• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The announcer better say "this game's winner is"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Lets be real now... The announcer could explicitly cuss us out in 20 different languages after every match and we'd still get the game.

I'm pretty sure you'll be alright.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Lets be real now... The announcer could explicitly cuss us out in 20 different languages after every match and we'd still get the game.

I'm pretty sure you'll be alright.
No way man!

I will be let down if they use the inferior dialogue!

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber

jk. Id still get the game if it said "The losers are:". But in all nostalgia AND hype sense, it is a slight bit more pleasing to hear "This games winner is"

...as well I did like the plain black background and just the winner fighter on screen to really emphasize who won on Melee. Id made me feel like "YEAHHHH WOOO". Brawl's victory "room" just kinda gave me a feeling of "yeah... I won yay. play again?"

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
jk. Id still get the game if it said "The losers are:". But in all nostalgia AND hype sense, it is a slight bit more pleasing to hear "This games winner is"

...as well I did like the plain black background and just the winner fighter on screen to really emphasize who won on Melee. Id made me feel like "YEAHHHH WOOO". Brawl's victory "room" just kinda gave me a feeling of "yeah... I won yay. play again?"
A more zoomed in focus on the winner is what you're looking for.

I agree.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
...I don't think I noticed until now that in Brawl he says it differently.
Lol, I guess as long as he says something I'm good.

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
I loved the tension during double star K.Os.

This games winner is....... Captain Falcon!

YISSSSSSSSSSS

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Yeah, well, that's cool, but Melee's pitch black victory screen is terrible.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I think Brawl's announcer was mostly boring-sounding, really. Melee's rocked to no end.

"GAME!"

"A NEW RECORD!"

"SUPER SMASH BROTHERS,

MELEEEEEEEEE~~EEEEEH!"

And yes, bring back that quote above, while just showing the winner itself. Yeah.

Last edited:

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
One of friends thought that Melee's announcer shouted "DISCO INFERNOOO IS!! *character name* " on the victory screen

edit: All three games' victory screen are very, very dull. The characters should pose on a podium instead, with Master hand and Crazy hand clapping, the Elite Beat Agents dancing in the background and a lot of Nintendo character cameos cheering on the sidelines.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Now the Melee praise is just getting ridic.

Either dialogue is acceptable and really this isn't even an important part of the game's success at all.

JediLink

Smash Ace
Maybe I'm just biased from nostalgia here, but I'm pretty sure Melee has a better everything.

EDIT: Although, Melee doesn't have those neat intro animations that both 64 and Brawl have. That's something I guess.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I could barely understand the Melee announcer and pretty much filtered him out because his voice clips were so god awfully distorted.

At least the 64 and Brawl announcers could articulate their words properly.

Ulti-Bman

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0318-7834-6568
Just make the announcer clear as crystal, yet hammy as madness twisted into a plastic bag. Simple.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
One of friends thought that Melee's announcer shouted "DISCO INFERNOOO IS!! *character name* " on the victory screen

edit: All three games' victory screen are very, very dull. The characters should pose on a podium instead, with Master hand and Crazy hand clapping, the Elite Beat Agents dancing in the background and a lot of Nintendo character cameos cheering on the sidelines.
Nah, keep it simple.
Now the Melee praise is just getting ridic.

Either dialogue is acceptable and really this isn't even an important part of the game's success at all.
Yeah it's not like the line was in 64 or anything.
I could barely understand the Melee announcer and pretty much filtered him out because his voice clips were so god awfully distorted.

At least the 64 and Brawl announcers could articulate their words properly.
Missing the point. Your bad hearing aside it's about the line "This game's winner is..."

Also I realize this isn't critical to the game's success but considering there's a thread dedicated to a podcast, fictional movesets and smelling the characters there's absolutely 0 room to criticize this thread for existing.

Yeah, well, that's cool, but Melee's pitch black victory screen is terrible.
We get it, Brawl is a godsend, Melee is terrible blah blah blah. Don't you have worthless threads that don't have to do with the game to make?

Last edited:

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I would love if it said "this game's winner is"

But everything was black until the winner's name was mentioned. Or like, it shows everyone and then the winner is announced, and the characters react accordingly.

What I liked the most about Melee's (and even smash 64's) victory screen was that it was like a freeze frame picture after the victory, and that sword clang and flash that accompanies it just gives it a slick finish. The background was pure and simple and still incorporated the other players.

Not to mention Melee gave you bonus points based on your playing. It's not a big deal but me and my friends always loved to read that stuff

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Hope they don't skip out on the entrance taunts neither.. more would be great.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I would love if it said "this game's winner is"

But everything was black until the winner's name was mentioned. Or like, it shows everyone and then the winner is announced, and the characters react accordingly.
That's actually a damn good idea, especially if it's a close game and the players aren't sure who won.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Missing the point. Your bad hearing aside it's about the line "This game's winner is..."
No, the voice clips were terribly edited in Melee. It's supposed to simply sound like an echo (like it does in 64 and Brawl), but in Melee, they sound like someone is speaking with a glass covering their mouth. It's also clearly a Japanese person speaking Engrish.

"DEES GEEMS WIENER I-AHS...FARCO!!!!"

I really don't care about what phrases the announcer utters, but objectively, the sound editing was kind of off in Melee. This isn't a serious criticism though, as plenty of Japanese games around that time had poor sound direction.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
No, the voice clips were terribly edited in Melee. It's supposed to simply sound like an echo (like it does in 64 and Brawl), but in Melee, they sound like someone is speaking with a glass covering their mouth. It's also clearly a Japanese person speaking Engrish.

"DEES GEEMS WIENER I-AHS...FARCO!!!!"

I really don't care about what phrases the announcer utters, but objectively, the sound editing was kind of off in Melee. This isn't a serious criticism though, as plenty of Japanese games around that time had poor sound direction.
Ok for 2 seconds let's imagine I said "do it like 64".

Now will you stop missing the point? Please?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Ok for 2 seconds let's imagine I said "do it like 64".

Now will you stop missing the point? Please?
I didn't miss it, I simply ignored it and made my own because this topic is based off of the mother of all nitpicks and is hardly viable as the sole point of discussion for most people, as evidenced by how many other people in the topic have spun it into their own points like I just did. Don't single me out just because I made a small, critical, inoffensive observation regarding an aspect of Melee's presentation. You literally asked for this topic to spin off into all manner of points when you made this topic. You're hardly going to get passionate, heated discussion out of "It should be this game's winner is instead of the winner is".

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
I honestly think Melee was the worst presentation-wise. 64 and Brawl were both better for me.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I never really liked Melee's results screen, so I was happy they kinda went back to Smash 64's version in Brawl and I hope they do that again for Smash 4 too.

As for the "This game's winner is","The Winner is" etc lines. Eh he can just say "hey look -insert name here- won this match today, yay!" for all I care. So long as they get the point across really. But I guess that's just my opinion... :T

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I didn't miss it, I simply ignored it and made my own because this topic is based off of the mother of all nitpicks and is hardly viable as the sole point of discussion for most people, as evidenced by how many other people in the topic have spun it into their own points like I just did. Don't single me out just because I made a small, critical, inoffensive observation regarding an aspect of Melee's presentation. You literally asked for this topic to spin off into all manner of points when you made this topic. You're hardly going to get passionate, heated discussion out of "It should be this game's winner is instead of the winner is".
Life's too short.

Roster? Lol. No.
Not if you like Mewtwo, Pichu Dr. Mario and Roy.

More isn't always better.

Also, whats the beef with people wanting to enjoy what they want? If smash has shown us anything, it's the little things that count. Even though most players wont see the expressions or the little details on things we still appreciate that they are there. So yes, even a minor announcer statement means something.

The best work is done when you don't notice anything at all.

Last edited:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I wouldn't mind somethin different, like,
The Champion of the Match is...!
The Champion is...!
...Is The Champion!
...Wins!
...Is The Winner!

And also don't forget a joke victory dialogue for when Luigi wins.
This Games Winner Is......... Luigi?
Or one for Ganon?
This Game's Winner is DUN DUN DUUUNNNN... GANONDORF!

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
What I liked the most about Melee's (and even smash 64's) victory screen was that it was like a freeze frame picture after the victory, and that sword clang and flash that accompanies it just gives it a slick finish. The background was pure and simple and still incorporated the other players.

Not to mention Melee gave you bonus points based on your playing. It's not a big deal but me and my friends always loved to read that stuff
I have to agree on the bonus points. I don't usually play the Bonus mode but it's always fun playing regular matches, especially with friends, and try to achieve certain bonuses or seeing some you got unintentionally in the end. For example, there's a bonus called "Master of Disaster" which subtracts X amount of points. You get it if you self-destructed the most during a match, so we always hope that we don't get that bonus, as it's kinda embarrassing. And it's always hilarious if you accidentally explode a teammate and they die as it counts as an SD. :laugh: Nintendo also put some references in some:

Switzerland: Never attack (including misses) and never took any damage
Rocket KO: Star KO'd all opponents on a team
Etc., etc.

But anyway, I don't mind if the victory announcement is like Melee's. I think I would prefer if the announcer says different lines, just to shake things up... or perhaps have an option on what lines. Add a little bit of customization, y'know? But I'm sure I'll be fine with what we're getting anyway -- things don't have to be fancy to please me.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Guys guys guys.

How about, instead of announcing the winner,

He says: "And the loser(s) is(are)..." and then "Congratulations, you suck, quit Smash please!".

No? Ok...:urg:

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
You're literally a unicorn on this forum if you loved all 3 Smash Bros equally and had them all take up huge portions of your life.
Can't have a conversation without a smug Melee fan reminding everyone how much they prefer the game.

Why would you want to revert to a more convoluted announcement, when the far more streamlined Brawl announcement did the same job?
It's the "Melee is better in every aspect than every other Smash game so for me to like this new Smash game it needs to be Melee" crowd.

Last edited:
You're literally a unicorn on this forum if you loved all 3 Smash Bros equally and had them all take up huge portions of your life.
Can't have a conversation without a smug Melee fan reminding everyone how much they prefer the game.

It's the "Melee is better in every aspect than every other Smash game so for me to like this new Smash game it needs to be Melee" crowd.
Who's being smug? Why can't we like a particular game? I feel like if the consensus agrees that something about a game was more enjoyable then that means the game got something right. Would you feel the same way if people said the same about 64 or Brawl? No, because you are ignoring the fact that we are talking about all of the games.

Now what IS smug if your condescending hypocritical remarks about people who enjoyed the game. But since you are so densely enveloped in tunnel vision you can't seem to acknowledge and respect the accomplishments made by the previous smash games and celebrate the fact that they are all played and we all have our preferences.

Melee was a solid game and did things right. Quit being such a fanboy and leave people be. Just as you can't post in a thread without a Melee fan, we can't post in a thread without some asshole telling us we have some sort of superiority complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom