• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Adorable Assistant of ACNL: Isabelle Discussion Thread

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Moveset in the OP has got that all covered for you~
Villager doesn't even cover all that much of AC, only a few things you can personally do such as pull weeds and use tools. They don't even use all the main tools, the fishing rod is nowhere to be seen, and some moves are completely made up like the bowling ball and the stick. They have nothing on the plethora of home or character customisation, Public Works Projects, or even abstract things like flowers, emotions, or character summoning.
My thoughts exactly. There is quite a bit to do in AC that has yet to be covered that would translate to a fun, unconventional fighting style.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I’d be happy to play as Isabelle in whatever role she takes, but I’m really hoping she doesn’t end up as an Echo fighter.

Villager’s moveset is a near-perfect representation of Animal Crossing’s gameplay (weird fishing rod neglect aside), but I think Isabelle could be a unique fighter that more accurately captures the spirit and personality of the series. One idea that I’ve really latched onto is her using the numerous emotions from the games for a lot of her attacks. Some examples I had are the “!” and “?” as potential uptilt/upsmash, laughter as a nair, or sorrow for a down smash (the tears having a hitbox). Obviously some of them would have to be reworked, but they are all a pretty big part of what makes AC so stylizedand unique, and I think Isabelle is a perfect way to represent that. Add some moves representing her clumsiness/flightiness, utilizing party poppers, and other leftover materials like fruit and seashells, and you have a unique character and a perfect Isabelle.

That said, I care more about her being on the roster than about how she fights. I just want to see Isabelle showing up alonside the biggest Nintendo stars!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Fishing rod...
Isabelle as tiny Scorpion clone?

"Get over here!... Please?"

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Possibly leaked message of loz18:

https://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/427289323

Remember I don't want my inbox flooded again so please don't spread this around. 1. Yes Skull Kid is very very likely from my sources, I trust him quite a fair bit because he was the one that played the E3 demo early with me and is a good friend of mind. 2. My other sources have said Spirits will be a pseduo adventure of sorts, but with bosses like Dracula. This lines up with what I have seen internally as well. 3. Incineroar is looking more and more likely. 4. Isabelle is most likely bull****, I don't know where Verge is getting his info from but all my sources are saying she isn't in the game.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
"4. Isabelle is most likely bull****, I don't know where Verge is getting his info from but all my sources are saying she isn't in the game."

Wait, since when his "sources" are confirming what's absolutely in and what's not? do these "sources" know everything about the final roster already? I honestly am not believing this PM is real , and even if the PM is actually real, I don't think his sources know "everything" to confirm what's in and what's not.

Plus, the fact that Sakurai decided to show an Animal Crossing AT and it wasn't Isabelle, the most iconic AT that could have been shown from AC, it really only helps her chances of making it in more rather than the opposite, regardless of what loz18 says (which in the end to me sounds like he is just asuming that his sources know everything and anything else that he hears is bs, as he calls it.). I wouldn't sleep on that PM for the moment being, specially after Simon being confirmed and her missing from the AT massacre.

cybersai

Smash Ace
If Isabelle isn't playable I guess it's because Sakurai felt her character wasn't suited for fighting. He said the same thing about Villager but changed his mind just to give Animal Crossing a rep.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
It's not even confirmed that that's loz haha. I wouldn't think much of it.
This. Besides, how the heck would his sources know about the entire roster to assume she is not making it in already? lol seems totally unlikely.

Edit: big news, that PM is fake, loz18 just confirmed it himself.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
This. Besides, how the heck would his sources know about the entire roster to assume she is not making it in already? lol seems totally unlikely.

