• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS The balance in this game is just awful.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
If the balance in this game is so bad, enlighten us... Who are the top three characters?

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
By the way, side b > dtilt exists for ganon. Had a few do it to me before in previous matches. Dunno if character specific but im glad he has it.
It is character specific and only if they don't tech which unfortunately you can tech side-b, but if they tech away from you then the d-tilt will connect.

otter

Smash Ace
It seems the same as any other fighter. I knew people were going to be disappointed when they expected perfect balance from a developer who outright says he doesn't give a ****.

keninblack

Smash Cadet
Its the most balanced out of the official 4 but that really isn't saying much haha.

I mean it's good enough so I'll take it I guess, the "balance" in this game is something I doubt will be worth anything to note as the meta moves on but we'll see.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Game hasn't even been out in the hardcore west for 2 weeks yet. Give it some time, let the tiers flow out, and then complain.

I should point out this guy also made a thread telling Robins to stop camping. Make of that what you will.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
If the balance in this game is so bad, enlighten us... Who are the top three characters?
Sheik, Zamus, Rosalina.

They're not anywhere near MK dominant and of course it's not set in stone, but they're looking to be very powerful and able to adapt very well.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Been bodying people with Mario, DK, Wii Fit Trainer.

Stay free.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Sheik, Zamus, Rosalina.

They're not anywhere near MK dominant and of course it's not set in stone, but they're looking to be very powerful and able to adapt very well.
I dunno about that. Greninja and Dark Pit are up there too. I don't know if there is a top three, more like a top five that should be made. IMO. Not saying DP would be in it, but there are at least five equally "top tier" characters. For example, Greninja, Captain Falcon, and Yoshi could easily be in the top five somewhere.
Heck, even Ganondorf is really good this game.

Einyuri

Smash Cadet
To be honest although ZSS, Sheik and Rosalina are looking pretty strong I don't want to call them top 3 just yet. They seem top 3 because they give the most UP FRONT without looking for much.

But I feel like as the game is dove into more, and we have the access to a c-stick and better controls; more tech for characters will be discovered and the game could be something completely diff.

Though something tells me that until we get the new 3ds over in the states, and we have access to a C-Stick alternative on the 3DS as well..

The Wii U and 3DS versions could have different tiers.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
I dunno about that. Greninja and Dark Pit are up there too. I don't know if there is a top three, more like a top five that should be made. IMO. Not saying DP would be in it, but there are at least five equally "top tier" characters. For example, Greninja, Captain Falcon, and Yoshi could easily be in the top five somewhere.
Heck, even Ganondorf is really good this game.
Greninja and Yoshi are good. I dunno about Dark Pit. Pit is probably better just for the arrows and I don't consider either top tier.

Ganondorf is slow and has to rely on reads for nearly everything. The three I mentioned can easily force situations into their favor with their power, speed, range, and versatile movesets.

To be honest although ZSS, Sheik and Rosalina are looking pretty strong I don't want to call them top 3 just yet. They seem top 3 because they give the most UP FRONT without looking for much.

But I feel like as the game is dove into more, and we have the access to a c-stick and better controls; more tech for characters will be discovered and the game could be something completely diff.

Though something tells me that until we get the new 3ds over in the states, and we have access to a C-Stick alternative on the 3DS as well..

The Wii U and 3DS versions could have different tiers.
Well, the GCN control helps those characters just as much as most others. They'll love the more precise controls.
Rosalina especially so. On Japanese release, she was considered "mid tierish". I feel she'll only get stronger as more Luma shenanigans are discovered.

But yes, I agree the tier lists might be slightly different based on the platform.

Last edited:

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Greninja and Yoshi are good. I dunno about Dark Pit. Pit is probably better just for the arrows and I don't consider either top tier.

Ganondorf is slow and has to rely on reads for nearly everything. The three I mentioned can easily force situations into their favor with their power, speed, range, and versatile movesets.

Well, the GCN control helps those characters just as much as most others. They'll love the more precise controls.
Rosalina especially so. On Japanese release, she was considered "mid tierish". I feel she'll only get stronger as more Luma shenanigans are discovered.

