• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ability to control stage hazards: the likelihood and desirability of such an option

Do you think their should be an option to turn off stage hazards?

• I believe we should be able to turn off all stage hazards, bosses, and/or transformations as we see

Votes: 44 62.0%
  • I believe there should be an option to turn off stage bosses

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Stage hazards should always be on. It's how the game was intended to be

Votes: 6 8.5%

• Total voters

UnicornDemon

Smash Journeyman
Stage hazards: They exist. And it appears they will continue to exist as long as Smash Bros. But should they?

It's no secret that many of the stages for both the Wii U and 3DS version contain a plethora of rowdy stage hazards. That's all fine and dandy for the occasional FFA romp (although even then they tend to get in the way). But what about for your 1v1 or 2v2 battles? Wouldn't it be nice to turn off stage hazards/transformations for matches? Wouldn't it be absolutely beautiful if you could play on Pokemon Stadium 2 without the stage alterations, or have an intense 1v1 on Wily's Castle without the Yellow Devil stepping in?

Anyways, I am curious - How likely do you think the following are, and how much do you want them:
1. The ability to turn off stage bosses
2. The ability to turn off stage hazards and stage transfromations altogether. Stages that progress would instead remain in one place, e.g. for Rainbow Cruise you would battle on the ship the whole time.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Sakurai said:
You will still be able to control the apparition of items, but you won't be able to turn off stage hazards. If we did that, you'd find yourself with PSASB!
Not happening, and he hasn't gone back on his word so far.
His solution is the Omega form (FD version) of these stages.

Last edited:

UnicornDemon

Smash Journeyman
Not happening, and he hasn't gone back on his word so far.
His solution is the Omega form (FD version) of these stages.
Sigh... such a shame. Still, I'm interested in the public's opinion regarding whether or not they like stage hazards and want an option to turn them off (similar to turning off items). After all, if a consensus can be reached that an option to turn off stage hazards should exist, than maybe our universal want will influence Sakurai to change his mind, perhaps with a patch or for future smash titles.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I don't mind stage hazards at all and I wouldn't turn them off given the option. :) That said, I would still like to have the option. Having a more diverse variety of competitively viable stages with unique platform layouts is always welcome.

Elaith

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sonic12040
I don't think stages would have quite the personality they do now without hazards, and I voted with that opinion. That being said, I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest with the option existing, as everyone enjoys games their own way.

Spirst

I don't mind stage hazards much either. Like the posters above me, it would be ideal as a customizable toggle though. With a game as open as Smash, everyone wants to experience it differently. This would be a way to give everyone the option and make them happy. For example, in Mega-Mans stage, I'm sure many people would appreciate the ability to disable the Yellow Devil stageboss so that the stage may be better used as a real competitve pick.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Sadly we can't turn them off because sakurai is against options. He said in some interview he doesn't want the game to be like playstation allstars. I don't want to fight the yellow devil all the time and if i do want no stage boss i gotta get rid of all the platforms it sucks.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's always frustrating when a perfectly fine stage gets ruined by needless mechanics, as in the case of Wily's Castle and the Yellow Devil, so I'd love to be able to turn it off. However, I don't believe it's going to be an option, IIRC Sakurai's response to such a suggestion was simply "lol nope we're not making PSASBR" which is a poor excuse imo.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
I think the idea of playing the FD form to turn off hazards is fine for me.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'd rather be able to toggle hazards than make the stage flat (always have disliked FD for being boring), but as has been pointed out, Sakurai said somewhere that we're out of luck on that regard.

Farorae

Smash Ace
I really don't see it happening. I think it would be a good idea, but that's alright because won't affect me much however it turns out.

Khao

Smash Lord
I would love the option to turn them off, there's a few stages I think are cool but don't like playing at because of the hazard and changes.

Buuuuuuuuuuut honestly, as long as there's still hazard-less stages available, I don't really mind.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
To be honest, most of the hazards we've seen have been non-lethal, well-forecast, and interesting. Time will tell how polarizing they are to matchup balance, but history shows us that there is nothing innately wrong with stage hazards.

Halberd is a great example of this.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Sadly we can't turn them off because sakurai is against options. He said in some interview he doesn't want the game to be like playstation allstars. I don't want to fight the yellow devil all the time and if i do want no stage boss i gotta get rid of all the platforms it sucks.
I'd love to see this interview.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I request you link the interview article. That or I don't believe that's what Sakurai actually thinks.

Anyways, Ω Forms are meant to remedy this problem. But at the expense of using different platform arrangements to suit certain characters better. I'm open to the idea of a hazard switch that allows you to toggle hazards, bosses, transitions for stages that have them.

Besides, it's not like it would take away from people who want to use them or play For Fun. Otherwise, if TOs really want to get around an FD exclusive metagame, then they can just make a stagelist like always.

Although, it would be really rad if there was a separate Random Stage Switch for Ω Forms alone.

Shuckle89

Smash Apprentice
Yup, I've heard him say that too. Like I said, would be great if it was added, but it won't. But, like others said, for as long as there are at least a few neutral stages it's okay.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I don't think stages would have quite the personality they do now without hazards, and I voted with that opinion. That being said, I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest with the option existing, as everyone enjoys games their own way.
I am worried that, were such an option to exist, the stages would be designed with it in mind, meaning that we'd get no non-gamebreaking hazards and thus forcing the use of the option.
Small, predictable hazards add more to stage specific gameplay than they take away.

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I don't get why a "Turn Off Gimmicks" feature wasn't implemented. It worked well for Mario Power Tennis...

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
Wouldn't mind turning the bosses off I suppose, but stage hazards are like smash bros bread and butter to me design wise.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I'd like for there to be separate options to turn on/off bosses, hazards, and transformations.

Also, for transformations, I'd like there to be some option to pick which transformation the stage starts and stays in. So for a stage like Castle Siege there would be separate options for Phase 1, Phase 2 and Phase 3.

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
The closest thing we're getting is the FD-ized versions of every stage in the no fun allowed For Glory mode.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
What about the option to turn on hazards and bosses for stages that don't have any? That way they won't feel left out.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Here is the interview where Sakurai said "lolnope, then it would be Playstation All-Stars."
I knew that game would eventually come to haunt us. If they never made it he might have been fine with offering such an option. Curse you Sony!!!

BTW, technically, with Stage Builder this feature is included. Can't we make a custom stage on Stage Builder and just make it a carbon copy like the real stage except omit the hazards?

Last edited:
Top Bottom