• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Ask t!Mmy and Pink Reaper about Kirby" Thread

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Well, every other character forum has one of these, so I thought we should have one too. But because t!mmy wouldn't do it, I decided to do it for him :laugh: But he wouldn't let me make a thread for JUST him cus he's lazy, so I decided I'd throw myself into the mix here too. Just ask any questions you have and I or t!Mmy will answer.

Side note: If at any time our advice conflicts with eachother, ALWAYS take t!Mmy's advice over mine, he is by far the more knowledgeable of the two of us.

(Made without t!Mmy's consent)

KirbyCideTwo

Smash Rookie
ok then i was just wondering how do you properly approach sheik? thanks cause im a real noob and i need a lot of help

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
ok then i was just wondering how do you properly approach sheik? thanks cause im a real noob and i need a lot of help
If you can...try not to approach sheik. Kirby is actually really good at handling other characters approaching him, but kirbys approach is horrible. Bait the sheik with Dash dances and try to get her to attack you. Make good use of kirbys spotdodge and roll. One thing I like to do is dashdance then wavedash out of it into a roll so they can't really tell where I will end up...this is a pretty easy way to get grabs or uptilts.

If you want to actually approach them try crouching and wavedashing forwards with dtilts and ftilts with some jabs thrown in. You want to look for grabs so you can dthrow into techchases. I wouldn't really try to approach from the air but if you do then shffl a fair or wavedash backwards and bair out of shield. Also reverse hammer to grab might work >_>.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
While what Hylian says is true, it must also be pointed out that Sheik doesn't really need to approach Kirby. Her needles give ample camping space and while you CAN crouch them, she can angle them down at you, while still being a pretty good distance from you. I might suggest approaching with crouching WD's and baiting the aerial needles. From there, attempt a Swallow and copy, because Needles = AWESOME(as does Sheik Kirby) From there you can semi-hold off Sheiks camp by camping yourself. THIS will force an approach and from there you can follow Hylians advice.

Maybe I should make this the "Ask a bunch of random Kirby players about Kirby" thread, cus Im sure Cereal Rabbit will be in here answering questions too >.>

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Kewl idea Reaper lol

Can you help me, what strategies do you guys have for Marth/Roy? =/

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
For Marth:

Kirby Vs Marth

This is, in my honest opinion, Kirby's absolute worst match up. Marth is just too gay of a character for Kirby to take on one on one. He has the advantage of being both floaty, and pretty heavy, meaning its going to be hard to get him off the stage and even harder to get a solid kill on him. Then there's the ******** range and power on his tipper, but even a non-sweet spotted hit can tear through Kirby. And his grab range, OH DEAR GOD, his broken *** grab range >.<(more on that later) To be honest, if the Marth knows what he's doing in this match, he absolutely wont lose.

First things first, stage pics. Or rather, stages that Marth doesn't have a horribly overpowered advantage on so you can't possibly even hope to harm him. Your choices here are Corneria and Jungle Japes. Thats it. And they are only good for you if your better at camping than he is :urg:
Stages to avoid: Yoshi Story, FD, Battlefield, Dreamland 64 and Pokemon Stadium. And those are just the stages that Marth gets an AMAZING advantage on, all the other levels just give him a moderate to above average advantage. FoD is supposed to be a bad stage for Marth, the problem is that in this particular match up, its pretty much worse for Kirby :( So yeah, you haven't even begun the match and your already at a horrible disadvantage.

Now on to the important stuff, the actual match. First off, let me just say this, being the aggressor in this match will only hurt you. You have NO good approaches against Marth and as soon as you enter his happy zone, its lights out for you. Unfortunately, the more basic Kirby strategy of crouch->retaliate, is not going to work in this match up. Marths Dtilt/Fsmash outranges anything you can do from a crouch. You also cant trust the ledge because tipper >>>>>> Kirby ledge games. If you want to actually be able to compete in this match your going to have to play a little differently. I've found that this is much more of a waiting game than alot of match ups. Shield camping is your friend, as is light shielding. But you cant be careless with your shield, just sitting there with it up will get you grabbed. Your going to have to keep moving, make it seem like your approaching/retreating then shield the incoming attacks. Your gonna have to take a few hits, and wait the Marth out untill he makes a mistake. From there, its just a matter of punishing his mistakes as well as the situation will alow and then retreating before the Marth gets free and absolutely destroys you.

