• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Alright, you grew on me, come in" thread; Pittoo edition

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
It's easy to hate a character at first, but sometimes it doesn't really last.

Anyone else who was absolutely livid at first accepting of him later?

For me, it was when I saw that he actually did have different weapons than Pit, so he has the benefit of having a visually distinct moveset. Someone told me he had the same weapons as Pit before, that turned out to be a lie - I couldn't imagine him having the Palutena Bow and Upoerdash Arm, so when he turned out to have the Silver Bow and Electro Arm, that was good. That was enough for me to forgive his inclusion.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I went from indifferent to being pretty interesting in trying out after hearing more about him. Does that count?

3DSplayer

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArcanineTrainer
At first, I disliked Dark Pit's inclusion. Not for Dark Pit as a character, but as a clone of a series I thought didn't need more representation. However, the more footage I saw of him, he did grow on me. I really like the Electroshock Arm compared to Pit's upper dash arm, so I didn't mind him being in after that. I guess this situation is sort of like Roy, in the way that he is a clone, but with different elemental attributes.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I've always liked the idea of Dark Pit, but I thought that he'd take backseat to my Brawl main Pit...

But boy was I wrong. I find myself loving every moment using Dark Pit (although the improved Electroshock Arm could be part of the reason) and struggling to use Pit as effectively. While I loved Dark Pit in KI:U, I didn't expect to enjoy him as much as I am in Smash Bros.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Im halfway there. The alt colors making him more tanned make him look cooler. I only need to play him myself to feel how different from Pit he is.

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
I honestly think a lot of people wont come around to him but then again the Lucina hate calmed down after a while

Maikou

Smash Ace
At first, I was bloody RAGING. I wanted to tear down Sakurai's door slam my complaint in his face and hold a sword to neck for making Dark Pit a clone and wasting the potential he had. However, now that I've seen footage of him using his specials and Final Smash, I've calmed down and I'm decently okay with what he turned out like. I'm still upset that the potential for two or three Polearm wielders was not taken advantage of, but having Dark Pit as he is is still better than Falco to Fox in Melee. Then again, I prefer the faster, lighter characters, so I might not play Dark Pit as often as I might like.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
[...] but having Dark Pit as he is is still better than Falco to Fox in Melee.
Exactly what I was thinking. I'm always willing to give a visually distinct clone a chance, because he's more unique from his source than Falco. He's about Roy's level.

Also why I was pissed at P:M re-cloning Falco.

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
Exactly what I was thinking. I'm always willing to give a visually distinct clone a chance, because he's more unique from his source than Falco. He's about Roy's level.

Also why I was pissed at P:M re-cloning Falco.
Ah, yes. I have now played Project M and while I do like some of the changes, what they did to Falco definitely ticked me off. Almost as much as what they did to Lucario. Seriously, what does that down-B even DO? It's definitely not a counter and it's definitely not for recovery. And just what was wrong with Brawl Falco kicking his Reflector for an attack? it certainly made him more unique to Fox, at the very least, and it was still a reflector, so why did they change it?

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
I don't mind clones so Dark Pit didn't really bother me. I wasn't expecting to use him but now I'm a little interested in how different he'll be from Pit gameplay wise.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Ah, yes. I have now played Project M and while I do like some of the changes, what they did to Falco definitely ticked me off. Almost as much as what they did to Lucario. Seriously, what does that down-B even DO? It's definitely not a counter and it's definitely not for recovery. And just what was wrong with Brawl Falco kicking his Reflector for an attack? it certainly made him more unique to Fox, at the very least, and it was still a reflector, so why did they change it?
I can understand the reflector. Melee Falco was much more combo-oriented than Fox, and the Reflector was one of his best tools for that, so I can understand Falco mains being upset about it missing. I don't say I particularly like it, but out of the reversions made to him, it's the one I understand the most and mind the least.

Last edited:

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Is it weird that the name of the social thread is the exact thing I'm hearing about Dark Pit?

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
Meh I like him as a character but is not needed to be a clone and the fact that he got in over wolf

♦ Neosquid ♦

Smash Apprentice
No way in hell does Kid Icarus deserve three characters, but I like Pittoo and I'm okay enough with him being thrown in due to being easier to make, he didn't necessarily take anyone's spot. Initially I was somewhat upset about it, but not as much as I was about Duck Hunt and Dr. Mario.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
"Deserve" is becoming such an awfully overused word as of late. When some people say it, it basically becomes interchangeable with "Character shouldn't be in because I don't like him/her"

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
This thread should be titled: "Alright, I realized that Pittoo is probably the real Pit."

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
Meh I like him as a character but is not needed to be a clone and the fact that he got in over wolf
But he didn't get in over Wolf. Thats not how the roster works. if Dark Pit wasn't in the game Wolf still wouldn't have made it. Clones don't take away from the roster they just increase its size. You take away the clones and you get nothing in their place.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
But he didn't get in over Wolf. Thats not how the roster works. if Dark Pit wasn't in the game Wolf still wouldn't have made it. Clones don't take away from the roster they just increase its size. You take away the clones and you get nothing in their place.
I didn't mean he literally took his spot it's the fact he is in the game and wolf is not

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
When I saw him in the Palutena reveal I was thinking to myself "no way they didnt add him" later being confused but I dont mind him anymore. Kind wish he had his own moveset but eh.

I mean its easy to throw in clone characters. I think of the clones more of a bonus. Plus his theme is in the game now and its my favorite Kid Icarus song.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I'm going to take him online and see how much people emote their disgust towards me through gameplay. Just to, you know, have fun.

I didn't hate him initially, I thought of it like, it's so silly that he's in that it's the reverse of bad. He's just an extra to begin with but it's like, sure, I'll take it. Why not? Should make online "fun"

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I'll admit I thought him being playable was sort of a strange mode because ya know this isn't a case like Lucina who actually originated from a recent game or Dr. Mario who at least was a separate character in his very first Smash appearence in Melee no, Dark Pit literally originated as an alternate color for Pit in Brawl with a few other color differences so he could've very easily have been a costume for Pit with his own lines.

However one thing that we all gotta come to the realizaion to is that Smash will always have clones, no, fighting games in general will always have clones except for a select few and from what I hear and see on streams Dark Pit does have some legitimate move set differences from Pit, even though it's the typical "This guy is stronger than this guy but he lacks speed as a trade off."

Maikou

Smash Ace
I'll admit I thought him being playable was sort of a strange mode because ya know this isn't a case like Lucina who actually originated from a recent game or Dr. Mario who at least was a separate character in his very first Smash appearence in Melee no, Dark Pit literally originated as an alternate color for Pit in Brawl with a few other color differences so he could've very easily have been a costume for Pit with his own lines.

However one thing that we all gotta come to the realizaion to is that Smash will always have clones, no, fighting games in general will always have clones except for a select few and from what I hear and see on streams Dark Pit does have some legitimate move set differences from Pit, even though it's the typical "This guy is stronger than this guy but he lacks speed as a trade off."
Actually, Pit's darker alternate in Brawl wasn't quite Dark Pit. The laurel crown was black, everything brown and gold was silver/white and the rest was black, while his eyes remained blue and his Palutena Bow was completely unchanged, technically meaning that it was still Pit himself.

If you truly want to get technical, Dark Pit originated in Kid Icarus Uprising. plus, Pit's black alt is unchanged from Brawl besides the wings. It may be true that the idea of Dark Pit originated from Brawl, but the actual character debuted in the most recent game of the franchise.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Actually, Pit's darker alternate in Brawl wasn't quite Dark Pit. The laurel crown was black, everything brown and gold was silver/white and the rest was black, while his eyes remained blue and his Palutena Bow was completely unchanged, technically meaning that it was still Pit himself.

If you truly want to get technical, Dark Pit originated in Kid Icarus Uprising. plus, Pit's black alt is unchanged from Brawl besides the wings. It may be true that the idea of Dark Pit originated from Brawl, but the actual character debuted in the most recent game of the franchise.
That's why I brought up the minor color changes though, Dark Pit in KIU is very clearly the Brawl color with a few color alterations, Sakurai loves to reuse ideas from his other games, look at KIU's main menu, it's just like Brawl's, look at the checklist/achievement type menu, it's exactly like the one in Kirby Air Ride, all that said I'm pretty sure the concept of Dark Pit for KIU came from that color in Brawl and the reason they changed some colors is to differentiate the Brawl color and the actual character, that's just how I see it.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
I'm a big fan of Dark Pit, and have been even before he showed up in Palutena's trailer (to me, that was confirmation that he was going to be an alt with his own voice at the very least.) It wouldn't make sense for him to not at least have his own personality, and the final smash wouldn't have made sense either.

I'm genuinely very glad he's in the game. His character explored some interesting themes in Uprising and he's interesting enough to warrant the 2 hours max it would've taken to implement him.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
I want to.
I really, really, really want to.

But I can't bring myself to.
God, how I haaaaaate him.
Mario and Mario wearing Doctor's clothes are more different then Dark Pit and Pit.
Sakurai is definetely showing lot's of bias with this. We have more KI reps then KI games. [well, there's the Gameboy one that hardly anybody cares about.]
I want to like him. I really do.
But I can't.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I wish I could say that.

Sorry, but he's literally the only disappointment I have with the whole game.

I'm usually not one to want characters cut in the next game, but Dark Pit is an exception to my rule.

ObsidianFH

Smash Rookie
That's why I brought up the minor color changes though, Dark Pit in KIU is very clearly the Brawl color with a few color alterations, Sakurai loves to reuse ideas from his other games, look at KIU's main menu, it's just like Brawl's, look at the checklist/achievement type menu, it's exactly like the one in Kirby Air Ride, all that said I'm pretty sure the concept of Dark Pit for KIU came from that color in Brawl and the reason they changed some colors is to differentiate the Brawl color and the actual character, that's just how I see it.
I'm pretty sure you're mixing up reusing and inspiration. The black costume was made simply because it might appeal to some gamers. Sakurai was inspired later on to create a character from that costume.

People have been saying that Dark Pit originated in Brawl. That's false, because while his look came from there, the more important aspect, his character and personality, originated from KI:U.

DoubleDeeEddBoy

Smash Cadet
NNID
DoubleDeeEddBoy
3DS FC
0834-0608-8884
I was a bit bitter at first, as all they pretty much have to do was recolor Pit, give him angrier facial expressions (including the derp face he uses when Screen KO'd), etc. But now I'm starting to warm up to him. I kinda expected Saukurai to put him in, but I'm surprised he made him a clone, which makes sense canon wise, but can tick off a lot of people in Smash.

That said, since being a Sakurai character gives him very little chance of being cut from any future Smash games (though it can still be possible), I kinda want a different moveset (I was hoping his Up special was like Pit's Brawl Up Special to reference the fact that Pandora's powers gives him infinite power of flight, bu to quote Pit, "Darn you, balanced game play!"). In other words, I kinda want Pitoo to be a Luigified clone in future Smash games.

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
I was a bit bitter at first, as all they pretty much have to do was recolor Pit, give him angrier facial expressions (including the derp face he uses when Screen KO'd), etc. But now I'm starting to warm up to him. I kinda expected Saukurai to put him in, but I'm surprised he made him a clone, which makes sense canon wise, but can tick off a lot of people in Smash.

That said, since being a Sakurai character gives him very little chance of being cut from any future Smash games (though it can still be possible), I kinda want a different moveset (I was hoping his Up special was like Pit's Brawl Up Special to reference the fact that Pandora's powers gives him infinite power of flight, bu to quote Pit, "Darn you, balanced game play!"). In other words, I kinda want Pitoo to be a Luigified clone in future Smash games.
Yeah, I'm hoping for Luigification in future Smash games as well.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure you're mixing up reusing and inspiration. The black costume was made simply because it might appeal to some gamers. Sakurai was inspired later on to create a character from that costume.

People have been saying that Dark Pit originated in Brawl. That's false, because while his look came from there, the more important aspect, his character and personality, originated from KI:U.
On a technicality yes that's true, but like you said, it pretty much started with the color in Brawl, I got nothing against his character,in fact I'll probably use him in Smash 4 but the idea that this character's design and concept pretty much came from the last Smash Bros graduates to his own character in a Kid Icarus revival, and then is given his own slot in the very next Smash Bros, honestly that bothered me at first but now I kind of respect it.

BlitzBlazer

Smash Rookie
I don't mind Dark Pit being in, what I do mind is him being a clone, but I'm not mad about the fact that he's in. People all over SmashBoards, Reddit, and KYM are crying out Sakurai biased, but even if he was being biased I'd say he deserves it. The man pours his heart and soul into every game he makes. People being mad at Sakurai about Kid Icarus representation disgusts me.
People who think that if development time wasn't spend on the 3 clone characters then that would mean Lucas and Wolf would make it back are naive. To quote Sakurai, "Have you ever made a game?"

Last edited:

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I hated Pittoo, then I played Kid Icarus: Uprising, and I can understand why people wanted him in the first place. Wish he hadn't been a pretty blatant clone of Pit, but I'm cool with him.

Also, his theme kicks ass. Just saying.

Last edited:

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
Honestly, I hated Pittoo, then I played Kid Icarus: Uprising, and I can understand why people wanted him in the first place. Wish he hadn't been a pretty blatant clone of Pit, but I'm cool with him.

Also, his theme kicks ***. Just saying.
His theme is the best damn music in the entire game. I really hope there is some variation of that that we can play to on one of the Kid Icarus stages.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Still salty. The extra work of having to unlock their trophies for 100% completion off sets any meager benefit of Dark Pit, Lucina, and Dr. Mario having their own roster slots.

Shog

Smash Ace
Still extremly salty, get his own victory theme which other characters wished for...

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Still upset that Kid Icarus gets 3 characters and others like Donkey Kong and Metroid have less.

But it happened.

And I have to say, I'm starting to like Dark Pit. He's a cool dude. It's a really odd feeling loving the character but hating the fact that he's there. Plus, dat theme tho.

Top Bottom