• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The age-old question.....

moogle

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure the opponent is always able to tech your shine before you can get to them, assuming they have some ground to tech on.

Against heavier characters, you can "waveshine-to-grab" or "waveshine-to-upsmash" if they miss the tech.

Another thing against heavy characters, you can shine them off the stage then drop down and combo another shine, which is enough to kill DK, Fox, Falcon, Link, etc.

felix45

Smash Lord
I'll just say this then, everyone I have played that took the time to do shine cancels on me in a match would generally be punished afterwards as they rushed in with a bair or wouldn't follow up at all because they were so focused on using it.

any situation I've seen anyone take the time out to shine cancel they generally could have just grabbed and followed up with a combo much easier to do and much more effictive at that.

When I play someone that can beat me because of shine cancels or had a major part of their win contributed (or even a minor part that led into say a 50% combo) to it I will agree it is worth it. thus far though I have yet to come across anyone that could say their shine cancels really contributed to their win over me to say the least. DSHL is much much more useful and easier to do than shine cancels, go learn it, dont waste your time on using shine cancels to help you start combos.

whaahppnd

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure the opponent is always able to tech your shine before you can get to them, assuming they have some ground to tech on.
I agree with this. You can only get them if you predict (or look quickly at) which way they tech.

felix45

Smash Lord
aerial -> shine = anti shield grab
you can always arial > grab yourself as well

either that or arial > jab > whatever

allthough that does indeed work

I admit there is a use I have found for the shine other than shine spikes. If you for some reason openly smash into an opponents shield (any smash attack, even up) you can shine jump cancel the first chance you get and if the opponent is any good they would have tried to approach you to take advantage of the after lag of the hit. the canceled shine would make them get hit and not be able to capitalize on your mistake, and in turn let you capitalize on falling for your mindgame (allthough I personally dont see any other followups you could consistantly do aside from a grab or dash attack maybe)

a bit situational though, but if you like to mindgame your opponent like this it could actually be pretty useful.

PikashoX

Smash Apprentice
wait...

if you upsmash with fox and the opponent shields it...you can get off a shine cancel BEFORE the opponent has a chance to capitalize on the lag?

felix45

Smash Lord
wait...

if you upsmash with fox and the opponent shields it...you can get off a shine cancel BEFORE the opponent has a chance to capitalize on the lag?
well if they come in and grab or something, but if it is like kirby fsmashing or whatever that isn't going to help. The usmash leaves them sitting there for a bit if they had their shield up which can give you enough time.

I guess really it depends on what part of the usmash you hit the shield with and how well spaced you were.

Top Bottom