• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The BEST way to figure out Brawl's release

Status
Not open for further replies.

beebee

Smash Apprentice
At bestbuy.com, they say that ssbb among other games are coming out march 15

FireBomb

Smash Lord
...And that's why you go to EB Games instead, like me.

Hey how does Mario's look influence the release date of Brawl? I'm amazed how Mario looked his best in Melee, one of the first games for the 'cube, and not any other game than that. Looking at Brawl, that might be as detailed as he gets, too. Galaxy, like other Mario games, will just have him look like he does is most games, smooooth pants and tiny, barely noticable rivets.

Sensai

Smash Master
Don't kid yourselves. The reason Best Buy and GameStop do these things is so that people will continually check into their store.

No one knows when it'll come out, probably not even Nintendo at this point. Patience, my friends. We could spend a lifetime waiting here.

[Edit:]

FireBomb snuck one in before me...

I'm not sure if you're talking about what I said (Brawl and Galaxy each get a quarter) or what someone else said, but I don't think that it actually influences anything at all. I mean, the Brawl Mario looks like any Mario in high-def graphics...

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Don't take anyone's word for it than Nintendo's is the best I can say. Wait until Nintendo makes an anuoncement for the exact date or certain quarter of the year.

Zink

Smash Champion
Amazing that you can try to guess the release date when there IS no release date. The game isn't close to done. I expect some kind of trailer at E3, probably no playable stuff.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
It's coming fall. No idea where I read that, but if you're hoping no later than june or july, tough break.
It's not set in stone, but I think its highly likely that they will release it sometime in november/december, although at E3 (or whatever the new expo is called) they will probably have a playable version, and probably introduce a few more returning chars maby even a new one.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Yes, Brawl won't have online if Nintendo can't make any progress online possibily in the next 2 months. So if online doesn't happen expect to release date to be at least sometime this year.

beebee

Smash Apprentice
I really hope its online. . If i had a choice for it to be released in febuary without online capabilites and january 2008 with online capabilities i would choose january 2008. I really want that feature.:(

Zink

Smash Champion
Exodus, what are you talking about? IGN isn't a good Brawl source. There's only one good Brawl source, and that's the Dojo. Nothing there about no online, or working for two months, or anything.

Biosage X

Smash Apprentice
Guys, you can't believe Best buy, GameStop, EB Games, or any other sources. They must of simply filled in a Number. I can understand GameStop and EB, sort of, because June 1st is the exact center of the year. Best Buy on the other hand, threw alot of people off. and, take a look at this.

Super Mario Galaxy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7849581&st=super+mario+galaxy&type=product&id=1142300186449

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7849616&st=Metroid+Prime+3&type=product&id=1142300186506

and finally; Super Smash Bros. Brawl
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7849705&st=Super+Smash+Bros.+Brawl&type=product&id=1142300186624

Now, every date says March 15th. Cmon guys, we arent all getting these on the same day, hell, i doubt we are getting any of them on March 15th. I think we might get Mario Galaxy in April, and Metroid around christmas time, but thats just my opinion.

FreakoFreako

Smash Apprentice
I think stores are just guessing so that people check more. And it's working, at least for me. XD

Yeah, Nintendo won't release 3 big titles in the same day... Not in the same month.. Maybe same year, although that's also surprising too.. If they release all of them, what are they gonna do in year 2008? O_o Have a surprise in store for us or just LOLOLOL YOU ALREADY BOUGHT THE SYSTEM, TOO LATE!!! HAHAHAHA!!!

Sensai

Smash Master
It's well established that no one believes the release dates set on by GameStop and Best Buy. I already mentioned that a while back, and Freako just reiterated my point.

Biosage X said:
I think we might get Mario Galaxy in April, and Metroid around christmas time, but thats just my opinion.
I would bet it's the other way around. The reason I would say this is that Nintendo has given word that Metroid will be out in 'the next big batch of games.' There's also no reason that the huge title which is sure to be Mario Galaxy would release in April. Keep in mind that Galaxy has been in development for just about forever; it's the remnants of Mario 128, remember? Y'know, that game that was being planned after Mario 64 came out? Jeah, that one.

So there is a possibilitie that brawl might not be online right?
Now to the big part of my post...

This seems to be a huge concern for a lot of you people. While I'm not saying it wouldn't be **** cool, I AM saying that no matter how good it is, people will be dissapointed. Now, before you flame me, hear me out.

a) It will NEVER replace gathering around with a bunch of friends and just beating the **** outta one another. Trash talking in person is so satisfying...
b) With online comes lag. There's no way around it. Even if Nintendo gets things going perfectly, there will be a small bit of lag time, and with this game, those 2 or 3 frames would REALLY count.
c) Complications of how to do characters and how to do stages and how to make friends along with numerous other things will arrise, and knowing Nintendo and their inability to do ANYTHING correctly on the Internets, it will all be **** hard.
d) Set rules for matches, such as items and damage ratios and teams, will be hard to determine, ESPECIALLY if Nintendo doesn't really catch on to how to do online.