Edit: big news, that PM is fake, loz18 just confirmed it himself.
Can you post a screencap to my pm box on Loz saying this.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Can you post a screencap to my pm box on Loz saying this.
I didn't see it myself but I took @Arcanir 's word of it since he is the one that mentioned it on the Smash Ultimate Discussion thread (page 2927 I think). Maybe he got a screencap?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Just popping in to say I support Isabelle,
She could be a great fighter or echo fighter, either one works in my opinion.
Also I love dogs (even though iv'e never had one).
So yeah, put me on the list if you wanna.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I checked and we've got 40 assist trophies revealed so far. They said there was "over 50" at the start of all this so things are looking good for Isabelle.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
New stuff from verge:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...mate_newcomer_in_the_smash/e3zrfj0/?context=3

Keep in mind that this is only one source telling this info to Verge, not the rest of the sources. That source may or may not be reliable.
Hopefully that one source is mistaken, I'm still in the camp that would like to see her unique. Still, It's good that he's checking with his sources before making claims, we'll have to wait and see if others corroborate this or not.

Smithn

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4332 5240 6154
Im just gonna say that one of her costumes could look like digby
I had that idea too, or at the very least she should have her winter outfit as a series of alts.
If they really want to go crazy they could have every alt change her into a different neighbor like Bowser Jr and the koopalings, but I think they'll stick with Isabelle and maybe Digby.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I dreamed about Isabelle last night, and in the dream she was de-confirmed for Smash. I think my worries are getting the better of me

The Puffer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-1171-5786
It’s so nice to think that Isabelle has an actual shot of making it into the base roster, either as an Echo or as an unique fighter.

If she were indeed to become an Echo fighter, I hope they do something a la Chrom for her to reflect her more pacifist personality, like making her less aggressive and more defensive: imagine getting fruit instead of wood when chopping down the tree, or transforming the proyectiles catched with pocket into more fruit to recover health; maybe replacing the slingshot with a party popper and the plant pot with paperwork. Ughhhh I really hope she gets in.

EDIT: I totally forgot to mention that I 100% support the best secretary puppy

Last edited:

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
Had a shower thought, not sure if people think if this is obvious but:

There must be a reason Kapp'n, Knuckles, and the Moon were chosen as new assist trophies to showcase while Isabelle, Shadow, and Skull Kid still remain missing.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Had a shower thought, not sure if people think if this is obvious but:

There must be a reason Kapp'n, Knuckles, and the Moon were chosen as new assist trophies to showcase while Isabelle, Shadow, and Skull Kid still remain missing.
I mean, they're all new assist trophies, so it could be that they just wanted to show off the new ones (and to de-confirm Ashley). Obviously they wanted to show off the Moon assist trophy because it looks very cool and unique. Kapp'n honestly reminds me of Piplup from Brawl with the way it works, so it's not entirely unique, but still new. Knuckles... is just a popular Sonic character, so that may be why they wanted to show him off. But nonetheless it's pretty interesting that they've shown off some older assist trophies at E3 and this Direct, but chose not to show off Shadow, Skull Kid, and Isabelle. I think the three of them are the most talked about right now (along with Geno) and probably have the biggest chance out of anyone else.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
I’d be happy to play as Isabelle in whatever role she takes, but I’m really hoping she doesn’t end up as an Echo fighter.

Villager’s moveset is a near-perfect representation of Animal Crossing’s gameplay (weird fishing rod neglect aside), but I think Isabelle could be a unique fighter that more accurately captures the spirit and personality of the series. One idea that I’ve really latched onto is her using the numerous emotions from the games for a lot of her attacks. Some examples I had are the “!” and “?” as potential uptilt/upsmash, laughter as a nair, or sorrow for a down smash (the tears having a hitbox). Obviously some of them would have to be reworked, but they are all a pretty big part of what makes AC so stylizedand unique, and I think Isabelle is a perfect way to represent that. Add some moves representing her clumsiness/flightiness, utilizing party poppers, and other leftover materials like fruit and seashells, and you have a unique character and a perfect Isabelle.

That said, I care more about her being on the roster than about how she fights. I just want to see Isabelle showing up alonside the biggest Nintendo stars!
I'm with you in the sense I really hope Isabelle is not an echo. First off, I feel like her using Villager's moves wouldn't make sense and would look quite weird in retrospect. Imagine her using his recovery, which is basically a nod to Villager looking like the Balloon Fighter. Plus, Villager's design for Smash Bros Wii U was most likely finalized before New Leaf, so a lot of the stuff that happens in that game is not represented in Smash. Isabelle being an echo would be a missed opportunity and New Leaf was such an incredible game that needs someone like her to showcase it's glory.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I'm with you in the sense I really hope Isabelle is not an echo. First off, I feel like her using Villager's moves wouldn't make sense and would look quite weird in retrospect. Imagine her using his recovery, which is basically a nod to Villager looking like the Balloon Fighter. Plus, Villager's design for Smash Bros Wii U was most likely finalized before New Leaf, so a lot of the stuff that happens in that game is not represented in Smash. Isabelle being an echo would be a missed opportunity and New Leaf was such an incredible game that needs someone like her to showcase it's glory.
But what new stuff from New Leaf could be incorporated into Isabelle's moveset that is unique from the earlier games?

Luminario

Smash Lord
But what new stuff from New Leaf could be incorporated into Isabelle's moveset that is unique from the earlier games?
The Public Works Projects for one thing. They give her the easy option of being a trapper, a unique gimmick since Snake lost his down smash landmine. She would theoretically also be able to sprout them as smash attacks and could terraform the stage for control.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
The Public Works Projects for one thing. They give her the easy option of being a trapper, a unique gimmick since Snake lost his down smash landmine. She would theoretically also be able to sprout them as smash attacks and could terraform the stage for control.
I guess I need to learn more about her in Animal Crossing, since I don't really understand these gimmicks she could have

Luminario

Smash Lord
I guess I need to learn more about her in Animal Crossing, since I don't really understand these gimmicks she could have
It's unlikely to be anything too complicated though. Simply a manhole that has Resetti pop put of it when an opponent steps on is a potential move for example. There's a moveset in the OP if you're interested.

Axicos

Smash Rookie
I support Isabelle. I want the best secretary pup in the game.

She's probably an echo IMO with a few different changes similar to Chrom. (Like the Balloon Fighter recovery). I'd like her to be unique, who wouldn't, but an Echo would be infinitely easier to make and Isabelle doesn't seem as high priority as King K. Rool or Ridley.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I have a somewhat ominous prediction about Isabelle.

I believe that Isabelle will get in as a unique newcomer. She will be unique not because she lacks the qualities to become an echo (close enough proportions, Villager move set could work with her), but because she is an extremely popular, promoted, and marketable character with enough moveset potential to warrant a unique move set.

What I find ominous about my prediction is that I feel that Isabelle will become the go to character to complain about. “Why did Isabelle have to take a unique move set slot, she could have been an echo and *insert popular character here* could have gotten in instead”

At the end of the day, I’d be ecstatic if Isabelle is unique or an echo, but I’m already prepping myself for potential backlash if she’s unique.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

I believe that Isabelle will get in as a unique newcomer. She will be unique not because she lacks the qualities to become an echo (close enough proportions, Villager move set could work with her), but because she is an extremely popular, promoted, and marketable character with enough moveset potential to warrant a unique move set.

What I find ominous about my prediction is that I feel that Isabelle will become the go to character to complain about. “Why did Isabelle have to take a unique move set slot, she could have been an echo and *insert popular character here* could have gotten in instead”

At the end of the day, I’d be ecstatic if Isabelle is unique or an echo, but I’m already prepping myself for potential backlash if she’s unique.
I wouldn't mind the backlash. People can be salty all they want if she gets in as a unique fighter :) People have been getting all the characters they want (K Rool, Simon, Ridley) and I personally don't care about any of those three, though the Castlevania stage looks awesome. If the majority of the fans can get the characters they want, then we should get what we want, too: Isabelle.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
People will get salty over anything anyway. Getting X instead of Y, getting an echo of a serie they dislike (with Chrom, there's obviously backlash because it's a blue haired lord... A bonus blue haired lord), or even getting your character but not the way you want (I've seen big amount of hatred for Dark Samus being an echo, despite the work done on her). Or in Isabelle's case, getting a cute character instead of a "charismatic character" (I've seen that, really).

