• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"The Aura is Mine!" Lucario Social Thread! (With More Moderators!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Why's everyone think he's a ninja fox? I swear...

Lucario's a jackal who's calm and collected in battle, and fights with martial arts. His fighting style can be compared to Egyptian boxing. Zoroark knows nothing of martial arts and relies almost completely on instincts while fighting, is depicted as feral and chaotic in battle and uses illusions and its claws as its main form of offensive. The two are hardly alike aside from there humanoid appearance.
Egyptian Boxing? Hmm... eh, I doubt anybody here knows about true fighting arts. I think SSB could use something like that/those.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Well boxing is strongly believed to have originated in Egypt, and lucario's jackal like appearance is incredibly similar to the Egyptian god of funerals, Anubis. His "sleeveless shirt" and "puffy shorts" are similar to what gaurds wore back then. And in brawl, his stance is almost always perpetually facing sideways to the camera, just like in egyptian hieroglyphs and paintings. I'll admit, that was a nice touch.

However, his fighting style in brawl doesn't really reflect the boxing part sadly. They really put way to big an emphasis on aura imo.

Sorry. I'm probably being really stringy about this, but I absolutely love Egyptian lore, and the majority of martial arts~ <3

D

Deleted member

Sunnysunny said:
They better not go overboard with the whole "graceful martial artist" theme they gave him in this game. Lucario needs more MANLY fighting type attacks.
I don't know how legitimately of an argument this is, but I think the gracefulness of his move set was over done because martial arts is a very delicate form of fighting with it's own set of rules for fighting. Hopefully Lucario doesn't have that overdone again. I think he could do with having attacks be more intense.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
It really depends on the martial art. Some are completely just for show like a dance. If I remember correctly Sakurai said somewhere that this Lucario developed his own style of fighting, so it could be loosly based on one of those "shows men ship" martial arts~ But yea. A bit more beef in his attacks would be Vunderful~!

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
How I see Lucario is his fighting style seems plan, I can't really see any grace in his fighting but hey that's just me lol.

He shows more grace in PM imo but I would like to see Lucario be more flexible and graceful in SSB4. They need to keep lucario light but get rid of him being floaty, he needs more speed and agility too and he needs P:Ms Extreme speed and Double Team. (probs already said this lol)

Another thing I just realized: why is Lucario's counter type moved based on Double Team and not counter/detect?
Nintendo Logic lol.

In all seriousness I'm not sure if I can answer this right but my guess it takes off the anime because I'm pretty sure double team is the Pokemon moving so fast that its creating duplicate's, and I guess this because on the anime I never have seen a duplicate move away or attack on its own and when the real Pokemon got hit all of the duplicates would vanish, saying this I assume the VG games work the same so Lucario's double team in SSBB would be just using the speed and not the duplicates.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Well boxing is strongly believed to have originated in Egypt, and lucario's jackal like appearance is incredibly similar to the Egyptian god of funerals, Anubis. His "sleeveless shirt" and "puffy shorts" are similar to what gaurds wore back then. And in brawl, his stance is almost always perpetually facing sideways to the camera, just like in egyptian hieroglyphs and paintings. I'll admit, that was a nice touch.

However, his fighting style in brawl doesn't really reflect the boxing part sadly. They really put way to big an emphasis on aura imo.

Sorry. I'm probably being really stringy about this, but I absolutely love Egyptian lore, and the majority of martial arts~ <3
I have always kind of figured that Lucario's arts was more based on Sempo or TaiChi, and while I knew he was a breed of candid, I didn't know what candid he was(I didn't knew what a Jackal was.), But I knew he was not a wolf or fox(Who would seriously think that?).

Lucario was a plus for being a fighter who actually has a fighting art(whatever it is) within him! The others that come close are Donkey Kong and Captain Falcon(Solid Snake cheats). Almost all Fighting-Type Monsters are based on some form of fighting art.

If some research was done more, they could change Luc's moveset into a more traditional fighting art. Maybe next time they could add Egyptian Boxing in his style. Nevertheless, I would like to see more emphasis on true fighting. The Mario Bros. have it. Fox and Falco have it. Hell, even Jigglypuff.

Thinking back, a few GameFAQs members were against adding characters from real fighters and brawlers, because they believe their movelist and style would be too predictable, way too boring and straightforward(Donkey suffered for this) and wouldn't offer anything to the chaotic craziness that are Mascot Fighters, like SSB.

Though, Playstation All Stars Battle Royale challenged that thought.

D

Deleted member

I have noticed a few complaints on the Internet about how Lucario's move set doesn't reflect his Steel type personality. When you look at the abilities he gains when he evolves and what he can get by TM, it comes up to only three moves, Metal Claw, Flash Cannon, and Metal Sound.

Any thoughts on one of those replacing his B move in SSB and do you think it would work? I could see Metal Claw working pretty well.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I have noticed a few complaints on the Internet about how Lucario's move set doesn't reflect his Steel type personality. When you look at the abilities he gains when he evolves and what he can get by TM, it comes up to only three moves, Metal Claw, Flash Cannon, and Metal Sound.

Any thoughts on one of those replacing his B move in SSB and do you think it would work? I could see Metal Claw working pretty well.
I could see metal claw be one of his smashes or a replacement for Force Palm. I'd prefer the former, and it wouldn't be the first time a move from pokemon became a normal rather a special.

Edit: sometimes, the reverse even happens. Remember Shadow Claw?

D

Deleted member

I could see metal claw be one of his smashes or a replacement for Force Palm. I'd prefer the former, and it wouldn't be the first time a move from pokemon became a smash rather a special.
Hadn't thought of that, sounds good.

Then again, I'm not very good with move sets discussions, so I only thought of the specials.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ

Well, this may sound Mewtwo-ish, but I think Metal sound could work like Disable, except he yells in front of him, and anyone really close to him gets into a dizzy mode.

But truly, I think Metal Sound could work as a defensive move, by pushing anyone in front of him away, like Issac's Force Hand-thing attack.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

I think the body positioning is a cool coincidence. Most kung fu characters I've seen in games use similar stances regardless of style (i.e. Bagua, Monkey, Shaolin).

The way I saw the emphasis on the aura, it reminded me of the Chinese internal martial arts with chi. Xing-Yi is something I can see for Lucario as it's an internal martial art. At the same time, I can see Bajiquan as another source of inspiration despite not being an internal art. After all, it's an unspoken thing that every fighting game gets some kind of character that is either Chinese, uses a Chinese fighting style, or is reminiscent of China in some form.

Here's some examples of the fighting styles.

Xing-Yi with Tekken's Julia
Bajiquan with Virtua Fighter's Akira

Watching these, a Xing-Yi inspired moveset might suit him better.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I don't know anything about martial arts, but to me, Lucario's style of fighting has always reminded me of Neji's or Hinata's fighting styles in the Naruto series.

Carlo_H.Luz

Smash Apprentice
I think he was included in SSBB because he was in the current generation of pokemon while the developement of the game. So I wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt appear in SSB4. instead I expect a current generation pokemon like Zekrom. But i prefer Mewtwo of course, Mewtwo has an enourmous fanbase and is one of the most recognizable pokemon since the 90s

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Re: Steel:

I still say that Aura Storm is actually Flash Cannon.

Waluigi

Smash Apprentice
Grabbing move = Slashing move. Makes sense.

Someone's never played Pokemon before. (Unless you're one of those people who refuse to play anything outside of the Generation you started with)

edit: anyone have that "there is logic in what he says" clip from Doctor Who? The one Linkara always uses? Cause it'd be perfect here.
Since when is force palm a "grabbing" it's thrusting you're arm forward and hitting them with you're.....palm. Regardless it's aphysical move and it shot out a frekin laser in brawl.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Since when is force palm a "grabbing" it's thrusting you're arm forward and hitting them with you're.....palm. Regardless it's aphysical move and it shot out a frekin laser in brawl.
I think Force Palm's grabbing tech. was inherited in the Pokemon anime Lucario VS Buizel.

inb4ohanimedoesnteffectssb

Also, if you think that's a laser, you clearly never played a Fox, Wolf, or Falco.

D

Deleted member

I have a theory about how Zoroark's inclusion won't hinder Lucario returning, but rather, improve it.

Black and White 2 have made Lucario and Zoroark as rivals in the game and in the promotion. I am going to say that if we do get one 5th gen newcomer that Zoroark and Lucario are mutually beneficial to each other.

Assuming that we get Genesect, Meloetta, or more hell freeze over and we get Victini, Lucario is less likely to accompany them. I still think Lucario will be in this situation, but the chances are greater that since those three are far less connected to Lucario that Lucario may not be seen as a needed addition and is dumped.