But yes, I agree the tier lists might be slightly different based on the platform.
I actually just hosted a tourney in which Dark PIt won agaisnt Greninja in the finals. His aerials are much better than Pit's (due to angle differences and such). He also has a better Arm, imo.
I wish I could provide some video footage, as we had some really good players, but our streamer bailed on us last minute (and he played Smash on his 3ds the entire tournament too)

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Oh, well the more you know! That info about the Pits should be more widespread. Everywhere you look, people say their only differences are the arm/arrows.
I don't think he cares so much about balance

I mean all the past games were unbalanced
Sakurai works in mysterious ways

I was overly optimistic this time with his emphasis on balance in PotDs and whatnot.

Oh well, there's still the possibility of balance patches (which Sakurai said was a maybe, iirc)
Though, with 4 games, I'm starting to worry if the balance patches may bring all new issues.

Last edited:

Kobeskillz

Smash Rookie
To those that think this game is really unbalanced I want you to give me an example of fighting games that are 100% balanced?

How about fighting games with close to 50 characters?

How about 50 characters and all for the most part being completely unique with incredibly different play styles?

I mean is just silly to assume a game like this would be perfectly balanced.

For what it is and being a smash game its still really balanced IMO.

I've played tons of other fighting games with far lesser roster, far less variety in fighters and that claim to be competitive fighters that are much worst balanced than this game.

You have a game were the creator tells you directly that it's not meant to be competitive and we get a game that's pretty balanced for what it is and people still whine and complain!!!

I use Cap and have been since Melee. He went from strong, crap and now viable in the series. I don't complain and moan.

Yes people gravitate to easy to use and spam characters. Yes if you aren't good enough those characters will seem unfair. A skilled player will almost always overcome such characters.

Reminds me of Street Fighter 2 and how throwing worked against most unskilled players but once you played someone with skilled throwing didn't work at all!

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
Its ****ing Smash Brothers what in the actual **** did you expect in terms of balance

Last edited:

JayMan-X

Smash Apprentice
To those that think this game is really unbalanced I want you to give me an example of fighting games that are 100% balanced?

How about fighting games with close to 50 characters?

How about 50 characters and all for the most part being completely unique with incredibly different play styles?

I mean is just silly to assume a game like this would be perfectly balanced.

For what it is and being a smash game its still really balanced IMO.

I've played tons of other fighting games with far lesser roster, far less variety in fighters and that claim to be competitive fighters that are much worst balanced than this game.

You have a game were the creator tells you directly that it's not meant to be competitive and we get a game that's pretty balanced for what it is and people still whine and complain!!!

I use Cap and have been since Melee. He went from strong, crap and now viable in the series. I don't complain and moan.

Yes people gravitate to easy to use and spam characters. Yes if you aren't good enough those characters will seem unfair. A skilled player will almost always overcome such characters.

Reminds me of Street Fighter 2 and how throwing worked against most unskilled players but once you played someone with skilled throwing didn't work at all!
No one is expecting the game to be "perfectly" balanced
But when u look at a character like Ganondorf, how can u not tell that he is garbage?
If someone back in development truly cared about balance, they would see that he is noticeably worse than most other chars.

Last edited:

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
I dunno, as a gut feeling I feel it's a bit better balanced than the previous ones if anything. Like, it's clear that some characters are better than others, but when I go with Megaman (who is most definitely not going to be high tiered) against ZSS, I feel like I have a shot, instead of, say, the sinking feeling of dread when trying to do more or less anything with Bowser in Melee.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
After playing the original Smash Bros, Melee, Brawl and now the 3DS version fairly extensively, I have to disagree. In fact, this is by far one of the most balanced Smash Bros. games I've played. Of course, this is simply my opinion and it could very well change within the coming months, especially when the Wii U version releases. However, at the moment, I truly do feel the game is very balanced, especially for the amount of playable and unique characters there are in the game. I mean, freaking Ganondorf, Bowser, Mario, Link and almost every character that use to be considered sub par or crap have become either competitvely viable or somewhat viable, given the adjustments they have received. Of course, the balance is not perfect, that much is clear, but it's far from unbalanced or broken. Please, feel free to disagree of course, but I strongly feel like many are being too harsh in regards to the overall balance of the characters.

Batousai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davis1228
3DS FC
0533-5267-7408
There are too many whiners in this community. This is the most well balanced Smash game, and many agree. The whiners ate a vocal minority, the loudest mouths but the smallest in skill and number.

DoomLich

Smash Rookie
What's funny is after all the characters mentioned, two of the ones currently being discussed as top contenders by high level public players aren't even on that list. Right now it's actually a lot of talk about Lucario and Diddy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom