• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Amateur's Almighty- A Mewtwo Guide by Quak

quak

Smash Champion
am·a·teur Pronunciation
[am-uh-choor]
1. a person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional reasons.

Although some people can take they're mewtwo to a tourney and win, odds are you came to this dark corner of the forums to '**** around' with mewtwo. But what's even more fun is to win with him, and I'm going to try to help you do that.

This guide was created with the assumption that the reader is already knows the basic adv. techs in the game such as shuffl's, wd's, and the like. And also with the assumption that readers thought the previous guide was lame /unorganized /confusing /sub par.

Table of Contents

I. Pros and Cons
II. Physical Characteristics
III. Physical Moves

IV. And In Depth look at Special Moves
--Shadow Ball
--Confusion
--Disable
--Teleport​
V. Grab Game
-Methods of Grabbing
--Throwing​
VI. Edge Play
-Edge Guarding
--Recovering​
VII. Shield Tactics
VIII. Approachal Techniques

IX. Advanced Techs
-The Shadow Ball Charge Cancel
--SHBAWD'ing
--The Double Jump Cancel
--Instant DJC'ing​
X. Way's to KO
XI. More Common Character Matchups
--Fox
--Falco
--Sheik
--Marth
--Peach
--Captain Falcon​
I. Pro's and Con's

The Pros
  • Ridiculously good recovery
  • 3rd best wd in game
  • Great grabs/throws
  • Not many people know how to play against a good Mewtwo
  • Attack animations and movement make him look like the new jesus
  • Post-game gloating factor x3

The Cons
  • Mewtwo is TOO ****ING BIG
  • Easy to kill due to weight
  • Combo game is sub-par
  • Feels awkward and weird to newbies
  • Approchal is very lacking
  • Can't deal with a projectile spam effectively
  • Mewtwo kills at higher percents almost exclusivly
  • Mewtwo is TOO ****ING BIG!

II. Physical Characteristics

When first starting up with mewtwo, he feels.......awkward. Which is a deterrent to new users, and why many people seldom pick him up after finding that out. Here's some of facts about him.
  • Traction- Gives him the 3rd best wavedash in the game, which is much faster, and more mobile, than running. Learn how to do it perfectly. But the downside is his low traction makes his sheildgrab a little harder to do.
  • Momentum- Ever get kneed by a C.Falcon, then techroll it, and still get pushed off the stage anyways after the animation is over? That's because of the combination of low traction and his light weight. It's frustrating when you don't see it coming, and doesn't seem to make sense. But you'll be able to predict when it happens with time.
  • Double Jump- slow and laggy, but it allows for a DJC, very nice
  • Moonwalk- He can do it! Not so useful, but it's nice!
  • He is floaty- harder to combo in some matchups, easier in others
  • He is light-he, um...dies faster...no real advantage there.
  • Best roll in the game-farthest, very quick, but still should only be used for retreating
  • Spotdodge-blows. <-- See that? It's a period. His spot dodge blows period. Slow, long, laggy, easily punished. But there's hope with alternatives.
  • Airdodge- makes him invisible and you can move a little so it's not as easy to punished afterwards.

III. Physical Moves
(with the 'A' button, der)

Now, im going to rate mewtwo's physical moveset, if your looking for exact frame data, find it at smashwiki.com, someone already did it. Im rating his physical moveset based my experience, and keywords that i think make up a good move. Scale of 0-10, followed by a brief(ish) description. Note that that these ratings are relative to mewtwo himself, if i compared them with other characters, it would sound more like a non-helpful rant than a guide.

tem·po
[tem-poh]
2. Characteristic rate, rhythm, or pattern of work or activity. Ex: the tempo of city life.

Most of us know that smash is all about speed speed speed. The faster the tempo, the better in smash. But tempo means more than just speed, it's got to have like a rhythm, fluidity, and flow. It's also got to be able to segue into another hit easily, which makes a combo. That's why i like that word.

5 Categories: Tempo, Range, Priority, Damage, Knockback.

Jab: Tempo=2, Range=2, Priority=4, Damage=1, Knockback=0

Other than to pop off some projectiles occasionally, i don't use this attack at all. It's too slow for a jab, and too much wind down lag to segue into anything against a competent opponent. (Let's assume from now on, that your opponent is competent)
F-tilt: Tempo=4, Range=7, Priority=6, Damage=5, Knockback=5

It's a good f-tilt, can start a combo, but it's difficult. Sweetspot is 3/4 towards the tip of the tail. Since it knocks away horizontally, you have to tech chase, and then follow up. But this attack doesn't slow your tempo too much, just use sparingly.​

U-tilt: Tempo=7, Range=4, Priority=5, Damage=5, Knockback=6

Great tilt, if you hit the sweetspot, which is near the trunk of the tail. It will deal more damage and send your opponent in the ideal trajectory for comboing. Quick, low wind down lag, and can be followed up by aerials easily. Although it's hard to hit since it's small range on the ground.​

D-tilt: Tempo=10, Range= 5, Priority=10, Damage=6, Knockback=3

YES! Mewtwo's best tilt by far. The best set up for a combo. Ridiculously high priority for some reason. Speedy, links into almost anything(fair, nair, uair, grab, and more). Most people approach with this with wavedashing. Careful with the spam against Sheilders and CC'ers, you will get punished, so be sure to grab when you see them doing either tactic.​

F-Smash: Tempo=0, Range=9, Priority=6, Damage=9, Knockback=8

Eh, too slow for any close combat, really only useful for reaching over the edge to edge-guard. Sweetspot in center of blast. Can kill, somewhat. It's range and damage is good, it's too slow for use to rack up damage in the beginning. Although the D-smash is probably a better choice in most occasions, no one can resist hadoken-ing someone in the face.​

U-Smash: Tempo=6, Range=4, Priority=5, Damage=7, Knockback=7

Nice, if you get it off. Can be over-prioritized from strong attacks, usually not if it's weaker or it has small range. Comes out quickly, and wind's down quickly so you don't get punished if you connect. However, if you miss, you get punished with a charged smash, the long animation is a little to risky for spamming use, best used with surprise factor. Nice follow up to d-tilt. Use very sparingly.​

D-Smash: Tempo=1, Range=8, Priority=8, Damage=8, Knockback=9.

Smash with the most knockback. Big hitbox. Great for edgegaurding. No sweetspot, as in, the knockback/damage is the same no matter where it hits. Too slow to be used close combat, not CCC'able. But it's nice to punch in a kill. I dunno, there just something magical about pointing at something, and then watching it blow up.
Dash attack: Tempo=5, Range=6, Priority=6, Damage=6, Knockback=4

Good to start up combos, cause the trajectory it sends people, but not the best move. Long attack frames means you get shield grabbed. Also means that it's tough to combo with. Don't exclude it completely from your choices of attacks, just use some moderation.​

Nair (Neutral Air): Tempo=6, Range=3, Priority=1, Damage=8, Knockback=6

This attack is far from the usual nair. It's better. It stacks loads of damage. It L cancels fairly fast. You can sometimes spam/chain this nair against people who aren't used to playing you. The longer you connect with this attack the more damage it does, logically. But whenever it ends, whether it's L-canceled or attack animation ends in the air, there is a 'final knockback.' It knocks your opponent away to give you some breathing room. However, watch the spamming because it has low priority, this attack usually connects by it's low/no windup lag, not because it has high priority. Most characters aerials can plow through your nair with ease.​

*Note* The final knockback can be heavily influenced if you DI during the attack. DI to the right will make your opponent go left, and vice versa. Also note if you DI too far, you will disconnect with no final knock back, allowing you to possibly follow up with a surprising attack.​

Fair: Tempo=8, Range=2, Priority=8, Damage=7, Knockback=5

Your main juggling attack, great damage, almost instantaneous, high stun, small hit box, but not too much knockback. You can chain these against fastfallers like a madman, or even against floaties with your super high second jump. Best attack to use with the DJC, and best attack to use after you shield. But wait, there's more. This attack kills floaties with ease, around 100 ish. Which is pretty low considering it's mewtwo. And it looks cool if you have a fully charged shadow ball.:chuckle:

Bair: Tempo=6, Range=10, Priority=6, Damage=4, Knockback=6

Great edgegaurding attack, sweetspot is the thickest part of mewtwo's tail and a little down. I like this for an edgegaurd much better than the dair, as it can't be meteor canceled. Feel free to chain these on your hapless opponent as he's trying to recover. Since your recovery is no issue, you can be very far from the stage before you have to be concerned about getting back. You can SHBAWD this bair, but more on that later.
Uair: Tempo=7, Range=6, Priority=5, Damage=6, Knockback=6

Hits pretty far above you. The sweetspot isn't the tip of the tail, it's about 3/4 towards the tip. The more i play mewtwo, the more i like this attack. Good at damaging opponents on above platforms, and good for comboing fastfallers after an upthrow. Trajectory of the opponent is based on when you hit with you attack, like captain falcon's, except mewtwo's doesn't hit as much horizontally. Another good juggling attack. Learn to shffl this attack, if you're quick enough, you can chain and combo with them.​

Dair: Tempo=2, Range=2, Priority=3, Damage=7, Knockback=6

Pretty bad spike, actually, a really bad spike. Long wind up, somewhat difficult to connect, easily meteor canceled. Some people like to use it as a regular attack, especially at lower percents while their opponent is standing, because of the non techable stun. However, i just avoid this attack, it's windup is too long, and the pay off isn't worth it in most occasions.​

IV. An in depth look at The Special Moves
(The 'B' button, for the people whose trees don't go to the top branch)

The ShadowBall
(neutral b)

Now the shadowball projectile itself can be used 2 basic ways (charged or not), in addition to the charge shocking the player, so 3 ways total. Let's start with the most obvious use, then work from there.

Fully Charged ShadowBall

One of mewtwo's few kills, you must conserve when firing these off, but try not to die before you get it off, obviously. This is mewtwo's reliable, lowest damage kill, usually killing at around 75%-80%. Also stacks on something like 25 damage. Must use mindgames for the kill since it's slow travel rate. Firing at recovering opponent is a good idea, cause they usually can't do anything to stop it (be slightly more cautious against people with reflectors/capes) Also, keep in mind that if you chuck this in the air, you will be send backwards with considerable speed/force.​

Not Charged ShadowBall

Wind up lag is discouraging, but it's good for a projectile once it's out because of it's slow rate of travel and stun. Only spam this attack if you opponent's character can't deal with projectile spam, otherwise, use sparingly. Now, normally, traveling slow is a bad thing, but you can turn it into a positive quite easily.

Like Doc's pills, you can chase these somewhat, not as well as doc, but well enough to make it useful. This is done by firing one out, then wavedashing quickly to follow it. It often puts your opponent into pickles, or lose-lose situations.​

ShadowBall Charge

Okay, i like this thing. When it connects, not only do you ping your opponent over and over till he DI's away, not only do you get some shadowball charge out of it, it's cancel-able. Hitting L during the animation allows you to almost instantly move again. This is called the "ShadowBall Charge Cancel" (newly dubbed SBCC). But more on that in the advanced tech section.​

Confusion
(Forward B)

Two totally different ways to view this attack, I'll try my best not to be biased, although odds are my opinions will seep through.

What it does

Against a projectile, it bounces the projectiles away from mewtwo. Note: this attack does not 'reflect' projectiles like the shine does, it just makes the projectile travel in the opposite direction. Now against an opponent, it twirls them in the air, deals about 10, then leaves them tumbling in the air. It also grabs them through shields. On battlefield, there is a glitch where you pull em through the stage by ledgehop it.​

Why people like it

It's a great mindgame. People almost never see it coming, meaning they hardly tech it. Has Priority #1, good range, and decent damage. Some say that it is good for recovering, but this is false, it gives horizontal distance yes, but your trading for vertical distance, as well as stun which is easily punishable. Besides, Mewtwo's recover is good enough without it.​

Why people hate it

Some people, not me of course, not at all *cough*....but some people think it's laggy, easily punished, not mobile, too slow for projectile defense, pay off isn't worth risk, and breaks your tempo. I also say that you can be punished for it easily even if you connect with it. Er, I mean, SOME PEOPLE say that...​

You have to make your own opinions about this move, if it works great, if it doesn't, then oh well.

Disable
(Down B)

Again, another controversial attack. So I'll break it down just like confusion.

What it does

If your opponent is facing you, and if your opponent is on the ground, it will ping him for 1%, but the opponent becomes immobile, similar animation to their shied breaking. They get a red tinge, and look like they've got a massive hangover. But unlike breaking their shield, they have much less stun on them. In fact the stun is based on damage, higher the damage, longer the stun, and wiggling makes the opponent's stun significantly less. Imagine them being grabbed, but only your opponent is stunned, mewtwo can move freely. Also, if you disable them again, while they're stunned, it knocks them back a little, but it's kind of a waste.​

However in the air, it simply pings them for 1%, interrupts any move's animation, then sends them into a tumble. And no matter how much you want it to be, so far, it's never been a good idea. It doesn't counter shffl'ing and it won't work against competant firefoxes/falcos.​

Why people like it

Again, a great mindgame, people simply do not see this **** coming. Pay off is great, a free hit! Who doesn't want that? Taking time to get your spacing, or selecting a combo starter move is great. And it's flashy and looks cool, your opponent will probably be so shocked in awe, or so embarrassed that their head will explode, no joke. I've seen it happen.​

Why people hate it

It's too situational/unreliable. 1) You have to be facing each other (not too hard i know), 2) you have a lot of wind up lag and assuming you don't get punished for it, 3) it has a very short range. And since you have to be close, and you have wind up lag, you'll almost always get hit before the disable comes out. Plus, if it does connect, it can be wiggled out too quickly to do anything too special. But even people who disagree with the use of this attack, still admit that it looks awesome when pulled off because they know a guy who knew a guy whose head exploded because of a successful disable.​

Again, you'll have to come up with your own opinions. Mess around with both of these attacks, and see how they feel.

Teleport
(Up B)

This move isn't controversial. This move is solid. One of the best up B's in the game. Speedy, slightly unpredictable, ninjalike, gets you a pretty far distance. Doesn't deal any damage, but it doesn't have to. Always make sure that you NEVER teleport to the ground, as it will cause unnecessary and too much lag. If you want to get to the ground. Teleport right above it, and then fastfall. Much less lag. Good tactic against jugglers is to teleport back to the ground before they hit you again using method above. Note: if you pause right before you teleport, you look all powerful.​

V. Grab Game

In this section i will discuss methods of grabbing, and what to do once you grab them.

Methods of Grabbing

After all, you can't do anything with a throw till you've actually grabbed em. I'll list off the best ways to get a hold of them.

Jump Canceled Grab

A jump canceled grab, or 'JC grab' for short, is done by jumping immediately (using x or y) before grabbing while your running. What it does is it lets you do your standing grab, with out breaking your forward momentum, which is less lag than your running grab animation. Less lag=good. I find that it helps you adds to your tempo, and it's easier to grab your opponent as well. The timing to do it is similar to wavedashing. I would suggest always JC'ing your grab whenever you want to do a dash grab.​

Grunt Grab

This is exactly like the JC grab, but you hit 'A' instead of X or Y. If done right, this should completely stop all forward momentum, even though you are still doing your dash grab. I've been told that it makes a bigger grab box, but since it kills you momentum and is awkward to do, i aviod it. But as for any tactic, always learn how to do it consistently before you make your decision to use it or not.​

D-Tilt --> JC Grab

Reliable. After a d-tilt, a JC grab is too easy to do. It's works on most if not all charactors. It's a nice chain, that can be frequently done due to the d-tilt's speed.​

Shadowball Chase Grab

Fire an uncharged shadowball, chase it with your awesome wavedash, JC a grab, Viola! This is a good tactic to do because it's one of the quickest pickles you can pull on your opponent. If he takes the shadowball, the stun is long enough or you to get a grab. If he spot dodges or rolls to avoid the shadow ball, he gets grabbed. If he jumps, then you should intercept with one of you quick aerials (nair or fair preferably). Obviously, this is far from foolproof, but is still great to use.​

Shield Grabbing

A reliable tactic to use, but to a point. Since mewtwo's traction is low, he slides when his shield gets hit more than others. It might take some time to get used to, but you will. Also keep in mind that if you lightshield, you'll slide further. Careful not to just sit with your shield up and wait for your opponent to attack, cause it's obvious what your trying to do. Use mindgames people.​

Grab Ping

I'm making this a new subtitle just to emphasis it's importance. After you've grabbed someone, why wouldn't you ping them? It's free damage! Make sure you don't lose your throw as a result of trying to squeeze in too many pings, though. A good rule of thumb is for every 35%, you should be able to ping them once.​

Throwing

As you probably know, mewtwo's throws are very good (except for one). Here they are, and how to use them effectively.

Forward Throw

LAME. Does something like 6-8%, can't kill, but the knockback is too great to do combo with it. You can throw them up against a wall for 20% damage, but usually too situational, and I've been told your opponent can wall-tech-jump away almost immediately.​

Down Throw

Great throw if your opponent doesn't DI correctly, average if he does. Odds are good that he won't DI correctly, because most people don't know how to play mewtwo. If he doesn't DI correctly, you get a more free damage. Follow up with a d-tilt or fair or whatever else you can pull off, and combo him from there.

If he does DI correctly (which would be away from you) and then techs, he's still not out of danger. If you know you opponent will DI away and tech, use it against him, TECHCHASE! If you have a good wavedash, you should be able to tech chase someone who DI's away and techs away. Oh man, being psychic pays off, another free hit, grab, or anything (people like to use disable a lot to show off). Or, you could let a fully charged shadow ball do your tech chasing for you....​

Up Throw

Stacks on significant damage with high knockback, best grab kill against floaties. You can combo with this grab on fastfallers with little or no damage on them. Up throw-->upair --> d-tilt --> grab is one of my favorites, but people usually use fair.​

Back Throw

Good damage, great knockback, best to kill against fastfallers and heavy characters. Back throw to edgegaurding/hogging is encouraged. Bringing me to my next topic....
VI. EdgePlay

This section will cover all game on the ledge, offensive and defensive.

EdgeGaurding

Meaning, you have knocked off your opponent and don't want him to come back. With mewtwo, your edgegaurding choices are limited, so master the ones you do have. Best idea is to wait on the stage for your recovering opponent, and react to where/how he's recovering, and proceed to do the best one below for that situation.

Down Smashing

Simple to do, and you look sav doing it. High knockback almost always kills, if you hit them far enough from the stage, they can't wall jump tech, but if you pinch them between the stage and your blast, then they can Smash DI--> wall jump tech and avoid dying. This is better on fastfallers, and terrible against floaties, because of the trajectory it sends your opponent​

Forward Smashing

Tricky to pull off, only really good against firefox/birds who don't sweetspot. This smash sends your opponent in a trajectory that's a little harder to recover from. But the D-smash has more knockback and is easier to hit, and doesn't have to be sweetspoted. But then again, your opponent can't wall jump tech this, and hadoken-ing people is fun, especially when it kills, and you look oh so sav-er. Depends on the situation, you decide.​

Nair

Just jump off the stage and nair! If they're floaty, DI away from the stage to try and level spike them, if they're a fastfaller, you could just DI towards the stage to try and knock them too far away to recover. But make sure you stay connected the entire duration of the attack, you need to final knockback to punch in that kill.​

Edgehoging

Simply put, there can only be one person on the ledge, if that person is you, it can't be your opponent. A few different tactics to do this. There is...
  • Wavedashing Backwards
  • Moonwalking (no real advantage over wd'ing)
  • Super Ultra Ninja Cookies-(running off the stage and immediately sweetspoting a teleport)

Edgegaurding while Edgehoging

So here's the situation, you opponent is recovering while your hanging from the ledge, He's getting too close for comfort, so what do you do?

Bairs

Oh yeah, with good priority, massive range, and relatively quick animation, this attack is ideal for keeping them away. It's also easy to chain a few of these, you my need to use your 2nd jump for positioning, but you want to be sure he's not coming back. Your teleport recovers a lot of distance, so don't be too timid with these. Also keep in mind the sweet spot for the bair is near the trunk of the tail.​

Dair

Not my attack of choice. Somewhat awkward to land, small hitbox with long wind up, slow pitch speed therefore easily meteor canceled. Good against those characters with only a good horizontal recovery (IE: bowser, DK) but i wouldn't use this to edgegaurd otherwise.​

Ledge-a-porting

As seen in Taj's combo video, this tactic repetitively refreshes the invincibility you get from grabbing the ledge (not an infinite). Good to use when you know your opponent is too far away, to recover onto the stage, but also has a third jump with can ping you off the edge. This is done by letting go of the ledge, double jumping backwards, and sweetspoting a teleport with celerity. Careful you don't let your opponent ninja the ledge from you before you teleport, as you will die.​

Recovering

This means that something went wrong, and now you have to recover and get back on your feet. Here are some general tips:
  1. Avoid Grabbing the ledge - Mewtwo can't ledgehop well and you have a lot less options and mobility on the ledge than in the air. His recovery is good enough that you shouldn't have to grab the ledge in most occasions.
  2. Do NOT use confusion. People have been recommending this to others and it's driving me NUTS! Although it does give you a slight vertical boost initially, the wind lag brings you down too far. Plus, against a character like marth, well, you do it and see what happens, its not pretty.
  3. If you've got a fully charged shadowball, it's a good idea to throw it, but make sure you can make it back, considering the amount of force it sends you backwards. It'll at least give you enough time to get back on your feet.
  4. Airdodging: Many edgegaurders can read your teleport, but they don't see the airdodge coming. Mix it up though, you don't want to be predictable with either.
  5. If you can't possibly make it back on your feet, always sweetspot the ledge, there's just no reason not too.

Crap, I did #5...... what now?

Dam it, okay here are you best options, you should do these BEFORE you invincibility wears off. And you NEED to mix these up, otherwise you get read, and die.

Ledgehop a Teleport

Strictly defensive, a good way to quickly get back on your feet. Do this by letting go of the ledge, double jumping backwards, and simply teleport back on the stage. Reliable, but somewhat predictable.​

LedgeDrop --> Uair

Used only when your opponent is too close to the ledge, it's a really quick way to knock him away. By pressing away from the ledge, then immediately uair'ing (preferably with the c-stick), your tail will go through the stage, hopefully hitting your opponent with the sweetspot,, giving you time to get back on the stage.​

WaveGlide

Easier to do because of mewtwo's lag on his second jump, but a bit slower. You perform it by ledgedropping, then immediately double jump, and then an airdodge, just like a waveland, just off the edge. Only to be used when your opponent is far away for some reason (cause he doesn't take mewtwo seriously). It's a good surprise, that can easily be follow with a combo starting attack (like a d-tilt).​

Ledge-a-port

Eh, sure why not. Mindgames your opponent, fluster him, then do one of the other's on this list. Keep in mind that this isn't infinite, even when performed perfectly, and odds are, you won't. Use it when your feeling lucky.​

Hit A, X, or L

Don't be predictable with these, if you going to do them. You don't always have to go for the hit. Just some more options for ya.​

Here are some other tactics for the edge written up by Airo. Note: if you have questions about this, address him, not me.

-----------------------

the key to selecting the proper option for recovering is your opponents spacing from the edge.

if he is really close to the edge, use these options:
make use of your second jump to reach as high as you can and from there you can
-----simply land
-----teleport to land on stage.
fall below the stage, use your second jump and rising aerial.
-----rising fair
-----rising uair
-----rising nair

once they catch on, they try to space themselves away from the ledge, such that you wont be able to punish them with your rising aerials. at this point, you MUST sweetspot your teleport and grab the ledge, because their spacing is appropriate to punish any means of you have to return to stage. restraining from grabbing the ledge is simply restricting yourself of options and adding to your predictability. on top, mewtwo has no sexkick or other factors that help him defend against enemies aerials. against a fox, you are setting yourself up for an upair. grabbing the ledge simply opens mewtwo to many more possibilities.

if their spacing is midranged, use:
-----use ledge attack by pressing A
-----ledgehop back and horizontal teleport back to stage
-----let go and teleport diagonally upwards towards stage
-----confusion (free damage, practically.... and you still have your second jump and teleport to lead you to safety)

however, their spacing distances are usually really far away from the ledge. to guard themselves from your rising aerials. if you resume using rising aerials from second jump, you will either get shield grabbed, or eat a charged up smashed. from this point, your best options would be to either

1) reach behind him with:
-----roll back on stage
-----ledgehop back and horizontal teleport back to stage

or
2) get back on stage in front of him.
-----let go and air dodge diagonally upwards back to stage
-----tap up
-----ledgehop upwards and diagonally teleport downwards to land on stage.
-----ledgecanceled teleport to stage. (takes practice, but awesome)

for more advance mindgames, other stalls are also usable such as
-----ledgehop shadowball to ledgegrab
-----let go and airdodge diagonally backwards then regrab stage
-----ledgehop back and teleport sweetspot back to ledgegrab
-----let go and teleport horizontally and grab ledge.
VII. Shield Tactics

Mewtwo has more options than most others characters when he is shielding, liiiike:
  • WD'ing out of your shield
  • Shield Grabbing
  • SH Fair
  • SH Teleport
  • SH Disable
  • SH SBCC (reversible)

WaveDashing from your shield

Another strickly defensive tactic, this is used solely for getting away. It gets you away pretty far, and pretty fast, because of mewtwo's good wavedash. Can be followed up nicely with a backwards roll, for even more distance, with invincibility frames.​

Shield Grabbing

Already covered in the grabbing section. Thought it should be mentioned here anyways for organizational purposes.​

Short Hopped Fair

Simple to do, and potentially starts up a combo. Just Short Hop out of you shield and fair. It's an alternative to shield grabbing (range is similar, trajectory is not.) Good on medium damaged opponents.​

Short Hopped Teleport

Done exactly the same as SH fair, but another defensive tactic. Gets you distance fast. Alternate to wavedashing out of your shield. Again (sigh*), make sure you teleport right above the ground, then fastfall, to cut down lag.​

Short Hopped Disable

I can't make it work for me, it's tricky to hit it because you're in the air, and you are already taller than most characters, as well as the long windup. Play around with it, don't exclude it just cause i don't use it. Some people it works for, im just not one of em.​

Short Hop SBCC

A great way to punish the opponents who think they can outsmart you by attacking the back side of your shield, or if they plow through one side of you to the other side with their momentum. Done like all the others, SH then hit neutral B. Big hitbox, high priority, and can be reversed by hitting right or left before you hit B (Similar to Falco's/Fox's Lasers). More on how to use this to your advantage in the Advanced Tech section.​

VIII. Approchal Techniques

One of Mewtwo's biggest cons, his approaching game is TERRIBLE. Here's the options you do have. Always keep in mind, your wavedash is faster than your run.

Wavedash & Down-tilt

Main approchal technique. Not much to say about it, just wavedash in and d-tilt. Segues in to aerial too easily. But if they CC or shield the d-tilt, be sure to grab them immediately, cause again, you will get punished. (Excuse the repetition, but it will happen)​

Not charged Shadowball chase

Already covered, but I'll say it again, chuck a non-charged shadowball, and chase it with you wavedash. Good for boxing in your opponent making him run out of options.​

Reverse ShadowBall Charge Cancel

Wavedash up to your opponent, then when you're close, dash, jump, flick backwards, and hit neutral B. Slightly difficult to punish, and it's not expected (or shouldn't be, cause your not spamming it right?) Why this is good later in advanced section, (it's coming up soon, chill!)​

Um... Don't...

Waiting is the best options in many occasions, like if your opponent has no projectiles, or is slow to throw them out, or is just plain slow. You can spam your shadowballs until your opponent gets the point that your not coming there, then possibly resort to shielding (followed by shielding tactics), or get your spacing with a wd, and d-tilt. Or you can interrupt their attack with one of your quick aerials. React/Adapt to your opponent's playing style/techniques, and make your own judgments to what your next move is.​

There are also other, more abstract, ways to approach, like teleporting and stuff, but they usually aren't the best idea due to punishable lag.

IX. Advanced Techniques

It's here, it's finally here! Okay, you should only read this section after you've done the following things.

• you've read/already know the above sections

Congratulations! You qualify! Let's continue.

The Shadow Ball Charge Cancel

This is great stuff. Literally, it means what it says. You hit 'L' while mewtwo is charging up his ShadowBall (nuetral B) and he stops charging it. It can be done frontwards, backwards, on the ground, in the air, over the ledge, where ever you want it. Newer Mewtwo'ers will solely stick to using this on the ground, while more advanced players will find uses for it in the air.

What it does

Whether your opponent runs into it, or you shove it in someone's face, it'll zap them, with very very little knockback. So little, you can combo with it by canceling the charge. And the Shadowball charge comes out so fast, you can even use it to combo with. AND, you can turn yourself around with it very quickly, while not losing your momentum.

With it's continuous, rapidly repeating attack frames, this attack is almost impossible to punish from it's business end if your opponent doesn't have a disjointed hitbox. But keep in mind, if you do connect with it, you only want to ping them a couple of times. Too many times will let your opponent know what's going on, letting him react to it. YOU NEED SURPRISE TO USE THIS EFFECTIVELY.​

When to whip it out

For an approchal

Simple to do, but careful, it can easily be read when you spam it, or have a lack of mindgames. Done by wavedashing or running towards your opponent, then as you come closer, short hop (to not lose your forward momentum), quickly flick the opposite direction on your control stick (to make the shadowball appear on the correct side), then finally, hit nuetral B, and start zapping their ***.

In short, it's performed exactly like doc's, mario's, luigi's, fox's, falco's, link's, y.link's, peach's, bowser's, IC's, G&W's, ness's, pikachu's, pichu's, sheik's, samus's, yoshi's, and zelda's REVERSE <insert projectile name here>. Same buttons, same timing, except some characters long jump, as opposed to shorthop (what you should do)

Now this may seem unimpressive and a slow approachal compared to others, but you're playing mewtwo, so be glad with what you've got.​

Turning around midair

Done exactly like approching with it, just for a different situation. Say that you want to bair your recovering opponent, but you're faced the wrong way. To solve that problem, simply flick the opposite direction you want to face, hit neutral B, and cancel it with L as soon as you can. It'll turn you around so you can plant that oh-so satisfing bair on your hapless opponent.​

Edge-Guarding

Seems to be a recently controversial tactic. As with all controversial issues, learn how to do it, apply it, and base your opinions on what you experienced with it........

Well, lemme re-phrase that, you don't have to experiment with ALL controversial issues, just the ones in smash..... you shouldn't have to experiment with something like gay marriage to know which side you stand on.

ANYWAY, using this as an edgeguard is most effective AFTER your opponent has already sweetspotted, it leaves your opponent with very few options to get back on stage, and if he/she is inexperienced playing against mewtwo, odds are they won't do the right thing and will get shocked as a result.

The most effective spacing I've found is to have the shadowball positioned so if you were to draw a line from the outside edge of the shadowball the the edge of the map, it would make a perfect vertical line. This spacing prevents you from getting hit by offensive Up B's, while still doing what it needs to do.​

As a combo link

Now here is some crazy advanced **** right here. Because of it's quick wind up animation, you can use this in the middle of a combo. Now, understand that this requires massive amounts of mewtwo prowess, only the higher echelons mewtwo'ers can do this and make it worthwhile.

Not much to say on it, since the only people who need to know about this tactic, are already good with mewtwo, and probably don't need to be reading my guide to begin with. All i can say, though, that this is the epiphany of all aerial combos, angel's will sing when you utilize the SBCC mid-combo; there is nothing most awesome than a upair --> upair --> reverse SBCC --> bair chaining on a Fastfaller FTW.​

Sizzle sizzle sizzle sizzle....

k, now that you got them, and they appear to be drowning in your charge, now what? We'll firstly you want to cancel it before they figure out what is going on and have a chance to get out of it. Then immediately after you cancel, perform one of the following things:
  • SBCC --> Grab (good for kill/comboing on Fastfallers)
  • SBCC --> D-tilt (combo starter)
  • SBCC --> Fair (combo starter)
  • SBCC --> U-tilt (combo starter)
  • SBCC --> Shadow Ball release (good for kill, use only if opponent DI's in front of you.)
Keep in mind that you have enough time to dashdance to turn around if you need to for all these attacks 'cept the last one. But do you see how this is yet another move that combos into his other combo starters? It's very useful, application in your regular games shouldn't be hard, just remember to surprise them with it.

You can see earlier blurbs about what to do after you've grabbed or d-tilted, etc.​

SHBAWD'ing

SHBAWD stands for Short hopped backwards aerial wave dash. Really used effectively with doc, but mewtwo can shbawd as well. To perform, do a short hop, then immediately after you jump, throw out a bair, your animation should end leaving you just enough time to waveland.

This is FAR from as effective as doc mario's, since mewtwo's is slower, and his bair isn't as good. Think of this is a more efficient way to bair, rather than just a whole different advanced tech.

What this does is give your mewtwo more mobility, and it makes punishing your bair harder. If you hit them with a SHBAWD, you can attempt to chain the sweetspots to push them off the stage, then eventually, chain bairs till they've died.​

The DJC

Another great technique, the DJC stands for Double Jump Cancel. Do it by performing a double jump first, then immediately using an aerial. It will cancel your second jump, and make it so you are now descending, rather than ascending. It can be used for two different reasons: for positioning purposes, and for doing a "faster shuffl" (known as Instant DJC). The first is pretty self explainitory, and useful in situations like bair chaining, or chaining fairs, it'll can give you a slight upward boost, or horizontal, depending on which you want. You'll be using the DJC on a more sub conscious level, that is to say, you won't be realizing when you're doing the DJC for positioning purposes, you'll just do it naturally.​

The Instant Double Jump Cancel

Relatively easy to perform. How you do it, first you jump off of the ground, then you immediately double jump, then you immediately do an aerial attack, then immediately L cancel. Remember those old-school fighting games like killer instinct and the first mortal kombats? And the timing for the fatalities was just "as fast as you possibly can"? We'll it's the same idea here. You just want to hit jump, jump, aerial, L cancel really really quick in succession.

The only downside to this tech is application. The best aerial to do this with is the fair but it doesn't really fit anywhere. You could perform it as a combo piece, but you could easily just shuffl a fair, or long-jump two fairs. The only solid way I've found you can do is out of a shield. You can also use the bair with it instead, for a quick, kind of "last resort" edge guarding effort, but other than those two senerios, your not going to use this technique that much.

X. Ways to KO

Ordered from best option to worst option. If it's not on here, it's probably not a conventional way to kill. Keep in mind, this is for on stage kills, not edgeguarding kills (the reason why d-smash/f-smash/bair's aren't on here).

Grabs

Probably the easiest way to kill any character with mewtwo, because grabbing with mewtwo is easy. On floaties and medium falling speed character, go for an upthrow at high percentages. On fast fallers below 140%, go for a back throw and then proceed to edgeguard afterwards, it sends them in a very good trajectory to follow up with a bair or two. But, if they're any higher than that, just kill them with an upthrow, as there is less your opponent can do to survive it.​

Fully Charged Shadow Ball

Only reason that this is below grabs is because you always have your grabs, but you don't always have a fully charged shadowball. This kills at the lowest percents, usually around 75%-80% ish. But because of it's slower than average travel rate, you gotta be sneaky with this. Fire it off when they're not expecting it, and always chase it in case it doesn't work as planned. Even if you don't hit them with it, hopefully you caught them enough off guard that they will have the shield/spotdodge/roll to avoid getting hit, giving you a free shot with a grab or fair.​

Fair

Kills almost all characters at an equal or higher percent than the upthrow does (exceptions are pichu, Game and Watch, and the space animals I think). This is your third best kill, comes out fast, can shield pierce small shields, and it's in the air. Complements the Upthrow very nicely, as it kills in the air, and is about as easy to connect with due to it's low windup lag.​

Up Smash

Be cautious when you go for an up smash, as it is easily punished if you miss. Only use this if it fits perfectly. The final knockback of this sends your opponent with an equal force of the fair, but isn't as easy to connect, and isn't spamable. However, it is good for poking at when your on a stage with platforms, it reaches up high enough and is unexpected usually. Keep in mind that the upsmash is a big step down from the fair, it's a rare occasion when it's as good of a way/better to kill with.​

The Up Air?

Yeah, it can kill. If you sweetspot it at very high percentages, it'll send your opponent flying. It's big range and speed make it a good option, but your opponent has to be severly heavily damaged in order to push him far enough to kill, and if it doesn't, don't forget about edgeguarding. It becomes a slightly more legit when you consider that at that high of a percent, it's on the only thing that can be used after a d-tilt.​

The More Common Character Matchups

I'm only gonna go through the most common matchup you'll find at a tourney. Cause, well, A) I don't wanna do all of em, or even most of em, and B) I doubt I'll help many people by telling you how to beat a pichu.

Fox

Why you should lose

• He is faster (ground speed and attack speed)
  • His upsmash/upair/upthrow kill you at very very low %'s
  • He can chain his aerials on you with ease
  • Kills are an issue against him
Necessities to win
  • Fastfaller Combos
  • SBCC
  • Edgeguard
Elaborated Strategy

Even though ur comboing game is better, fox's speed and low vertical kills beat you out most the time. Upthrow at low percentages (>30% ish) is a great way to start off combos, as they can be followed up by an aerial. SBCC is another good combo starter because his fastfall puts him in a great place for a fair, d-tilt, or grab. Be aggressive this should be a very fast paced match and you've got to keep up. In order to beat a fox, you've got to have a really good comboing game to rack up damage, then you've got to quickly punch in a kill with effective edgeguarding/hogging. Do this by chaining bairs, smashing, and the occasional nair (which works on him better than most). Knocking him off the stage and edgeguarding is the only reasonable percentage kills you can get on him, otherwise your fair and upthrow do the job at 135% ish. And be cautious when you attempt a kill with the shadowball, he can shine it.​

Falco

Why you should lose
  • Laser's are a BEEATCH
  • He attacks and kills have very low lag
  • Pillaring makes shield grabbing very difficult
  • Shine Combos
  • Lasers really get ya

Necessities to win
  • Edgeguard (Falco's recovery = ballz)
  • Fastfaller Combos
  • SBCC

Elaborated Strategy

Comboing and kills are roughly the same as fox, only difference is that falco is easier to edgeguard since he can't make it very far. The main thing that you've got to find a way to deal with is SHL's, it's very tough to approach a laser spamming falco. Best options I've found is to try and powershield them and wd, or teleport. Hopefully your opponent won't be smart and he'll approach you while SHL'ing, and then hopefully you'll be able to get a combo in. The nair edgeguard works best against falco. And learn to edgetech, it's very useful.​

Sheik

Why you should lose
  • Tilts eat you alive
  • Not sure, but i think she can CG you
  • Needles
  • Her uair kills you at lower than usual %'s

Necessities to win
  • Unpredictable Approaches
  • Tech-chasing
  • D-tilt combos

Elaborated Strategy

Needles are probably the second most annoying projectile in the game (next to falco's lasers). You MUST find a way arount them or you will not win. Be inventive though, because if you are predictable in your approchal methods, you will eat 18% of needles followed by tilts up the A. Speaking of tilts, as soon as you get hit by one of them, you should immediatly DI away, and mash the fair with the C-stick to try and interrupt them. Sheik is an easier character to tech-chase, usually DI away and tech away, in which you chase them and punish, or she will miss the DI, where you can d-tilt, then grab again. The SBCC seems to work slightly better than her on most characters, but use discretion, cause it's not as solid as the fastfallers. Her upair kills you, not much you can do in most situations cept try to airdodge though. Regardless of this, she's is still one of my favorite opponents for some reason.​

Here's dguy's take:

1. Needles can be a bit of a bother, but they really are not that big of a deal. Most needle shots can be very easily predicted. I am assuming you have problems avoiding the random single ones and not the fully charged set. A Sheik will in all probability be throwing needles at you when she believes you are trying to approach, or to stop you from approaching. If that is the case, short hop teleport will work wonders for getting on top of a Sheik that is throwing needles. If you time it just right, you can hit her before she is able to hit you back. (When I short hop teleport to get to someone, I usually follow with either an ftilt or a dtilt as both of those moves are very quick and have the range to hit the enemy even if I do not land immediately next to them.) Even if you are a bit slow, you can crouch cancel and usually still hit her. Also, during the fight, spam your own shadow balls. Mix it up a bit by doing short hop shadow ball as well, to change the elevation of the attack slightly. The sheik will usually either throw her own needles at you, trying to pop them, or she will try to do one of the various methods of avoiding them. Plenty of the time, the Sheik will throw a needle and it will go past the shadow ball instead of hitting it; this is where you shield to take no damage and the Sheik gets hit. A small shadow ball does not look like a serious threat to anyone. A lot of the time, they will spend very little effort avoiding them and consequently, you will hit them a lot.

2. Grabs are a bit trickier. Sheik will down throw you nearly every time. There are several methods for fighting this. If the Sheik is trying to chain grab you at low percent, do not DI. Simply get in the air and mash the A button until you get a neutral air out. You should get out of a chain grab right after the second grab every time. This only works at low percentages. If the Sheik is trying a grab combo, then it gets much trickier. To me, her up air is by far her most dangerous aerial. Many people do everything they can to avoid her fair, but with M2, I would rather take a fair than an uair if given the choice. If she throws you, you DI the way she is facing to receive a fair, you DI behind her to either receive a bair or an uair. The best scenario possible is being hit by the bair, but they won’t do it too much once they realize they can usually hit you with an uair. The best thing to do to beat grabs is to make her miss her grab and punish. Try and predict when she will grab you can just dtilt her when she runs at you. Wave dash back to attack sometimes works, but a good Sheik will keep running once you wave dashed back and still grab you. (Spot dodge is not a valid grab avoiding technique with Mewtwo.)

3. Tilts are the easiest. Many may disagree, but Mewtwo’s Tilts = Sheik’s tilts when fighting 1on1 with each other. You can counter her tilts with your own with a great deal of effectiveness. If you are both spamming down tilt, Sheik will lose her footing before Mewtwo does. Sheik’s ftilt is a bit tricky, but you should counter it by doing your own ftilt, do your own before she does hers when possible.

4. For up air, I just recommend not attacking Sheik from above when possible. Use your teleport intelligently to get back to the ground when you are high up and without a jump. It is all mind games here, as the Sheik is going to try and predict what you are going to do. If you accidentally land straight on the ground without the lag being cancelled, you are inviting the Sheik to come and punish, so it is a little tricky.

Hope this helps a bit.
Marth

Why you should lose
  • Out ranges you
  • Out prioritizes you
  • Out grabs you
  • Out edgeguards you
  • Out everythings you

Necessities to win
  • Techchasing
  • Baby Shadowballs
  • Edgeguarding prowess
  • uhm........
  • threats?

It's very simple, you lose this match up. One of the most blatent counters in the game. If you want to win, don't use mewtwo, if you decide to just go through with it, you've got to be several echelons of skill above your opponent to win legitimately. You have to throw baby shadowballs to approach or you'll get intercepted with ease. Once ur in, grabs, tech chasing, and d-tilts will be the bulk of your damage, possible an uair. To kill him, back throw to good edgeguard with bairs like a fiend. Smashing for the edgeguard shouldn't work, as his upB should hit you before you get it off when he sweetspots.​

Peach

Why you should lose
  • Turnip spam
  • D-smash Spam
  • Your combo game is severly limited

No idea on the rest, i don't play peachs at all where im at. Here's Taj's take on it.

Peach for Mewtwo needs to be a long match for any hope of winning. Basically, Peach is completely covered in approach, has a better projectile, and priority. Some Peach players like Forward air on your shield or spaced to stop approaches, followed with either jabs, grabs, down smash or a retreat.

Call and chase the retreats with grabs at low % and tilts at higher %, and you might be able to forward air out of shield the down smash if it didn't eat under your hard shield. If the forward air hits your shield, you're fine, Peach can't follow up because Mewtwo slides. If it pushes you to the edge, then slowly plan out how you're going to get back on the stage and avoid stupid hits. Basically try not to take unnecessary damage, as everything counts for both people in this match. Peach dies early off of the top except on DL64, and Mewtwo has to die from forward air, neutral air, forward throw and other moves at moderately higher percentages.

If you get Peach off of the stage, and she's at an altitude where you can back air, be patient and wait for a good one to throw and force an air dodge, chase a neutral air and keep chasing until you see she can neutral air you. If she's above you, chase with up air if possible, force Peach to throw her float and double jump cards and keep yourself in a position where you can make something happen.

On the stage, catch projectiles if possible, though her throws are better, if there is a lot of distance, then just back up and baby shadow ball spam hoping for an opening. If Peach wants to be a *****, then you gotta choke her like one. If you're down in percentage, then you gotta turnip/shadow ball approach get grabs/down tilt forward air combos and just slowly rack up the damage for the throw KO. Throw her off the stage and see if you can get some cheap kills with back airs and edge hogs, otherwise take it for the easy % if possible.

A little abstract, but unfortunately, all you can really do is out play the Peach and capitalize on what she gives you. :(
Captain Falcon

Why you should lose
  • He's really really fast
  • The knee kills you at really low percent
  • A single nair at 0% can lead to death
  • same goes for upair
  • ...and dair
  • .....and getting grabbed at zero can do the same

Necessities to win
  • Fastfaller combos
  • Edgeguarding
  • DI
  • Tech-chasing

Elaborated Strategy

This is another super fast paced match, and again, you need to keep up. Usually, against the good C.falcons, you should let him approach you. Throw baby shadowballs to bait him to attack. Be sure that you keep moving though, if you stay in the same place, you're making it too easy for the C.falcon to get good spacing. Good spacing = no shield tactics can apply. No sheild grab, no SH fair, and the others are too slow to help you. If you do get nicked with anything, know that it can probably lead to a combo which ultimatly kills you. DI/tech smart to make it difficult for him.

Make sure your fastfaller combos are solid, you window of oppertunity is a small one, don't **** it up. As for kills, back throw to edgeguard works very well on him, since his up B is lame. Edgegaurding can either be a d-smash or bair, if you pick the D-smash, expect him to wall tech, it doesn't hurt, and doing the opposite can give him another chance to live. This is one of my fav matchups though, because it's so fast paced.​

FIN!

Please, don't be an *** and copy this, ask me if you want, I'll most likely agree. But if you plagiarize my guide, and it's brought to my attention one way or another, don't think i'll just turn the other cheek.

And I'm open to any suggestions to the guide, just don't make me eat my words. Feel free to PM me or just post here about it.

Other methods of contact are: AIM = DennyPaul or email = DennyPaul3@comcast.net. I don't check my email often, so use the other ways preferrably instead.

quak

Smash Champion
Im trying to make it the easiest to take in/read. Tips/Pointers greatly appreciated, and if you have some arguments you'd like to add to either side of the 'controversial moves' feel free post, and i'll be glad to add if they're valid.

quak

Smash Champion
frankly, the one we have stickied isnt so great =/
it has artificial terms and elaborated english.

good work, keep working at it. =]

on side:
would u like to make reference to my combo guide?
i will, or i'll make another thread for the important mewtwo threads like all other charactor forums have and include it there. Maybe do some editing though, alot of those combos are situational.

but yeah, i'll link it someway or another,

of all people, i'd be sure you had something to say in defence of confusion or disable... nothing?

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
Hm... what would be a good idea is to create an amateur guide for new Mewtwo players or unfamiliar smashers, and create an advanced guide that help document Mewtwo at his prime.

quak

Smash Champion
im trying to do both, i might get around to getting to the advanced tactics, sheild tactic, and more sections today, but no garentees.

Edit: K, back from lunch, i'll get to the guide for like a half hour. (In n Out FTW!)

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Don't forget adding shorthop teleport as a quick way to lessen the Teleport lag. Ninja cookies, ninja cookies.

quak

Smash Champion
SH has nothing to do with the landing lag, i explained it when i went throught the Special B moves. And uh, super ultra ninja cookies is a different tactic.....

quak

Smash Champion
I know, but advanced users can just skim through the attacks and go straight to ledgegame and adv tactics etc (well when it's up).

It's a good idea, but it just easier to make it all one of em, and we know that the newbies will read the advanced guide before they (if they) read the basics cause they're pros like that.:p

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Ninja cookies is irrevelant to the actual point of my message, so sorry about that >.>

SH ing the teleport means you (hopefully) won't directly teleport onto the ground which results in more lag than teleporting to the air right above the ground which has less lag when landing... right? >.<

quak

Smash Champion
yeah, or you can just teleport from the ground, almost all horizontally but slightly up, and fastfall immediately after, saves a step.

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
i think that and no offense to taj... we should definatly point out what is possible with m2. If you are playing a good opponent you will not Dtilt them across FD or get a quad slap on a flaco. I think that it would be a cool idea if you would include some videos in the guide. Airo has some awsome WD and ledge stuff that would definatly add to the guide. idk if there are other M2 vids out there that could "teach" or show something to begginers they might find it helpfull idk.

quak

Smash Champion
i thought about that, but it'd eat up alotta time, and one of the main reasons im doing this guide is cause i need to kill some time at school and thought i might as well add the the mewtwo renaissance.

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
quak i don't get it.... you have a lot of time at school yet you don't what some of the videos to eat up time?? im confuzed. with or withought the video you M2 guide is far superior to anything out on the web. So it's your choice to what should/shoudn't be in it. I just thought that it might be helpfull. sorry about the confusion.

quak

Smash Champion
nah man, i'd have to record and edit the video's at home. Cause well, bringing a tv, a gc, and my comp with the tv tuner to school can't happen. I might do it, but not just yet, maybe when i have lots of time over the weekend, but as it is now, my weekends are usually full.

And thanks, i appreciate it.

technomancer

Smash Champion
(on the downsmash for edgeguarding)
Simple to do, and you look sav doing it. High knockback almost always kills, if done right, opponent has no chance to wall-jump-tech. Good against most recoveries, terrible against others, i won't list them, the differences are obvious.
This is incorrect, the oppoent can always tech the move if they smash DI towards the stage, and I'm pretty sure they can always tech if they just use C-stick or normal DI as well.

Very good stuff so far though :)

quak

Smash Champion
(on the downsmash for edgeguarding)

This is incorrect, the oppoent can always tech the move if they smash DI towards the stage, and I'm pretty sure they can always tech if they just use C-stick or normal DI as well.

Very good stuff so far though :)
If you nail them far enough away from the stage, they have no chance of it.

But if you are close to the stage, and your opponent is between the blast and the stage, then (if im not mistaken) he can proceed to smash DI and wall jump tech. I'm fairly sure that no matter where you hit them with your D-smash, it sends them in the same trajectory.

I'll change it though, because the way i said it was wrong, thanks for keeping your eyes peeled.

EDIT: done, check it out, see if it's worded okay now

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
haha sry quak.. ive been lazy. ill read it now for critic's sake
ive been busy reading manga <3

edit:
sigh here i go.

-----------------

edguarding.. mewtwo has many options edgeguarding

utilt, dtilt, ftilt are also great options

against sweet spotters, dtilt brings them up a little, follow with a ftilt. This is great because it hits them horizontally and downwards. in oppose to dsmash, which hits them diagonally upwards.

so in conclusion, dsmash should be used when opponents have high damage, and dtilt to ftilt should be used on characters at lower percentages.

against characters like marth. if you edgehog, during their recovery, they will do their best not to sweetspot, since you already stole his ledge. just before he uses his UpB, tap up to return to stage, then space yourself back alittlebit, and ftilt when he lands. since marth has such a horrible horizontal recovery, he has no chance of recovering.

on characters that sweetspots, at higher percentages, dtilt to fair or upthrow are also great ways to kill them.

uptilt is really nice on a fox using his firefox horizontally. you will need to learn to predict to use this. this is a weird choice in comparison to grab and bthrow, but i know that some mewtwo players make good use of this.

---------------

disable.

disable, quoting from forward, is a great counter for "walk up and attack" strategies used on mewtwo.

players that dont spam aerials and approach by ground are countered by disable.

---------------

you can also write a section on mewtwo in team play, since mewtwo has two different grab infinites with his partner. =] too awesome.

--------------

fsmash has a much nicer horizontal knockback than dsmash. hence on occasion, use this on a mid percentage firefox and he is doomed, while dsmash brings him up a little which helps him in his recovery.

i believe fsmash comes out a 1 frame faster than dsmash. but has like a 20 frame slower cool down =.=

so use experience to provide yourself keen judgement on which smash to use.

also, fsmash cant be teched, but dsmash can.

---------------

and.... good personal voice =]
keep working on it.

btw. i have a tourney next week, i can most likely finally get matches recorded.

--------------

edit: 2

i would also suggest a table of contents, outlining the various sections you have.
"how to KO section", "general approach strategies", " would also be needed.

---------------

also. mewtwo's jab, if you can land it, connects to dtilt/uptilt/ftilt smoothly. this is not neccessary to add into the guide, its just fun to know.

---------------

edit: 3 =.=

a good strategy to edgehog is to stand right by the edge. depending on what your opponent does, you have the option of

1) run off and SUNC
2) wavedash back to provide yourself space and use fsmash, ftilt, dsmash and whatnot.

quak

Smash Champion
good tippers dude, i was going to add a table of contents, but it seems logical that i finish it first.

I'm not sure if i agree with your ideas with the tilts for edgegaurding, but if you'd like, you can write it out more formally, and i'll copy and paste it into the guide where it belongs.

As for disable, i wouldn't use 'counter' persay, but i'd say it'd be more effective, again, i can't make the attack work for me at all, so if you'd like to type out your opinions and either PM or post them here, i'll add them and credit you for em.

And i'll definitely add a "how to KO section" as well as one on approchals, good ideas, didn't think of em. TY

As for "edit: 3 =.=" i'll put that in right now

Right on guys, keep the suggestions coming.

EDIT: in addition to "edit 3" i added some stuff you said about the d-smash and f-smash

EDIT AGAIN: I have virtually no experiance in 2v2, i know how the infinates work. However, since i don't play 2v2, i thought i'd avoid saying anything about it.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
F throw is fun to use in 2v2 >.> Hope that you fire all your shadow balls and hit something... I like it on Dreamland 64 >.>

On ledge game : "Hit A, X, or L" or forward.

Note how WD > Dtilt is the most commonly used Mewtwo approach. I think.

quak

Smash Champion
not doing 2 v 2's

forward on the ledge is a bad idea, since it's about the same amount of lag, and you just stand there, waiting to take a hit.

first sentence of wd'ing and downtilt gets the just of it.

but uh, thanks anyway

Lenn

Smash Rookie
This is a great guide you made, my comboin' is a bit sloppy not as nearly as great as some of the videos I've seen at these forums so far.

odds are you came to this dark corner of the forums to '**** around' with mewtwo. .
I main the guy, I would never in my wildest dreams think to "**** around" with Mewtwo.

Hahahah, noobin' it up with my 1 post.

quak

Smash Champion
hmm, possibly, but since i define all the terms that i bring up durring the guide, maybe it'd fit better at the end, like a glossary.

Good suggestion, i might do it, but i'll finish the guide first either way.

Airo

Smash Lord
hey.........

quak said:
Defensive EdgePlay

1. Avoid Grabbing the ledge - Mewtwo can't ledgehop well and you have a lot less options and mobility on the ledge than in the air. His recovery is good enough that you shouldn't have to grab the ledge in most occasions.
sry this is definately not true.

mewtwo, when recovering, has MANY MANY options, and avoiding the ledge is certianly not one of them.

i guess i would make more sense if i outline mewtwo's metagame for recovery.

-----------------------

the key to selecting the proper option for recovering is your opponents spacing from the edge.

if he is really close to the edge, use these options:
make use of your secondjump to reach as high as you can and from there you can
-----simply land
-----teleport to land on stage.
fall below the stage, use your second jump and rising aerial.
-----rising fair
-----rising uair
-----rising nair

once they catch on, they try to space themselves away from the ledge, such that you wont be able to punish them with your rising aerials. at this point, you MUST sweetspot your teleport and grab the ledge, because their spacing is appropriate to punish any means of you have to return to stage. restraining from grabbing the ledge is simply restricting yourself of options and adding to your predictability. on top, mewtwo has no sexkick or other factors that help him defend against enemies aerials. against a fox, you are setting yourself up for an upair. grabbing the ledge simply opens mewtwo to many more possibilities.

if their spacing is midranged, use:
-----use ledge attack by pressing A
-----ledgehop back and horizontl teleport back to stage
-----confusion (free damage, practically.... and you still have your second jump and teleport to lead you to safety)

however, their spacing distances are usually really far away from the ledge. to guard themselves from your rising aerials. if you resume using rising aerials from second jump, you will either get shield grabbed, or eat a charged up smashed. from this point, your best options would be to either

1) reach behind him with:
-----roll back on stage
-----ledgehop back and horizontl teleport back to stage

or
2) get back on stage in front of him.
-----let go and air dodge diagonally upwards back to stage
-----tap up
-----ledgehop upwards and diagonally teleport downwards to land on stage.
-----ledgecanceled teleport to stage. (takes practice, but awesome)

for more advance mindgames, other stalls are also usable such as
-----ledgehop shadowball to ledgegrab
-----let go and airdodge diagonally backwards then regrab stage
-----ledgehop back and teleport sweetspot back to ledgegrab
-----let go and teleport horizontally and grab ledge.

quak

Smash Champion
would it be okay if i copied and pasted this? and i'll add it to the edgegaurding section? it'll give more perspectives/opinions to newbies out there who can't make their own. :p

quak

Smash Champion
right on, firefox underlines em like word does. That's why my guide only has 700 errors as opposed to 7.64 x 10^16.

**** you guys, scientific notation is efficient.

marthsword

Smash Ace
Great guide. The other guide is never updated, and wasn't really a guide. Just some M2 techs. Be sure to include cats claw counter. JC shield > DI forward out of shield > fair it increases rang greatly. And M2 has a lot of ledge options. His ledge hop is very good.

quak

Smash Champion
hey man, im not gonna lie, mewtwo gets frustrating sometimes. But when you win, it feels so much better.

Why my main is Falco, not mewtwo, i like to win :p

Airo

Smash Lord
every character has its high and complex advance metagame..

lots of guides out there are just absolutely useless since it doesnt even relate to the character's metagame.

dont look at this guide and think that mewtwo is complicated, this is really what guides are suppose to look like =]

in truth though, mewtwo IS officially considered to be played at the highest level of metagame. but its not that far off from other characters.

on side:
and please dont include "cat claws counter" thats just a terrible name that i dano who came up with it. normal people call it shorthop fair out of shield...

Top Bottom