The chance for both to return are the greatest if Lucario and Zoroark are together. This rivalry is something that the Pokemon Company can promote and this can help make Lucario and Zoroark even more popular additions. Replacing Lucario with Zoroark would make far less sense since they seem more connected.

I guess you could say I warmed up to Zoroark's potential inclusion for SSB4. As a matter of fact, I find myself estastic at the thought of him getting in. Something I thought I would never say.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I want Lucario to have a useful down B and a good approach option. If his down b was a good projectile instead of the almost useless move it is now, that would be great. I think lucario needs a much better shield grab range.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Is Aura sphere not a decent projectile? True, it's no SSB64 Charge Beam, but...

:phone:

Veggi

Smash Champion
I don't want to blatantly steal something from another fighting game, but I think double team would be cool if it worked like Makoto's move from BlazBlue where she makes copies of herself so it looks like three of them, then input which Makoto is going to be the real one. So Lucario could press down b to make two other Lucario's and then press up, down, or neutral to decide which is the real Lucario.

Sounds cool to me? A much more interesting double team in my opinion.

:phone:

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Sounds to me like such a version of Double Team would be more suited to Zoroark, actually, being that he's an illusionist and all.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Come to think of it, it'd actually give him a special with an illusion and isn't people treating it like Transform.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
For Zoroark, I was also thinking he could have Snarl as a B move, and Night Slash as Side B.

When he uses Snarl, he sends forth an illusion of himself dashing forward, but he remains in place and then barks out a dark sound-wave.

When he uses Night Slash, he leaves behind an after-image of himself that looks like he's preparing to Snarl, but then slashes at the enemy at the end of it.

Both look the same, until the attack lands.

Hawk Flindaeton

Smash Cadet
Lucario ideas

Has anyone noticed they didn't put close combat as one of Lucario's attacks? That was really stupid cause I thought they should have a better attack than his side-B. ( Can anyone tell me what that does? I have no idea!)

:lucario: They should put him in again with a final smash that allows him to throw multiple aura spheres while moving around the stage!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Has anyone noticed they didn't put close combat as one of Lucario's attacks? That was really stupid cause I thought they should have a better attack than his side-B. ( Can anyone tell me what that does? I have no idea!)

:lucario: They should put him in again with a final smash that allows him to throw multiple aura spheres while moving around the stage!
Force Palm does have a property in which Lucario can grab the target, and then push it back hard.

Close Combat wasn't implemented, seeing as Lucario's moveset focused heavily on the ability to use Aura-based attacks; only its dash attack and b-throw are not affected by Aura.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
D-throw as well.

Although, I would love to see close combat as his side special instead of that subpar command grab. Maybe make it a Rekka or something, like marths side-b.

D

Deleted member

I think he was included in SSBB because he was in the current generation of pokemon while the developement of the game. So I wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt appear in SSB4. instead I expect a current generation pokemon like Zekrom. But i prefer Mewtwo of course, Mewtwo has an enourmous fanbase and is one of the most recognizable pokemon since the 90s
Given that there's no evidence that any Pokemon were chosen based upon being from the latest gen, I'm going to have to say that it was more due to him being incredibly popular within the Pokemon community and being very highly requested for Smash. I doubt Sakurai will want a character he'll simply dump for another Pokemon, especially when Lucario, Mewtwo, and a new Pokemon can easily co-exist.

LucarioValkyrie

Smash Rookie
well i guess i should input my 2 cents, lucario is the only guy i use :D, this topic is an interesting one, but its going to end up with lucario as top dog (see what i did their?) because of his massive fanbase, and the thing is, everyone knows who mewtwo is, he is a dark insane pokemon that attempts to destroy all people and rule the world, been their done that, zoroak, while she is also mysterious she does not have such a huge fanbase, and she is a far cry away from his awsomeness, and most people already know her plot: save zorau at all costs, i heard that storyline before, meanwhile lucario however, is almost completly unknown, the only known one that had a true storyline died (well not technically), and his was done and dusted.

BUT as mentioned above, no one knows hardly anything about him and his species, and in SSBB he only had a scene or two before he was brushed off into the backround, but it leaves one to wonder, what was he doing floating on the icicle completly oblivious to the battle raging in the sky, why did he not feature a more prominant role? he certainly has the space, alot of unused character space there, and being completly ingnorant of a space battle a few metres above his head, proves he is calm and collected, he is a good guy, but the lone wolf (see what else i did there?) he seems like the silent type, only talking when he needs to, and being an assassin and soldier when the need demands it, but that could be changed. plus hes a badass, But his moves need to look more "powerful" as sunny said, and one last thing, what other pokemon has an inborn sense of justice and ability to bend aura with ease? plus being a martial arts master and looks like anubis, Lucario FTW

Wave-Guiding Hero

Smash Apprentice
Some things I would like to see in SSB4:

Aura: It's highly unlikely this will be changed, because it's his defining characteristic. It would be nice if he wasn't so severely weakened when he was in the lead, though.

Aura Storm: Suggestions: Make the beam wider and much more powerful, make aiming the beam before it actually fires much faster, and give Lucario a wider aiming arc so people can't just double jump and avoid the whole thing. Or just replace it entirely.

Force Palm: Make it grab in the air. It doesn't really make sense why his can't while pretty much every other command grab does iirc. Alternatively replace it with something else.

Extremespeed: Make it do damage. Or at least knock people off of ledges so he isn't so easily gimped.

Double Team: Replace it with pretty much anything else. A swords dance type move that ups his damage would compliment Lucario's aura powers (makes him even more dangerous when losing, and offsets his weak knockback when winning). Alternatively, make its startup and active frames more similar to Marth's so that it's actually usable.

Grab range: Make it bigger plz.

Dash: It looks stupid in Brawl, and nothing like the way he runs in the anime. The dash in Project M is much closer and a better choice.

I actually like his A moves, I like how graceful and unique they look. I wouldn't mind them changing though, as long as they kept their godlike range and comboability. It would be nice if they gave him a meteor smash, to further offset his trouble KOing people (although if they made Force Palm work as it does in Project M this won't be necessary).

I highly doubt they're going to take him out. He's all over the place in recent marketing for Pokemon; he's even on the back of the box of Pokemon Conquest lol.

Carlo_H.Luz

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai: Lucario is not Mewtwo! Mewtwo has a place in our hearts, that is something that mustn't be touched. Bring back mewtwo u_______u

Mulecc

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0173-1788-6477
As much as I love lucario, to me it doesn't seem likely he will return.
I'll just have to cry for a week and get over it if he doesn't.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't know anything about martial arts, but to me, Lucario's style of fighting has always reminded me of Neji's or Hinata's fighting styles in the Naruto series.
IIRC, the Hyuga Gentle Palm style is based off of Baguazhang which is another internal martial art.

Aura: It's highly unlikely this will be changed, because it's his defining characteristic. It would be nice if he wasn't so severely weakened when he was in the lead, though.
I never cared for how Aura was implemented in as a clutch mechanic which I'm generally not a big fan of. One thing that might be worth consideration would be to use Aura as a power up move.

Lucario could hold B and then decide on a direction while concentrating his qi aura. Doing forward, down, neutral, or up will trigger a specific animation where Lucario will charge that move. His next Smash attack on that input (or jab for neutral) will be an automatically fully charged attack.

Wave-Guiding Hero

Smash Apprentice
As much as I love lucario, to me it doesn't seem likely he will return.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. Lucario has seen a huge increase in publicity/visibility (he was very prominently featured in the animated trailer for Black and White 2, is on the back of the box of Pokemon Conquest, has his own movie series in Pokestar Studios in BW2). I highly doubt they would axe him after all that.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Isn't Lucario's Down Special Me First? I didn't think it was Double Team.

Edit: I'm dumb, it is Double Team. Me First makes much more sense, though.

Anyway, if you can't see Lucario's popularity within the Pokémon Community, you're silly. To this day he remains popular. He ain't getting cut, folks. At least, not for any other reason than time restraints.

As for Aura, sure, rework it. I'd like a Project M style system where landing regular attacks beefs up his Aura Specials.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I never cared for how Aura was implemented in as a clutch mechanic which I'm generally not a big fan of.
Is that what they're calling it these days? I've never heard comeback mechanics referred to as clutch mechanics. Well, you learn something every day I guess.

LucarioValkyrie

Smash Rookie
lucario has had his popularity boost significantly, and to remove him now would be stupid, as nintendo knows, why get rid of a popular character for less profit? and wave, keep the good new's coming! everytime you say he gets put in trailers and the like, the more i party. but back on topic, lucario is the chuck norris of pokemon, thats why he has a huge fanbase, absolute badass, even more so then other pokemon, only zoroark comes close. anyone else agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom