. And we love being surrounded by smash with the melee community and (most of us) even the S4 community. We just want our slice of the pie.

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice

I will personally put $500 dollars into Melee's pot bonus if you host PM Juggleguy(or whatever you want to put that money towards). I will also stream the event on my own channel (Twitch.Tv/KOsGanonDunk). Someone said put up or shut up. And I say blow me to that. I came from TN solo last year and I won't be attending if PM is not a tournament. This is now a 3 day event, Time is not an issue with 3 days. Hell I will Run PM if you want. Just give us space.

The PM community wants to be part of The Big house because we love the series. We love the TO. And we love being surrounded by smash with the melee community and (most of us) even the S4 community. We just want our slice of the pie.
Wow, this man.

Putting his money/time/resources where his mouth is...

If this pulls through, you'll be the hero that we all need.

LunarySSF2

Smash Rookie
Things are looking so grim for the PM community. I'm a Melee player but I have loved watching Project M. I don't know what to think about that...

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati

I love this! If someone willing to organize a fundraiser for this I would love to chip in as well.Because if this is not about Nintendo, but about money, I think it can be worked out ;)

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
On a minor side note, I thought of a devil's advocate for the PM Scene....

There was an extremely popular Smash tournament series that existed once upon a time, that saw the rise of a Balloon Pokemon, the coming of an Armada, and a fascination with Mangoes.

yes, I speak of Genesis. Now the series was retired due to Melee being upgraded to a staple at EVO, but I can't help but think: why not revive the series as a Project M standard tournament series? IIRC if revived this way this would be the first major Smash tournament with Project M as the main event if done this way(I feel like I may be so wrong though, so quote me if otherwise.)

I mean on one hand, I am devoted to SmashU/3D(Melee too Obv.), and the more exposure it gets the better I say(better that then the alternative most had of killing it stillborn.) but on the other hand...I had a (very)brief stint in the TvC scene,And I was around to witness the crash and burn of PS All-Stars, a game I used to promote way back yonder. I know far too well the pain of a series in turbulent times, and however I nay feel about the relatively controversial origins, I do think PM and it's players should not have to suffer with the wave of paranoia, worry and frustration it has right now.

There is a popular retired series for the taking. contact the higher ups, make some tweaks, make it your own-make your name known, be free, live, and prosper. make the Genesis of Project M, because I know you lot are hella devoted enough to do so.

Ferntendo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ferntendo128
3DS FC
2724-0900-1828
All I really care about is seeing the Gods work their skills on melee. Seeing Smash Wii U on there makes me really happy too. It was obvious that PM was going to die slowly in the community so I'm not that upset.

Top Bottom