• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Honestly, it'd be pretty freakin' hilarious if Smash got not one, not two, but three characters affiliated with Sony that would given PSASBR a lot more clout to would-be fans of the game. :p

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
So after being stuck on page 3 pretty much for it's whole existence, in just 2 days this thread got to page 6.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So after being stuck on page 3 pretty much for it's whole existence, in just 2 days this thread got to page 6.
The confirmation that the N-Sane Trilogy will be coming to the Nintendo Switch is basically the biggest reason for the activity increase. At least I don't have to waste a single dollar on the PS4 now.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I still think it's pretty out there, and not really much of a chance to happen, but we got Cloud so anything is possible. If it were to happen at all, now would be the time. I think the main difference is that I don't know how popular Crash is in Japan. So far every 'out there' character to make it in has been a massive series in Japan.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I still think it's pretty out there, and not really much of a chance to happen, but we got Cloud so anything is possible. If it were to happen at all, now would be the time. I think the main difference is that I don't know how popular Crash is in Japan. So far every 'out there' character to make it in has been a massive series in Japan.
Funny you should mention that. As a fun fact, Crash 2 was the first western-created game to sell over a million copies in Japan. In his heyday, Crash was really popular over there.

Sir Ridley XII

Smash Cadet
Old School Japanese Crash Commercials:

Crash Bandicoot was given his own theme song used in the Japanese commercials. Could no doubt be an easter egg in Smash Bros.

Crash Bandicoot almost didn't make it to sell in Japan after one of Sony's marketing directors took an inspect at the cover-art of the first Crash game and found Crash to look aggressive with the in-your-face grin, then his design in Japan was altered to give him larger sparkly eyes, thicker eyebrows and a smile with less teeth showing out.

SALES IN JAPAN:

Crash Bandicoot/Kurasshu Bandikū: 0.94m (December 1996)

Kurasshu Bandikū 2: Korutekkusu no Gyakushū!: 1.31m (December 1997)

Kurasshu Bandikū 3: Buttobi! Sekai Isshu: 1.42m (December 1998)

Crash Team Racing: 0.44m (December 1999)

Crash Bash/Kurasshu Bandikū Kānibaru: 0.19m (December 2000)

Kurasshu Bandikū 4: Sakuretsu! Majin Pawā: 0.24m (December 2001) [PS2 only]

N. Sane Trilogy: 0.07m (as of June 2017) [PS4 only]

Source: vgchartz.com, some sale information is missing or otherwise not recorded. Crash of the Titans and Mind Over Mutant were not released in Japan.

Last edited:

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
If this does happen, I honestly don't see Crash getting in the base game. Crash really hasn't had that much buzz for Smash until after this direct. So hey, if you guys get your voices heard I could totally see him getting added down the line like Cloud did.

Imagine if Cloud and Snake came back, too. We'd have 0 reason for a Playstation All-Stars 2 to exist. That's hilarious.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If this does happen, I honestly don't see Crash getting in the base game. Crash really hasn't had that much buzz for Smash until after this direct. So hey, if you guys get your voices heard I could totally see him getting added down the line like Cloud did.
I'd say that's his best chance aswell, it's likely that the roster for this game was finalized before the N. Sane Trilogy was even out on the PS4, and a Switch port probably wasn't on the cards until they knew about the extend of both the N. Sane Trilogy and the Switch's successes. If the Switch port sells well then I imagine he'll be a hot topic for DLC.

Last edited:

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
I'd say that's his best chance aswell, it's likely that the roster for this game was finalized before the N. Sane Trilogy was even out on the PS4, and a Switch port probably wasn't on the cards until they knew about the extend of both the N. Sane Trilogy and the Switch's successes. If the Switch port sells well then I imagine he'll be a hot topic for DLC.
Ya'll know what that means. Try to get your voices heard as much as possible. I know I'll be doing my part.

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I think only Rayman has a higher chance of getting in when it comes to third party characters.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I think people should pay more attention to what the Nintendo Direct Announcer said when he was revealing the Crash games to Switch.
He said something like "The impossible would only be impossible until it became possible"

I may be being too optimistic here, but I think even this must mean something to his inclusion in Smash.

And there's more! Launching the Crash games on the Switch will happen in July, after E3 has happened.
I believe that revealing Crash for Smash during E3 would make Nintendo become wildly popular, and would also boost the game on the Switch.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I think people should pay more attention to what the Nintendo Direct Announcer said when he was revealing the Crash games to Switch.
He said something like "The impossible would only be impossible until it became possible"

I may be being too optimistic here, but I think even this must mean something to his inclusion in Smash.

