• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Best Grand Viper

Rotimer

Smash Cadet
This was from a local tourny in SC. 2 of my pals got matched up early on; granted this was from last year and it may not be the best match or the best display of ike/wolf gameplay ever. But the last kill seals the deal as to why the grand viper is still viable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVTg5zZ4vPk

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
lolgrandvipr

I'm at school so youtube is blocked and I think the grandvipr has outlived it's time and is pretty obsolete

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
its not the best. I did the grand viper and hit a Marth before his counter activated. (Mind games for me yush)

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Ha ha, that Wolf player didn't supsect that attack didn't he. XD

Well, I'll say the Grand Viper is a surprise attack if well used, I haven't seen many Ike's use that move becides two of my friends that use it well very well, (though one of my friends prefer the Grand Slicer, lol *Side-B > F-Tilt).

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
Lol @ you and your friends saying "the Grand Viper!!" at the end. Not bad at all.

Tamis2Hamis

Smash Rookie
The Grand Viper is a very fatal mind game. After performing that GV, my friend (that Wolf player) pretty much rage-quit Smash forever.

Harsh.

metroid1117

Smash Master
This was from a local tourny in SC. 2 of my pals got matched up early on; granted this was from last year and it may not be the best match or the best display of ike/wolf gameplay ever. But the last kill seals the deal as to why the grand viper is still viable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVTg5zZ4vPk
It only worked because he screwed up and fired his blaster the wrong way.

The best Grand Viper I've seen was against a Charizard on Battlefield. The Ike user was on the left edge and the Charizard was on the left lower platform; the Ike user edgehopped QD (bringing him under Charizard), turned around, and UTilted for the kill and the win.

Rotimer

Smash Cadet
That guy's Wolf is worse than mine. That says a lot considering that I dont even secondary wolf.
gratz2u!

Once again, this was not to show off the skill of either player nor to denounce it. Purely a lucky and very epic grand viper finish, if you've had better, post the video. Otherwise, just move along, no one cares that your wolf is better. Thanks to everyone else for the positive feedback. :) If you (FailconV1.0) have any further concerns, I ask you to consult this dinosaur:

……………………._„„„--~~~””””¯””~-,
………………„-~”¯;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;\
…………„-~”;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;\
…….„~”;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;\
…,-“;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;\
../;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;\
…\;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;\
…..\;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;\
…….\;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;\,
………\;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;”-,………………¸~””)
………..\,;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;”-,……….,-~”;;;;;/
……….…\;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;\…..,~“;;;;;;;,-‘.…_,-~"¯¯"~-,
……….…..\;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;”,-“;;;;;;__„-~"¯¯:::,-~~-,_::::"-„
……….……\;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;„~”;;;;„~"¯::::::::::::::"::::::::::::::::::\
……….…….\;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,-~”__„„„-"::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::"~-,
……….……..\;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,-~”-~"::,-':::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::"~-,
……….………\;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;„~"::__„-~":::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::"-,
……….……….\;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;_„-~”:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::_„„-~,~~~~--,:|
………_„„„----~~\.……;;;;;,„-~”¯¸„„--~~-,:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::_,-~":'\'-,:\:|:\|::\|\:|:\:|
..,-~”¯;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;”-;_„„-~”::::::,-‘::::_::::::\:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,~':\'-,::',"-\::'':"::::::::\|:|/
..”-,_;;;;;;;_¸„„--~~””_,-'"~----":|::/,~"¯"-::::|::|:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,~"::\'-,:\;;'-';;;;;;;;;;;,-'::\::|/
…….¯¯¯.………,-':::::::::::::::\'-\~"¯_/:::/::|:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,-',::\'-,:|::";;;;;;;;;;;;,-':\:'-,::\
……….…………|::::::::::::::::::\¸:'~'::::,-'::,':::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,-':\'-,:\'-,';;';;;;;;;;;;;;;,-':\:::'\-,|''
……….………...|::,-~"::::::::::::/"~-~"::,-'::::::::::::::::::::::::_,-~':\'-,|:"'";;;;;;;;;;;;;;,-'¯::'-,:',\|
……….………../::/::::::::::::::::|:::::::::::::::::::::::::::_,„-~"¯\:\'-,|;''-';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,-'--,::\-:\:\|
……….………/::::|::::::::::::::::|::::::::::::::::::::::::,-';;'-';;;;',/;\/;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,-.,|:::\-,:|\|..\|
……….……./:::::::\:::::::::::::::|:::::::::::::::::::::,-';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,-~'''("-.,\:::|\:|::''
……….…...,':::::::,':::::::::::::::|::::::::::::::::::,-'/;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,--'::::::/"~'
……….…..,'::::::::|:::::::::::::::|::::::::::::::,„-~"::|;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,-'::::::::,'::::/
……….…./:::::::::|:::::::::::::„-|--~~""¯¯¯::',:::::,';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,':::::::::::|_,-'
………...,'::::::::::::",:,-~"¯::::|::::"-,::::::::::|:::/;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,':::::::|::::,'
………../:::::::::::::::|::::::::::::|:::::::"-,:::::::\:::|¯¯¯"""~-,~,_/::::::::,':::/
……..,-“::::::::::::::::|::::::::::::|::::::::::"~-,_::|::\: : : : : : |: : \::::::::/:/
…..,-“:::::::::::::::::::|::::::::::::|::",:::::::::::::"-':::\: : : : : :|: : :\::::::|::|\ . . SORRY CHAP, YOU AREN'T GOOD
..,-“::::::::::::::::::::::\::::::::::::|::::",::::::::::::::::::\: : : : : :\: : :|:::::|::|;;\
-“:::::::::::::::::::::::::::"-,::::::::|:::::::",:::::::::::::::/|\ ,: : : : : : : |::::,'/|::::|
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::"-,:::::|::::::::::"-,_::::::::::\|:/|,: : : : : : :|:::|'-,/|:::|
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::"~-,|_::::::::::::::"~-,_:::"-,/|/\:::::::::::\:::\"-/|::|
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|:::"~-,_::::::::::::',"-,:::"_|/\:|\: : : : \::\":/|\|
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|:::::::::::"~-,_:::::\:::\:::"~/_:|:|\: : : '-,\::"::,'\
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|::::::::::::::::::"-,_:'-,::\:::::::"-,|:||\,-, : '-,\:::|-'-„
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|:::::::::::::::::::::::,-,'"-:"~,:::::"/_/::|-/\--';;\:::/:||\-,
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|::::::::::::::::::::::/...'-,::::::"~„::::"-,/_:|:/\:/|/|/|_/:|
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|:::::::::::::::::::::|……"-,::::::::"~-:::::""~~~"¯:::|
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|:::::::::::::::::::::|………"-,_::::::::::::::::::::::::::/
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|:::::::::::::::::::::\………….."~--„_____„„-~~"

metroid1117

Smash Master
Once again, this was not to show off the skill of either player nor to denounce it. Purely a lucky and very epic grand viper finish, if you've had better, post the video. Otherwise, just move along, no one cares that your wolf is better.
Once again? I don't see you responding to anyone else in this thread or in the Youtube video.

Anyway, in the OP you said that the purpose of this video was to show that "the grand viper is still viable." Falconv1.0 is implying (granted, in a rude manner) that you only proved it was viable against bad opponents. Unless it's viable against skilled opponents that place high in tournaments, it's not really worth using. Plus, you titled the thread " The Best Grand Viper;" I think I speak for all of us that we were hoping for some epic mindgames rather than a lucky player mistake (Wolf shooting the wrong way).

About the Grand Viper as a move though, I just thought of something: instead of QD'ing up to your opponent so that you're at a jab/grab distance, QD up to your opponent so that you're at the distance for a tipper'd UTilt; it would be much more surprising than going up to their face, since they will shield to either trigger the laggy QD hit or block the usual jab. (<-------------- Directed at everyone, not just the OP)

Rotimer

Smash Cadet
why is this still alive? just stop replying to this stupid thread all the good Ike's know that QD blows as an attack and spacing tool.

All the good ike's know theres only ONE way to play a good ike!

Thank you ike god, please display more of your amazing ability to generalize and make uneducated posts with that title you were granted!

Metroid1117 said:
Once again? I don't see you responding to anyone else in this thread or in the Youtube video.
That was a direct reply to FailconV1.0, hence the quote. (you quoted me in the wrong order, that may have influenced your misreading)

Metroid1117 said:
Anyway, in the OP you said that the purpose of this video was to show that "the grand viper is still viable." Falconv1.0 is implying (granted, in a rude manner) that you only proved it was viable against bad opponents. Unless it's viable against skilled opponents that place high in tournaments, it's not really worth using. Plus, you titled the thread " The Best Grand Viper;" I think I speak for all of us that we were hoping for some epic mindgames rather than a lucky player mistake (Wolf shooting the wrong way).
I dont think he was implying that at all. How can you make such a blanket statement that everyone who ever reads this was hoping for the best match in the entire world? pretty ridiculous eh? And if you really think that luck will never play a roll in smash brothers and only pure skill and mind games will win you matches, I think you may want to find a new game. (see tripping)

Metriod1117 said:
About the Grand Viper as a move though, I just thought of something: instead of QD'ing up to your opponent so that you're at a jab/grab distance, QD up to your opponent so that you're at the distance for a tipper'd UTilt; it would be much more surprising than going up to their face, since they will shield to either trigger the laggy QD hit or block the usual jab. (<-------------- Directed at everyone, not just the OP)
I agree a perfectly spaced QD is much better and probably would be better almost every time. The fact that even against the best player, it will work once is enough to make it viable in any variation.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
All the good ike's know theres only ONE way to play a good ike!

Thank you ike god, please display more of your amazing ability to generalize and make uneducated posts with that title you were granted!
no you idiot its just that out of all the ways to play Ike out there none of them include using QD as an attack or a spacing tool.

How the **** is my post uneducated? Do you honestly think that you know my own character better than me?

metroid1117

Smash Master
That was a direct reply to FailconV1.0, hence the quote. (you quoted me in the wrong order, that may have influenced your misreading)
Oops, I mis-read your OP. My bad.

I dont think he was implying that at all. How can you make such a blanket statement that everyone who ever reads this was hoping for the best match in the entire world? pretty ridiculous eh? And if you really think that luck will never play a roll in smash brothers and only pure skill and mind games will win you matches, I think you may want to find a new game. (see tripping)
We weren't hoping for "the best match in the world," we were hoping for a match against skilled players. Your argument is that the Grand Viper, something that was made up in the first days of Brawl's release, is still viable. Things that are viable are consistent, hence reliable, even in higher levels of play. For example, Wario's aerial grab release animation is so laggy that you can get off an UTilt after the release. If you're playing a Wario who's hard to edgeguard or you're having trouble getting that final blow, all you have to do is get him above 110% and then go for the grab to kill him. It always works if performed correctly, no matter who the opponent is, which is why it's viable. Other things that are viable are BThrow -> dash attack; while it doesn't work 100% of the time even when done correctly, the point is that it works most of the time at the proper %. Luck does plays a role in matches (random suicides, lucky techs, tripping, etc.), but by no means is it something to fall back on; that would be like spamming FSmash and just hoping you're going to hit at least once, because there's always the possibility of it connecting. Your Grand Viper only connected because your opponent screwed up; by no means did you prove that it was neither reliable or consistent. If you pulled it off several times against a skilled (i.e. places high in tournaments) opponent who wasn't screwing up our opinion might change, but your video did not make the Grand Viper any more viable in my eyes.

Random comment: The people I've played in tournaments (including myself) won't intentionally capitalize on their opponent if they trip.

Aurorazoni

Smash Journeyman
Well Rotimer here is the issue
Your thread is an absolute disclaimer. I wasn't expecting the best match in the world, but I was hoping for something far more exciting and competitive than what I saw. If it were just called something like Nice Grand Viper KO or something else humble you probably wouldn't get so many sparks sent towards you.

Degrading other Ikes in this thread and bluntly talking to Arturito that was is making you look really arrogant. He had a point, bumping inactive threads such as a thread like this is very unnecessary.

I'm not saying you're a bad Ike player or anything, because hey :p at least you go to Offline events and such, but if you're going to advertise that something is the best. At least post a somewhat decent match.

:x don't kill me guys

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
its fine aurorazoni this thread is at the top anyways. What really bugs me is that this has been discussed many times over by people who know what they are talking about. My thread is like a history of the Ike boards and there are about 3 threads and probably good number of pages dedicated to this topic with people who actually know what they are talking about and bring up good evidence for it maybe being viable.

Not just some lucky kill on a lame match, even after all the actual QD talk people have come up with the same answer over and over again very situational.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I'm going to have to side with AB on this one and confirm what he said.

Quick Draw is a good move when used at specific, uncommon moments. The English language has a term for that:

Situational.

I'm probably one of the biggest Quick Draw fans around and even I say you can't use it much. That's just asking to lose.

Rotimer

Smash Cadet
I'll agree with Aurorazoni as well as Metriod, I should have made the title something less flamboyant. My mistake, wont happen again.

As for blue boy; your godly knowledge is too much for me and I have no choice but to conform to the good ikes such as yourself who clearly contain every shred of gameplay tips, tricks and useless data about YOUR character that you hold so dear and play my ike (that i dont play) the honest and true way. I bow before your awesome might as king of the ikes and ike boards. Now that your epeen is good and hard; how about you make a fist, stick out your thumb and sit on it.

Nothing more to see here. Move along.

Top Bottom