Of course these are a minority, thanks god for that. The smash community is still happy with the love put in Smash for the most part.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord

With the fans of Geno, Skull Kid, Isaac, etc. being filled with more hope than ever and others are starting to believe that this entire newcomer pool will be ballot-focused, any unique newcomer that shys away from that will inevitably receive a ton of hate. It'll happen for the Pokemon newcomer even though I'm sure that TPC would've demanded for one to rep Sun & Moon, and it'd happen for Isabelle too. You're going to hear the "they stole a slot" argument, and they'll feel that they have a genuine case.

I do believe that Isabelle will be an echo, though. Chrom opens up a little leeway for Isabelle to not be 1 to 1 with Villager, even if you don't believe Verge when he says that one of his sources claim she's an echo.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
With the fans of Geno, Skull Kid, Isaac, etc. being filled with more hope than ever and others are starting to believe that this entire newcomer pool will be ballot-focused, any unique newcomer that shys away from that will inevitably receive a ton of hate. It'll happen for the Pokemon newcomer even though I'm sure that TPC would've demanded for one to rep Sun & Moon, and it'd happen for Isabelle too. You're going to hear the "they stole a slot" argument, and they'll feel that they have a genuine case.

I do believe that Isabelle will be an echo, though. Chrom opens up a little leeway for Isabelle to not be 1 to 1 with Villager, even if you don't believe Verge when he says that one of his sources claim she's an echo.
A lot of people will probably think that Isabelle doesn't deserve the slot, but they have to understand that she's not only the face of Animal Crossing but also the only Nintendo All-Star to not be in the game (though Dixie could kind of be argued as a Nintendo All-Star, but Isabelle is without a doubt). If any Nintendo character deserves to be in the game, it's Isabelle. Animal Crossing isn't Animal Crossing without her at this point, and it just wouldn't look right to see Villager without Isabelle. I mean, why else did they put both Villager and Isabelle as DLC for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? Because you can't represent Animal Crossing without Isabelle

People will get salty over anything anyway. Getting X instead of Y, getting an echo of a serie they dislike (with Chrom, there's obviously backlash because it's a blue haired lord... A bonus blue haired lord), or even getting your character but not the way you want (I've seen big amount of hatred for Dark Samus being an echo, despite the work done on her). Or in Isabelle's case, getting a cute character instead of a "charismatic character" (I've seen that, really).

Of course these are a minority, thanks god for that. The smash community is still happy with the love put in Smash for the most part.
We need more cute characters! Daisy is probably the only new cute character, and maybe Inklings (though I think they look more cool than cute). Sakurai knows that not everyone wants to play as a manly, muscular monster or anything like that, and that some of us want cute and adorable fighters and Isabelle fits that bill.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
We need more cute characters! Daisy is probably the only new cute character, and maybe Inklings (though I think they look more cool than cute). Sakurai knows that not everyone wants to play as a manly, muscular monster or anything like that, and that some of us want cute and adorable fighters and Isabelle fits that bill.
Well, other than Daisy and Inklings (they are cute, although Octolings act in quieter and cuter manners), the selection is hopefully diverse so far. K.Rool, Ridley and Dark Samus have nothing in common for monsters (especially K.Rool, who is cartoony), and even Richter and Simon look very differently. Chrom... Well, that's Chrom :p

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

I FEEL THE SAME WAY! I FEEL THIS WILL DEFINITELY HAPPEN!

Should it happen, I will bring up my non-combatant arguments yet again for people to really understand the situation.

Top Bottom