And there's more! Launching the Crash games on the Switch will happen in July, after E3 has happened.
I believe that revealing Crash for Smash during E3 would make Nintendo become wildly popular, and would also boost the game on the Switch.
What also made me curious is the fact they called Crash a "gaming icon" on the Direct, which at the very least confirms they're aware of Crash's importance on the videogame industry.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Hey guys... Don't look to much into it.

I mean, if you clearly want to be looking for hints. Remember how he said "Crash will be Whomp-ing" Into Switch?
It's clearly teasing us a cross over of Crash Bandicoot and Whomp from Super Mario World. :troll:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014

I mean, if you clearly want to be looking for hints. Remember how he said "Crash will be Whomp-ing" Into Switch?
It's clearly teasing us a cross over of Crash Bandicoot and Whomp from Super Mario World. :troll:
hm...

I want this now

Zeox

Smash Champion
I would be surprise if Crash doesn't end in this new Smash, seriously, when they decided to port the remake to the switch I can't imagine nintendo asking them if they would let them add crash in smash.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I would be surprise if Crash doesn't end in this new Smash, seriously, when they decided to port the remake to the switch I can't imagine nintendo asking them if they would let them add crash in smash.
Just keep in mind that no one (other than veterans and the Inklings) are 100% lock. Playstation fans thought that Crash had 100% chance of appearing in Playstation Allstars but he nor Spyro nor Cloud appeared. I just don't want people getting disappointed because their expectations were too high.

ZRoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4868-5857
I really think Crash is gonna be in Smash Switch. IMO he's the only logical next guest character, unless if I'm missing someone. He'll be perfect. I wasn't even a supporter for him before, but with the Crash trilogy coming out, I'm now hoping for it.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I really think Crash is gonna be in Smash Switch. IMO he's the only logical next guest character, unless if I'm missing someone. He'll be perfect. I wasn't even a supporter for him before, but with the Crash trilogy coming out, I'm now hoping for it.
Banjo still has a good chance as he was already giving the green light by Phil Spencer (Head of Xbox) to be in the last Smash Bros. I doubt He has changed his mind. The only reason so far the we believe Crash even has a chance is the Remaster is coming to the Switch. We could be reading too much into that or it could be too early and he'll be announced as DLC like Cloud was.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Pretty sure they just found the one guy who couldn't say "wumpa fruit" for the announcement but who knows?

Just keep in mind that no one (other than veterans and the Inklings) are 100% lock. Playstation fans thought that Crash had 100% chance of appearing in Playstation Allstars but he nor Spyro nor Cloud appeared. I just don't want people getting disappointed because their expectations were too high.
Not even all the veterans are a shoo-in. We can only be sure on those seen in the flames.

Darkraid

Smash Champion

I think Crash has the biggest chance of being in Smash. That's because all of the other gaming icons are already in Smash and there's like no one left besides Crash.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I think Crash has the biggest chance of being in Smash. That's because all of the other gaming icons are already in Smash and there's like no one left besides Crash.
What about Banjo & Kazooie? Smash Bros is mostly a Nintendo Allstars game. Even most of the guest characters have had strong connections to Nintendo (Sonic & Megaman especially). You can say it has evolved but that doesn't change the focus. Nintendo. It's better in my opinion that some of the lesser known Nintendo characters join than a character who has almost no exclusive history join. If I had a choice between Banjo & Kazooie or Crash I'd say Banjo & Kazooie fits better as they started out as Nintendo characters.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
What about Banjo & Kazooie? Smash Bros is mostly a Nintendo Allstars game. Even most of the guest characters have had strong connections to Nintendo (Sonic & Megaman especially). You can say it has evolved but that doesn't change the focus. Nintendo. It's better in my opinion that some of the lesser known Nintendo characters join than a character who has almost no exclusive history join. If I had a choice between Banjo & Kazooie or Crash I'd say Banjo & Kazooie fits better as they started out as Nintendo characters.
They are from Xbox. The character must have appeared on Nintendo before. Even Cloud appeared on 3DS. UPDATE: Sorry my bad, they were on N64. My point is invalid.

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
They are from Xbox. The character must have appeared on Nintendo before. Even Cloud appeared on 3DS. UPDATE: Sorry my bad, they were on N64. My point is invalid.
I would like to add that Phil Spencer (Head of Xbox) has said that he saw "no issues" with working with Nintendo and would be fine with Banjo & Kazooie being in Smash. This admittedly was during the last Smash Bros but, I doubt he has changed his mind since then.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It seems like it would help Banjo's chances that the Switch version of Minecraft got official skins of Microsoft characters (including Banjo), but I feel like including him as a full-blown character in Smash would be much more complicated.

Sir Ridley XII

Smash Cadet
Possible Item Inclusions:

#1: Aku-Aku Mask (outside Final Smash-realms)

Origin: Crash Bandicoot (1996)

Function: Much like the Dragoon from Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it is required to pick up three of these masks in order to activate Aku-Aku's invincibility, it lasts longer than a star man. If you pick up one Aku mask, he will fly by your side in his standard brown mask form, get hit once however, and he disappears starting the collect process again. Two Aku masks turns Aku-Aku orange/yellow and getting hit only reverses to his previous color. The Aku masks spawn in Aku-Aku crates.

Demonstration:

Sound Effect:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EXvH_ahUx5B1jVqZQT_8c4cSa3fPniOE/view?usp=sharing

#2: Bubble Shield

Origin: Crash Team Racing (1999)

Function: These shields come up floating in the air like a bubble. At first when you grab one, it is blue but as it weakens, it gradually turns green. Leaving it for too long will result in it fading. You are able to press the B button to throw the shield at any time while it is protecting you, and it would be a sneaky move to throw it just as it is about to fade out. Note that in Crash Team Racing and Crash Nitro Kart, you need 10 Wumpa fruit which you collect during races to upgrade the shield power-up from green to blue.

Demonstration:

Sound Effect: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zR7XO-joJkoF5Ps_AmqlQBe0Ij6G0m8t/view?usp=sharing

#3: Lightning Bolt

Origin: Crash Bash (2000)

Function: This works a little differently from the Mario Kart lightning bolt. When you pick it up, a timer will start, for about 10 seconds. The lightning bolt will appear on top of the player's head once he/she picks it up and stay that way until the timer is up, and once it is, the other players that don't have the lightning bolt get struck by lightning taking a good amount of damage and knocking them out until you either hit them again or they wake up. Other players are able to steal the lightning bolt however simply by hitting the player that currently has it picked up.

Demonstration:

Sound Effect: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14Q4sJB9pAWr-Iph_5k4ML9eE-tGu3Qby/view?usp=sharing

#4: 500 lbs Weight

Function: Much like picking up a lightning bolt, only it's much more negative for the player that has it picked up. Once they touch it, it will be visible on the player's head and the timer will start, if the timer runs out on the player that has it, a 500 pound weight falls straight on their head. However, they are able to save themselves by chasing the other players, hitting them and whoever gets hit by the person with the weight on his/her head, it will spread to that victim instead.

Demonstration:

Sound Effect: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eQ3JYprHn_cP5D3sTTLcJLiLVrgGz3VF/view?usp=sharing

#5: N. Brio's Beaker

Function: Pick up one of these and then throw it on the ground (or on a player) to release a jumping green blob that damages other players by suckling their health and giving it to the player that threw the blob.

Demonstration:

Sound Effect: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tqTgCoMkfElPgD12UB19EpD1CCEU2VdL/view?usp=sharing

Credit to ProsafiaGaming and GarlandTheGreat for the clips.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Possible Item Inclusions:

#1: Aku-Aku Mask (outside Final Smash-realms)

Function: Much like the Dragoon from Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it is required to pick up three of these masks in order to activate Aku-Aku's invincibility, it lasts longer than a star man. If you pick up one Aku mask, he will fly by your side in his standard brown mask form, get hit once however, and he disappears starting the collect process again. Two Aku masks turns Aku-Aku orange/yellow and getting hit only reverses to his previous color. The Aku masks spawn in Aku-Aku crates.

Demonstration:

Sound Effect:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EXvH_ahUx5B1jVqZQT_8c4cSa3fPniOE/view?usp=sharing

#2: Bubble Shield

Origin: Crash Team Racing (1999)

Function: These shields come up floating in the air like a bubble. At first when you grab one, it is blue but as it weakens, it gradually turns green. Leaving it for too long will result in it fading. You are able to press the B button to throw the shield at any time while it is protecting you, and it would be a sneaky move to throw it just as it is about to fade out. Note that in Crash Team Racing and Crash Nitro Kart, you need 10 Wumpa fruit which you collect during races to upgrade the shield power-up from green to blue.

