• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Best Picture 2008

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Well this has been a great year for movies but it's time to get serious. What is number 1? Well so far I can think of two big contenders:

Discuss who deserves that nice shiny Oscar. If anyone suggests The Love Guru or The Happening they will be publicly executed.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I definitely agree with your choices.

Well, I don't really agree that Wall-E would go up for best picture... but the visual effects achieved in that movie are unparalleled.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Probably Dark Knight would win this one.

To be honest, I didn't think the movie was as good as people inflated it to be. Not to say it was bad, I thought the movie was great. But it just seemed like people kept saying "best movie ever made" and stuff. I think that's a pushing it a bit.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Wall-E? Best picture? I think not. Though it pretty much has a green light for best animated film.

The Dark Knight's a good choice, but I think I'd be disappointed if it actually won just because it's so overstated. It's definitely worth a nomination. And if it won, I would understand.

The queen in me is really hoping that Milk ends up being phenomenal and takes the Oscar. But since I haven't even seen the movie, I guess it would be jumping the gun a little to really be pushing for it.

As long as Heath Ledger gets the best supporting actor award, I'll be set.

EDIT: Also, Symphony X is one hilarious mofo.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Heath definitely deserves that award. I don't know if they can give oscars to someone in that, er, situation though? It's not a lifetime achievement award or anything, it's a current one. I hope they can. He deserves it.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
My favorite for this year would have to go to The Dark Knight. That movie was brilliant and captured the dark side of the comic style.

I still haven't seen Wall-E though.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
For Pixar, the direction and acting (if you can call it that) are really quite good. Not much of a plot... it's just a really fun childish adventure that makes you feel like a child. Which is great.

And if you appreciate art/animation quality as much as I do... I dunno haha... That movie kept me mesmerized the entire time.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Madigascar 2 anyone
kidding, kidding, but it looks like it's going to be good

Anyway, it definetly has to be the Dark Knight, Babylon A.D. psshh please, it's not going to happen.

Miztik

Smash Master
was Get Smart late last year or early this year if it was this year i choose that but if not

WHY SO SERIOUS?!?!?!?!?

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
You know, I'd actually have to go with The Dark Knight as of now. Can't believe it not because it's a bad movie (it's great, in my opinion) it's just that typically at least one other really good movie has come out by now.

Qckpy01

Smash Apprentice
No no no! The Dark Knight was not "alright". That movie was total **** for the eyes!! There's a reason why some people saw like ten times. Yeah I get everybody is different and have different opinions but c'mon, it's at least better than "allright". Great is good enough. Personally, that movie was epic!!

And yeah as someone stated earlier: "Joker made that movie!"

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
The new Clint Eastwood pic sounds good.
You mean Changeling? Which is already out? And has gotten extremely mixed reviews from critics, basically killing any Oscar buzz it had before?

Waluigi911

Smash Lord
Indeed, Nothing Rhymes with Percuss.

Anyways, despite my appreciation for Dark Knight, I'm gonna be different and give Kung Fu Panda a nomination.

MojoMan

Smash Ace
^TChangeling looks meh. Wall E I think would be good in animated portion. Quantum of Solacw I thought we be a contender, but then I saw it and I wuz liek... no. And as far as I know, AWall E was much better than Kung Fu panda. Haven't seen either one, but they're at the top of my netflix lol.

Waluigi911

Smash Lord
I've actually not seen Wall-E. I try to make it a point to see all the Pixar films at one time or other, 'cause they're always really good, even though they're kid-friendly movies. Only just saw Kung Fu Panda a couple of days ago. Thought it rocked. Was also entertained to see who did the voices afterward... Jack Chan did the howler monkey.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I adore Kung Fu Panda.

Which is why I'm really miffed that Wall-E came out this year, because if it hadn't, Kung Fu Panda would've had a respectable shot at nabbing best animated film. But in all fairness, Wall-E really deserves it more.

So Kung Fu Panda will get a nomination, I'm sure. But I really can't see anyone snatching the win away from Wall-E.

Qckpy01

Smash Apprentice
I disagree, cause I can't imagine that movie being so good without the joker. That's where alright would come in. If anything you might be right in one sense, cause I do think it would of been slightly better without two-face.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
I thought Wall-E wasn't as good as it was going to be when I went into theaters to watch it, so I was shocked and surprised to find myself loving this movie so much by the end of it.

Qckpy01

Smash Apprentice
What?

...What?

......Seriously, WHAT?
:

:laugh: I don't know. I didn't really like Aaron Eckharts performance as a human and then when he goes all "bad" seemed forced. I just think he could have done better.
As for the plot itself, also might have been more straightforward. I mean Joker vs Batman
is the best fight in the Batman universe, hero vs arch-enemy and such.
Or I might not have though it through enough. lol.
Enlighten me.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
:

:laugh: I don't know. I didn't really like Aaron Eckharts performance as a human and then when he goes all "bad" seemed forced. I just think he could have done better.
As for the plot itself, also might have been more straightforward. I mean Joker vs Batman
is the best fight in the Batman universe, hero vs arch-enemy and such.
Or I might not have though it through enough. lol.
Enlighten me.
Well, if it's a matter of Eckhart's performance, then that's your prerogative. I thought he did very well, but I get what you mean when you say his turn to villainy was a little unbelievable.

But I feel like taking Two Face out of the movie entirely wrecks the whole plot. It's really his character arc that you follow; everything rides on him. The idea of Harvey as Gotham's "white knight" and the Joker corrupting him to make a point to the city gave the movie a nice level of complexity.

Without that, it just would've been Batman chasing after the Joker's paper trail of destruction. Which is fine, but then it's just a comic book movie with a great villain. With the Two Face plot, it became much deeper.

That's my take anyway.

Qckpy01

Smash Apprentice
Haha I knew you wouldn't disappoint. Well said my friend. Agree on every level EXCEPT Eckharts performance but of course, that's opinion. : )

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Haha I knew you wouldn't disappoint. Well said my friend. Agree on every level EXCEPT Eckharts performance but of course, that's opinion. : )
Oh. Well thank you. I didn't realize I was in a position to disappoint.

We'll agree to disagree on Eckhart. ;)

Waluigi911

Smash Lord
Two Face freakin' rocked. It wasn't all to convincing why he was just so blindly evil all of a sudden, but I took it with a grain of salt... After all, who's to say that the explosion didn't jar something loose in his brain? Plus, this just gave the movie a great sense of irony, a plot befitting of the Joker. "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Two Face freakin' rocked. It wasn't all to convincing why he was just so blindly evil all of a sudden, but I took it with a grain of salt... After all, who's to say that the explosion didn't jar something loose in his brain? Plus, this just gave the movie a great sense of irony, a plot befitting of the Joker. "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
Think about it. He's just been handed the huge task of creating a better Gotham, a town plagued with crime. Everyone counts on him. And as soon as he takes office, there is a psycho killer on the rise who call himself The Joker, bent on turning him corrupt. That kind of stress alone could take a man down. Add in the fact that the woman he is at the peak of their relationship with has just been killed, and he blames it on Batman. His turn to evil is not all that unbelievable. All the stress and emotions finally blew up in him when the pain of his lost lover tore him down to the point of emotional numbness. He then turned himself to the only thing that fueled him, revenge. The easiest thing to feel, hatred.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Just like to pitch in and say that Wall E was far beyond my expectations.

I took my little brother to see it, and completely fell in love with it. Seriously I didn't want to leave the cinema. I didn't think they could beat Finding Nemo, but I think they did.

**** you Pixar. Too ******* good. Ah I can't wait for the DVD.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Twilight movie sucked worse than the book. Like its written counterpart, it was actually good during the few moments that it had a plot. Other than that, it was a long, dragged out, teenage angst-fest. Sucks that the only parts when the script allowed them to do anything, did the actors actually do good. Most of them were unheard of, and all seemed to have talent.

In other words, don't waste your money.

Top Bottom