I find that it helps to have your back against a wall in this match up as it gives you something to transfer some of your momentum to if you take a hard hit. Its also something that helps you actually combo when you manage to hit Marth. Utilt->Bair works a whole lot better when Marth cant escape from the attacks. The big negative here is Marth's short hopped double Fairs. Against a wall gives you no where to escape if he gets you in a Short hopped double fair frenzy, and it will lead to some serious damage. And while on the note of serious damage, remember that most of marths moves become killers when you hit triple digits. You'll have to start avoiding more than just his Fsmash, you'll also have to look out for Utilt/Dtilt, Uair and even Dsmash(although its rarely used)

So yeah, not alot of help I can give you for this match because Kirby is pretty helpless. But wait, theres more. I haven't touched on Marths grab game yet. The big thing to look out for here is the Fthrow. If you DI it towards Marth he can simply regrab you. And as soon as you DI away from him, he can just Fsmash you. Oh yeah, and it will most likely tipper. Isn't that nice? Fthrow->Tipper. Just perfect:ohwell: So how do you avoid this? Well, the solution is very simple. Just don't get grabbed. How do you do that? Well, you can just crouch under the grab. Whats that? You say I said that crouching isn't good for this match? Well, its not. BUT, if you can see a grab coming, crouching will work, and you can retaliate with a Dsmash. The problem here comes from Marth's broken grab range. If you're in the air, you cant crouch, and his grab range > your aerial range. And if at any point you tech in this match without some crazy momentum to carry you really far from Marth, more likely than not, he's going to be able to grab you out of it.

But what about Kirby's grab game you ask? The thing I spent so much time explaining in my Captain Falcon post? Forget it, doesn't work here. Dthrow tech chase isn't going to work in this match up as Marth's tech goes too far too fast and technically Marth doesn't even need to tech the throw, he can escape the stun before he hits the ground. Your best bets in this match is either Uthrow for damage and a way to escape, or Bthrow and hope you can get a Bair in afterwords. Other than that, not much going on for Kirby's grab game here:cry:

A few other things to remember about this match up. Do like Hylian did, Dtilt > Dsmash as an edge guard as it has greater priority. FC is NOT to be used in this match unless absolutely necessary, and even mean when recovering. If you can air dodge to the ledge, thats what you should be doing, because Marth's Dtilt will **** your FC. The ONLY time you should use FC is if you are absolutely sure you'll sweet spot the ledge or you absolutely CAN'T get to the ledge any other way. Also, don't use stone, but I guess that goes without sayin XD.
Kirby Vs. Roy is a little different in that alot of things that don't work against Marth will work against Roy. Roy has a bit of an advantage over you, but its far from enough to make the fight un-winable.

I'll do this like I always do, stage pics first. Stage's with far walls work best Kirby and work well against Roy. Roy's recovery is one of, if not THE worst so all you really have to worry about is getting him off the stage and he'll more than likely be dead. As such, my level for this match up is Dream Land 64. You don't have to worry much about Roy's range when compared to Marth as Roy HAS to be close to fight, which relieves alot of the pressure from Kirby as far as approaching goes. As such, FD isn't really a BAD choice in this match up, but as far as stages go, DL 64 is your best bet.

As far as stage banning goes, Im gonna say Yoshi Story. Roy CAN get low % kills on YS and his recovery can actually keep him alive on that stage >_> Im also gonna say FoD as a ban, as the platforms combined with Roy's fast fall makes him dangerous. Not alot really to say about stages for this match up. Roy's another one those character that has alot of trouble everywhere(you know, low tier) like Kirby, so outside of FoD Roy has no huge advantages and outside of YS Kirby has no huge disadvantages.

As for the actual fight, Im going to first talk about Roy. Roy DOES have some advantages over Kirby, like the fact that he DOES have more range, he is faster and his grab range is alot farther than Kirby's. One of Roy's main approaches here will be Fair->Dtilt. The Fair will come out fast and stun you and the Dtilt will pop you up to which he can either grab you or Fsmash you. Another big approach is with the DED(Double Edged Dance)forward->DED up which is something else that pop you up for a grab or an Fsmash. Also watch out for Roy's DD as its usually bait for a DED. If you see Roy DDing either wait it out or(and this is the ONLY time you'll hear me say this) you MAY want to go for a Final Cutter. Roy's grab game isn't as good as Marth's, but it is still usable for him. He will probably use Fthrow or Bthrow at low damages and try and use your hit stun to follow up with an Fsmash. Beware of Roy's Fsmash, as sweet spotted it can cause some serious problems. Roy isn't huge on edge guarding, but his Dtilt can knock you out of FC and keep you from the ledge, so you want to try and avoid ever getting hit too far from the ledge.

Kirby has some actual advantages in this fight, which is a rarity, so enjoy it. First off is your recovery distance which is waaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than his. Also, unlike against Marth, you CAN CC alot in this match up as Roy's sweet spot is so close to his body. You should be weary of Dtilt, but you should be able to CC it for a while. Also, your Bair out prioritizes his aerials, which means the Fence of Pain will work well here. Roy is also a semi-fast faller which means he can be combo'd out of Utilt(REAPER COMBO FTW :kirby:) and he can be Dthrow->tech chased. However Roy is NOT a heavy weight, despite what alot of n00bs tend to believe. He's actually very light and as such can be taken off of the stage alot easier than Marth. Combined with his horrible recovery range and you can get some easy kill's against him.

There's not alot to this match up, its not horribly broken or anything, its actually pretty even as long as you keep your cool. Just make sure to keep yourself spaced correctly and try to avoid Roy's sweet spot and you should be able to win this one.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Haha thanks. I usually just do what feels natural in those kinds of matches against Marth..., but I'd help if I watched some good vids. I'll search around youtube and post em.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Hey! You quoted that from my thread.
Can you give me some tips on some "Kirby's Double"?

I'm pretty average at Singles, but when it comes to having a partner and doing Doubles, I die too fast and easily.

As far as I know, if I approach I get team killed, and if I camp, my partner gets owned.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
I in fact cannot, your gonna have to wait for t!Mmy for advice on doubles.

On a side note though, I can say that it's probably best to avoid killing your teammate when its 2v1 on all of your last stocks and then SDing so you lose >.>

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
It's not my fault I shined spiked my partner. :(
And then when it got to 1v2 I SDed.....

But on the other hand, that's my Fox and I need help with my Kirby. :kirby:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I guess I should stop avoiding this thread and start answering questions. So much work for poor t!mmy. V_V
A couple things I need help on is some advice on fighting a Marth player. When it comes down to it, Marth has superior range on Kirby.
Marth's reach pwns Kirby, and his tipper'd f-smash KOs at really low percents. What you have to do is completely read each of your opponent's moves, use a counter strategy, and then get your own hits in. If I were to go into detail about all the different strategies against each Marth's attacks, approaches, and mind games it would be a mini-guide unto itself. So what I can tell you is look at what your opponent does which is successful and formulate a movement or attack to counter it. Watching videos is a good way of picking this up quickly.

(See above posts for more details on the Kirby-Marth matchup)

Also, I was wondering if any of you could offer some advice on how to get out of situations where your opponent will camp under you when you are in the air, and keep you in the air.
Don't go up that high.

If you're in the air that high (getting hit is usually the reason), many characters will simply wait for you to come into range and then strike you (especially Marth). To get back down efficiently, you have to out-think your opponent.

* Fast fall your descent, then jump away again, then fast fall again so he doesn't know when you're coming down or not.
* Use a D-air instead of Stone, it usually catches them off guard, especially after fainting descent.
* Use a Stone instead of a D-air (try to catch your opponent when they're air-borne and aggressive)
* Air Dodge downward through their attack (use when you know they're air-borne or using a laggy attack)
* Fall to one side and then hit them with a B-air.
* Maneuver off-stage to limit their choices, force them off stage, or force them to leave you alone (go for the ledge and get invincibility frames)

Also, any tips on fighting Fox/Falco?
Approach intelligently. Use B-air, F-tilt and D-tilt to get them off the stage. Edge guard. Go for as many gimps as you can. U-tilt.

(returns to editing Kirby videos)

LordMofop108

Smash Rookie
Sounds pretty solid. Whenever I play my friend who mains Marth, I usually try to outsmart him, but I never really thought about using a Bair to recover from the air just because I completely underrated that move due to it's general weakness and low knockback. I also go really high, turn stone, fake out and do a Dair which throws him off alot, but is kindof hard to pulloff sometimes.

I agree that it's hard to use Kirby in Melee, especially since I was playing a lot of the 64 version before Melee came out and had to get use to his pure suckage. But apparently, that has changed in Brawl.

Thanks for the advice though, i'll definately try to incorporate it considering it's coming from a Kirby champ in Melee.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I completely underrated that move due to it's general weakness and low knockback.
Better to hit your opponent than to get hit. Even if the b-air is weak (not sweet-spotted) you can utilize it for its strengths (quick start-up, longish duration). Fast-falling a "missed" B-air so that it still hits for low damage can stun your opponent, interrupt his attacks, and even allow you to follow up with another attack (weak b-air to f-tilt or u-tilt for example).

Kirby really doesn't have a lot of "strong" attacks at his disposal anyway. :laugh:

Archenyte

Smash Journeyman
I'm not very good at wave dashing =(. Is there any way to get something to substitute for it? Also I kind of need a good combo against fox/falco computers because I can't find anyone to fight in Canada =(. I can beat them but I just want some kind of awesome combo or way to finish them of quickly

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Can you give me some tips on some "Kirby's Double"?
I'm pretty average at Singles, but when it comes to having a partner and doing Doubles, I die too fast and easily.
If you're having problems with Kirby in doubles, it's probably due to focusing your practice on Singles and trying to apply those techniques over to a Team Battle. Yes, it's true that the better you are in Singles the better you're going to be by default in Doubles, but there are things that differ enough between the two modes that can make them two different games entirely. First, try analyzing how you play in Singles and then see what you're using from that in Doubles, both what works and what doesn't. Remember, not only do you have an additional opponent against you, but you also have a partner adding to the mix.

Kirby in Singles is very "Mind Gamesy", because that's all he really has to rely on. While being "Mind Gamesy" in doubles is important, it is also applied differently. You cannot expect the same tactics to work without taking all the other players into account as well. Say you dash dance and your target gives you the opportunity to grab by putting up his Shield. Even if you go for the grab you could be hit first by someone if you lost focus on everyone but your target, or your partner could have worked with your dash dance to attack from behind and ends up hitting you, etc. In other words, when applying mind games you could be indirectly affecting someone else, and there's a chance the person you expect to react is distracted and not even paying attention to you!

As a partner, the Kirby player must take everyone's actions into account. Yes, that can be applied to any character, but this is emphasized - much like how mind games are emphasized for low tiers and technical mastery is often emphasized for top tiers even though they're important to both. The reason this is emphasized is basically because Kirby makes for a very good "disruptor" in teams. He can "camp" in the middle of a fight simply by being evasive and small, and making minor, safe attacks against foes (and friends - more on that later). A character like DK would have a very difficult time taking a role like this on in a team since he's a large target who is better suited to landing strong hits.

Kirby is not a powerhouse. He is not combo artist. He sure ain't a lifetank. So what role does that leave him on a team? The little discussed title as 'Disruptor' suits him well.

As a Disruptor, Kirby's job is to keep opponents - both of them - off balance, adding minor hitstun, getting grabs, and sending damaged opponents off the stage where they can be edge-guarded or forced out of the fray for a short time.

Also expect to play a big support role for your team mate because if you're actively looking to get damaging combos or powerful KOs you'd be better off as a different character. You should know what your ally wants to do and help him do it, whether by knocking an opponent toward him or with a grab to render a foe helpless. If you're good at predicting your team mate you'll be more likely to add additional hits to his attacks/combos as the foe hurtles past you. And if you're especially good you can keep combos going with u-tilts, f-tilts, d-tilts, jabs, n-air, etc.

'Defensive support' is always appreciated by a team mate in need. Interrupting an opponent who is chain grabbing or comboing your ally can save him from taking damage or even save him a stock. Don't be timid in this tactic since nothing Kirby can hit his team mate with will be as crippling as what a the foe has in mind to execute. Always be aware of when your ally is off-stage. Interrupting edge-guarders can be a godsend to your ally who might otherwise fall prey to their attacks. Kirby is generally too slow to save an ally who is unable to recover back to the stage, but if you're nearby or have sufficient time to work with, Kirby can be an amazing boon to recovery. Star-shot/Copy literally doubles any character's recovery potential (make sure to use it high up to avoid accidental Swallowcides), and weak hits such as n-air, f-air, and Aerial Hammer can grant another Up Special recovery. If timing is tight, at least go for a quick attack like U-air or B-air and try to send your partner into the side of the stage where they might be able to tech and use another Up Special.

And, this almost goes without saying, but Kirbycide. Just do it. This is especially true when you're at higher percents. Players often play more aggressively in doubles which will open up more opportunities to taking their stock. Make sure your partner knows that if you SD-Cancel a Swallowcide to "Edge Protect" you on your return. There are many stages where Kirby needs that ledge in order to get back from a Swallowcide (FD being a big one).

In short:
Know your opponents, it will help you survive.
Know your ally, it will help you with your offensive and defensive support.
Know what is happening everywhere, not just where you're looking.
Protect your partner.
Interrupt your opponents.
Kirbycide.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'm not very good at wave dashing =(. Is there any way to get something to substitute for it? Also I kind of need a good combo against fox/falco computers because I can't find anyone to fight in Canada =(.
Instead of sliding you could always roll. It's not as efficient, but you can try that as well as Dash Dancing. Sliding is great for quick movements to maintain spacing allowing you to defend or attack as needed. Keep that in mind when "substituting" other movements for it. There are other things it's used for that you can't really substitute for, such as landing slides, edge slides, and doing the Kirby Shuffle.

Lots of combos work on CPUs, even for Kirby. Try D-air, grab, d-throw, u-tilt (as many times as you want), u-air/b-air/whatever. You can also practice B-air to U-tilt and F-air to grab/F-tilt (at low percents or if you don't hit with the third kick of the F-air). Oh, and Copied Falco Laser into grabs, smashes, etc. is fun too.

LordMofop108

Smash Rookie
Better to hit your opponent than to get hit. Even if the b-air is weak (not sweet-spotted) you can utilize it for its strengths (quick start-up, longish duration). Fast-falling a "missed" B-air so that it still hits for low damage can stun your opponent, interrupt his attacks, and even allow you to follow up with another attack (weak b-air to f-tilt or u-tilt for example).

Kirby really doesn't have a lot of "strong" attacks at his disposal anyway. :laugh:
I think his up+air and his up smash seems pretty powerful. Feel free to prove me wrong, you probably have more experience playing general better players.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
You called Kirby's B-air "weak" so I assumed you were referring to when it's not a sweet-spot (10% as opposed to 14%). Contrast this with his U-air (15%) and U-smash (15% or 14% when not sweet-spotted) and you'll see it's one of his more powerful attacks.

This isn't taking his Ground Hammer (23%/16%), or his Stone (18%) into account of course. And as we know the damage done isn't always a direct relation to knockback, which is often times more important. Hitting Fox at 100% with a U-air (15% attack) is more likely to KO him than a Stone (18%) or a fully-charged, non-sweet spotted F-smash (17%).

And, as a generalization, nothing Kirby has is "powerful" - even the ground hammer - when compared to the well-known "powerful" attacks (Fox U-smash, Marth F-smash), Falcon F-Air, etc).

Sandwich

Smash Ace
Stone.
How do I put it into competitive play successfully without getting hit when I come out of it?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Stone.
How do I put it into competitive play successfully without getting hit when I come out of it?
Simple answer. You don't.

Stone cannot be used in any real match up effectively. That is not to say it CAN'T be used, its just that there are usually better options. If you WANT to use stone for some reason(like you just want to feel special or something) you can do a stone edge guard. If you KNOW your opponent has to come up from below the ledge you can just stone above the ledge and hit them as they come up. Once again there are better options here, like Dair, Bair or Nair, but if you really want to use stone:ohwell:

jwkirby64

Smash Journeyman
against powerful yet slow opponents like bowser and ganondorf,

should I use hit and run tactics where I tickle them abit with small combos and evade their counters and come back for some more.

-or-

should I hope for the best and go straight up abuse and attach on them like a metroid?

I know its best to adapt to the situation, but say it's the first stock, what's the best to start with.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Stone.
A) Make sure to hit them with it so they can't punish you immediately.
B) As a taunt when all opponents are dying off the top.
C) Rockslide.

against powerful yet slow opponents like bowser and ganondorf, should I use hit and run (or very aggressive and close tactics)?
If it's the very first stock of the first match of an unknown opponent, I usually spend at least a little bit of time evaluating them before deciding on any strategies... let alone latching onto one specific one for the entirety of the match.

But if you're looking for generalization, either strat works fine. If you're getting your hits in small bursts and remaining evasive so that you're not getting hit, sounds like you're winning. If you're laying down the smackdown and pressuring your opponent into combos and KOs, sounds like you're winning. If your opponent air dodges off four times, sounds like you're winning (though not a very exciting match). It's best to know all types of strategies, though, because good players will take advantage of openings and become aggressive but can also play it safe with good spacing, covering holes in their defenses, and getting hits in when they can.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'm sure you'd all love to ask me questions, but I ask if you could wait just a little bit so as I can put more time into video editing ... certain productions. :)

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=3835601#post3835601

Edit:
... but I will answer that last question. ^__^

Is there any way to set up a hit with ground hammer or do I need to somehow mindgame them to hit? It's hard for me to land a hit =(
The G-Hammer has significant start-up (21 frames), few frames of actual hitboxes (7 frames, front+back), and extreme lag (30 frames). In addition to all this timing, you really have to sweetspot it to get all you can out of it. This is obviously a very difficult attack to use with regular success.

You will definitely need to read your opponent very well so that you know where he is going to be at a specific time and have the hammer hitting at the proper distance at that specific time. You can do this when you know they are going defensive for a moment which will allow you the time to pull back your Hammer and then swing it at them before they even recognize the oft-unseen Kirby attack.

If they're shielding, they'll generally keep their shield up for fear of mistiming a jump or dodge. If so, the ShieldStun is usually good enough - and the attack odd enough - to keep them from punishing your lag. If their defense is a Side Step Dodge, you have a very good chance to catch them with your Hammer as the 21 frames of start-up is coincidentally - and suspiciously - perfectly timed to hit a 20-something frame Side Step. If they roll away from you, well, you won't hit, but at least they're moving away and are unlikely to do significant punishment while you swing your Hammer at them.

Another useful way of using the G-Hammer is to simply Slide back as an opponent approaches. The distancing should be just enough so that if they attack right where you used to be they will end up running right into a G-Hammer. This is especially surprising when you've slid back to the edge of the screen and the Hammer is pulled out off-screen so your opponent can't even see what you're doing. I call this the "Invisible Hammer". Lol

The more you try out the Hammer the more you realize how useless it is... but at the same time learn to recognize the rare times you can whip it out and punish opponents. Knocking an opponent to the ground and sliding back into a G-Hammer right as they stand-up in place (not tech) is a good example of recognizing a G-Hammer opportunity... as well as hitting a sleeping Jigglypuff or tech-chasing Pichu. :laugh:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
There is a mindgame you can do with the stone.

When recovering from above against someone with a slower grab you can stone to the ground. Wait for them to run up to you. Most people will grab you. So right when you see them grab hit down B. It should pop you up and dodge the grab and you are free to hit them.

Note: I would not try this more then once, as they will just charge a fsmash.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
(I got a new comp :))

Hylian's got the right idea, but even that isn't something that works overly well. The only time you can really use the stone jump mindgames is against characters like link/samus/Y.link who have very laggy, very punishable grabs. Most other characters have grabs that are fast enough to punish Kirby even after missing the first grab, or at least put up a shield to stop anything you throw out and shield grab you.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Any chance t!mmy could explain how to pull off his DDM's?

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Haaaaay. T!mmy you said you would upload a DDM video in February... =/ I wanna know what it is

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
^^Oh, his secret, huh?

^It's supposed to be the Death to Marth one.

EDIT: Actually, I got another question. What are Kirby's best and worst stages?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Best and worst are more or less character specific. Yoshi Story is generally Kirby's worst stage as it has a small death box and no where to hide. FD is another one of those general avoid stages as spammy characters like Samus, Fox, Falco and Sheik can camp you to death and Marth can just stand there and Fsmash anything you try and do. But some things are more character specific. Green Greens is an absolutely horrible stage to play DK on. FoD is a horrible place to play a Sheik.

Best stage is also character specific. Versus Falcon, FoD is a GOOD stage to play on. However the general concensus is that Kongo Jungle is one of Kirby's better stages, as is Kongo Jungle 64, due to their higher ceilings and easier gimp kills. T!Mmy's Match-up Thread is a good place to look if you want the character specific stage counter picks.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Already saw that. :rolleyes:

Anyway...who does Kirby counter? And who besides Luigi counters Kirby?

rhan

Smash Hero
Stupid noob question...

When you suck up the opponent while hopping on the edge, does pressing X or Y help get them out of your belly faster?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Already saw that. :rolleyes:

Anyway...who does Kirby counter? And who besides Luigi counters Kirby?
Kirby doesn't counter anyone. While it seems a little harsh to say that, Kirby in fact counters NO characters, not even Pichu or Mewtwo(their even at best) As for who counters Kirby, Marth, Fox, Samus, Gannon, Luigi are all hard counters. DK and Sheik are soft counters(don't believe the lies, Kirby does NOT counter Sheik)

Stupid noob question...

When you suck up the opponent while hopping on the edge, does pressing X or Y help get them out of your belly faster?
What?

rhan

Smash Hero
lol Like if you suck up the opponent and your falling off the stage, does rapidly tapping X or Y help get them out your belly.

Top Bottom