• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Best Picture 2008

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I totally saw Twilight today (my mother dragged me. Yes, my mother). And I have to say, I give credit to Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart for acting as well they did given the source material they were working off of. They were able to make most of the cheesy dialogue tolerable and they both carried their characters a little further than the book had initially restricted them to. Bella's a little bit more than just awkward and helpless, and Edward's a little bit more than just brooding and bipolar.

That said, there's no getting around the fundamental flaws of the book (no plot) and the movie really overstays it's welcome. Cutting 20-30 minutes of EdwardxBella moody, conflicted romance would've been a net positive for the film, though I'm sure it appealed to the fanbase.

Also, I'll never get over the ****ing glittering skin. This is a VAMPIRE we're talking about, not a tube of Barbie Girl lip gloss.

If Twilight gets a nomination for anything, it should be for most acting potential lost on a single film. I look forward to what the lead actors do in the future.

Blooqkazoo

Smash Journeyman
MADAGASCAR 2!!!!!!!!! I LIKE TO MOVE IT!!!

It's quite entertaining actually. I didn't like the Dark Knight so much. Heath was awesome but way too many dead people in the end. Wall-E gets my vote.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
You realize that some of the Batman comics have far more people dead in them? And only Harvey Dent died in the group of main characters, so I don't follow that logic at all.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Serious contender for Comody is twilight...if you catch my drift.
I f*cking hate Twilight.

I could go on and rant about it, but I'd only stretch the post limit.

So, in other words...

Dark Knight was good, Wall-E was, in my opinion, amazing, Iron Man was good, Role Models was pretty hilarious, Kung-Fu Panda was good, what else...

OH, BODY OF LIES! That was great.

Blooqkazoo

Smash Journeyman
HOLY **** WE FORGOT SPEED RACER!!!111eleven

That movie was alright. And yes I have watched the new Pokémon movie.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Speed Racer is a visual orgasm, but the acting makes me want to drive a railroad spike through my heart.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Cloverfield was decent up until
the funny camera dude died and the main guy and his girl were just hiding under that archway in the daylight
. I don't see it grabbing an award. Besides, didn't it come out, like, last year?

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Incredible Hulk was better than that Ang Lee crap. Colverfield was good but I think it came out last year. Speed Racer lacked something... Maybe I should change this to the all-round Oscars thread. What do you guys think?

Waluigi911

Smash Lord
Why? Don't we have enough movies just in 2008? I mean, the year's almost over, but we haven't even gotten all the Christmas movies that're coming out yet.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Why? Don't we have enough movies just in 2008? I mean, the year's almost over, but we haven't even gotten all the Christmas movies that're coming out yet.
Speaking of which, I totally forgot about The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (it's not a Christmas movie, but I think it comes out Christmas day). That might be a movie to watch out for in terms of best picture potential, depending on how they handle the ending.

D

Deleted member

Just for the record, Cloverfield cam out just after 2007 ended.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Wall.E was good, but movies with no dialogue kind of get on my nerves, I can't get into it if there isn't any conversing. I guess that's why I love Clerks so much.

My point being that the first half of Wall.E was only alright for me.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
Heath definitely deserves that award. I don't know if they can give oscars to someone in that, er, situation though? It's not a lifetime achievement award or anything, it's a current one. I hope they can. He deserves it.
They can, they did it once before for Peter Finch in the Network, and Heath totally deserves it.

MegaMan087

Smash Apprentice
"The Dark Knight" should have been called "Gotham City." Batman had little to nothing to do with the overall plot. It was all Harvey Dent, Commissioner Gordon, and the Joker. Regardless, it was a very good film. I can see it getting a nomination for best picture but not winning.

I haven't heard much about it, but "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" looks promising. We're right in the middle the real Oscar season right now (i.e. Australia, Changeling), so I'm sure the December releases will surprise us plenty.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I haven't heard much about it, but "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" looks promising. We're right in the middle the real Oscar season right now (i.e. Australia, Changeling), so I'm sure the December releases will surprise us plenty.
I'm getting a little worried about these Oscar hopefuls, because some of the films that were thought to be heavy hitters are falling kind of flat. Changeling and Australia are both "rotten" by Rotten Tomatoes' standards.

I've got high hopes for Benjamin Button, but with this kind of trend going on, I'm not ruling out another lukewarm flick. But if it performs well with critics, I think it basically has the win in the bag, because I don't see movies like Revolutionary Road or Milk beating a story as unique as Button, even if they garner good reviews (although Milk has been met with a resoundingly positive response so far, which is nice).

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Actually, being awesome isn't entirely what the Academy is about... plenty of worthy films go completely ignored. The Academy fits a blend somewhere between being too trendy and too stuck up. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead was an absolutely terrific 2007 film, and one of my absolute favorites, and deserved nominations across the board, yet received none.

Also, the Academy has a twinge or two of overattachment to American rhetoric -- non-American actors don't seem to get the big nods. Jurgen Prochnow's spellbinder of a performance in Das Boot comes to mind -- that film on the whole was terrific, but I believe its only nomination was Best Foreign Film, which is a more insulting nomination than it is pleasing. And this isn't limited to films that aren't in English -- or, heck, films that aren't Hollywood productions. Bruce Greenwood was pushed for an Oscar for his performance as President John F. Kennedy in the Cuban Missile Crisis in Thirteen Days. This was shuffled deep into the background, and a lot of film buffs maintain that it's because Greenwood is Canadian.

But American's aren't save from the inflated head that is the Oscars. They may try to be somewhat trendy, but they're deathly afraid of genre filmmaking, no matter how good it is. John Powell's work on any Bourne film, but especially the third one deserved nods for Best Original Score. However, the Academy needs all aspects of a film to hit their prestigious expectations, rather than just the one the particular award relates to.

And few people could make a good case that the original Halloween was not one of the most well-executed films of its year, from a solely directorial standpoint, but then again Hollywood has always had a bone to pick with John Carpenter.

Even fully appreciated maestros get the shaft in genre film work, however. Plenty of well-appreciated filmmakers like Steven Spielberg make films that deserve nods (War of the Worlds for cinematography, for example) and go completely ignored because they're a bunch of stuck up snobs.

Do I think Heath Ledger deserves a nod? Absolutely. He was positively mesmerizing and I don't recall a better performance in this entire year, be it lead or supporting. But right now the Academy is balancing their two primary influences -- their uncontrollable pretension and their uncontrollable desire to be trendy and keep those ratings.

-I

smashbot226

Smash Master
I agree with everyone who said Dark Knight. Not only was the movie epic in itself, but it held other significance, seeing as it was Heath's last film.
Whatever the above guy said, that's no good reason.

Maybe give it a posthumous Best Actor award, but otherwise...

This guy could take the cake. Has anyone even seen this movie TWICE?

Oh right, DARK KNIGHT came out.

Now, don't get me wrong- I liked it, for the surrealism, the look into the psyche of a superhero, but most importantly, Heath Ledger's brilliant performance as The Joker. But I think this movie really has a single dependency:

Heath. Do you think if anyone ELSE was casted as the Joker, do you think the movie would be as hyped? If HEat never had died, would the movie still be as hyped?

Iron Man SPAWNED the good movies of '08. It had everything Dark Knight had except a decent villain and a lighter universe, as opposed to Dark Knight's... darkiness.

And Robert Downey Jr. has had multiple roles- all of them great. And THIS is what got him out of his slump, THIS is the one contender for Best Action Film (Or even Best Picture) alongside Dark Knight...

THIS is what introduced Summer '08.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
You do realize that Iron Man doesn't actually have a chance at best picture, yeah? Best action film, sure. But Iron Man's a popcorn movie. Best picture contenders are much deeper than Iron Man. They're much more focused on story and character development, as well as themes and messages. Iron Man really just focuses on action and Robert Downey Jr. being awesome.

The Dark Knight may be a little overhyped, but it IS a better contender for best picture (though it's still not nominated for a Golden Globe).

Top Bottom