Also, using online as to determine Brawl's release date is dumb, to say the least. I don't think it would take very long to create (I'm not a programmer, but how long could it take, really?), nor do I think it would take the extra 10+ months to create a few menus, etc. I think the reason most of you believe it would be delayed, concerning only online things, is because of the shotty online service.

Believe it or not, this can be fixed even if the game is out. That's the beauty of having a system that's hooked up to the internet: it can recieve patches. Hell, I'm not even sure it would need to, as the terrible online is probably all server side.

Feel free to flame after all of that.

/shield
/rant

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Best Buy, Game Stop, and all those other video game sellin' people are only slapping a date on these games so people place preorder money on it.

Once the final date comes out, they can say: "OOPS! IT WAS POOSHED BACK BUT LOL WE HAF UR MONEY!"

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Exodus, what are you talking about? IGN isn't a good Brawl source. There's only one good Brawl source, and that's the Dojo. Nothing there about no online, or working for two months, or anything.
Like I said, I got it from an unreliable source, but it sounds logical. It would be pretty foolish for Hal Labs to slave away trying to make online work if they can't make any progress at all over several months, it would only make delays drag on for months of even years, and God knows we don't want to have to wait until 2009 for Brawl.

King_cobra3600

Smash Apprentice
I really don't think brawl will be ready untill at earliest, augest, but that doesn't seem likely so I'm fully expecting a november/december 07 release, unless they delay it, then I think am Spring 08 release seems likely, I think they only have been working on brawl for about a year, although they do have over double the people working on it then melee had, so I dunno it might be done in less then two years, melee was, anyways, I hope it at least has these features.

* 35+ Chars
* Online Multiplayer
* 51 Event Matches. (may have rehashes though)
* All game modes return
* May be used with Gamecube controller, Classic Controller or a gc style wiimote shell.

They started developing Brawl in 2005.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Now to the big part of my post...

This seems to be a huge concern for a lot of you people. While I'm not saying it wouldn't be **** cool, I AM saying that no matter how good it is, people will be dissapointed. Now, before you flame me, hear me out.

a) It will NEVER replace gathering around with a bunch of friends and just beating the **** outta one another. Trash talking in person is so satisfying...
b) With online comes lag. There's no way around it. Even if Nintendo gets things going perfectly, there will be a small bit of lag time, and with this game, those 2 or 3 frames would REALLY count.
c) Complications of how to do characters and how to do stages and how to make friends along with numerous other things will arrise, and knowing Nintendo and their inability to do ANYTHING correctly on the Internets, it will all be **** hard.
d) Set rules for matches, such as items and damage ratios and teams, will be hard to determine, ESPECIALLY if Nintendo doesn't really catch on to how to do online.[\QUOTE]

Ah screw it I hit quote instead of multiquote =s

This is all true, except for the c). I heard the Wii doesn't have enough space for many patches, I could be wrong but I don't expect anything major to come out online just yet, Nintendo has to get better at that first.

Also, using online as to determine Brawl's release date is dumb, to say the least. I don't think it would take very long to create (I'm not a programmer, but how long could it take, really?), nor do I think it would take the extra 10+ months to create a few menus, etc. I think the reason most of you believe it would be delayed, concerning only online things, is because of the shotty online service.

Believe it or not, this can be fixed even if the game is out. That's the beauty of having a system that's hooked up to the internet: it can recieve patches. Hell, I'm not even sure it would need to, as the terrible online is probably all server side.

Feel free to flame after all of that.

/shield
/rant
If the can't get online up to standard it's going to take them longer to release the game and since Nintendo is new to this online thing they aren't going to do it as easily as Bungie Studios and Microsoft.

Zink

Smash Champion
It would be pretty foolish for Hal Labs to slave away trying to make online work
Lol yeah it would, they're not making the game. ;)
I don't see what's wrong with a late release. I'd rather have a late Brawl than no online.

Sensai

Smash Master
Red Exodus said:
If the can't get online up to standard it's going to take them longer to release the game and since Nintendo is new to this online thing they aren't going to do it as easily as Bungie Studios and Microsoft.
The degree of how bad the online is completely seperate from the game. ENTIRELY. If the online's bad, then that's fine. If they release the game with bad online it's better the no online at all, ESPECIALLY since the online will be fixed and patched up as Nintendo gets used to it.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
^Agreed

Even if it's not online, I'll still enjoy the game. I've lived with non-online games for a while on my GC.

boricuaboy

Smash Apprentice
i think online would be good so they should take there time.. so i could try to challenge people my brothers suck at the game

DSB

Smash Apprentice
I'd like it to release in Fall/Early winter 07. That gives them just enough time to make a great and balanced game without rushing it (a 08 release is too late). The release would coincide with the Holiday period making Brawl a huge system seller. A pricedrop on the system a bit before SSBB's release would also help sell more units.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
What is the average time of making a video game.
I'm not sure what the average is, but Melee was in devolopement for about 18 months. Brawl started devolopement in late May 05, and it's devolopement team is much larger then melees was.

Sensai

Smash Master
It depends on the grade of the game, actually.

Melee took a year and a half, but Twilight Princess took like...4 years?

God knows how long Mario 128 (now Mario Galaxy) has been in development....since Mario 64, I think.

Ok, i have had enough of the negativity.Everybody here is acting all emo over the development of the game.And Zink,why don't you think they are going to have anything playable at E3? They are still one of the largest gaming buisness conventions,and they are also having an E3 esque event in october of 07(Claims say that it will be like the old fassion E3),i believe that some playable content will be available next year.

But anyway people,why the negativity? The time gaps between SSB64 and SSBM were only two years.

Super Smash Bros. was released January 21,1999 in Japan

Super Smash Bros. Melee was released November 21,2001 in Japan

Development for SSBM Began in the year 2000,and because of the small amont of time and the staff size,the game had to be rushed in the development process.Nintendo wanted it to be a GC launch title because the figured it would be somewhat of a system seller,but another reason why it was rushed was because Nintendo wasn't aware of the impact of Super Smash Bros. for it was only their second game in the development series.

About a year after the release after of SSBM,the sales were very astounding,and the game was still at the time selling very rapidly(And to this day,still sales after 6 years after release).Over the years,Nintendo relized how much of an inpact Super Smash Bros. made on the gaming comunity,and to only think that the game was rushed.

In May of 2005 it was announced that the new Super Smash Bros. would be released on the Nintendo Wii as a launch title(But didn't happen),and after a few arangements wth Masahiro Sakurai,president of Sora,development of brawl began shortly after may,and it was then that they were going to develop SSBB to the best of their ability.

You may wonder why this is important,but it actually is because of these points...

1.Nintendo is fully aware that Super Smash Bros. is a massive scale game,and they want it to be the best game possible,which ensures the fact that the game is indeed being worked on to the best of their ability.

2.Unlike the last time,the development team for Super Smash Bros. Brawl is more massive,and the unknown team of developers actually love the Super Smash Bros Franchise.It s only safe to assume that they want to work hard on it.

3.He is on a directive position on the games development,which means that the games creation must avert almost all of his attention.

4.The have plenty of Material from SSB64 and SSBM to reflect on,and they also have a brand new studio for the game.

I don't believe that SSBB will release in 2008,for Nintendo does relize that the game is wanted very badly umong gamers,and they have only had one TECHNICAL delay saying that it would be a launch title.

You must remember,that this isn't the same development team,and they are developing the game under diffirent circumstances,you just gotta have faith in the team.

Later,have happy new year.^_^

P3L!C@N

Smash Cadet
Lol yeah it would, they're not making the game. ;)
I don't see what's wrong with a late release. I'd rather have a late Brawl than no online.
True, it would definitely be a lot better to have a full, complete game even if the release is delayed. I'm tired of games being rushed out to meet demand when vital features of the game are left out because there wasn't enough time to develop it.

Nintendo should take all the time they need.

Zink

Smash Champion
I'm thinking it won't be playable at E3 simply because it is going to be so much smaller. Less impact, because you won't have every video game clerk in the country bloggin about it 5 minutes after they play it anymore. Plus, I don't think they'll have a whole lot playble by then. And finally, I think they want to keep gameplay under wraps as much as possible- right off the bat, people would try to wavedash and such, and there'd be controversy and fanboys would fight and bleh.
If anything is playable, I expect it at that Spaceworld type thing.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking it won't be playable at E3 simply because it is going to be so much smaller. Less impact, because you won't have every video game clerk in the country bloggin about it 5 minutes after they play it anymore. Plus, I don't think they'll have a whole lot playble by then. And finally, I think they want to keep gameplay under wraps as much as possible- right off the bat, people would try to wavedash and such, and there'd be controversy and fanboys would fight and bleh.
I somewhat agree with you, they probably will have another trailer, although they might have it playable, only time will tell.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
I agree. But whoever said they don't care if online is crappy, how many of you haven't been to a tournament, or don't have many decent people compared to you to play with? I'm betting it's zero. I've never played against a serious Link, Y. Link, Falcon, Mario, Bowser, Marth, Peach... and I think I'm forgetting a couple. Now take about half of those left, and the ones I play against just spam a lot of dash attacks and hardly try to use any advanced techniques at all. Now do you see why I want a well polished online mode? XD

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
I agree. But whoever said they don't care if online is crappy, how many of you haven't been to a tournament, or don't have many decent people compared to you to play with? I'm betting it's zero. I've never played against a serious Link, Y. Link, Falcon, Mario, Bowser, Marth, Peach... and I think I'm forgetting a couple. Now take about half of those left, and the ones I play against just spam a lot of dash attacks and hardly try to use any advanced techniques at all. Now do you see why I want a well polished online mode? XD
An online mode possibly divided by a individual ranking system based on wins and losses

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
I don't understand how why you're quoting me there... but Sakurai said most likely they won't include a ranking system, just record wins and losses.

Sensai

Smash Master
I think it was me who mentioned the online thing.

Sure, sure. It'd be a great addition to the game, and you can bet every dollar in your pocket I want it. That being said, there's no way in hell it'll even come close to comparing to beating up people when you're sitting right next to 'em.

And what I meant by saying that crappy online isn't going to delay it is that the online can be fixed, regardless of if the game is out or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom