• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Alright, you grew on me, come in" thread; Pittoo edition

Morbi

Scavenger
I did "hate" him about a year ago; however, once Sakurai released the article that alluded to his inclusion, he began to grow on me. By the time he was revealed, he was my most wanted character, easily.

DoubleDeeEddBoy

Smash Cadet
NNID
DoubleDeeEddBoy
3DS FC
0834-0608-8884
There is also one other reason why I grew welcome to Pitoo and I just realized it when replaying Uprising.

I'm just gonna say that I'm gonna attempt to main Pit, go to a doubles tournament and partner up with someone someone who mains Pitoo. Why?
THIS!

Yeah, I got bored. But it would be awesome.

Last edited:

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
There is also one other reason why I grew welcome to Pitoo and I just realized it when replaying Uprising.

I'm just gonna say that I'm gonna attempt to main Pit, go to a doubles tournament and partner up with someone someone who mains Pitoo. Why?
THIS!

Yeah, I got bored. But it would be awesome.
The best part would be screaming this in the middle of a match while making some sick ass combos.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I was never bothered by his inclusion and after playing Uprising, I actually think he is a pretty cool character. I still wish he wasn't almost an 1:1 Pit clone, tho.

I can't force myself to like or be neutral on Dark Pit. I hate his addition to death but it's something I'll have to deal with anyway

Maybe he'll grow on me but I'll probably hope he won't return in the next Smash. Sorry guys. Feed on my tears :p

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I can't force myself to like or be neutral on Dark Pit. I hate his addition to death but it's something I'll have to deal with anyway

Maybe he'll grow on me but I'll probably hope he won't return in the next Smash. Sorry guys. Feed on my tears :p
Pretty sure the dark angel himself is enjoying some tasty tears. :troll:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'd have chosen others over him, but I know he probably took such minimal development time that he never really bothered me much. I'm still pretty indifferent.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
"So Dark Pit, let's try to know each other."
"Do I look like I give half a **** about getting acquainted?"
"I'm doing this so that I don't constantly use you as a punching bag."
"(Sigh)"
"Okay, so, why do you think you got in Smash."
"Cause I'm awesome."
"Be honest."
"I am."
"Punching bag. Training mode."
"Fine. Well, probably a little bias, but I make an okay clone."
"Up and down, I guess. Don't like bias."
"If Bandana Dee got in you wouldn't say that."
"Shut up. Anyways, how much of a clone are you?"
"As much as one of your mains. Doctor Mario."
"Not really. Down B."
"Final Smash"
"Down B affects much more. Also other moves are more different than your's."
"Whatever."
"This isn't going well. One last chance for you: What's your opinion of Doctor Who?"
"That show? It's rubbish"
"Nope, we are done here."

I tried.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Salty. Still. Not quite as much as it could be, though... the creampuff came back and Sakurai decided I needed two more characters to use exclusively as punching bags.

And "Dark Pit" was a secondary in Brawl anyway, Pittoo might reprise that role now.

Lazyboy0337

Smash Journeyman
I was, and somewhat still am, upset about the KI bias and Wolf getting cut so I started to play Dark Pit ironically. Only "problem" is that I realized I was pretty good at him and ended up warming up to him.

Lucina on the other hand...

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
At first, I was a tad disappointed in Pittoo's inclusion. But I decided to go back and play Uprising again, really wanting to give his character a chance. He's definitely interesting, and at the end of the day, I'll never be "mad" at Sakurai for wanting to add another character to the roster, clone or not. I do wish he weren't as blatant of a clone of Pit Prime, though.

In terms of gameplay, I've come to vastly prefer Dark Pit to his goody-two-shoes counterpart. His arrows feel more consistent and his Electroshock Arm is very satisfying to land. Not to mentoin that badass Final Smash. He's fun, even someone I could see myself mastering as a backup Main behind Shulk, Greninja, and Robin. I can definitely say that he's grown on me.

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
To be honest, yeah. At first I didn't exactly care for his inclusion, but then I got more into Kid Icarus and I started to grow on him some more and actually use him in Smash.

Maikou

Smash Ace
At first, I was a tad disappointed in Pittoo's inclusion. But I decided to go back and play Uprising again, really wanting to give his character a chance. He's definitely interesting, and at the end of the day, I'll never be "mad" at Sakurai for wanting to add another character to the roster, clone or not. I do wish he weren't as blatant of a clone of Pit Prime, though.

In terms of gameplay, I've come to vastly prefer Dark Pit to his goody-two-shoes counterpart. His arrows feel more consistent and his Electroshock Arm is very satisfying to land. Not to mentoin that badass Final Smash. He's fun, even someone I could see myself mastering as a backup Main behind Shulk, Greninja, and Robin. I can definitely say that he's grown on me.
I feel exactly the same on the "blatant clone" part. Seriously, the least they could've done was give him the more relaxed/calm Bow stance from Uprising so you can tell at a glance the difference between Metal Pit and Metal Dark Pit.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Dark Pit was such an atrocious choice for a character that I now adore him. I g-guess I'm tsundere after all. :nervous:

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
I've always liked Dark Pit in Uprising and at first was indifferent about his inclusion to Smash as a clone, considering that I like playing Lucina as well.

Then I saw the usefulness of his Silver Bow and Electroshock Arm compared to Pit's weapons and was sold.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
So his standard attacks all work identically? Only two specials and his FS are different?

Then what's even the point? Lucina might have identical animations, but the change to the tipper mechanic makes basically all her moves operate at least a little differently. Doc has the tornado, a different dair, and his other specials have slightly different characteristics and has differences in several of his standards as well.

He literally could be replaced with two custom moves for Pit. All he does is make me have to complete classic/all-star/multi-man/home run contest/target blast/etc. with Pit twice in order to finish challenges. What fun.

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
So yeah, at first I didn't like him, because he used to be a color swap and could have stayed that way, but then I played him...

I now use him regularly in For Glory mode.

Comorant

Smash Cadet
Dark Pit has grown a bit on me because of one reason alone.

SUPER ARMOR ELECTROSHOCK ARM.

But really Dark Pit is essentially going to be Pit for people who give very little about arrow control.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Edgy Pit >Pit

All jokes aside, I love his recolors and his electroshock's super armor.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
He definitely grew on me but I think I understand now why he is a clone we all know he could have been an alt as Sakurai Stated but I think Sakurai was tying to give Dark Pit (when he was still an alt) a different Final Smash to replicate the way he created him in Kid Icarus Uprising so when the opportunity to put in Clone characters came around he just said eh why not :) I like Pittoo better than regular Pit now X3

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Dark Pit has grown a bit on me because of one reason alone.

SUPER ARMOR ELECTROSHOCK ARM.

But really Dark Pit is essentially going to be Pit for people who give very little about arrow control.
Electroshock Arm also deflects projectiles as well (just like Pit's Upperdash Arm), and I agree with the arrow control part which is why I took Dark Pit over Pit, plus Dark Pit has some of the best recolors in the game.

Last edited:

Valzy

Smash Cadet
In general I don't like clones, but I do prefer Dark Pit over Pit. What I really hate is Wii Fit Trainer and Villager. This is a fighting game with the mightiest heroes and villians from nintendo's games, and then they deicde to put in a ****ing Yoga Trainer and Farmer. Would much rather have Snake, Wolf, or Mewtwo back.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
In general I don't like clones, but I do prefer Dark Pit over Pit. What I really hate is Wii Fit Trainer and Villager. This is a fighting game with the mightiest heroes and villians from nintendo's games, and then they deicde to put in a ****ing Yoga Trainer and Farmer. Would much rather have Snake, Wolf, or Mewtwo back.
Thank YOU. This bothers the hell out of me if nothing else. Let's not even start with the generic dog that's less dangerous than the first grunts you encounter in Metroid games.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
There was another period when I hated him again when someone told me they're absolutely identical save for those specials, but it turns out I was lied to and there are some concrete differences in their standard attacks. Specifically, either their knockback or their knockback scaling algorithm. I'm not entirely sure which yet. So I'm not mad at him anymore. Again.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Yeah, Pittoo's grown on me. Mostly because I realized how much of a hypocrite I was being about him making it in.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I deicded to use Dark Pit for 2 reasons. One being that I was already using Pit in PM and two being that people were hating on him. :3 Started using him as a joke and then he grew on me as a fighter and now he is one of my 5 mains. : D

Last edited:

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
I don't quite mind Dark Pit that much anymore. He's pointless (to me), but it seems many people (if not most) prefer him to regular Pit. It's kind of funny, I actually prefer normal Pit to Dark Pit both as a character and as a fighter in SSB4. I appear to be one of the only ones who feel this way. They feel pretty much the same to me, so I don't know why I seem to get beat up with Dark Pit, but I'm actually pretty good with regular Pit. It makes no sense...

Valzy

Smash Cadet
I don't quite mind Dark Pit that much anymore. He's pointless (to me), but it seems many people (if not most) prefer him to regular Pit. It's kind of funny, I actually prefer normal Pit to Dark Pit both as a character and as a fighter in SSB4. I appear to be one of the only ones who feel this way. They feel pretty much the same to me, so I don't know why I seem to get beat up with Dark Pit, but I'm actually pretty good with regular Pit. It makes no sense...
Considering that this is the Dark Pit forum, most people probably like him lol

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
Considering that this is the Dark Pit forum, most people probably like him lol
That is obvious, yes. Perhaps I should have made it clear that I'm not just talking about this forum, but random places and sites on the net. I notice a lot of people prefer Dark Pit. I know this is the Dark Pit thread, I'm not an idiot.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
It's pretty inexcusable that he's using a bow. He should be wielding a rifle/melee staff the whole time.

Comorant

Smash Cadet
Lets be honest here, are the Villager and Wii Fit Trainer really that out of place when Smash Bros initially started with a green dinosaur, a singing balloon, and the world's greatest racer? Or how about the damsel in distress, the seal clubbing kids, the silhouette, and the toy robot that didn't even work half the time? A few silly characters here and there are good for Smash.

More than 3/4ths of the roster consist of classic and generally all around cool characters. Even the 13 year old with a baseball bat is a cosmic horror fighting champion. What's 2 more silly characters going to do?

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
WFT, Villager, and Duck Hunt are all better choices than Dark Pit. They're all unique move sets (and even with more time to work on Dark Pit, he'd still end up similar to Pit). For another, they've all significantly more well-known. The Duck Hunt dog is pretty iconic, being that there were over 30 million copies of that game and it was an early NES game that everyone played. Maybe you young folks don't get it because the NES was before your time (it might've been before my time if I didn't have older siblings - I don't even remember when we got the NES). I think Duck Hunt was actually one of the best retro choices they could've made (better than Japan-only suggestions).

Villager represents a high-selling series that people definitely wanted a rep for - people might've been split between Villager and Tom Nook but they definitely wanted one or the other.

And like @ Comorant Comorant said, it's not like Jigglypuff vs. Ganondorf makes any more sense. And we had Dr. Mario, Ice Climbers and ROB too, not the most bad-ass characters out there. Add in the fact that Fox and Falco were only pilots at the time they were added without being canonically great fighters... yada yada.

Dark Pit is whatever, fine as a last minute, minimal effort addition. But there's no way he's preferable to those others.

Top Bottom