• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The best comeback character move?

Best Comeback Move?

• Total voters

BlackCore8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BLCore
So I was wondering what is the best comeback move in the game. I know making a comeback requires skills but some characters just need ONE thing to turn the tides in battle. Happy voting everyone!:)

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
I feel you should include landing a spike on someone as well, it is very satisfying when you are down 100% and manage to get your opponent off stage and get an early gimp.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
My vote goes to counters considering you have to get "hit" in order for it to work. It's a high-risk high-reward that really makes the game fun in my opinion.

lbrasz44

Smash Apprentice
Wario's waft should be on the list too, nothing like hitting and knocking the opponent out when they're at 50 and you're over 100% on the last stock :yeahboi:

Other than that, G&W's judgement getting a 9 is pure hype

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Which is the hypest or which is the most practical? If it's the latter than without a doubt Lucario's aura, Lucario mains make a living killing players while at high percents. Everything else either requires a really hard read or incredible luck.

If we're talking about hype then I'll go with the Nein. It's already hard to hit, so having the guts to go for that move when there's only a one in nine chance is really hype when it lands.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
When you land the dunk with DK to close a stock early when you were at over 130%.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Everything else either requires a really hard read or incredible luck.
Now, I'm no Little Mac or Jiggs player, not by a long shot, but I'm pretty sure that Rest and KO Punch have reliable setups. How reliably you can setup the setup is a little up in the air, but I've seen high mileage come out of Sing canceled by a ledge grab go into Rest. Same with dtilt into KO Punch.

However simply because I don't respect Jigglypuff's legitimacy as a character, I voted for 9 and KO Punch. Just the fact that you can dthrow into a "guaranteed" 9 is incredible. KO Punch really can't be ignored when it's basically the only move in the game designed to be a game changing comeback move, rather than just "the secret weapon".

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Now, I'm no Little Mac or Jiggs player, not by a long shot, but I'm pretty sure that Rest and KO Punch have reliable setups. How reliably you can setup the setup is a little up in the air, but I've seen high mileage come out of Sing canceled by a ledge grab go into Rest. Same with dtilt into KO Punch.

However simply because I don't respect Jigglypuff's legitimacy as a character, I voted for 9 and KO Punch. Just the fact that you can dthrow into a "guaranteed" 9 is incredible. KO Punch really can't be ignored when it's basically the only move in the game designed to be a game changing comeback move, rather than just "the secret weapon".
I forgot about Little Mac and his setups, I'll give you that. However, I don't think Jigglypuff has any setups into sleep, otherwise she wouldn't be brought up so much in discussions regarding bottom 5s. I'm aware of the sing ledge cancel, but it's a bit too easy to punish and avoid. I've tried it before and it's only worked on players that had never seen it before.

I still think Aura's better than both though.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
wario waft.

it builds up naturally over time, doesn't dissipate even if ko'd, can get pre-100% kills and wario can just play the stalling game until he's in a favourable position to use it (top-tier airspeed and a roaming hitbox in bike help in that sense). i'd say the only drawback with it is that it has (that i'm aware of) no guaranteed confirms, so it requires a bit of reading to connect, and it puts wario in something of a disadvantage if it whiffs.

i think it's important to consider the rest of the kit that the move is attached to when considering its viability as a comeback. wario has a great kit even without the waft and doesn't have too much difficulty setting it up when he needs to. contrast that with, say, rest (mediocre kill confirm tethered to an underwhelming character) or k.o. punch (mac is great in his element, but dies earlier than the rest of the cast), and i'd say waft is undoubtedly the best comeback move relative to its ability to connect within the match.

that or true shoryuken because c'mon dying at 60-odd% because of u-tilt lock is insane.

Last edited:

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
KO punch is so bad, it's not easy to set up and good luck getting that set up without losing the punch or getting screwed over by it's deceptively small hitbox or it's unnecessary windbox.

I guess Wario Waft or Aura would be the best.

Last edited:

VenomCB

Smash Cadet
KO punch is so bad, it's not easy to set up and good luck getting that set up without losing the punch or getting screwed over by it's deceptively small hitbox or it's unnecessary windbox.
Deceptively small hibox? I've been hit by it in places I never knew I could be... like from behind him. Have you seen this?
Personally my favorite comeback move is to Ganoncide when they are at like 0% last stock and I'm well about 100% my last stock.:4ganondorf: example: https://youtu.be/Y5yEyy6XPms?t=1m46s

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
For Robin, it's a mid-air Thoron snipe when they're near the left or right blastzone or an Elwind meteor smash. But in general? It's tricky for me to decide, but I can settle down on any of those options.

BlackCore8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BLCore
Forgot to include Wario's waft and spike. You may change your answers now if you like.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
My vote goes to the 9 Hammer. I think it's really hype when it appears, and if you get the wrong number, you could die.

