• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
I'm back to not expecting Crash again. Mostly so I don't end up disappointed. This pass continues to feel like Nintendo and Sakurai revisiting ideas they couldn't do years ago. We got an Arms and Xenoblade 2 character, Steve's been off and on the table for five years and Sephiroth gave us FF7 content we should have gotten all along.

E3 is make or break for Crash for me.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Wait until E3 y'all. Always thought it would be better to reveal him there then today in all honesty. Although I'm shocked that they didn't give one mention about the Crash 4 Switch port at least.
I am finding it highly unusual that the Crash 4 switch port was shadowdropped just a few days before a 50 minutes direct. Why not just announce it on the direct at that point?

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
While I had things I was hoping for and kept my expectations low, Honestly this direct sucked big time.

The high point for me was "Mario Golf: Super Rush" and Golf is my least favorite of the Mario Sport games.

None of the games I personally found appealing as it seems in recent years Nintendo has been trying to cater more to the Eastern/JRPG crowd and while it's not too much of surprise that the 1st Party pick was either gonna be Pokemon or Xenoblade and I totally get that they've been trying to push that franchise recently and the franchise only has 1 representative in Smash.

But my god does the diversity of the fighter pass as a whole really suck and is so damn lopsided, Even if it wasn't gonna be Crash Bandicoot or some other platforming mascot, At least mix it up with a "Gunner" like Master Chief or someone a different archetype.

With 4 down and 2 to go, Time is starting to run out, But the road to E3 has only begun and it looks like it might be make or break for Crash Bandicoot to make the final cut, Crash is definitely E3 material so that's what's gonna keep me hopeful that he'll somehow make it in.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Sorry to say this guys but based on how Pass 2 seems to be based on content left out of Base game. I feel Crash's chances are good as dead.

Min Min - ARMS rep, was considered too late for Base game.
Steve - Negiogations for five years, said to have been planned for Base game.
Sephiroth - Possible Cloud being included was under the condition Sephiroth would appear.
Pyra & Mythra - Xenoblade 2 rep, same with ARMS rep.

Seeing the pattern?

So this leaves us with these.

Chun-Li
Falcom rep
League of Legends rep
Monster Hunter
Tales rep

Strike means they're likely out. Rex not being promoted to playable is a huge blow indicating Mii costumes do deconfirm.

It was a fun ride but perhaps next game will maybe be the marsupials best shot.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Sorry to say this guys but based on how Pass 2 seems to be based on content left out of Base game. I feel Crash's chances are good as dead.

Min Min - ARMS rep
Steve - Negiogations for five years, said to have been planned for Base game
Sephiroth - Possible Cloud being included was under the condition Sephiroth would appear.
Pyra & Mythra - Xenoblade 2 rep

Seeing the pattern?

Chun-Li
Falcom rep
League of Legends rep
Monster Hunter
Tales rep

Strike means they're likely out. Rex not being promoted to playable is a huge blow indicating Mii costumes do deconfirm.

Everytime we see a pattern, the next character proves it wrong. Where is the Eggman i was promised huh?

So Crash's actual chances haven't changed at all.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord

Min Min - ARMS rep
Steve - Negiogations for five years, said to have been planned for Base game
Pyra & Mythra - Xenoblade 2 rep

Seeing the pattern?

Chun-Li
Falcom rep
League of Legends rep
Monster Hunter
Tales rep

For all we know Crash Bandicoot could be in the same position as Steve. Having been planned for awhile back, which was only found out AFTER his reveal. Steve was only hinted at by Verg and everyone kept the thought in their heads since then. The only thing Crash lacks that Steve had in his favor is some notable person who leaks information literally saying that something Activision is in Smash.

Either way, Crash is undoubtedly in the top handful of most wanted, realizable, and likely characters in many peoples opinions. I'd have to say if Crash doesn't make the cut it will def be the biggest missed opportunity for DLC imo. Hopefully that leaked 5 year Activision document eventually gets its final bit of credence in Crash in Smash as every other thing on it has come to fruition thus far. And if it is true, it did say, Crash in Smash for 2021. E3 is where we make our final stand!

Last edited:

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling we will get at least one more western rep before this pass is over, and Crash is the most likely western character right now imo. Here’s to hoping!

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Thanks😊 this so much nicer than reading other people gloating that we didn’t get a cartoon newcomer. congrats on your characters!
Yep! Been seeing that crap a lot. And people seem to think this was his only shot? Weird...

I love getting new characters, and I'm happy for Xenoblade fans (trying to get into Xenoblade 1 on the Wii myself), but I really hope the last two are third party. There's just something more exciting about them to me. I love expanding Smash's world.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yep! Been seeing that crap a lot. And people seem to think this was his only shot? Weird...

I love getting new characters, and I'm happy for Xenoblade fans (trying to get into Xenoblade 1 on the Wii myself), but I really hope the last two are third party. There's just something more exciting about them to me. I love expanding Smash's world.
I expect at least one more third party myself. Knowing Nintendo, I wouldn't be surprised if the last character was a first party (right now, I'm leaning towards Euden).

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

I mean, I know that trends are far from destiny, but Smash at least seems to favor third parties overall, as we have seen in FP1 and Sm4sh. I would not be surprised if we did end up with two more third parties.

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
I'm kinda in the same boat as most people here. It's CP10 or Bust really. It's his best shot. The Final Slot is too much of a Wild Card to really say anyone is a favorite there.

Looking at what we've been getting. It's been Iconic Third Parties and First Party Series Nintendo wants to push. And for E3, that's kinda where they push the BIG Characters. ( :ultridley: :ulthero:/ :ultbanjokazooie: :ultsteve:) So I don't think we'll be getting a Niche Third Party Rep like Reimu, Saber, Isaac, etc... Or any Characters that don't fit the Family Friendly Style of Directs (Aka no Dark/Mature Characters Doom Slayer, Ryu Hyabusa, Dante, Master Chief). Characters like those tend to be shown on their own, or part of a Smash Direct where they can show whoever.

With E3 Reveals, they like to show off Big Names, and Crash does fit that. Not to say he's a slam dunk, but he would def fit in with the Family Friendly Iconic Character Group that fits what you'd see in a Direct.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I think its a bit too early to go in to total doomposting as of yet. Remember, this year is Crash's 25th anniversary and it seems Activision is making a pretty huge deal out of that, so its very likely Crash in Smash is one of the "happenings" Activision is talking about for the 25th anniversary. We also got two more slots left, and Crash has always been a perfect contender for the E3 reveal. We just need to wait and see. I am confident we will have our sweet victory sooner rather than later. We just need to be patient.

Rex/Pyra/Mythra supporter hoping you guys are next! Good luck for E3, I feel like that'd be the prime place for his reveal.
Thank you, and congrats on getting your character as well!

Last edited:

James Phillips

Smash Journeyman
Since Nintendo Directs are back on, I wonder if there will be anything for E3 time this year. They might just reveal the last two characters at that June digital event with the latter coming out a few months later like Banjo did.

I’m kind of losing hope for Crash seeing as this fighter pass is skewed towards unfulfilled ideas from earlier in development (Minecraft, Xenoblade 2, ARMS) but you never know. Crash’s 25th is here so we still have stuff to look forward to

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Since Nintendo Directs are back on, I wonder if there will be anything for E3 time this year. They might just reveal the last two characters at that June digital event with the latter coming out a few months later like Banjo did.

I’m kind of losing hope for Crash seeing as this fighter pass is skewed towards unfulfilled ideas from earlier in development (Minecraft, Xenoblade 2, ARMS) but you never know. Crash’s 25th is here so we still have stuff to look forward to
Odds are at least something is revealed for June. At the rate things are going June makes way too much sense for FP10.

I would not throw in the towel just yet. Volume 3 could be a thing announced at E3. Regardless of that, Crash is one of those characters that just has a solid argument in their favor. I hope he is the E3 choice.

Ornl

Smash Ace
[Fan-theory] Fan-quota of a non-human(oid) 3rd-party toon
There are only 2 places left. To offer diversity, Fighter Pass 2 would need (or not ?) 1 "ultimate" non-human(oid) 3rd-party toon.
In my opinion, being "ultimate" would be being able to stand iconically and legitimately alongside :ultsonic: :ultpacman::ultbanjokazooie:.

Existing
Nintendo rep

• In Ultimate, 25/64 (≈3/8) of the Nintendo Fighters are non-human(oid) toons.
3rd-party newcomers
• Brawl (1/2)
• Sm4sh (1/2) · DLC (0/3)
• Ultimate (0/3) · FP1 (1/4) · FP2 (?/2)

-> (3/16) of the 3rd-party Fighters are non-human(oid) toons.

I think:
  • Space Invaders is the most ultimate pick alongside Pac-Man.
  • Crash Bandicoot is the most ultimate pick alongside Sonic and Banjo-Kazooie.

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
Well I find it interesting because 'Counterattack' was played during the trailer of Pyra/Mythra (during the Pyra's splash screen sequence) from what I can tell and others as well, not saying that the song in particular confirms the ENTIRE thing but if it ends up being a track for them for the Sakurai in-depth video coming out soon, then this thing might have some meat to it.

But as always, take it with a grain of salt and we shall see.

Last edited:

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
I think it was Proof of a Hero, which is a song in Monster Hunter.
Proof of a Hero. It's listed right after N. Sanity Beach.
Ah, but that song is already in the game.

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice

Then that's a good thing then. :p

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ

Interesting. I didn't realize that was a MH song in WoL. If you pay attention to the order of the listed tracks though it strongly implies that MH is the last DLC spot. Which, you know, may be possible. Maybe MH is another series the Smash team wants to revisit? Especially with MH Rise coming out.

Last edited:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Last edited:
Top Bottom