• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The 20XX Melee Training Hack Pack (v5.0.2 - 1/20/2023)

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
So nqztv tested this and it's now confirmed to be a problem in the vanilla game (via debug menu), and not just the hack pack.
In 2.04, If you play as Fox and CP is Falco, and you play on Pokemon Stadium, your hitboxes are invisible. Hitboxes become visible during stage transformations and during certain CP behavior (when he's dying or respawning, for example). Falco also has a single hitbox appear under him that corresponds to Fox. I can tell because it turns blue when I roll. I tested a few other matchups (Doc, Luigi, Kirby, Marth as CP) and hitbox worked as usual.

Strange. Is that in the vanilla game, too?

Achilles1515

Smash Master
So I'd like to restate myself since it seems I've been dodged.

Achilles is more than 4 characters long and can be used as a name.
Explain to me how you edited the game's code to make Achilles work properly.
Show me how I can do it.
This post should give you all the information you need to write your own code (Action Replay / Gecko Code). What I did was write an ASM code that, for all intents and purposes, writes "Achilles" to name tag slot 1 every frame of the game while on the CSS.
I did mod it properly. It loads fine on the dolphin emulator but will not load under wiiflow/Dios-Mios-booter.
Well its booting a regular melee from somewhere and it can't be from an ISO that has file hard modded.

In 2.04, If you play as Fox and CP is Falco, and you play on Pokemon Stadium, your hitboxes are invisible. Hitboxes become visible during stage transformations and during certain CP behavior (when he's dying or respawning, for example). Falco also has a single hitbox appear under him that corresponds to Fox. I can tell because it turns blue when I roll. I tested a few other matchups (Doc, Luigi, Kirby, Marth as CP) and hitbox worked as usual.

Strange. Is that in the vanilla game, too?
Probably. All the collision bubbles code does is change one byte (the byte that normally gets changed in develop mode) from 01 to 02/03. It's nothing fancy. Because of this, probably any "issues" relating to it are present in the regular game.

In the pokemon stadium scenario you stated, if Falco does a neutral B then Fox's hurtboxes appear. Weird. Input the toggle to make Falco shl.

11Skies

Smash Cadet
This post should give you all the information you need to write your own code (Action Replay / Gecko Code). What I did was write an ASM code that, for all intents and purposes, writes "Achilles" to name tag slot 1 every frame of the game while on the CSS.

Well its booting a regular melee from somewhere and it can't be from an ISO that has file hard modded.

Probably. All the collision bubbles code does is change one byte (the byte that normally gets changed in develop mode) from 01 to 02/03. It's nothing fancy. Because of this, probably any "issues" relating to it are present in the regular game.

In the pokemon stadium scenario you stated, if Falco does a neutral B then Fox's hurtboxes appear. Weird. Input the toggle to make Falco shl.

Thank you, I'm making tags for my friends on my community/regional group, they're pretty happy. Thanks for the help. I made it work.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
**New Version Release**

(20XX v2.05)
Download Link with Instructions
- P2 CPU no longer Smash DI's hits --> more realistic now.
- P2 CPU has an increased chance of teching.
- Easter Egg button activator is changed to holding A+B instead of just A at the start of a match.
- Unrestricted camera pause.
- New 20XX start screen (compliments of Qual_).
- GmTtAll.usd file that has been added to the pack.

Main page has been updated with the download link.

To-Do:
- Make in-game toggles work when using d-pad up to start a game
- Look into the CPU's air dodging
- Look into more code lines using gameconfig.txt (not DOL mods, but more possibilities)
- Experiment more with this:

And the "feature list" needs to be updated a bit, but I probably won't do this until I get back to a computer that can access Imgur and Gfycat. I'm on a business trip with only my work laptop at the moment....which, unfortunately, has a web filter :( Thank god Smashboards isn't blocked though.

Last edited:

OninO

Smash Journeyman
Hello, has anyone experienced crashing with their version of the 20xx pack. In Melee with a character selected by the 2nd controller (is this how you're meant to do it?) trying to activate the "P2 Hold shield" command causes the game to crash. Any idea how to deal with this?

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Hello, has anyone experienced crashing with their version of the 20xx pack. In Melee with a character selected by the 2nd controller (is this how you're meant to do it?) trying to activate the "P2 Hold shield" command causes the game to crash. Any idea how to deal with this?
Just have Player 2 be a CPU and then have either P1, P3, or P4 do the button activation to make P2 perform an action.

OninO

Smash Journeyman
Ok, never mind I'm a fool. I had my controllers plugged into 3 and 4 on the wii, so giving any commands to P2 was causing it to crash. Problem solved!

edb1rd

Smash Rookie
Thanks so much for the new release. I was wondering how hard it would be to change the stage colors and backgrounds if at all possible with this mod?

Doser

Smash Ace
It seems that captain falcon only techs in place after sheik's downthrow now. I've rebooted my wii several times and he still only techs in place. It seems that the others (I've tested fox and falco at least) are still teching randomly.

Last edited:

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
Thanks so much for the new release. I was wondering how hard it would be to change the stage colors and backgrounds if at all possible with this mod?
this mod dosnt have anything to do with stage texture hacking, but you can put your own stage textures in and it wont change anything.

flaw

Smash Apprentice
With the version before latest, I built my own iso using the youtube guide. When I play the game in dolphin and press dpad-> down on the stage select screen I either crash right away or crash when I load the stage. I assume this is not normal and that my iso is corrupted or something?

PS. Doser: http://www.qlranks.com/duel/player/regent

PSS. Nevermind, you press down at the character select screen, I got it now. And magically the stage striking is working now... Nice work

Last edited:

Chuckles

Smash Apprentice
Anyone had trouble mounting the iso onto a usb stick in WBFS? Every time I try to click "add to drive" it flashes and says HBC Entries were added and im like... -_- Shouldn't it take like a couple minutes to burn a gig? Halp please??

Achilles1515

Smash Master

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
Anyone had trouble mounting the iso onto a usb stick in WBFS? Every time I try to click "add to drive" it flashes and says HBC Entries were added and im like... -_- Shouldn't it take like a couple minutes to burn a gig? Halp please??
Y u no use NTFS? You can even convert your WBFS device to FAT 32 and still have your games. All in WBFS format, which reduces their size.

Given that we are emulating a GC game, FAT32 with 32KB allocation size must be the format

Last edited:

Atom`

Smash Rookie
NNID
SSBrawlMelee
3DS FC
0318-8048-9695
Anyone have a nice banner I can import for this? I'd primarily be using it in dolphin, and I'd like something to distinguish between the two versions of Melee.

SuperUltraDX

Smash Rookie
So no one else is having the issue where captain falcon only techs in place when you down throw him as Sheik?
I just messed with it for a couple of minutes. For me it seems like Falcon techs in place a lot more (like 90% of the time) when he's level 1. When I tried levels 4 and 9, he was mixing it up way more. So, try other CPU levels if you haven't.

shminkledorf

Smash Ace
Alright; time to play the "how am I messing this up" game.

Opened up GCR, imported the new start.dol over the old one (Which is already a 20XX iso), saved changes, booted and for some reason it still is the previous version. Is there a step that isn't in the instructions for just replacing the .dol or am I just unable to follow like 4 steps?

EDIT: Also tried rebuilding the iso, didn't fix it either

Last edited:

I.B

Smash Lord
A couple things:

1. None of the out of shield options work for CPU Sheik. Only hold shield. Anyone else having this problem?
2. Achilles, would it be possible to code for frame perfect wavedash or up+b out of shield?

Doser

Smash Ace
A couple things:

1. None of the out of shield options work for CPU Sheik. Only hold shield. Anyone else having this problem?
2. Achilles, would it be possible to code for frame perfect wavedash or up+b out of shield?
I just checked sheik, and she is doing all of the out of shield commands for me.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
A couple things:

Sheik is doing everything for me as well. Just make sure you are using Z to switch Zelda to Sheik.

And I could quite easily program those things but it would require a decent amount of code lines - for turning on the actions and then actually performing the actions. I'm only trying to do smaller changes at the moment, before I look into adding more actions.

Kou

Smash Apprentice
Getup-Attack of cpu who is tumbling is too frequent, I think.
Can you fix this?

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
I updated to 2.05. The teching seems improved and the SDI is definitely gone. Great! My issue is that the CPU seems to still get stuck in "states" where he will tumble fall and either do normal getup or getup attack and then shine-in-place to reset the teching mechanism. If you don't allow him to do the shine he won't tech. It's weird lol.

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
Im enjoying using 2.05 but ive found some bugs. Whenever I try and access the debug menu>versus mode>rule submenu my game crashes, anyone else have this problem? Also when you change the camera to "zoom" in training mode, the camera becomes SEVERELY screwed up, its a very small problem and its not worth extra lines of code to fix, Im just mentioning it. I have also noticed that sometimes that up and x are spammed on the menu screens even when no controllers are plugged in, think it might have something to do with the p2 hacked AI codes working on the menus. to replicate the last glitch go to training mode and set the CP type to human, then exit to the modes menu.

Last edited:

Kou

Smash Apprentice
I've forgotten I found a bug(?).

Skip result screen doesn't work on a match from debug menu and sudden death of "Melee" mode.
Setting sudden death aside,
I want to play with CPU whose type is NOT "normal", so I want to make this available for a match from debug menu.

Last edited:

Malurth

Smash Cadet
Would you consider changing the savestate stuff to be a button combo rather than a straight up press of the Dpad? I've experienced many crashes because of inadvertent presses and it straight up interferes with some things, like doing Samus's extended grapple.

thundrio

Smash Cadet
Are the individual asm codes/dol mods used in the hack pack available online anywhere, or would I have to extract them from the .dol file (if so, would this be difficult).

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
Why won't it let me do 1 player versus? it will auto finish the match.

EDIT: Nevermind.... haha. Figured it out

Last edited:

Chuckles

Smash Apprentice
As an IC main, how exactly can I best utilize this pack? I've been practicing my Shield pressure options against spacies but I feel like I'm missing out on something more.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
Achilles I figured out my 100% Issue now and i would like to request you update this portion to your OP.

Be sure your dios mios/dios mios lite is updated. I was using dios mios 2.6 and it would never load till i read my friends sd card and saw he had 2.10 updated accordingly and everything loaded very smooth. I want to thank you for all your help and i'll still be keeping a eye on this for anything else you come up with in the future. you're a mad scientist XD

Acryte

Smash Ace
Achilles, I have an idea for you idk how difficult it would be to implement but hear me out. You use the CPU slider (CPU level) as a mechanism to control the min and max response time for how characters respond within certain windows. Basically use a latency variable that is added to input precision. You grab a random number that is within those frame limits when performing certain actions or being hit, and then use it as the latency for that instance. IE, CPU get's jabbed while on ground (jab reset), grabs a random number between the min and max and then waits that many frames before responding. If he responds fast enough then he can tech roll but if not then too bad. Level 9 being frame perfect almost always, whereas level 5 lets say is decently precise but certainly not frame perfect. The idea is that the CPU level will start to determine the frequency that CPUs miss certain techs or L-cancels etc or how good they are at SDI and Tech rolling from Jab resets etc.

Then players could let's say, play against a level 2 if they want to get better at punishing missed L cancels, etc. Or lets say they wanted to practice against falco doing short hop lasers, a lower level will do it less frame perfect, meaning it will be a little slower (a little more time between lasers) and the height will vary more. Maybe they may even do some of them too low and fail to get the laser out. This would make something like playing against a peach set to use out of shield options more realistic because it's not frame perfect but varies realistically based off your settings.

Even if it only worked for the scripted inputs it would still be phenomenal. I think that it would be a truly amazing implementation if we can achieve it.

We could even use CPU Level and Handicap level as Min and Max. The only problem is if people want to use a HMN to start with instead of a CPU and then assign it stuff. I'm sure there's an intuitive way to accomplish all this.

Last edited:

Berble

Smash Apprentice
I'm loading your hacks using this tutorial by Beanwolf and CFG. Everything seems to be fine when I load up the game but whenever I try to pick a stage and start a match the game freezes (the music continues though). Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? The only other noticeable difference I see is that the main title just says Super Smash Bros Melee and not 20XX hack pack. Thanks
Edit: It finally worked but I had to sit waiting for the stage to load for about 10 minutes. Any way to shorten this?
Also all the music is random for each stage for me. Is this a result of me downloading Beanwolf's 20XX folder and not yours? He had some different stuff in his.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I'm loading your hacks using this tutorial by Beanwolf and CFG. Everything seems to be fine when I load up the game but whenever I try to pick a stage and start a match the game freezes (the music continues though). Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? The only other noticeable difference I see is that the main title just says Super Smash Bros Melee and not 20XX hack pack. Thanks
Edit: It finally worked but I had to sit waiting for the stage to load for about 10 minutes. Any way to shorten this?
Also all the music is random for each stage for me. Is this a result of me downloading Beanwolf's 20XX folder and not yours? He had some different stuff in his.
Are you booting it off an SD card or USB? If it's an SD card, what size & brand?

Oh and look at the infographic above. A toggle for "Random Stage Music" exists in the debug menu and it is defaulted to ON.

Last edited:
Top Bottom