I think you should add Game & Watch's Oil Panic. That can kill confirm off a down throw at 0.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
It depends on what you mean. I find spikes to be the most practical. I don't play any of the characters in the OP, but I assume that landing 9 is pretty satisfying. I'm not to impressed by waft though.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I once killed a Falco at 64% with a down smash from Lucario. At High Aura. So keeping in mind that he could potentially died even sooner had I been at Max Aura, I'm going to go with Aura. Of course, there's also nothing like the feeling of lag zero-to-deathing your opponent.

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
wario waft.

it builds up naturally over time, doesn't dissipate even if ko'd, can get pre-100% kills and wario can just play the stalling game until he's in a favourable position to use it (top-tier airspeed and a roaming hitbox in bike help in that sense). i'd say the only drawback with it is that it has (that i'm aware of) no guaranteed confirms, so it requires a bit of reading to connect, and it puts wario in something of a disadvantage if it whiffs.

i think it's important to consider the rest of the kit that the move is attached to when considering its viability as a comeback. wario has a great kit even without the waft and doesn't have too much difficulty setting it up when he needs to. contrast that with, say, rest (mediocre kill confirm tethered to an underwhelming character) or k.o. punch (mac is great in his element, but dies earlier than the rest of the cast), and i'd say waft is undoubtedly the best comeback move relative to its ability to connect within the match.

that or true shoryuken because c'mon dying at 60-odd% because of u-tilt lock is insane.
Waft does have guaranteed confirms.

Falling upair to waft is guaranteed on much of the cast in the 20%-50%ish range. 2nd hit of nair to waft I believe is as well in these same percent ranges although it all varies by character.

Canceled Dair to halfwaft I believe is guaranteed. Dair to full waft is something like 50/50 I believe because it comes out on a later frame than half waft.

Sourspot fair to waft is guaranteed if opponent DIs incorrectly.

If wario is in position to do it, having a bike lying on the ledge that is farted on is pretty much guaranteed to hit any up B recovering low unless the wario player screws up the timing. And that's hard to do honestly because the bike extends the hitbox forever.

Side B to waft seems to be a crapshoot.

So there's the ones I know...but yeah waft has a ton of setups.

I think Lucario aura gets my vote though because if Wario misses waft he's done...but aura can be used constantly until the opponent KOs you.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Waft does have guaranteed confirms.

Falling upair to waft is guaranteed on much of the cast in the 20%-50%ish range. 2nd hit of nair to waft I believe is as well in these same percent ranges although it all varies by character.

Canceled Dair to halfwaft I believe is guaranteed. Dair to full waft is something like 50/50 I believe because it comes out on a later frame than half waft.

Sourspot fair to waft is guaranteed if opponent DIs incorrectly.

If wario is in position to do it, having a bike lying on the ledge that is farted on is pretty much guaranteed to hit any up B recovering low unless the wario player screws up the timing. And that's hard to do honestly because the bike extends the hitbox forever.

Side B to waft seems to be a crapshoot.

So there's the ones I know...but yeah waft has a ton of setups.
There you go, then. My point is made for me. ;3

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
For me, Rosalina and Mega Man's down air spike is the best comeback move ever, especially when I'm over 100% damage.

LozNerd

Smash Apprentice
Rest, I once rested a guy at 30% who was trying to reverse warlock punch me lol.

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
I forgot about Little Mac and his setups, I'll give you that. However, I don't think Jigglypuff has any setups into sleep, otherwise she wouldn't be brought up so much in discussions regarding bottom 5s. I'm aware of the sing ledge cancel, but it's a bit too easy to punish and avoid. I've tried it before and it's only worked on players that had never seen it before.

I still think Aura's better than both though.

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
Possibly Little Mac's KO punch.

Simply because you can't escape a KO punch once you're like over 45%. Some characters survive meteor smashes at that percent.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Some of my greatest comebacks have been dramatic PKT juggles into PKT2, killing at 30%, thanks to rage on my last stock.
Have to say though, shield breaking comebacks are the hope-bringing stuff underdog stories are made of.

LozNerd

Smash Apprentice
Why Ganon's Utilt? Are there any setups for it? It seems slow and easily avoided with no setups.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I voted for the Aura and for a spike

The aura: Lucario was basically built around making a comeback, so that when you are getting your butt kicked, you become one read away from regaining momentum, or even winning the match. Probably the best way to make a comeback.

Spikes/gimps: this is the reason why Smash as a series has so many comebacks. No other fighting game has this mechanic, and it is an option that every single character has. Your opponent may be up 2 stocks on you, and you may be at 100% on your last stock, but you know you haven't lost, because all you have to do is get 2 solid edgeguards before they get a read for the KO. Such a great way to come back in any game, and steal wins that you have no business taking.

Lazyboy0337

Smash Journeyman
Wario Waft. Compared to the other moves, Waft is a step above in that you only get to use this move once (maybe twice) per game. You really need to plan this move out, but if used carefully it wins games instantly.

Top Bottom