• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Band of the Hawk: you have brought shame among the hawks

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Something occurred to me yesterday...

Both of my favorite games ever had highly anticipated sequels that I was really looking forward to, but both turned out to be huge disappointments. I've learned to like Brawl (though there are some things I still really hate about it), and it's still fresh, but it's just not as fun as Melee was in its prime. Why do game developers always screw up when they attempt to improve something?

So I guess my point is, sequels suck. Sorry, just needed to vent.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Yeah, sequels do suck for the most part. Devil May Cry 2 was one of the most painful games I've ever played. Such a disapppointment. At least they got back on track with 3 and 4.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Yeah, sequels do suck for the most part. Devil May Cry 2 was one of the most painful games I've ever played. Such a disapppointment. At least they got back on track with 3 and 4.
It's just that it was my two absolute favorite games in the whole world, and I was reeeeeeally looking forward to the sequels, and they were both a huge letdown :ohwell:

toasty don't worry, those plans for the 7th are looking good ;)

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Is MD/VA starting to play more Melee and less Brawl?

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Melee, of course, and Total Annihilation (the sequel being SupCom).

It's Unicron!
Yes!! Melee's my fav game of course. Brawl can go **** itself. Go to the big NY tourny in two weeks! They're having low tiers on day 2. And lmao @ Unicron

Is MD/VA starting to play more Melee and less Brawl?
Not especially. I know people like Toasty are holding Melee events alongside Brawl and that's really awesome and all, but there's still a Brawl tourny like every week or something. Brawl's dying around here for sure though, since a good turnout for a tourny here is about 30 people lol. It's just usually people won't play Melee unless I kick them off Brawl and force them to play me haha

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Brawl is still the dominant tourney game and that's why I play it, and also because there's still more to learn about it. I think Melee is a better game but I played it competitively for like 4 years and it was getting old. And now I've lost a lot of Melee skill so it's hard to go back and start over.

If Brawl dies I'll be ready for a Melee revival, but I'm not gonna push it in that direction. I'm still holding out hope that MK will get banned and Brawl can be saved as a competitively viable game.

Edit: Low tier Melee tourney, hmm? If our plans don't work out I may join you.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
XD
I kinda wanted the plans to fall through so I could go to NY [it's just SO much easier as far as explaining it to my parents and all and, as I mentioned, way cheaper since I'm traveling alone and can't milk anyone for gas money]...but...we just gotta make the experience worth it, no homo...

Oh and what's the status on S.S.Sudai?

lastly: I'll chime in on the sequels thing...what was essentially to serve as the equivalent of a Goldeneye video game sequel was pretty much one of the worst shooters I've ever played in my life. Honestly all I have to say is that putting sensitivity on VERY HIGH was like having a 3 sensitivity in Halo. No exaggeration.

oh and yeah Goldeneye 64 is probably my other favorite game aside from Melee.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
XD
I kinda wanted the plans to fall through so I could go to NY [it's just SO much easier as far as explaining it to my parents and all and, as I mentioned, way cheaper since I'm traveling alone and can't milk anyone for gas money]...but...we just gotta make the experience worth it, no homo...

Oh and what's the status on S.S.Sudai?

lastly: I'll chime in on the sequels thing...what was essentially to serve as the equivalent of a Goldeneye video game sequel was pretty much one of the worst shooters I've ever played in my life. Honestly all I have to say is that putting sensitivity on VERY HIGH was like having a 3 sensitivity in Halo. No exaggeration.

oh and yeah Goldeneye 64 is probably my other favorite game aside from Melee.
He got 2nd last weekend, so he's like halfway to the $ he needs. He's gotta do well next weekend but he's confident.

What Goldeneye sequel are you talking about? Perfect Dark, TWINE, and Nightfire could all be considered sequels in some way. I never played PD, but Nightfire was pretty good and I thought TWINE was great.

I'm gonna assume you mean TWINE. I never had a problem with the controls, though I never used the default. I used the Turok style controls (which are the N64 equivalent of Halo controls), with auto-aim off of course so I could get head shots. I liked TWINE more than Goldeneye tbh. Explosives on Castle? Hell yeah, so much fun!

toasty

Smash Hero
Perfect Dark was fantastic. I mean it satisfied small basic desires of every GoldenEye fan:
- you could walk off of platforms
- dual wielding weapons in multiplayer
- AI in multiplayer [AND TONS OF THEM!!!...not to mention a very good spread of skill levels for the AI]
- sub-functions for just about every weapon

I might have jumped the gun on making a reference to some Bond game that was essentially "the sequel" but I'm talking about the one on GameCube that I only played for about 8 minutes at a friends house before declaring how awful it was to just play...I think it was Agent Under Fire

apparently I missed out on TWINE :( haha then again, before GC ever came out, the only N64 games my brother/cousins/friends and I ever played [with excess frequency, that is] were Smash, Mario Kart [best in the series perhaps?], and GoldenEye [oh and Mario64 will always have a place in my heart :)]

PS: when playing Perfect Dark, don't forget that you need the graphics booster adapter for your 64...literally only 35% of the game's features are playable without it.

As for vomit inducing graphics, look at Smash 64 XD Every time I see a vid [esp with Fox in it] I think it's a fanmade ROM...not kidding :(

thumbswayup

Smash Master
LMAO toasty that's EXACTLY what I do with video games. If it's something new or people have been looking forward to it, I usually play it at a friend's place (cause they'll have been too eager and go out and buy it) and after about half and hour I can tell if the game sucks or not. The hilarious thing is that it takes everyone else about 20 more hours of gameplay to come to that same conclusion ROFL

**** straight about the Perfect Dark AI. Dark sims were ****ing evil. And I absolutely LOVED how they ACTUALLY SHOWED each gun being reloaded, a HUGE improvement over Goldeneye, which just pulled the gun offscreen when it was reloading.

Mario Kart 64 is easily the best in the series. Double Dash is sickeningly awful in every way.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
explain plz. I've basically always loved Double Dash and thought that the series peaked there and then faltered on the wii, but a lot of people seem to think DD sucked and was the beginning of MK sucking.
You know, I don't really know how to explain it lol I just have this thing where I play a game for 30 minutes or so and I know right away if it's terrible and I'll hate it forever. DD was one of those games, except I probably played it around 3 hours overall. The controls, the speed, the levels, the powers even the way the game looked, I hated all of that. Felt like a slowed down version of MK64 honestly (what does that remind you of >_>).

And the thing is at one point I HATED MK64 because my cousins would always come over every weekend and play it NON-STOP. That was back when I was like 12 or something lol but I played it so much I got sick of it. But I played it again later and unlocked all the stages backwards and had a lot of fun racing down Toad's Turnpike with all the cars driving towards me. It's a classic to me, and it's the only MK game I've really enjoyed.

toasty

Smash Hero
all I know is that I have yet to play a shooter except Halo 1 [with Pistols/AR/3 Frags to start and No Radar] that gives me anything close to the same rush and satisfaction of GoldenEye 64 Licensed to Kill Pistols [No Radar, of course]

btw: I used to fantasize about being in movie-type situations and all the different and amazing ways I could deploy a laptop gun. Easily one of the most clever weapon ideas ever...unlike the Farsight which is like the Metaknight of all FPS weapons...or would that be the AWP in Counter Strike? XD Well, it's more like the Melee Sheik, then hahaha...

OH OH OH AND YOU COULD DISARM PEOPLE?!?!?! Toooo good!!!

Did I mention the sweet target training range?

Seriously, Perfect Dark had some more complex things going on than GoldenEye for sure, but it also took liberties with easy ideas aimed at appealing to every simpler minded gamer out there...it was an EXCELLENT followup to GoldenEye but it will never replace it, nor did it try to...so using Nirvana albums as a tool for measurement:

Goldeneye64 = Nevermind
Perfect Dark = In Utero

...and Turok = Smells Like Bleach: A Punk Tribute to Nirvana

>_>

EDIT: whoa whoa you can't use that same "play for a few minutes and then decide" theory on games that have advanced techs esp for movement...you clearly don't know the thrill of boosting [not Snake Dashing, but like when you just do it once, I don't know the term hah]

thumbswayup

Smash Master
LOL The Farsight HAHA my God that gun was evil. Labtop gun, Mauler, CMP150, Falcon, Shotgun, and so much more were all great guns. I loved the variety. Toasty next time I see you, PERFECT DARK BABY!

edit- We can only hope CK. Melee with SF4 would be too good. And Starcraft as well. Omg we should run tournies with all three of these :p or at least have them all at smashfests lol

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
You know, I don't really know how to explain it lol I just have this thing where I play a game for 30 minutes or so and I know right away if it's terrible and I'll hate it forever. DD was one of those games, except I probably played it around 3 hours overall. The controls, the speed, the levels, the powers even the way the game looked, I hated all of that. Felt like a slowed down version of MK64 honestly (what does that remind you of >_>).

And the thing is at one point I HATED MK64 because my cousins would always come over every weekend and play it NON-STOP. That was back when I was like 12 or something lol but I played it so much I got sick of it. But I played it again later and unlocked all the stages backwards and had a lot of fun racing down Toad's Turnpike with all the cars driving towards me. It's a classic to me, and it's the only MK game I've really enjoyed.
how on earth is it a slower version -_-? w/e, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I just really approved of the added gameplay diversity. There just felt like there was more you could do to speed yourself up and get the best of your items with powersliding and the driver/gunner switching.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
how on earth is it a slower version -_-? w/e, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I just really approved of the added gameplay diversity. There just felt like there was more you could do to speed yourself up and get the best of your items with powersliding and the driver/gunner switching.
It's been a long while since I've played it, and I didn't play it much so it might just be my memory of things lol. All I know is I played it with two of my friends and we usually have a blast playing any multiplayer game (including all the Mario Party games even though I don't like them much) and we didn't have nearly as much fun playing DD. We got bored of it very quickly.

toasty

Smash Hero
one thing about DD that's horrible, esp when coming from the MK64 Battle glory days, is multiplayer battle mode. Sooo underdeveloped and far too simple. MK64 Battle was sooo solid!

But the RACING?!? That's what makes DD great [and yeahhh Powersliding, that's the one, thanks]

I can't wait to play SF4! Hopefully this weekend at the SoVa tourney, since I know people will be bringing stuff...

Thumbs: I'd much rather play GoldenEye but I still enjoy PD so yeah son that'd be cool :)

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Having two players control each cart in DD added a lot of depth. There were things you could do with 2 players that you couldn't do by yourself, such as dodging red shells on a straightaway. Regardless, MK64 was better, but my personal favorite was MKDS.

toasty we'll have to play TWINE sometime. I have it. I gotta show you the pure bliss of Explosives on Castle. (and btw it also has x-ray vision, suitcase guns, and multiplayer AI, and a map on the back of an SR-71)

Top Bottom