Demonstration:

Sound Effect: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zR7XO-joJkoF5Ps_AmqlQBe0Ij6G0m8t/view?usp=sharing

#3: Lightning Bolt

Function: This works a little differently from the Mario Kart lightning bolt. When you pick it up, a timer will start, for about 10 seconds. The lightning bolt will appear on top of the player's head once he/she picks it up and stay that way until the timer is up, and once it is, the other players that don't have the lightning bolt get struck by lightning taking a good amount of damage and knocking them out until you either hit them again or they wake up. Other players are able to steal the lightning bolt however simply by hitting the player that currently has it picked up.

Demonstration:

Sound Effect: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14Q4sJB9pAWr-Iph_5k4ML9eE-tGu3Qby/view?usp=sharing

#4: 500 lbs Weight

Function: Much like picking up a lightning bolt, only it's much more negative for the player that has it picked up. Once they touch it, it will be visible on the player's head and the timer will start, if the timer runs out on the player that has it, a 500 pound weight falls straight on their head. However, they are able to save themselves by chasing the other players, hitting them and whoever gets hit by the person with the weight on his/her head, it will spread to that victim instead.

Demonstration:

Sound Effect: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eQ3JYprHn_cP5D3sTTLcJLiLVrgGz3VF/view?usp=sharing

#5: N. Brio's Beaker

Function: Pick up one of these and then throw it on the ground (or on a player) to release a jumping green blob that damages other players by suckling their health and giving it to the player that threw the blob.

Demonstration:

Sound Effect: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tqTgCoMkfElPgD12UB19EpD1CCEU2VdL/view?usp=sharing

Credit to ProsafiaGaming and GarlandTheGreat for the clips.
I believe the Aku Aku mask would fit better as Crash's Final Smash. It wouldn't make much sense to also give it to other characters through itens.

About the lightning, the problem with it is that people would likely think it's the one from mario kart, not Crash Bash.

The Brio's Beakers idea seems interesting and I love the bubble and the weight ideas.

Last edited:

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I think Crash is one of the more likely third-parties. He's one of gaming biggest icons and there's a lot you could do with him. He'd definitely be my first choice, besides maybe Rayman.

I'm sure people have pointed it out before, but imagine if Smash Bros got Solid Snake, Crash Bandicoot, and Cloud Strife while the actual Playstation All-Stars fighting game couldn't. :laugh:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The confirmation that the N-Sane Trilogy will be coming to the Nintendo Switch is basically the biggest reason for the activity increase. At least I don't have to waste a single dollar on the PS4 now.
Except that Stick of Truth. Damn. I wish The Fractured But Whole came with the first game as it does on every other incarnation of the game.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Considering Crash is back in the groove of things, I'd consider him the top pick for newcomer third parties.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
The only reason Crash didn't get too much buzz is because of the misconcept an absurd amount of people have about him thinking he is a "sony character".

I'm confident because, as i said previously, they did give us a hint that they're aware of Crash's importance. Also, i just checked and, in the Japan direct, the NST port was announced just before the Splatoon expansion. I don't know if that is really something to think about or if it's just a coincidence. It may be a signal they're trying to revitalize Crash's popularity there.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Quote me on this:
In Crash's trailer they will say "Crash the Smash"

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Wow yall, Crash is by far the most nominated character in RTC, most likely he will be the first rated character after the first month of set days is done.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Wow yall, Crash is by far the most nominated character in RTC, most likely he will be the first rated character after the first month of set days is done.
Pardon my ignorance, but what does RTC stands for?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Kind of wild this character is even possible, and yet, here we are.

If you told me 10 years ago after I finally got my paws all over Brawl that we would have Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud and basically the lead character of the successor series to Devil May Cry, I would have called it bad fan fiction.

Of the top 3rd party newcomer candidates (Rayman, Phoenix Wright, Heihachi Mishima, Lloyd Irving, Crono, Monster Hunter, Banjo, Professory Layton, Chris or Leon from Resident Evil, Viewtiful Joe, Amaterasu, etc), the one that "pops" the mass market appeal the most I think is Crash Bandicoot.

That and just... the stars seem like they are beginning to align for Crash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom